Author Topic: Your Worst Screwups in Video Gaming  (Read 27869 times)

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
Re: Your Worst Screwups in Video Gaming
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
Recent talk about Impact from Ganbare Goemon has caused a horrible memory to resurface.

In Goemon's Great Adventure (one of the only 2 Goemon games ported to the US), the battles featuring Impact also feature another character -- Miss Impact, a robot made to resemble Omitsu (Goemon's main love interest; not that she'll admit to any resemblance to the giant machine, of course) that Impact is quite smitten with.

That said, with the introduction of Miss Impact also comes 2 things: first, the Baton Pass, where you fire a baton (that looks suspiciously like an egg roll to me, now that I think about it) at your partner to switch control (your partner is otherwise in the background either A) flailing ineffectually at the boss or B) being controlled by a buddy who is flailing ineffectually at the boss). And second . . .

. . . Sudden Death Attacks. Each boss has an attack that looks markedly different from the others -- for example, the second boss (Taisamba 4, the Enchanting Mermaid) will become veiled in a vertical whirlpool that looks markedly different from the vortex spawned by its 'unavoidable attack' (where it angles the thing at you and shoots eels at you, but that's neither here nor there). Needless to say, get hit by a Sudden Death Attack and you die no matter what . . .

. . . but passing the baton to your buddy interrupts it.

That is the whole premise behind this complete bullsh!t screw-up.

The Castle 4 Impact Boss, whose name I shall spoiler because you are going to WTF if you ever fight him (
Spoiler:
it's Kabuki Final, ANOTHER iteration of Kabuki
) . . . his Sudden Death Attack is an advancing wall of its namesake -- Colorful Shadows -- which will pulverise you if it ever finishes inching towards you. Your partner will automatically move to the extreme left or right of the screen when a Sudden Death Attack is launched, so this normally wouldn't be a problem . . .

. . . but when the attack was launched, the shadows clipped my wingman and so I had to just sit there raving about what complete and utter nonsense this was as mi amiga was getting her sleeves handed to her and I eventually followed suit . . .

So yeah, short form: Guy launches 1HKO, it knocks out the guy I'm supposed to swap with, and I'm left helpless as the tutti-frutti mecha stalks his technicolor way to me and then beats the tar (and Oil) out of me.

I was so pissed I beat him next life in ONE.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
Uwabami Breakers

Final Boss

Final Attack

dies with 1/4 health left

Keyboard flies out nearest window

FFFFFFUUUUUU
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:08:35 PM by Doomsday93 »

LoveSign

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
My screwup doesn't involve playing a game but rather the fail involved in the purchase of one: I accidentally bought Star Ocean: Till the End of Time because I'd played my first Tales game ever at a friend's house (Symphonia) and having enjoyed it was hoping for a similar action RPG that was also multiplayer for the PS2, since I didn't have a GC. Real time battles? Check. What does the back of the box say? 1-2 players, check. Minutes into the game - "WTF IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!"

THE MULTIPLAYER ENDED UP *ONLY* BEING SOME CRAPPY ASS UNLOCKABLE VS. MODE THAT GETS OLD AFTER 5 MINUTES AND *NOTHING ELSE*. NO CO-OP PLAY IN THE ACTUAL GAME AT ALL! #$%^ YOU TRI-ACE!

Good riddance you failtards at Tri-Ace, I'm glad your whiny asses left Namco after Tales of Phantasia so that the series could actually become what it is today, unlike your crappy Star Ocean bullshit where there's still no guard cancelling out of casting, skill activation regardless of range or even multiplayer on your fourth damn game! /rant /rage

Moral of the story - I should have Googled the stupid game and made sure there was multiplayer or not instead of trusting the stupid box. I was never so ridiculously pissed off about a purchase before. I did end up beating the game, but the voice acting was grating, the plot was insipid, and the combat wasn't anything like 'Tales of Symphonia'.

Thankfully Tales of the Abyss came out later and I had a Tales game for the PS2. I fell in love with 'Tales of' games ever since.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
If you bought Star Ocean: TtEoT for the non-existent multiplayer you are a piece of idiotic fail.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

LoveSign

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
If you bought Star Ocean: TtEoT for the non-existent multiplayer you are a piece of idiotic fail.

Um, yeah. That's why I posted in this thread Captain Obvious.  :V Though to be fair I assumed that if it had "1-2 players" on the box that would include the main game and not something that's a boring unlockable that gets old within a couple of minutes.

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »
Dunno if this counts, but I currently can't find my old PS2 memory card, with all my completed or nearly-completed games on it. It happened shortly after I moved. Current theories include me accidentally tossing it out in a box filled with that packing paper stuff moving companies shove into every nook and cranny and me accidentally storing it in a storage building, where it has been for a month of days with heat indexes in the 100s.

Of course considering that I've played through and restarted and played through most of those games at least twice, one more time isn't going to be an issue. Hell, for AC0, it's been at least seven to get all the aces and medals.

It's just...y'know...all that bloody effort.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:26:42 AM by Apotheosis »
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed

DarkHedge

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
Oh, screwups, how many of these did I do in my gaming career that's already over 10 years long (and still counting). It dates back up to when I was a Sonicfag (rest in peace people, I AM NOT ONE ANYMORE, THIS FANBASE IS TERRIBLE. But anyway)

Being the amateur of driving and racing games I am (if you don't know it already), most of my best (worst?) fails were made of these...

GTA San Andreas: How many HOURS did I spent on this game, I don't know, but the longer you play a game, the higher the amount of screwups you may do. It's maybe also part of the PS2's bad habit of not loading fast the textures, but on several occasions, when I was flying a plane and trying to fly low (ESPECIALLY IN THAT MISSION N.O.E WHERE YOU ARE REQUIRED TO FUCKING FLY LOW)... I end up in a tree that was invisible on impact, then gets visible ONCE I'M SENT IN HELL. How FAIL is that. Srsly.

NASCAR Racing 2003: The main and biggest problem with this game is that keyboard players are rewarded with shit. Oh I don't say NR2003 is that bad of a game, but it's when you get a hold of the controls you realize analog control of any kind is REQUIRED to play well. Keyboard controls when running on ovals consist of tapping with precision the direction keys (mostly left), and if you EVER press that button one split-second too long, you can say hello to your followers for a good T-Bone. Or at best, you just spin out and get PISSED.

...especially when I was first, for once, goddamnit.

NFS Most Wanted: SPIKE STRIPS. My worst enemies. During pursuits, if you ever lower your guard, you can say hello to those fuckers.
...it happened to me that I didn't EVEN notice there was a spike strip coming full speed ahead of me... UNTIL I hear the Sound of Doom: FOUR FLAT TIRES in less than five seconds. Hellloooooooo Sergeant Cross, you dumbfuck asshole.

GTA San Andreas, PS2: Instead of choosing "Load file", my finger slipped and I chose "Delete file". And it got too fast before I realize I just chose "Delete"... AND SHUT OFF THE CONSOLE. That was my loudest vocal "FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" (or its version in French. But I happen to swear in English sometimes.)

There have been lots of other screwups but I think I've listed the most pissing off ones for me... Excluding the touhou-related ones. :V Ohohoho.

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »
Monster Hunter FreedomUnite: Fighting Rathios.

Now, let me tell you these monsters are hard. I still haven't completed this mission despite being the last guild Hall 2 Star Mission left I have yet to complete.

So, s/he's been kicking my ass for a while now, when finally I make some headway after my second defeat (You only get three KOs before you're sent back with a failed rating). Suddenly, the monster starts limping away to sleep in it's nest. This is a good thing, because it ALWAYS means you can set down a trap and tranquilize the Monster, resulting in not only success, but better rewards as well.

So, being the first time I've gotten an 'ios to head back to it's nest, I immedietly run towards the place where every Wyvern I've fought before in that area goes to to sleep, and set down a Trap right at the point where the Wyvern would land entering that area.

So I wait for a good minute or two wondering why it's not coming, so I take a look around, and apparently it fell asleep in the larger Area next to where I had assumed it was going to sleep.

Now, another thing about this is that once you set down a trap, you can't pick it up. Also, if you set one down, you can't go to another area and set another one down. You also can't dismantle traps, you have to wait for it to time out.

Of course, I didn't have time to wait for it to time out, since one of the vicious yet weak monsters hanging around decided to wake up the 'ios. It charges at me a few times, and I fight it to reduce down whatever health it gained while sleeping for however long I let it, and possibly to kill it if I can't set up another trap soon. I lost a lot of health and some potions, and while scrolling through my quick-inv and saw I could put down another shock trap. So I quickly try to dive out of the way and set down the Trap. As soon as the trap was complete, the 'ios knocked me away and fell right into the Trap...

...just as I was fainting from losing the last of my HP. Third KO. Go directly to Jail, do not pass go, do not collect eight or ten pieces of Dragon carcass.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »
Well the other day I overwrote my 100+ hour save file in FFXII where I had done pretty much everything but beat Omega Mark XII and Yiazmat with a 15min file by accident... :V
Thank god I had saved that game on another slot at around 90 hours in, but still haven't bothered playing that game since for obvious reasons.

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
Buying a cyclo DS evolution for the NDS and tried to get into NDS games... worst mistake I ever made when it came to video games.
As for playing Touhou, my worst screwup(s) would be score running. Holy crap, the game is so much more fun when you don't play for score.

dustyjo

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »
NFS Most Wanted: SPIKE STRIPS. My worst enemies. During pursuits, if you ever lower your guard, you can say hello to those fuckers.
...it happened to me that I didn't EVEN notice there was a spike strip coming full speed ahead of me... UNTIL I hear the Sound of Doom: FOUR FLAT TIRES in less than five seconds. Hellloooooooo Sergeant Cross, you dumbfuck asshole.

You don't really have to avoid the spikes in NFS Carbon, they just slow the car down a bit and mess with the handling instead of your car grinding to a halt like in the rest of the games.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2009, 06:13:57 AM »
Hit the wrong button in cyberspace while playing Dystopia, nearly costing my team the objective. A little later, I accidentally nailed two of my teammates at once with the tesla rifle. Nice job breaking it hero.

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
Monster Hunter FreedomUnite: Fighting Rathios.

Now, let me tell you these monsters are hard. I still haven't completed this mission despite being the last guild Hall 2 Star Mission left I have yet to complete.

So, s/he's been kicking my ass for a while now, when finally I make some headway after my second defeat (You only get three KOs before you're sent back with a failed rating). Suddenly, the monster starts limping away to sleep in it's nest. This is a good thing, because it ALWAYS means you can set down a trap and tranquilize the Monster, resulting in not only success, but better rewards as well.

So, being the first time I've gotten an 'ios to head back to it's nest, I immedietly run towards the place where every Wyvern I've fought before in that area goes to to sleep, and set down a Trap right at the point where the Wyvern would land entering that area.

So I wait for a good minute or two wondering why it's not coming, so I take a look around, and apparently it fell asleep in the larger Area next to where I had assumed it was going to sleep.

Now, another thing about this is that once you set down a trap, you can't pick it up. Also, if you set one down, you can't go to another area and set another one down. You also can't dismantle traps, you have to wait for it to time out.

Of course, I didn't have time to wait for it to time out, since one of the vicious yet weak monsters hanging around decided to wake up the 'ios. It charges at me a few times, and I fight it to reduce down whatever health it gained while sleeping for however long I let it, and possibly to kill it if I can't set up another trap soon. I lost a lot of health and some potions, and while scrolling through my quick-inv and saw I could put down another shock trap. So I quickly try to dive out of the way and set down the Trap. As soon as the trap was complete, the 'ios knocked me away and fell right into the Trap...

...just as I was fainting from losing the last of my HP. Third KO. Go directly to Jail, do not pass go, do not collect eight or ten pieces of Dragon carcass.
Wow, how could I forget Monster Hunter screw up! Yeah, Rathian and Rathalos(which one are you mentioning here?) can really screw you up since the Capcom made them into such assholes.

Yeah, I remeber once: similar scenario. Hunting Rathian, 3 star mission, she limps(and I'm at my last "life") and flies to the sleeping area. I enter the area, and slowly walk towards her. A 3 small monsters gang up on her(apparently they like to do that) and she wakes up. She wakes up and completely ignores those who woke her up then rushes towards me. I can't remember exactly what happened but I'm pretty sure I got hit by one of her fireballs and died... I even cut the tail

For those who don't play the game: you can cut the tail of some big monsters for an extra carve. Carve is what you do to a monster once it's dead so that you can collect some of it's parts.

Sean

• The Disturbed Leader of Four Against Nature
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »
Ah, Overconfidence, you are the bane of my existence.

Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires. We're defending. One of the officers inspires his troops. (Basically the officer's attack spikes. Anyone familiar with Dynasty Warriors: Think Lu Bu in the Hu Lao Gate level.). I'm pretty close to max level so I go to take them on. I manage to do some pretty good damage, but instead of using my skills like a smart person, I just decide to finish it with regular attacks.

He starts a combo. Four hits. Dead. Mission failed, Territory lost. Note to Self: Never let any enemy officer attack. EVER.

To add insult to injury, it was a custom character I made, of one of my friends. The one I constantly complain on how he beats me in everything.
This Signature only existed in my mind.

Apotheosis

• Pop-tarts please!!!
  • MOM WHERE'S MY POP-TARTS?????
ITT I am an idiot
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2009, 06:14:58 AM »
Dunno if this counts, but I currently can't find my old PS2 memory card, with all my completed or nearly-completed games on it. It happened shortly after I moved. Current theories include me accidentally tossing it out in a box filled with that packing paper stuff moving companies shove into every nook and cranny and me accidentally storing it in a storage building, where it has been for a month of days with heat indexes in the 100s.

Of course considering that I've played through and restarted and played through most of those games at least twice, one more time isn't going to be an issue. Hell, for AC0, it's been at least seven to get all the aces and medals.

It's just...y'know...all that bloody effort.

Right you know this? Well forget it because I just found my memory card.

Do you want to know where it was?

It's been in my PS2 all this time.

I've only been playing games that I've newly bought, so I never noticed.

I'm an idiot.
The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr - Mohammed

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »
I guess it would be erasing my highest level character on Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. Thankfully I had most of his things transferred to my weaker characters at the time I did that. But still that was very annoying.

Easy Mode

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
I finally got around to buying Wrath of the Lich King. I turned in a shitload of my games for that money, which I could have very easily saved up for something.
Anyways, long story short, I had to sit through 8 gigs of patches to download, and lord knows how long my dad will take to actually reactivate my fucking account or whatever. :/

OneSS

• Koishi's long lost relative
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
Halo 2 Vista, Random multiplayer server running Coagulation.
I attempted to hijack a Wraith, but got shot by TWO snipers at once while meleeing.
What happens when you spot Koishi:
1. Koishi runs towards you.
2. Koishi glomps you.
3. MIND RAEP TIME =D

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 04:16:46 AM »
-Buying a DSlite and a cyclods- a waste of 190 bucks.

Sigh.... that was before I met Touhou... I was stupid back then to believe I wanted to play RPGs.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »
I first played Thunder Force IV when I was about 8-9 years old. Played it a little more as I grew up, and I always figured the game was a bit on the easy side. It wasn't until recently that I realised there was an options screen you could access by holding down A/B/C on the title screen and pressing Start. And hey, turns out you can adjust the difficulty to Easy, Normal, Hard or Lunatic Maniac.

So I figured I'd give Maniac a try. Probably just more bullets, slightly more durable bosses, that sort of thi--

Wait the level just started why am I being attacked by the midboss--

Jesus fuck why are missiles spawning behind me--

And so on. The game pretty much turned me inside out.

Bananamatic

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »
Persona 3. Hard mode. After a good amount of grinding, 1 floor before the boss, seen a purple enemy....

"Hey, I'll complete that quest before the boss, cool"
*1 turn later*
"Cool, Yukari finishes that dude and I get a shitload of exp- *miss*
"Okay....next turn"
"What? Mudo? Well, it shouldn't hit the- WAIT, ARE YOU TARGETING THE MC?"
*hopes it doesn't hit or that I still have a homunculus*
*hits, no homunculi in my inventory*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Took me 1 month to grab that game again.

Suwako Moriiya

• I am a terrible poster
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »
one of my worst one was when i was playing a japanese final fantasy game.

i had a boss fight, and was low on health, i looked for a potion, on japan of course.

when i used it on one of mine it ended up i casted a frog spell item instead, so it died and i lost.

Napalnman1231

• Is that so~?
  • Nice Farming weather!
    • My gallery art
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2009, 02:06:44 AM »

that's why I just prefer my old Star Ocean for Snes

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:31 AM »
Buying the original .hack games after having played G.U. They didn't stay bought for long <.<

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »

...I died later on 8D

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Chirumiru

• I ⑨ Cirno
    • Video Blogs in Osaka :)
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
Dying for the first time all game on the final form of Dr. Wily in Mega Man 9 on Superhero mode cuz my roommate shouted something and scared the crap out of me XD

Bananamatic

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
The SO3: TtEoT fanboy inside me is raging. Hard.
And VS mode is fun. Wish I had somebody who plays RPGs who would play it with me :V

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »
Fire Emblem loves to give me these as bad as any touhou game.

It is not unusual in the least for me to be doing a mission (getting some nice stat-ups for my units, I might add), only to end up screwing up (such as using a unit to block attacks that can one-round an enemy, clearing the way for more to come in and wear him down to nothing, then moving on to my healers...). RNG-screwage is one thing, but stuff like chapter 11(?) in Shadow Dragon with all those high-defense ballista units tend to throw me for a loop.

Nothing like losing your favorite characters a few times to make it clear just how crappy a tactician you are...

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
Fire Emblem loves to give me these as bad as any touhou game.

It is not unusual in the least for me to be doing a mission (getting some nice stat-ups for my units, I might add), only to end up screwing up (such as using a unit to block attacks that can one-round an enemy, clearing the way for more to come in and wear him down to nothing, then moving on to my healers...). RNG-screwage is one thing, but stuff like chapter 11(?) in Shadow Dragon with all those high-defense ballista units tend to throw me for a loop.

Nothing like losing your favorite characters a few times to make it clear just how crappy a tactician you are...

Actually, this applies to me too. And probably to most people who play Fire Emblem.

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »
Actually, this applies to me too. And probably to most people who play Fire Emblem.
Like I said, this isn't RNG-screwage, which gets everybody (though god-tier players like SpyroDi and Eaichu can apparently RNG-abuse themselves immunity). I'm talking about not paying enough attention to notice important details, such as not noticing your meat shield being strong enough to take out the randoms they're supposed to be walling. And, like I said in my specific example, ballistae (particularly the strong and durable ones in Shadow Dragon) really throw me for a loop.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"