Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 151087 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later

*Rant alert* Though not about UFO for once. :)

Sigh. Just realized that Koishi is fail.

Been trying to time out Rorshack in Danmaku for a while now. So for haven't suceeded. Always something involving stupid mistakes. But the true horror comes from the bloody stage and the rest of the boss in fact.

Stage is static and boring like most Touhou games like it best. Surprisingly UFO's extra stage did away with that. Midboss is of course not the slightest bit of a threat. Then come boss time. She would only be hard if you were blind or something. Non-spells as challenging as side-tapping and spellcards about... safespotting, streaming and moving in the same pattern repeatedly.

The first five spellcards are absolute pushovers. After that stretch of grinding you finally get the stuff you're here for: Rorschach in Danmaku". And then Embers of Love. Can anyone explain how that thing works? Everytime i try to pacify it i get walled or get bullets spawned on my hitbox. For some reason that never happens when i just capture it. Depths "Genetics of the Subconscious". The other quality spellcard she have.
"Philosophy of a Hated Person" - No comment. Just a run-of-the-mill survival card. Nothing interesting.
"Subterranean Rose" - Trivial.

I just cannot associate that boss with SA because in my world, SA means quality and diversity.

*Rant over*

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
For Embers, I try to stay halfway between Koishi and the bottom, that way the bullets will open up enough to go between them when they bounce back up (and I prefer to stay as directly under Koishi as possible when attempting this). However, I don't know how you normally handle the card, so I can't tell if this is how you already do it. Do you have a replay ready? Not sure if you'll get this message before TSO starts the site maintenance though.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
UFO extra 1DNB, dying on Green UFOs.

I admit, this kind of hurt. :( A perfect not only of Nue, but of the whole stage (which I don't think has EVER happened before) ruined because the RNG decided to throw a nearly undodgable clusterfuck at me. I know there's probably a way I could have avoided it, but given how little space you have it was not likely.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
FUCK

Learn them spells, dogg!  You're making Flying Phoenix about 999999 times harder than it needs to be, and Honest Man's Death is pretty simple to clear once you learn the trick.  If those two spells didn't eat up so many of your resources I bet you could make it much further.  The way you handle the early part of the stage is pretty sketchy, too; you gotta stop focusing and use Reimu's homing amulets more!  You'll have to dodge way less bullets that way.  I'm at my parent's house doing laundry right now, but when I get home I'll whip up a replay to show you how I do the stage portion, as well as Mokou's early spells.  Flying Phoenix is easier to just show, but here's how Honest Man's Death works:
All of the red bullets are aimed directly at you but there's a little delay before she adjusts her shots, so streaming them and crossing back over isn't too difficult once you learn the timing.  The laser doesn't actually get a hitbox until it hits the point where you were when it first spawned, so you want to move into it and it's harmless.  It behaves the same way every single time, so if you watch a replay you can basically just do what they do and capture it every time (or at least, like, one-bomb it.)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
So I passed that spell. Three times, even. Thanks, it helped a lot.
This is why I can't have nice things.

so I heard you wanted me to unfocus?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:43:09 AM by Aquandescence »

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
So here's that replay.  I do some retarded scoring things in here so I'll add a couple notes here:
1) I shot at the big guys in the beginning unfocused because it gives time orbs, but you should switch to focus to kill them faster so they fire less.  That'll give you more room to POC the power items they drop.
2) There are a few points where I don't kill some of the 'chain-throwing' familiar dudes so that I can kill them when they spawn the second 'spread' of familiars.  Obviously that's unnecessary for survival, so just kill them all ASAP.  You handled them really well in your replays, so don't change your strategy here.
3) I bomb a few times in the second half of the stage so I can collect point items.  You handled those portions of the stage just fine, so one bomb should be all you need (for the part with the purple bullets followed by the aimed blue bullets.)
3) Don't spin around Mokou for her first nonspell haha
4) I move more than necessary on Xu-Fu's Dimension because I want to graze a bit more, but don't actually do that.  The idea is about the same, though.  Sit at the bottom of the screen and you only have to worry about the cards that are on the very bottom line.  Just start on the far left side, then slowly tap over to avoid the diamond bullets she shoots and the cards at the bottom.  This card is an easy capture like that.
5) Shooting unfocused during Possessed by Phoenix is just to get time orbs.  Don't actually do that.  Otherwise, the general movement pattern I used should work fine.
6) If you know how to capture Imperishable Shooting please tell me :<<<<

Basically, for the stage portion, you should be killing dudes faster.  The big guys that summon familiars to circle themselves can be blown away before they shoot anything that would require precision dodging.  You handled Flying Phoenix better in your second replay, but if you copy the method I used you should be able to capture it pretty easily.  Same thing for Honest Man's Death. 

In terms of the later spells, Phoenix's Tail is just straightforward dodging.  It helps if you try to read ahead into the mess a bit.  For 'Woo', it's not too bad if you can misdirect the last wave of the card.  Fujiyama Volcano is a bitch and a half, but the method I use works for me pretty decently.  It's hard to copy, though; you have to stay under Mokou as long as possible so you kill her before it gets really shitty to dodge.  It seemed like you went into it blind.  Most of the shots are pseudo-aimed at you, so you want to misdirect/stream the big explosives and then stream the fast red bullets.  The other bullets exist purely to piss you off, unfortunately.  It's really hard. 

For PbP, I just fly in a circle around the edge of the screen for the first wave, then slowly tap up with the beat for the second wave, and then fly around in a circle for the last wave.  The explosions are pretty tiny, so don't worry about moving too far there.  Hourai Doll is basically 'fly around in a circle in the center of the screen' with extra bullets thrown in after a while.  It's way easier than stuff like BoLaD and Q.E.D., although it's tough to capture unless you're good at really tight dodging.

You're pretty good, so I think you can clear the stage if you just go into the bossfight with more resources and master her early cards.  The biggest wall for me was Fujiyama Volcano.  Unfortunately there's no real good way to learn that spell outside of playing it in spell practice a whole lot and hoping you don't fuck up, because if you have to bomb the timing and patterns get all messed up and you're pretty screwed :X  Keep at it!  You can do it!!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
In terms of the later spells, Phoenix's Tail is just straightforward dodging.  It helps if you try to read ahead into the mess a bit.  For 'Woo', it's not too bad if you can misdirect the last wave of the card.  Fujiyama Volcano is a bitch and a half, but the method I use works for me pretty decently.  It's hard to copy, though; you have to stay under Mokou as long as possible so you kill her before it gets really shitty to dodge.  It seemed like you went into it blind.  Most of the shots are pseudo-aimed at you, so you want to misdirect/stream the big explosives and then stream the fast red bullets.  The other bullets exist purely to piss you off, unfortunately.  It's really hard.

Ah, how observant. That was my second time meeting Phoenix Tail and my first time seeing Fujiyama Volcano. I'mmmmmmmm not sure how exactly I'm supposed to capture that any time soon.

You're pretty good,

Ha ha ha ha ha :]
Explain the wall that is Captain Murasa at 60fps

Explain the wall that is Captain Murasa at 60fps

There are gaps in the wall. You must be able to look beyond the edge of the screen.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Eh, what?

I figured that around 70% of my failure can be attributed to the last fifth of the fourth stage, where items, bullets, UFO collection, and general clustersmeg all goes to hell in a hamsterball.
I counted three deaths to stray bullets when I'm focusing elsewhere in the chaos.
So when I enter Murasa's fight with 1 life and 1 bomb, I end up dying on either Sinker Ghost or Phantom Port Harbor (?).

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
Was doing great on PCB stage 4 Easy with max starting lives (I'm terrible, if it hasn't sunk in yet)
Died a lot of derp deaths to Lunasa (who I find a lot easier than Lyrica on easy, anyways)
Went into stage 5 with 1 life and 3 bombs.
Died another derp death.  Okay, fine.  I'll get a couple free lives after Youmu -
*forgets to redirect the opener*
FUUUUUUUU--
*pachew*

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Ugh, so I get Phantasm romance and try it for the first time last night. I 1cc both normal and other mode on my first tries, with 5 and 3 extra lives left respectively.

I try playing it today like 6 times, and can't even reach suika with 3 lives left on normal mode. wtf seriously.. Well except for my first attempt today which doesn't really count since I unlocked Yukari on stage 4 or whatever and decided to give it a go. what a crappy fight. She's not so bad until her last 2 spellcards or whatever which are TOTAL memory fests only. I mean It's like the final part of her final spellcard in PCB (the one where you start dodging at 9 o'clock and start rotating clockwise until you're at about 3 o'clock then you win). Except for the first 2 waves (out of like 50 bajillion),  you really can't just twitch it. blah.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
SUNNAVA BITCH

hint: 449/450 point items and see those point items right above the FULL POWERUP item?
FUCK.

Would have made it if i wasn't using slow assed reimu.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Mefi handed my bitch of an ass to me ten times over each and every match for 4 matches in Soku. "Oh, I haven't played this in a year!" doesn't make it hurt any less.

Also, if I could filter out my bad deaths in PCB Phantasm, I would have Yukari beat thrice over in a single playthrough.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
EoSD Stage 3 Perfect attempt.

Death on Colorful Sign [Colorful Rain] followed by capturing [Extreme Colorful Typhoon] for the first time ever.  :qq:

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

So did a run of SA hard to see how the difficulty on that was since it's been a while.

Completely and totally easy for the most part.

I died on

Satori's opener
Terrifying Hypnotism
Cat Walk
Hell's Tokamak
Hell's Tokamak again

All deaths were totally stupid and I should have 1 lifed it.

Oh, and that life piece that I let drop off the screen after Kisume. That won't make any difference in the ending lives. Guess how many life pieces away I was from a life at the end.

I got inspired by the incredible no vertical extra runs and attempted a no horizonal SA extra

I figured out the optimal survival strategy for the pre midboss stage part, and I believe Sanae can be defeated with a single strategic bomb (talking about the one to get into position after her second card, not killing her during dialogue. And even that one might be optional, not entirely sure) and bucketload of luck. I guess Koishi's first card could be beaten if you remember where the lazors spawn  ::)  and use your bombs with good timing. The rest of the fight will be a dead end though :(

I've considered a GFW extra no horizontal, but the red rings of death fairies are painful, it should be more viable to beat, since you can destroy bullets and everything... but I dunno.

Suggestions are welcome!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

NEETori

• TECHNOLOGY!
I can usually perfect stages 1-3 of PCB, and end up with a few lives after stage 4 easy.
The most recent run I did I derp deathed my way through all of 2-3 and ended up with exactly no bombs and no lives at the beginning of stage 5, dodged everything up unto spam bull shit part 1, and then died.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
SA Extra No Vert and Stuff
See: This, and maybe my take on it from some time ago. Of note is the amount of luck required to do the second survival Spell Card without having the bullets coming in from the side actually being in your path, thus omnomnom'ing your precious resources.

You may also want to consider (if it's worth your time) to learn how to potentially do "Youkai Polygraph" with minimal bomb usage / deaths, though it requires some clever use of the gapping to effectively, redirect the bullets coming from the polygraph itself thereby allowing you to continuously loop around without ever leaving the bottom.

Sanae can be (or should be) defeated with relative ease, though using a single bomb to get by had negligible consequences on your resources further down the line IIRC.

As for Fairy Wars, :shrug:
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Eh, what?

I figured that around 70% of my failure can be attributed to the last fifth of the fourth stage, where items, bullets, UFO collection, and general clustersmeg all goes to hell in a hamsterball.
I counted three deaths to stray bullets when I'm focusing elsewhere in the chaos.
So when I enter Murasa's fight with 1 life and 1 bomb, I end up dying on either Sinker Ghost or Phantom Port Harbor (?).

The stage is 100% about dodging. (Which is pretty sweet btw.) Concentrate on dodging the bullets before anything else. You don't want to lose three lives to stray bullets right. Make UFO collection secondary. I know, its a pain but if you wanna play this you gotta live with it.

All of Murasa's non-spells are simple and pattern-based. Not too bad on Normal mode when things are slow.
Her first spellcard i assume you understand the simplicity of. At her second spellcard its important to know that the way the bullets are aimed depends on your position in relation to Murasa. You want to stand under her as much as possible.

Her third spellcard: The anchors are aimed. On Normal mode, all the AB bullets should allign themselves in a simple pattern. With a bit of practice you should be able to get it down.

With her final card you'll want to move as much as possible to she doesn't get all the bullets cluttered together.

RAWR RAGE TIMES 10 #?%&#?/FF"#& MarisaC SA Nitori cards...

Fuck. Those things are damn hard. Even the third one that i thought would be simple. And the second Kappa Porocca seems to be the most menacing one.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Oh god Phantasm you are a thorn in my side

Please help me with stupid cards that I am being stupid on

Protection of Zenki and Goki (09/29)
Dakini's Heavenly Possession (09/26)
Curse of Dreams and Reality (01/12)

Boundary of Motion and Silence (00/08)

Mesh of Light and Darkness (04/08)
Xanadu of Straight and Curve (04/05)
Yukari's Spiriting Away (02/05)

Butterfly in the Zen Temple (00/04)
Double Death Butterfly (00/03)
Ran Freaking Yakumo Stinks And Needs To Die (00/02)

Card No. 139 (00/00)
Card No. 140 (00/00)
Card No. 141 (00/00)

On a sidenote, I've hit the 20 hour gameplay time mark in PCB.
I don't think that's a particularly "good" thing.

MTSranger

• =.=
Boundary of Motion and Silence
Move in a counter-clockwise circle above the bottom to stream the familiars and dodge the bullets.
You have to keep moving.

Butterfly in the Zen Temple
This should be easy 100% capture if you get it. Basically when you hear the sound (or when all bullets become cherry items) move up left unfocused and start to circle around her. Exit when the red lasers deactivate.

Shikigami Ran
Ran is aimed at your horizontal position. If you stay at the bottom, you can avoid the bullets that she fire when hitting the bottom. Otherwise, just don't get too close when she charges towards you.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Thanks... I can't get that far anymore though...

Double Spoilerrrrrr

Level Five is Difficult! :V

Perfect run of GFW Extra stage portion, enter Marisa with 604% motivation and 300% Perfect Freeze.

Game over on Test Slave. .

what

I hate Utsuho.

Another No Vert failure

No vert 1cc is pretty much 1 miss or no miss up to Utsuho and hoping not to derp which is way too damn easy to do on No Vert. So of course I derp(and had more than 1 miss as well before) and don't have enough resources to time out the final. That and well I don't know how to properly handle the final without vertical movement.

I will get this no vert 1cc, I will. Those final 2 cards though are just complete BS like that though.

If anyone has tips for not derping No Vert Utsuho and Orin, It'd be helpful.

I don't even get how you'd beat Heaven or Hell Meltdown no vert, never mind Artificial Sun.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

hell and Heaven Meltdown is obviously bomb and die a lot. Nothing can be done about that because you're in a sun.

Final card is staying to the side since the only vertical movement is what the card forces. Problem is that it takes so many resources to time the card out since due to bomb armor and invincibility times you can't just stay in the sun to kill it.

NEETori

• TECHNOLOGY!
Got to Yuyu's last non-survival card, no lives. 2 bombs.  And rammed a bubble on the first wave. :colonveeplusalpha:

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
AAAARRGHHFFFGGCCGCGHKKK DOUBLE SPOILERRR

23 SCENES CAPTURED AND LEVEL 6 IS A BITCH