Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 151094 times)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
I assume this is the trick you're referring to with the third?  If so, that's pretty much the easiest way to do it, so stick to it.
Yep, that's what I do. For some reason, the suns under Reimu always seem to kill her when it appears I haven't touched it yet. Though I noticed on that spell you seem to be moving into the upper one. I should try that and see what happens.

EDIT: I tried it and it worked for some reason, until I died by a yellow bullet and had no extra lives in the process. :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:26:44 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Yep, that's what I do. For some reason, the suns under Reimu always seem to kill her when it appears I haven't touched it yet. Though I noticed on that spell you seem to be moving into the upper one. I should try that and see what happens.
I recommend you don't go that far up though, I was pushing it a little there I think.  I recommend you only look at the inner suns when you line yourself up though, since most people read bullets above them better than behind them... Or at least I do.  It's also worth noting that the 4 suns aren't all rotating over the same point, it's actually two circles (one circle for each two opposing suns).  Ie. just because one misses you, don't assume the next will.  Keep watching, reposition accordingly.

Udongein

Yeah, Flandre is pretty difficult. I barely beat her when I did: I had nothing left at the end.
I've beaten her before, though. Though, it HAS been a while since I've touched EoSD, so...yeah.
QED still needs to gowai, though.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
I recommend you don't go that far up though, I was pushing it a little there I think.  I recommend you only look at the inner suns when you line yourself up though, since most people read bullets above them better than behind them... Or at least I do.  It's also worth noting that the 4 suns aren't all rotating over the same point, it's actually two circles (one circle for each two opposing suns).  Ie. just because one misses you, don't assume the next will.  Keep watching, reposition accordingly.
Well I just capped it. Does that count?
And I finally reached the last spell. There was only like 3 or 4 seconds left and I ran DOWN into the white bullets. *facepalm*
TF2 Backpack

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
I've got trouble with Orin and her fairy attacks, the ones that follow you. I know you can redirect them to somewhere else and then shoot the boss but when I redirect them, Orin's bullets somehow kill me.

And what's really hard is Utsuho altogether. I seriously don't know how to fare with her. It's pretty much just her spells. The first one last way too long, the second one seems like luck that it doesn't wall you, the third is hard when I die from the suns for no reason (I know the trick to stay in one spot) and the fourth I've only reached twice and it seems much harder than it is. It starts throwing out the bullets immediately unlike lunatic where they sit there for a while so you can get more damage on the boss. I can't say anything about her last though, as I've never reached it on normal.
If you're playing ReimuA, you can tackle Orin's first card by luring the fairies up top, then going back under Orin and staying there. You need at least 3 Power to do this, otherwise the fairies won't die fast enough. I actually still have questions about what the best way to handle Orin's last card is, so I can't really say anything about it.

Utsuho's first two cards are indeed her hardest. For the first, you should only need two positions to redirect the suns (I recommend redirecting the first one to the side). If you see a good path through the blue bullets, don't hesitate to take it. The key to her second card is finding the biggest spaces. If a group of suns is falling above you, don't just sit at the bottom and wait for it to open - move out of its way altogether. Don't take the chance, as it's actually a very fair attack. When you're in the safebox for the third card, use only horizontal movements. Utsuho's fourth card is easier than you make it out to be. Stay to to either side of the screen, and you'll have a lot more time to read the bullets and a lot more room to move out of their way. As for her final, the "let gravity pull you through the gaps" idea was already mentioned, but being able to control yourself as you counteract the gravity is important. I suggest that when you move left and right, you almost always make it a diagonal motion.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Just to ask, does anyone else have the glitch in the game where the bosses forget to give you a life piece when they normally should? It's really annoying for me. It mostly happens with Parsee's spell where she duplicates herself. :/
TF2 Backpack

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
I've never heard of that before. Do you have a replay or video?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Well it happened again. I'm still continuing stage 6 :V and she did it twice in one run. It seems to happen randomly except for that attack I mentioned earlier. I'll put up a replay in a bit so you can see.

I think I'm just gonna cheese my way through stage 6 by having fraps lock down the fps to 30 or something, because I think it can do that. That, or I'll take chirpy's score.dat file and just stick with that for a while until I get the hang of things. I'm doing better now, but it's just up to if I can bomb fast enough.
TF2 Backpack

You're sure you aren't timing it out or something right?  If so, I can't say I've never had that happen.

Anyway, here's how I captured that last card.  Orin has no hitbox in this card.  I believe this is the only instance of this happening in the series aside from Gengetsu... Maybe not.  In any case, the important part is that Orin will not spawn bullets on top of you, so get nice and cozy there at the start.  Honestly I still don't like this card, solely because there's a lot of unfocused movement, but it seems pretty easy in theory.

Schezo

• en-counse
Parsee also has no hitbox on Green eyed Monster, which I figured out the hard way.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
All right. I did cheese my way through it to unlock the practice. (I wasn't about to chance that it wouldn't open while I was there. Plus, 30fps is way more fun)
It's funny, because even at 30fps, I still ended up with no lives left in the end. I also purposefully bombed through most of the cards so I wouldn't have on record that I capped them using what may be called a tool-assisted run. I'd rather they be failed.
Also, SA now says that I've cleared ReimuA normal. :V

As for a replay of the bosses failing: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11885
It only happens in here with Orin (not midboss) and with Utsuho. You can see the gap in the items where it should be but it isn't there. The most notable one is n the spell I lose the run at, (the one with the circling suns) I don't get a piece when she ends the nonspell which I know for a fact now I should get.
Surprisingly, Parsee didn't glitch up, nor did any of the first four bosses that I could find.

EDIT: Also, to say what chirpy asked, no, I'm not timing them out. They finish like they normally do and just plain forget the life piece.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:23:06 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
Um, you didn't get the life-pieces because you died, dude. For any attack that has a life-piece, you have to go through it without dying or timing it out (bombing is okay) for one to appear.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Um, you didn't get the life-pieces because you died, dude. For any attack that has a life-piece, you have to go through it without dying or timing it out (bombing is okay) for one to appear.
Oh, that makes sense. I never knew that about this game. Alright, thanks! :V
TF2 Backpack

Byakuren also doesn't have a collsion hitbox anytime from final nonspell to the end.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
This. It's the last word Total Purification. I should have capped it but whatever.
At the time of this post, I'm at 162 attempts on this spell and still haven't got it. Why does it have to be fast? Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

EDIT: Now at 183 attempts, I got it. Yay! Though this isn't really the thread for victories, but whatever. It matches the above so there.
This is by far the hardest Last Word I've ever fought. (By fought, I mean the first nine, which includes this one) I'm going in order. ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:16:48 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
Took me FOREVER to realize what you needed to do to get a life point in SA. I always thought it was random or something  :ohdear:

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Byakuren also doesn't have a collsion hitbox anytime from final nonspell to the end.

No way, that's just ridicul-

* Donut checks

:o

Well, I suppose a savior doesn't mind being hugged. :3 But how did you figure that out? I dont' imagine you just randomly collided with every boss to see if they had a hitbox or not...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Yeah, Donut if you played a little more SanaeB that would be common knowledge for you.  :V

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
*Insert obligatory Chiyuri rage here*

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
I absolutely despise being rusty at Touhou.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
PCB hard: ragequit on Chen
IN hard: a wave moves on top of me in Invisible Full Moon with 10% life left D:<

Jaimers

Yumemi makes me so sad.

Stage 9 took 11 minutes and I still didn't beat her.  :qq:

ebarrett

wait what 11 minutes for a single round?

Jaimers

Stage 9 combined.

Tried playing as Chiyuri.

Holy crap it's like lunatic on crack.  :V
Amazing fun though, although the bomb delay after using a level 1 is really annoying.

ebarrett

Baity's failed attempts back then turned the Kana 1cc into something of a PoDD holy grail but it was misleading, Chiyuri is many times harder - moves too fast, your own boss attack kills you by causing too many reflected bullets, L1 is nearly useless for defending yourself and is glitchy, Kotohime in stage 7....... I'd also put a Marisa 1cc as harder than a Kana 1cc, seeing as it's much harder to reach Yumemi in the first place.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFudge

failed a 75fps run of PCB Extra on the penultimate card's last wave

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:27:39 AM by Skip Matthews »

Jaimers

I'd also put a Marisa 1cc as harder than a Kana 1cc, seeing as it's much harder to reach Yumemi in the first place.

Really? I don't remember having as much difficulty with my old Marisa 1cc as I'm having right now with Kana.
Kana has the issue of 5 minute matches and she also can't defend herself all that well against bosses. You have to get in the boss's face and back to fully use a level 1 and that's something Kana's speed doesn't really allow.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
My latest attempt at this week's PCB survival challenge. I get to Alice's midboss Spellcard on Lunatic, and a laser that's not even fully formed somehow kills me before I can react to anything. I urge you to watch how it happened and laugh, or rage along with me. In short, fuckingrandomnessaghaghagh. Thank God I still have a week to get better runs.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
(5:37:29 PM) ShiningDrake: >1.4 spare, 4 power reaching Orin
(5:37:36 PM) ShiningDrake: ...How the hell does Stage 5 do this to me
(5:37:58 PM) ShiningDrake: The game randomly deems that I must have NEGATIVE deathbomb time
(5:40:52 PM) ShiningDrake: ...This is not funny. At all. The game is freaking cheating on me
(5:41:06 PM) ShiningDrake: I position myself, ready to dodge at any moment through the first part of Orin's opener
(5:41:16 PM) ShiningDrake: As soon as it starts moving, I move
(5:41:33 PM) ShiningDrake: A BULLET HAS SUDDENLY GOTTEN IN THE WAY WHEN IT WAS WAY TOO FAR AWAY TO DO THAT BEFORE
(5:43:14 PM) ShiningDrake: And then I die on Orin's second card
(5:43:22 PM) ShiningDrake: Because I have to bomb twice on the first, once on second nonspell
(5:43:36 PM) ShiningDrake: And then of course once on second card itself
(5:43:46 PM) ShiningDrake: This is not funny
(5:43:59 PM) ShiningDrake: I started stage 5 with like five or six spare lives
(5:44:16 PM) ShiningDrake: Suddenly it starts deciding that I have negative deathbomb time and generally need to die
(5:44:28 PM) ShiningDrake: I reach Orin with 1.4 spare
(5:44:45 PM) ShiningDrake: I die to something that literally COULD NOT HAVE POSSIBLY KILLED ME LIKE THAT
(5:45:17 PM) ShiningDrake: Then of course I don't have enough bombs to reach the next life, which I'm ONE FRAGMENT AWAY FROM WHEN I DIE
(5:45:24 PM) ShiningDrake: What the hell SA
(5:45:26 PM) ShiningDrake: Just, what the hell

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Almost every death in an MoF Hard run occured when I had 3.00+ power remaining.  I still made it to Divine Virtue of Rage God.  And somehow I STILL haven't 1cc'd MoF Hard.

ARGH.