Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 6): Broken History (Complete)  (Read 70780 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 6): Broken History
« Reply #960 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
>"For the time being. But, may I say goodbye to Maribel and Renko?"

« Reply #961 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
>"For the time being. But, may I say goodbye to Maribel and Renko?"

>"Ordinarily, I would prefer you didn't. It would be best for us to have no further presence in this world. Maribel will understand where you went and why, and she may even see you again someday." Yukari pauses, and frowns thoughtfully. "But if it truly matters to you, I might be inclined to make an exception, just this once. I owe you a great deal, some of which you realize, and some of which you may not."
>She starts to sink into the gap she rests on. "Say your goodbyes, Keine. I'll be here when you return."
>Yukari vanishes into the gap and it seals closed after her. The elevator doors open. Renko is standing in front of them, looking rather taken aback.
>"What're you doing back this way?" she asks. "And where's Gengetsu and Mugetsu? I was beginning to think the elevator was broken, or something."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #962 on: October 13, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
>"That was probably Yukari, with the elevator. She just took the sisters home. I wanted to say goodbye to you two before I left, as well."

« Reply #963 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
>"That was probably Yukari, with the elevator. She just took the sisters home. I wanted to say goodbye to you two before I left, as well."

>Renko nods. "So this is it, then, is it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #964 on: October 13, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
>"For the time being. Yukari seems to be confident that you'll find you're way to Gensokyo on your own."

« Reply #965 on: October 13, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
>"For the time being. Yukari seems to be confident that you'll find you're way to Gensokyo on your own."

>Renko smiles. "Maybe we will. Sure not going to stop trying, anyway. Thanks again for everything."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #966 on: October 13, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
>Renko smiles. "Maybe we will. Sure not going to stop trying, anyway. Thanks again for everything."

>"I'm glad we could help. It's a shame things got as muddled as they did. But everything worked out. And it's been nice to see what the outside's been doing without us."
>"Will it be possible to see Maribel? Or do the chirurgeons have her occupied?"

>_

« Reply #967 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:45 PM »
>"I'm glad we could help. It's a shame things got as muddled as they did. But everything worked out. And it's been nice to see what the outside's been doing without us."
>"Will it be possible to see Maribel? Or do the chirurgeons have her occupied?"

>"And it was nice to see real proof of those other worlds out there with my own two eyes," Renko says. "It's nice to know what you're searching for is really there, you know?"
>Renko looks at you strangely. "The... who? Anyway, she's got a doctor and nurse kinda hovering over her at the moment, making sure she's ok and such. Although we could probably slip back in if we wait a little bit."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #968 on: October 13, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
>"...You know what? To hell with them, they can make a little bit of time. Maribel's fine."
>Back toward the room!
>"Hey...want to do me a favor, Renko?"

« Reply #969 on: October 13, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
>"...You know what? To hell with them, they can make a little bit of time. Maribel's fine."
>Back toward the room!
>"Hey...want to do me a favor, Renko?"

>"Yeah, but you know they're not going to buy the actual explanation," Renko says, "So they'll have to give her the whole battery of tests to satisfy themselves. I don't think Maribel really minds, though. And honestly, I couldn't care less, as long as she's ok."
>You step out of the elevator and head back towards Maribel's room. Renko follows you.
>"Would be the least I could do after this, I imagine. What did you want?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #970 on: October 13, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
>"Could you get me a newspaper and a phone book? I owe someone back home those things."

« Reply #971 on: October 13, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
>"Could you get me a newspaper and a phone book? I owe someone back home those things."

>Renko raises an eyebrow. "Really? A phone book seems like kind of a strange souvenir, but what do I know. I might be able to scrounge up a newspaper from one of the waiting rooms, but the only phone books are probably behind the reception desks or at the payphones downstairs. Would feel kinda awkward swiping one."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #972 on: October 13, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
>"Consider it payback for not giving you a cot to sleep on."

« Reply #973 on: October 13, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »
>"Consider it payback for not giving you a cot to sleep on."

>Renko laughs. "I suppose I'll see what I can turn up. Want me to run along and do that now?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #974 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
>"Yeah. Meet me back at the elevator, or the room if I'm not there yet."

« Reply #975 on: October 13, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
>"Yeah. Meet me back at the elevator, or the room if I'm not there yet."

>"Got it," Renko says, turning back the way she came.
>You arrive outside Maribel's room again. Looking in, you can see a balding middle-aged man in a white coat speaking with her, scribbling something on a clipboard held in his hands, while a nurse stands nearby, adjusting some of the equipment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #976 on: October 13, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
>Clear throat.
>Once attention is gotten, "Hey, would you mind leaving us some privacy for a couple minutes. You can see she's alright, so there's nothing to worry about in the meantime."

>_

« Reply #977 on: October 13, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
>Clear throat.
>Once attention is gotten, "Hey, would you mind leaving us some privacy for a couple minutes. You can see she's alright, so there's nothing to worry about in the meantime."

>You clear your throat in an attempt to get some attention. Maribel looks up at you with a somewhat puzzled expression. The doctor seems to notice and turns around.
>The doctor regards you with a vaguely disapproving look. "May I ask who-"
>"It's fine, really," Maribel interjects. "She's a friend of mine. And really, I feel fine. We'll only be a moment."
>The doctor still seems rather dissatisfied, but acquiesces. "You can have a moment," he says, as he moves to leave. He continues to regard you dubiously as he passes by and exits the room. The nurse follows after him momentarily.

>"What's wrong?" Maribel asks, after they've left. "Where are the others?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #978 on: October 13, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
>"Yukari met us. They've headed back home. I wanted to say goodbye first, though."

« Reply #979 on: October 13, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »
>"Yukari met us. They've headed back home. I wanted to say goodbye first, though."

>"Oh." Maribel is silent for a moment. "Thank you, Keine. For everything. I'll never forget what happened here, and I'm... glad that I got to meet you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #980 on: October 13, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
>"We'll meet again, I'm sure."
>Smile.
>"If nothing else, I expect you to dream your way into my front room and help yourself to some tea in the middle of the night. Yukari seems to expect you and Renko will find your way there properly in good time."

« Reply #981 on: October 13, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
>"We'll meet again, I'm sure."
>Smile.
>"If nothing else, I expect you to dream your way into my front room and help yourself to some tea in the middle of the night. Yukari seems to expect you and Renko will find your way there properly in good time."

>Maribel smiles back at you. "I'd like that. And I fully intend to prove her right. After all the things I've seen now, I'm more committed than ever. So... until next time, then?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #982 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »
>"Until then, Maribel."
>Give her a hug, and assuming there's naught else, head back toward the elevator.

« Reply #983 on: October 13, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
>"Until then, Maribel."
>Give her a hug, and assuming there's naught else, head back toward the elevator.

>Maribel nods, and you lean in to give her a hug. She returns it warmly.
>"Have a safe trip," she says, as you turn to leave.
>You pass the doctor in the hallway as you exit. He gives you another vaguely disapproving glance before heading back into the room. You reach the elevator without further incident.

>Renko shows up after a few moments, a newspaper and somewhat worn-looking phone book in hand.
>"It's yesterday's paper," she says. "I hope you don't mind?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #984 on: October 13, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
>"That'll do just fine. Thank you, Renko."
>Accept the goods. Then give her a hug. "I'll see you next time."
>Presuming nothing else requires a reply, board the elevator.

« Reply #985 on: October 13, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
>"That'll do just fine. Thank you, Renko."
>Accept the goods. Then give her a hug. "I'll see you next time."
>Presuming nothing else requires a reply, board the elevator.

>"Sure, no problem," she says. "Kinda feels stingy, after what you did, to be honest, but..."
>You accept the newspaper and phone book, then give Renko a hug. She seems caught off-guard for a moment, but then returns it in kind. "Count on it," she says.
>You press the elevator button and the doors open. You step inside as Renko waves goodbye and then the doors close between you.

>"Shall we go home, then?" Yukari says, as soon as you're alone again.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #986 on: October 13, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
>"Let's. And out of curiosity, you said I helped you in ways I didn't know. What would those ways be?"

« Reply #987 on: October 14, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
>"Let's. And out of curiosity, you said I helped you in ways I didn't know. What would those ways be?"

>She smiles enigmatically. "Well, if I told you, they wouldn't be ways you didn't know, anymore, would they? You've been through far too many troubles lately, I think. Why don't you just rest your mind a little, now, hmm?"
>Yukari gestures with her hand and a gap opens beside you.
>"You've done a great service to Gensokyo," she says. "Be proud of yourself."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #988 on: October 14, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
>"I'd just like to know the full impact of what I did, that's all. But alright, keep your mysteries."
>Once she gives the all clear, step through.

« Reply #989 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »
>"I'd just like to know the full impact of what I did, that's all. But alright, keep your mysteries."
>Once she gives the all clear, step through.

>"You saved the existence of the Gensokyo you knew," Yukari responds. "I believe that is enough."
>You wait a moment to see if she has anything else to add, then turn to enter the gap. The moment before you step inside, you hear Yukari's voice again.
>"Oh, and for the record," she says, "I still would greatly enjoy seeing Remilia's face if ever anyone did paint the real mansion in polka dots."
>With a frown, you turn back to her, but find she has vanished without a trace. Nothing remains but the gap beside you.