Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 151086 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Why does Suwa War always have to ruin my MoF Extra perfect runs? I'm always so close to a capture when I die...
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

I've been playing these games for over six months or so. I've only recently been able to 1cc anything on a semi-consistent basis. On Normal. The only Extra I can beat between EoSD PCB and IN (haven't really played the other games at all) is IN. PCB's in particular is pretty overwhelming for me. I've never even made it to the boss and the midboss embarrasses me horribly (and to think, some people can do it in one try.)

People saying they suck when they're so much better than me makes me look like a chump.  :(

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
I've been playing these games for over six months or so. I've only recently been able to 1cc anything on a semi-consistent basis. On Normal. The only Extra I can beat between EoSD PCB and IN (haven't really played the other games at all) is IN. PCB's in particular is pretty overwhelming for me. I've never even made it to the boss and the midboss embarrasses me horribly (and to think, some people can do it in one try.)

People saying they suck when they're so much better than me makes me look like a chump.  :(

Hey. Hey. Hey.
I am quite legitimately terrible at Touhou.
You beat the IN Extra, and I can only get to Fujiyama Volcano.
Also, UFO and SA are arse. If you're a Normal player, than Easy is around the difficulty of Normal in IN.

As for the PCB extra, it's pretty much ALL ABOUT STREAMING.
Wave 1: Aimed. Micrododge to graze for score.
Wave 2: Not aimed. Don't screw yourself over.
Wave 3 and 4: Aimed. Micrododge to graze for score.
Try to take out these fairies early, before they shoot off everywhere.
Move to the left. Shoot down the fairy with spinning bullets.
Move to the right. Shoot down the fairy with spinning bullets.
Repeat three times.
Fairies will appear with aimed bullets, although one isn't aimed, while rows appear at the top.
Shoot them down early, they drop ~30 Points. When they stop shooting, they move off the screen via the side opposite to which they appear.
Wheel around their bullets.

Chen's Nonspell- Don't move until the bullets stop firing.
Nudge to the left. Repeat.
As for her second pattern, try to find an area that allows you to dodge both waves at the same time.
Nudge upward to avoid the blue bullets after they stop firing.
First Card- start at the top or bottom, stream downwards, dodging randomspam. Stream upwards the next wave. Repeat.
Second Card- Hard to explain- I have a very specific method of capture for this- and I don't recommend it

Post Chen is really a repitition of the past stage bits.
At the end, there's a large cloud of randomspam fairies and death circles. The death circles are aimed, and fixed, so they should be easy to avoid the first time you go through them.

Good luck~

Hey. Hey. Hey.
I am quite legitimately terrible at Touhou.
Also, UFO and SA are arse. If you're a Normal player, than Easy is around the difficulty of Normal in IN.

As for the PCB extra, it's pretty much ALL ABOUT STREAMING.
Wave 1: Aimed. Micrododge to graze for score.
Wave 2: Not aimed. Don't screw yourself over.
Wave 3 and 4: Aimed. Micrododge to graze for score.
Try to take out these fairies early, before they shoot off everywhere.
Move to the left. Shoot down the fairy with spinning bullets.
Move to the right. Shoot down the fairy with spinning bullets.
Repeat three times.
Fairies will appear with aimed bullets, although one isn't aimed, while rows appear at the top.
Shoot them down early, they drop ~30 Points. When they stop shooting, they move off the screen via the side opposite to which they appear.
Wheel around their bullets.

Chen's Nonspell- Don't move until the bullets stop firing.
Nudge to the left. Repeat.
As for her second pattern, try to find an area that allows you to dodge both waves at the same time.
Nudge upward to avoid the blue bullets after they stop firing.
First Card- start at the top or bottom, stream downwards, dodging randomspam. Stream upwards the next wave. Repeat.
Second Card- Hard to explain- I have a very specific method of capture for this- and I don't recommend it

Post Chen is really a repitition of the past stage bits.
At the end, there's a large cloud of randomspam fairies and death circles. The death circles are aimed, and fixed, so they should be easy to avoid the first time you go through them.

Good luck~

Thanks for the tips. Actually, your post about how you have put 20 hours into PCB and still have trouble with Phantasm is part of why I made that post.  I've put 45 hours into that game myself, so thats why I got pretty discouraged. My play time in IN is 93 hours as well. THAT is why I consider myself terrible at Touhou. :)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Ah, it's cool. PCB is actually the first TH I've played, but I've been gaming since I was three.
Speaking of

MY PECEEBEE HARD ONESEESEE
IT IS BOTCHED

NOOOOOOOO

1)Reach 50mil score on easy with shiki against reimu
2)Kill reimu without dieing once
3)50mil + score and 5 lives left= BEST EASY SCORE EVER!!!!!!

4)

5)
 :o

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
Resurrection Butterfly, WHY?

It's like every time I do a practice run, I capture it without fail; every time I do a real run, I fail it without capture.

(Note that this does not extend to the Lunatic version, which I fail without capture both on practice and real runs)

Oh, and about that:

Past "Ancient History"  32/151
Reincarnation "Returning-Bridge Ichijo"      29/150
Future "The Next History of Phantasm"   80/148
Limiting Edict "Ihakasa's Moon Curse"  3/122
Immortal "Fire Bird -Flying Phoenix-"  28/119
Fujiwara "Flaw of Forgiving Shrine"  28/107
Deathless "Xu Fu's Dimension"  75/98
Forgiveness "honest Man's Death"    37/90
Hollow Giant "Woo"  3/76
Everlasting "Phoenix's Tail"  7/67
Hourai "Fujiyama Volcano"  0/54 (5/409 in spell practice)
"Possessed by Phoenix"  4/36
"Hourai Doll"     0/20
"Imperishable Shooting"  0/1

I have beaten the stage 8 or 9 times. The most I've gotten in a single run is 9 cards (everything before Phoenix's Tail, actually) and that was kind of luck. If I can do it, you can do it (assuming you haven't already.)

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Blah blah "I'm terrible" blah. You know what's really terrible?

Ragequitting multiple PCB runs.

On Normal!

Final one after dieing 3 times on Youmu's 1st 3 attacks.

:fail:

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

The first three stages and part of stage four were good, but...

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11054

I mean, what the hell happened?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Possessed by Phoenix game over after entering with 1/3

HEAD DESK

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Entered SA Stage 5 with 6 lives. Game over on Orin's 2nd card.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
How many times do I have to mash the bomb key before it actually works?! How many?! I could've made it to Yukari's second-to-last spell card with 2 lives left if the amount of time allotted for deathbombing in PCB was more than negative 0.5 seconds. Instead, I died at her Ran card again. Again. AGAIN.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
CHEEEEEEEEN!

Okay, so I hit a butterfly instead of Chen, but that makes it even more rage-worthy. I was so fucking close to a perfect run!

At least I can keep a confidence boost from capturing Kokkuri-san's Contract and Izuna Gongen in the same run. I will get this.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Just tried PoFV lunatic out of the blue.

Okay, now that I literally have a headache from that, let's remember why we made a pact to never play this game again.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos

nintendonut888

Installed vsynch to PoFV, ran lunatic. Got to Reimu with two lives to burn.

Sigh. I swear I will fell you PoFV.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Installed vsynch to PoFV, ran lunatic. Got to Reimu with two lives to burn.

Sigh. I swear I will fell you PoFV.
Wait, what?  PoFV has built-in v-sync though.

ebarrett

PoFV has built-in v-sync though.

Which is sort of not very good. Input lag is nowhere near as bad as unpatched PCB but still quite noticeable.

Then again I did this without the patch so it's also obviously possible to ignore it to an extent.  :D

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
Requires advice for the capturing
How do

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11070

Make sure you're at the bottom (or top, I guess) of the screen when the blue wave starts and then tap down in time with the beat of the music once the bullets start coming out.  Even if you can't consistently capture it you should be able to do it with one bomb/deathbomb at the tail end of the blue part.  The rest is just flying around in a circle.

nintendonut888

Not as bad? It was utterly unplayable. Now it's just unfun.

Also, lolfinalreimuisimpossible.

EDIT: Through somehow scoring well, I reached the 70 million extend and am entering Reimu with three lives remaining. Why do I sense a despair moment coming really fast?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:48:28 AM by nintendonut888 »

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
Double Spoiler, Hatate, 9-1.  On the last couple of pictures it seemed like every time I went to move in for a shot that Satori would move away and I'd just miss the photo.  Probably 8 or 9 times I had the clock run down to less then 20 seconds and then I'd get hit by some stray shot (with one photo remaining of course).  Raaaage!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
So my friend has 12.8 and I don't so I wanted to try it

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN C IS SHOOT
WHY IS STAGE ONE THIS HARD
WHY IS SUNNY MILK BULLSHIT
WHY DON'T YOU HAVE BOMBS (to start?)
AAAAAARRRGGHHH

on the bright side he brought back insta-continues

Re: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Tou
« Reply #293 on: November 24, 2010, 03:06:36 AM »

*headdesk
*headdesk
*headdesk

nm, you win.

AUGH.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:27:32 AM by K.B. »
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

rabble rabble rabble

Calm the fuck down, jesus christ.

You can still use Z to shoot, you just have to tap it, like you would in PoFV. You need to freeze your way through the game; you'll get bombs and extra lives from there. Learn to chainfreeze as much as possible and you'll find yourself needing bombs less and less.

And yes, the game is hard, but it's only three stages long, so get used to it.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Calm the fuck down, jesus christ.

You can still use Z to shoot, you just have to tap it, like you would in PoFV. You need to freeze your way through the game; you'll get bombs and extra lives from there. Learn to chainfreeze as much as possible and you'll find yourself needing bombs less and less.

And yes, the game is hard, but it's only three stages long, so get used to it.

It's probably the only Touhou in which Stage 1 on Normal defeats me :I
I've had a bit more practice since then so continue-whoring gets me to at least the middle of Sunny's fight.

That's not to say that the controls don't suck, oh no.
I'm having trouble finding an appropriate joystick configuration for it.

As for this thread, I started picking up Hard modes.

EoSD: Stage 4 :I
PCB: Stage 5 (Asura Sword caught me off gaurd- it's like a new pattern?)
IN: Stage 5 (Reisen again :/ )
MoF: Sanae.
SA: ... .... Parsee.
UFO: Ichirin. Strangely enough, the first two stages are easier on Hard than on Normal for me?

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
Re: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Tou
« Reply #296 on: November 24, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »

nm, you win.

AUGH.

Something like that happened to me once too when I entered QED with 0 live and bomb.

The second time I got to QED with 0 live/bomb though...

PCB Extra. 146 attempts (including retries) and this is the best I can do.
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11099

See how well the intro goes up to and including Chen's opener? That happens about 20% of the time. The rest are restarts. Any deaths before Chen warrant a retry. Of the 20% of the tries that DO make it to Chen, most (but not all) do make it to Ran. Of all of the tries that make it to Ran, only about a quarter of them turn out as being even remotely improved over prior attempts. That's what it feels like anyway.

The stage portion after the midboss gives me more trouble than it should. Memorizing it hasn't gone so smoothly so far. Unilateral Contract seems pretty confusing as well. Advice is appreciated.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
I don't know about stages with MarisaA (having only beat extra with ReimuA, ReimuB and SakuyaA), but for Unilateral Contact the idea is you want to move against the flow. The rest is just "don't die".

MTSranger

• =.=
Stage portion
1. Try to perfect pre-Chen (it is possible to get all items without bombs, but you have to sneak a poc in those 4-sets of fairies) or at least use only 1 bomb (to get items near the end before Chen). You should memorize the spawn points of pretty much everything so you can kill things fast.

2. for post-Chen, just stay near the bottom dodging and use borders to collect items. Use a bomb in the yellow-bullet spam if you happen to not have a border. In extra, you don't need that many since you won't reach the 800 point extend unless you pretty much no death the whole thing.

3. Unilateral contact: it's skill based. You have to stay above the bottom and I find moving to the side helps a bit. If you have a border, you can time it to cancel out 2 waves at the same time.