Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 150819 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Go play Sakuya. That'll solve your problem since her bombing penalty is low.

*tries to play SakuyA twenty three times

The only thing I can bring to mind is
GFD IT SAKUYA YOUR DEATHBOMB TIMER IS LIKE NEGATIVE
so that's out the window

Marisa is just totally out of the equation.
There is no way.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
What the hell is this? I'm trying to record my perfect PCB extra and first Phantasm clear, and the game keeps randomly glitching on me. I finally decide to record them, and something else gets in the way...

*tries to play SakuyA twenty three times

The only thing I can bring to mind is
GFD IT SAKUYA YOUR DEATHBOMB TIMER IS LIKE NEGATIVE
so that's out the window

Marisa is just totally out of the equation.
There is no way.
Use SakuyaB, not A.

You probably shouldn't pick a character just because of the deathbomb timer. Because you don't "plan" to deathbomb, in a sense. You recognize when the attack is too tough for you to handle, then bomb normally.

And Marisa is good in PCB, whaddayatalk? :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
I hate SB's shot :V
I try to save my bombs for when I'm hit.
Sakuya having 4 is a good start.
Marisa...
Marisa moves fast.
She gets two bombs.
Those bombs subtract an ASSLOAD of cherries
when she dies it subtracts an ASSLOAD of cherries
Illusion Laser is nearly useless in 80% of situations
Magic Missile.............. s'aight.

I will have to go through and 1CC it with Sakuya B though :I

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
You're supposed to use bombs normally so you don't have to worry about getting hit in the first place. Trust me, you'll survive a lot longer if you approach your runs like this.

I suppose Marisa's speed might throw you off if you're not used to her. But if you look on the bright side, it's not nearly as bad as it could be (read: EoSD Marisa). Also, Marisa has a pretty high Cherry gain overall, netting you a lot of Supernatural Borders. When used strategically, this makes up for the fewer actual bombs per life.

Score by itself doesn't do anything, so if you're looking for a clear don't get to wrapped up in it. Collect Point items for lives, of course, but don't continuously put yourself at risk just to increase the score. Like I mentioned in the accomplishments thread, you'll have plenty of time to scorerun after you've 1cc'd the thing.

MarisaB's shot is almost as powerful as MarisaA's, and both are among the strongest shots in the entire game. MarisaB's bombs are also the strongest in the game bar none. I'd say she can be useful.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Lord Scalgon

• Trying to get used to things...
It's been some 300+ MoF stage 6 lunatic runs and I still can't even capture Kanako's 1st non-card.  I guess something's wrong with me?

(while doing that, just trying to pull off a no bomb no death VoWG timeout...like that'll ever happen...)
Current ambition: NBND VoWG timeout.  Best run: NB1D

MTSranger

• =.=
It's been some 300+ MoF stage 6 lunatic runs and I still can't even capture Kanako's 1st non-card.  I guess something's wrong with me?

(while doing that, just trying to pull off a no bomb no death VoWG timeout...like that'll ever happen...)
Use Marisa C. Get 4 frostthrowers on her. Concentrate HARD to dodge the stuff.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
MarisaB's shot is almost as powerful as MarisaA's, and both are among the strongest shots in the entire game.
I know this for a fact, but personally, I feel that MarisaB's shot type is the worst in PCB. She was the one character that took me FOREVER to clear Extra with. Everyone else were a piece of cake (mostly). I really don't ever intend to play as that one ever again, unless I want to have fun bombing everything for the heck of it,  because her bombs are pretty cool.

Also, SakuyaA is easily the easiest character to play as. But it comes with drawbacks. The cherry points drop far more than SakuyaB, if I recall, when you bomb. The shot is a little weaker than SakuyaB's also, but is aimed, so it's very useful in certain situations. (like the safespots in Ran and Yukari's last spells (excluding Danmaku Bounded Field) especially when the safespot is not directly under them) Also, Sakuya's focused speed is the fastest in the game, but it's actually not that hard to control. After a few plays with her, you got it.

I would recommend SakuyaA for a while. It will be the easiest with her. Either that, or possibly ReimuB. Whatever floats your boat.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

I hate SB's shot :V
Having an absurdly huge range and being decently powerful is a bad thing now?

I try to save my bombs for when I'm hit.
That's what you're doing wrong. You don't /try/ to deathbomb, you bomb in advance; 90% of deathbombs are you bombing in advance and happening to bomb at the last possible second (the other 10% is MoF scorebombing :V). You do not and will not have the reaction time to realize you've been hit and bomb fast enough.

Marisa...
Marisa moves fast.
She gets two bombs.
Those bombs subtract an ASSLOAD of cherries
when she dies it subtracts an ASSLOAD of cherries
Marisa's speed takes a few tries to get used to, then she's no more difficult to control than any other character.
You shouldn't be wrapped up in score anyway, if you're just going for a clear. And if you /are/ so concerned with score, SakuyaB happens to be the best in the game for that by far! :V

Also, SakuyaA is easily the easiest character to play as. But it comes with drawbacks. The cherry points drop far more than SakuyaB, if I recall, when you bomb. The shot is a little weaker than SakuyaB's also, but is aimed, so it's very useful in certain situations. (like the safespots in Ran and Yukari's last spells (excluding Danmaku Bounded Field) especially when the safespot is not directly under them) Also, Sakuya's focused speed is the fastest in the game, but it's actually not that hard to control. After a few plays with her, you got it.

I would recommend SakuyaA for a while. It will be the easiest with her. Either that, or possibly ReimuB. Whatever floats your boat.
SakuyaA has a hideous Cherry gain and is the weakest shot in the game. If you really need a shottype to get used to the dodging aspect of the series, use ReimuA; her homing doesn't require you to focus, she's stronger than SakuyaA (and when homing Reimu is stronger than you, something is seriously wrong), and she has a much slower focused speed.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
SakuyaA has a hideous Cherry gain and is the weakest shot in the game. If you really need a shottype to get used to the dodging aspect of the series, use ReimuA; her homing doesn't require you to focus, she's stronger than SakuyaA (and when homing Reimu is stronger than you, something is seriously wrong), and she has a much slower focused speed.
Wrong. Just looked this up.

Ordered by Power (not Close)
0:07/0:11/0:14 MarisaA F
0:08/0:11/0:12 MarisaB F
0:08/0:11/0:14 SakuyaB F
0:08/0:11/0:15 MarisaA UF
n:nn/0:13/0:19 ReimuB F Far
0:10/0:15/0:18 SakuyaB UF Far
0:10/0:14/0:20 SakuyaA F
0:12/0:19/0:22 ReimuB UF Far
0:14/0:18/0:20 ReimuA UF Far
0:14/0:19/0:20 MarisaB UF Far
n:nn/0:23/0:24 ReimuA F Far
0:42/0:55/0:39 SakuyaA UF Far (*1)
TF2 Backpack

Use ReimuB or MarisaA instead. They deal much greater damage plus you'll get much better at the game if you actively target the enemies instead of just relying on homing.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
WHY When I am perfecting PCB extra must I get hit bit a little butterfly on CHEN ? CHEN !!
...*rage*
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
WHY When I am perfecting PCB extra must I get hit bit a little butterfly on CHEN ? CHEN !!
...*rage*
chen ruined my runs so many times as well. fffff

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
chen ruined my runs so many times as well. fffff
Not the midboss, Ran's card :V
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Tried practicing SanaeB wallfairy tactics. still can't do it right.

Tried messing around with other tactics and found one that's completely useless for the sake of runs because I've only ever gotten it to work at 1.xx. 2.xx, 3.xx, and 4.xx doesn't seem to work because the fairies involved still get to shoot for some reason on those powers.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
Not the midboss, Ran's card :V

I was wondering why you said butterfly.

SA Extra stage part is ungodly annoying. Maybe one in ten runs I can make it to Sanae with no lives lost, just so bumper crops can utterly rape me.

MTSranger

• =.=
SA Extra stage part is ungodly annoying. Maybe one in ten runs I can make it to Sanae with no lives lost, just so bumper crops can utterly rape me.
Wait until you play UFO Extra :V

If you aren't doing already, try Reimu A

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
Wait until you play UFO Extra :V

If you aren't doing already, try Reimu A

Played UFO Extra too. I'm putting that off until I beat two games in Lunatic.

Also yeah, I'm using ReimuA. Homing sucks in SA. ReimuC seems like it might be useful, if I can actually control it properly (which I can't).

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Surprisingly, ReimuC's bomb is still relatively good for Extra (probably tied with ReimuA and maybe better than MarisaC) because you can fly like a madman and still clear 90% of the bullets. Better than MarisaC's bomb (I guess) because of the length to let you pass the survival cards.

But the shot isn't terribly good, but you can manipulate it during Genetics for some extra damage.
But I still recommend MarisaC or ReimuA, the former for her surprisingly handy bomb (border system and a full screen clear) and not shit damage and Needles for Yukari (because every time Yukari is Reimu's partner Reimu apparently becomes the best shot)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Gurgh...

I give up. I have studied Apollo 13 off and on for years. I have worked at it from every angle, tried every strategy, tried to break the attack down in several ways, but nothing works. My grand conclusion for my spell card analysis is...it's trash. It's trash that a beginner Danmakufu designer would spit out in ten minutes. There is no way to make it easier. All you can do is make the unreasonable dodges where bullets overlap with your hitbox and everything is completely random. If someone can prove me wrong, I implore them to.

And no, obviously I haven't perfected Eirin yet. :V
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Gurgh...

I give up. I have studied Apollo 13 off and on for years. I have worked at it from every angle, tried every strategy, tried to break the attack down in several ways, but nothing works. My grand conclusion for my spell card analysis is...it's trash. It's trash that a beginner Danmakufu designer would spit out in ten minutes. There is no way to make it easier. All you can do is make the unreasonable dodges where bullets overlap with your hitbox and everything is completely random. If someone can prove me wrong, I implore them to.

And no, obviously I haven't perfected Eirin yet. :V
You can always do the cheater method of peeking under Eirin's skirt! That's what I did to get it, though it takes patience and fine movements. (though that's kinda the same thing for capping it the real way anyways)

Just good luck doing that in a perfect run.
TF2 Backpack

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
I've had countless runs that were perfect up until Apollo 13, and at least two that were perfect aside from it. Also that "safespot" is just as dangerous as doing it normally on lunatic, if not more so. :[ Trust me, if I believed I could do it consistently I would. Eirin does not deserve any quarter.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MTSranger

• =.=
I think Apollo 13 has 2 rings (red and blue) of randomly rotated static patterns.
If the rings are rotated the wrong amount, it will probably wall you.

blackrider19

• Ideas are bulletproof... not spark-proof
I'm so tired of trying to do StB stage 7, why the fk does sakuya's knives have such HUGE hitboxes. Apollo 13 isn't that hard but the problem is you have to get past the bullet walls several times, the worst final stage card is still byakuren's curvy laser card, followed by yuyuko (PCB is the hardest game for me). Also, yuugi's too manly to be a stage 3 boss, and i lose more lives on her than satori...

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
lol SA lunatic

lol SA lunatic

Dodge the easy stuff, bomb the rest: 1cc get.

easy stuff
SA lunatic

There's clearly a contradiction in the witness's statement, your honor!

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Failed two almost identical SA Extra runs on Rose. Well, "run" isn`t quite the right word...I used safespot on Rice Shower as always, bombed the hell out of Id and all non-spells, not even bothered with dodging on Super-Ego and abused the living hell of pause button on everything from Rorschach onwards sans Embers of Love. I`m fucking sick of Sanae, Koishi and that goddamn stage. The worst thing is, if ZUN could just bring Spell Practice back, I`m sure I would actually dodge them after a few hours of practice. Also, is it easier to timeout Rose or to finish it?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Subterranean Rose has no timeout phase, so if you have the dexterity to dodge the first phase for four minutes, go for it.