Author Topic: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 73229 times)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »
>Did we ever get an explanation for how the spellcard system works, particularly the capturing part? Or why Shizuha was worked up?

Granted, we know all of this out of character, but!
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
>Did we ever get an explanation for how the spellcard system works, particularly the capturing part? Or why Shizuha was worked up?

>Not really, your lessons never got far enough to cover spellcards and the like.
>You think Minoriko mentioned it was due to the time of year as well.

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
>"Embarrassingly enough, I'm not sure I ever got a proper explanation for how spellcards work. Hina seemed a little surprised I didn't fire back when she was testing me."
>"Do you know why Shizuha might be so antsy? I'm a little curious."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
>"Embarrassingly enough, I'm not sure I ever got a proper explanation for how spellcards work. Hina seemed a little surprised I didn't fire back when she was testing me."
>"Do you know why Shizuha might be so antsy? I'm a little curious."

>"It's not too difficult to summarize," says Byakuren. She shows you the card. "A spellcard is essentially a pre-made Danmaku pattern. Typically, they are a good deal stronger than one's normal patterns, allowing the user to draw upon something they normally could not in the heat of combat. Some people add other benefits to their cards, such as enhanced protection and the like. The drawback is that they often demand a good deal of focus to use, regardless. As for this card, it would have done you no good to shoot at her. It's designed that the user is protected fully until the card has run its course."
>She gestures toward some symbols on the card. "It is spelled out here, but I don't think you can decode it, yet. Don't feel bad about it. Think of it as akin to musical notation and it will make some sense."
>"As for capturing, it is a courtesy between duelist. If one can fully overcome a card without getting hit or pulling any clever tricks, the user is obligated to give it over as a trophy. I've heard Reimu and Marisa literally have hundreds of captured cards between them."
>You ask her about Shizuha. "Ah, it's nearly autumn, so she'll be going to work soon."

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
> Look at the card and see if we can make sense of it.
> "So then, can everyone in Gensokyo use spell cards?  Can I just pick up any card and use it or are they unique?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »
> Look at the card and see if we can make sense of it.
> "So then, can everyone in Gensokyo use spell cards?  Can I just pick up any card and use it or are they unique?"

>You look over the card. The front bears a stylized set of lines, which make you think of motion. The reminds you of some of the shots you had to dodge as well. The back has a strange grid of symbols in a curious pattern that makes no logical sense to you at a glance. You see a couple kanji, bearing the spellcard's name, and spelling things such as "Column" and "Scatter."
>"Anyone who can use danmaku may use them for such," says Byakuren. "Some people, we magicians in particular, often tie full spells into them, as well, to be used outside of duels. And, in theory, you can use others spellcards if you understand how they made it and can replicate it. In reality, they tend to be too personalized for another to use. However, if one is fairly close to you our skills and abilities, you can copy it."

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
> "I see, so pretty much anyone that uses danmaku.  So then I could make some, but so could oni or kappa or fairies huh?  How hard are they to make anyway?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
> "I see, so pretty much anyone that uses danmaku.  So then I could make some, but so could oni or kappa or fairies huh?  How hard are they to make anyway?"

>"You could," says Byakuren. "And yes. Though it is uncommon that faeries have the attention span to do it, or the power to make good use of one. As for making them, first you have to understand the notation behind them. After that, it depends on what you are seeking to make. It will take some time, and difficulty is relative to what you're trying to make against what you are capable of doing."

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
> "They can't?  How unfortunate.  Renko was actually found by fairies when she came here, but it doesn't really seem like she can get assistance from them with spellcards then."
> Turn to Renko and give her a playful nudge.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »
> "They can't?  How unfortunate.  Renko was actually found by fairies when she came here, but it doesn't really seem like she can get assistance from them with spellcards then."
> Turn to Renko and give her a playful nudge.

>"Actually," says Renko, frowning, "I know a couple faeries who have some. I don't think any of them would be good for teaching, though I think once I get the basics, they can give me tips and things."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
> "Really?  Huh, one of them is Dai then I assume?  Still, I can't really talk, since my place is surrounded by oni, and they're, well, less than personable.  Still, not dead yet!"
> Chuckle like we've told a bad joke.
> "Actually, have the fairies mentioned anyone named Ichirin?  She was telling me today that she spent some time with them over the winter."

Tired of dancing around issues, anyone else thinks they can say it better can feel free.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:01 PM »
> "Actually, have the fairies mentioned anyone named Ichirin?  She was telling me today that she spent some time with them over the winter."

> We don't need to say this, we've already dropped Ichirin's name a couple of times in Renko's presence. She probably would have said something if she knew the name.

> "Speaking of working with fairies, Byakuren, is Ichirin still around? We were hoping to talk to her about her experiences."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
> "Really?  Huh, one of them is Dai then I assume?  Still, I can't really talk, since my place is surrounded by oni, and they're, well, less than personable.  Still, not dead yet!"
> Chuckle like we've told a bad joke.
> We don't need to say this, we've already dropped Ichirin's name a couple of times in Renko's presence. She probably would have said something if she knew the name.

> "Speaking of working with fairies, Byakuren, is Ichirin still around? We were hoping to talk to her about her experiences."

>"No," says Renko, "Although she knows a little about making them. Enough to help the others."
>"In your case, I think it's more than the oni are too personable," Byakuren says.
>You ask about Ichirin. "I'm afraid she isn't in right now," says Byakuren. "She went to town to treat herself to an early dinner."

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »
> "Less personable and more oniable!"
> Bad joke laughter

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »
> "Darn. I guess we'll have to talk to Ichirin later."
> "Hmm...Byakuren, would you mind telling us a little bit about your experience here in Gensokyo? You know, what the populace is generally like? Neither of us has seen a whole lot, since we only just got here."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:03 AM »
> "Darn. I guess we'll have to talk to Ichirin later."
> "Hmm...Byakuren, would you mind telling us a little bit about your experience here in Gensokyo? You know, what the populace is generally like? Neither of us has seen a whole lot, since we only just got here."

>"She'll be back in a little while," says Byakuren.
>"Well, my only experience it a little short," she says. "I've only been unsealed for a year or so. I've found people to be remarkably open-minded as long as one is respectful and does not cause much of a fuss. I've not had much time for exploring myself, between my spiritual obligations and helping with the temple arrangements."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:06 AM »
> "Anything you happen to know about fairies?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:21 AM »
> "Anything you happen to know about fairies?"

>"Well, I understand some of the basics," says Byakuren. "But from the way your friend speaks, I think she may be more familiar with them than I am."

>_

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2010, 03:49:33 AM »
> "Anyways, I guess we'll come back later to catch Ichirin. Mind if we head over to Marisa's now, Renko?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
> "Anyways, I guess we'll come back later to catch Ichirin. Mind if we head over to Marisa's now, Renko?"

>"If that is all you have to ask," says Byakuren, "Then it is fine with me."
>Renko shrugs.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
> "Ah! Actually, I do have a couple of parting questions. If Ichirin returns here before we do, could you ask her to brainstorm ideas for things fairies could do to gain respect here in Gensokyo? This is kinda important to us."
> "Also, we spotted what looked like a house at the edge of the forest, near the intersection of the forest road and the mountain road. Do you have any idea who lives there?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2010, 05:40:40 AM »
> "Ah! Actually, I do have a couple of parting questions. If Ichirin returns here before we do, could you ask her to brainstorm ideas for things fairies could do to gain respect here in Gensokyo? This is kinda important to us."
> "Also, we spotted what looked like a house at the edge of the forest, near the intersection of the forest road and the mountain road. Do you have any idea who lives there?"

>"Alright," says Byakuren. "It's an uunsual request, but I shall pass it on."
>"Ah, that place? I believe it's abandoned," Byakuren says . "I'm not sure who owned it."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2010, 05:47:13 AM »
You are a kind soul, parser. That was the best possible answer to that question.

> "Abandoned, huh? Very interesting."
> Exchange glances with Renko. Squeeze her hand if we're holding it, grab it if we're not.
> "Okay, thank you very much for your help. We'll be back at some point!"
> Take our leave and head back toward the forest.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2010, 05:54:45 AM »
> "Abandoned, huh? Very interesting."
> Exchange glances with Renko. Squeeze her hand if we're holding it, grab it if we're not.
> "Okay, thank you very much for your help. We'll be back at some point!"
> Take our leave and head back toward the forest.

>"Don't do anything too silly," says Byakuren, noting your response, then glance toward Renko; who gives you a half grin after a moment.
>Byakuren nods. "Very well. I shall expect you back."
>You depart, and return toward the forest. Along the way, you notice a single person walking down the road toward it, with some very distinctive and fluffy tails that you can see from the air.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:03 AM »
> Are we in this person's line of vision, or are they walking away from us?
> That's gotta be Ran. Though, we're not wearing our usual outfit...maybe it would be okay for her to see us now?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:39 AM »
> Are we in this person's line of vision, or are they walking away from us?
> That's gotta be Ran. Though, we're not wearing our usual outfit...maybe it would be okay for her to see us now?

>You're coming up behind her, both of you are going in the same direction. Given she is walking while you are flying, you'll soon overtake her.
>You are pretty sure it's Ran, no one else you know of has tails you can see from the air like that. You don't know if she'd see you, or if she'd recognize you in your current garb.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
> Slow down a little bit.
> Point Renko to Ran. Raise eyebrows, but don't say anything.
> How close are we to the abandoned house from Byakuren's? Halfway there?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2010, 06:59:33 AM »
> Slow down a little bit.
> Point Renko to Ran. Raise eyebrows, but don't say anything.
> How close are we to the abandoned house from Byakuren's? Halfway there?

>You slow down. Renko follows suit.
>You point out Ran to Renko. "Wow, are those tails?" she says, "They must be huge!"
>You are not terribly far from the abandoned house at the moment. It is to the Southwest.

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
> Ran is heading towards the "abandoned" house, right?
> And we know that Ran is Yukari's shikigami, right?
> Considering that neither we nor Renko have had any interaction with her, perhaps it would be best to observe her a little more and see if she actually heads into the house.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
>Didn't Reimu tell us where Yukari lives, though?
>We should also explain her to Renko. And Yukari, if she missed that part.