Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 175271 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
I'm assuming that "rank" in this case is an abstract measure of how dependent Gensokyo is on said figure.

You don't "outrank" someone like Reimu. There is no objective measure of power or influence that puts Sanae over Reimu just by name. Sanae invokes the powers of Suwako and Kanako to perform miracles; even though she is partly a god by 'blood', she isn't a god, or even a half-god. Sanae's purpose is to link the everyday people with the gods that they normally could not visit by performing miracles and the likes. She is a shrine maiden in the sense that she protects the shrine that houses the gods and attempts to keep faith steady, but is also a wind priestess for her ability to channel these two gods. Her powers still hinge on the influence of the two, and because the Moriya Shrine does not house any other gods or spirits she cannot channel their abilities. Reimu has natural ability and is essentially depended upon by all of Gensokyo due to their lineage protecting the Great Hakurei Border (by the way, due to her lineage she pretty much "outranks" even Kanako and Suwako, who didn't even need to cross over for the sake of Gensokyo, but simply themselves). One of Reimu's abilities is to call upon and communicate with gods. All of them that reside in Gensokyo. Which is a lot. She does not require to bring faith to any of these gods because her powers are not dependent on them; unlike Sanae she does not channel them, she simply commands them to do things. Hakurei Shrine's god is a different story considering we don't know what it is, if there even is one besides word of mouth, and there may even be multiple. But since her powers don't depend on the gods she doesn't need them, nor does she really need to supply them faith. Which is why the faith is so low in the first place, but that's a different matter entirely.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
I was poking around in the old miscellaneous questions thread, and I found this exchange:

Oh ok. Guess it's just me, then.
Oh, yeah, when that doujin was released, I remarked on the similarity to my story which I'd written months before. :V

If either of you still remember (or if anyone else can identify that art style), can you tell me what doujin that snippet comes from?

Drake

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
Mekabu Imouto (メカブイモート) by Mekabu Fighter. It's R-18. Very very bad translation.

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
I've toyed with the idea of making an "improved" translation by just trying to salvage meaning from context ... but I don't even know where I'd put it, for one thing ...

Drake

« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
Honestly the translation is so bad you can't even salvage a good translation just by context from the bad translation. Someone is going to have to retranslate to make it accurate enough.

« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »
I was afraid of that.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
I've always been a bit curious about the translation process. Do you translate word for word, or do you take a somewhat confusing, literal translation and add some local flavor to it? (Removing concepts that don't work well in English, and altering the Japanese puns to jokes that English speakers would understand, for example.) Does it involve any looking at the pictures and guessing what the words should be?

(You know, with the latter and a translator with absolutely no sense of respect for the original, you could translate anything. It might even be better than the original if the bad translator is a better author than the original author. Or, it could be utterly terrible. But that's just me thinking aloud.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:58:53 AM by capt. h »

Drake

« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »
Puns are always bitches to deal with when you don't have an english equivalent. When you get things that only make sense in japanese you get stuff like dioxin 4koma (dan), which make absolutely no sense to an english reader unless all the jokes are explained.

Generally though you translate through both literal meaning (and expressions) and context. In other words, you attempt to keep the exact (and intended) meaning while also having it make sense in english. Just like in english and every other language out there, there isn't just one way to say something. It isn't like you can translate everything word-for-word, and not even single sentences are always the same in english (this is my cat, this cat is mine). Go too literal and your translation makes absolutely no sense; the aforementioned KoiFlan doujin gets close at points. You will still see translators that take extraordinary liberal translations, and also some who take extraordinarily literal translations (ggrks). But overall you just try to keep as much meaning as possible while attempting to have it still make sense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:18:27 AM by Drake »

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
Alice in PC-98 is an obvious reference to Alice's adventures in wonderland. Also, we know that Alice takes Eirin's Butterfly Dream Pills to keep a certain dream away.

Is it just me or did Lewis Caroll visit Gensokyo?  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
How well known is Ryunosuke Akutagawa(芥川龍之介) in Japan?
Is he someone every Japanese person would know?
Signature

Drake

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Not sure, but note that probably the only reason he was included is because he wrote a book named Kappa. Probably not a great sign that searching 芥川龍之介 河童 leads to Nitori pictures, but I couldn't really tell.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
Alice in PC-98 is an obvious reference to Alice's adventures in wonderland.

I think I heard once that ZUN also referenced her from Alice in the Persona / Megami Tensei series...
Dunno where I saw it tho.

How well known is Ryunosuke Akutagawa(芥川龍之介) in Japan?
Is he someone every Japanese person would know?
Any Japanese person who received satisfactory education will know of his name, if not for his stories for the Award named after him.
It's seriously one of the best awards a writer  can receive.
Some of his works are translated on some english pages (or at least I saw them there when I last checked.) and if you're any fan of literature, I think it'll present to be an interesting read.
...But if you're going to read, it I suggest you start with something other than Kappa since his later works (including Kappa) sometimes leaves people confused.
Hina and Torokko are my personal favorites.

Drake

« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
His later works leave people confused because he was pretty much a suicidal psychotic mess of a person who was also suffering from hallucinations during the period he wrote his last ten or so books in rapid succession.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »
His later works leave people confused because he was pretty much a suicidal psychotic mess of a person who was also suffering from hallucinations during the period he wrote his last ten or so books in rapid succession.
That was quite a mouthful to say to a dead man, wasn't it?
I don't think saying stuff like that will allow people to look at where Nitori originated from without the colour glasses of "Oh ho it's another story written by a psychotic writer."
Furthermore, even if you were going to state the same thing I think you could've done so in a  more appropriate manner.

Drake

« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2011, 05:14:05 AM »
Sorry, that was a bit much. Not to say that his works were bad at all, just that it's probably why his later works might end up confusing. He wrote Kappa pretty much as a first-person story; he was under the impression that he traveled to a kappa society and wrote about it. Even though crazy, that doesn't really mean it was a bad book.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »
A lot of people say that Mokou can't visit the netherworld because she's immortal.

That would make perfect sense in certain canon. But seeing as in touhou, the Netherworld is a place with a gate just about anyone can fly over, I have to ask why not?

As in, what's going to stop her if she does fly to Hakugyokurou like Reimu, Sakuya, and Marisa did?

I think I read this before, but I can't remember where. From where is this tidbit actually from? Perfect Memento hardly says anything about immortality in both Mokou and Kaguya's pages, as if Akyu doesn't even know what the Hourai Elixir is.

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:04 AM »
I started on Cage in Lunatic Runagate and there Reisen is said to have a strange remarkable power: She can communicate with other moon rabbits just with her mind AND on such a distance as from Earth to the moon. So I'm wondering.... does her moon friends actually let her be on Earth? Because it is said that after some time they started treating her with suspicion, because there was a possibility of her being an agent of Earth, a real traitor.
Apart from that: do the moon rabbits (not royalty, but Reisen's so called friends) don't mind her fleeing from the moon? And why did she flee anyway? She didn't run away with Eirin and Kaguya.

Mokou Fan

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
Apart from that: do the moon rabbits (not royalty, but Reisen's so called friends) don't mind her fleeing from the moon? And why did she flee anyway? She didn't run away with Eirin and Kaguya.

Reisen ran away to escape the first Lunar War. She was then taken in by Eirin and Kaguya.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »
I think I read this before, but I can't remember where. From where is this tidbit actually from? Perfect Memento hardly says anything about immortality in both Mokou and Kaguya's pages, as if Akyu doesn't even know what the Hourai Elixir is.

Relevant passages from PCB Reimu's Scenario:

試して見ないと判らないわ
なんにしても、お呼ばれしてないあなたが
ここにいる時点で死んだも同然
というか、ここに居る事自体が
死んだと言うことよ

We can't know before we try.
And in any case, uninvited girl,
being here at this point in time is same as dead.
Or more precisely, being here means you have died.

and IN Ghost Team's Extra

成仏を忘れた亡霊は新たな生を生まない。
死ねない人間は色鮮やかな冥界を知らない。
生まれ生まれ生まれ生まれて生の始めに暗く
死に死に死に、死んで死の終わりに冥し

Ghosts without a soul cannot be born...
People who can't die cannot know the world of the dead.
Eternally born into darkness is life
Eternal death at the end of the dark.

Not sure if it answers the question though. I don't think any other materials in canon address the issue (or do they?)

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any touhou replays by ZUN? I hope this is the right place to ask.

Drake

« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2011, 10:46:30 PM »
You can extract the demo replays (or download them in the Extractions section here with everything else with it), rename them and shove them in the replay folders. Other than those, I wouldn't know.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:29 AM »
According to the wiki, it states in both Hisoutensoku and OaSP that Nue lives with Byakuren and the others nowadays. I wonder though, where in Soku does it state that?  :derp:

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
One of Reimu's Post Battle quotes, IIRC. Or maybe Marisa's or Sanae's. But it's there.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
Reimu's post battle win vs Marisa:
そういえば、あの未確認飛行妖怪
結局、仏門に入門したみたいよ
お寺で寝泊まりだってさ
やっぱり地底は嫌みたいね
普通の妖怪は
Speaking of which, that unidentified flying youkai
got converted to Buddhism
and is now living at the temple.
I guess the normal youkai
really hate the underground.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
Remember that 'youkai and other shapeshifting beings who drink Hourai Elixir might not be able to shapeashift anymore' question I made from a while back? I think that's not the case after all. Why? Sun Wukong, the Monkey King from the tale 'Journey to the West', is a quintuple immortal by writing his name out of the book of death, eating a celestial peach, drinking/eating (Hourai) Immortality Elixir THREE times and to top it all off had his skin tempered to indestructibility in a heavenly furnace, yet he is still capable of assuming his 72 different forms. Considering myth and fairy tales are heavily connected to Touhou Project lore I would conclude that even if you drink Hourai Elixir you can still use transformations and shapeshifting.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
Nazrin's depicted with a little mouse in the basket she carries on her tail. My question is this: How in the hell does that mouse not fall out from the basket when Nazrin's in a danmaku battle?  ???

« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
Nazrin's depicted with a little mouse in the basket she carries on her tail. My question is this: How in the hell does that mouse not fall out from the basket when Nazrin's in a danmaku battle?  ???
duct tape and jb weld

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
Is there a limit to how many user replays you can have that will show up in-game?