Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 137954 times)

Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »
The turnout was pretty low for Psikyo week, but I think a lot of people were/are just busy. I personally wouldn't mind seeing these games up for another SotW sometime down the road.

Formless God

« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
東方Arrange 「冥土蝶」

You won't believe it if I told you it was a mix between Flowering Night and DOJ Hibachi.
We need a burning Sakuya :V

I've just detected a Crimson Belvedere x ]-[|/34<#! track in a new album (namely, Unorthodox Red from Just Push Play). What's with doujin circles these days ? Well whatever, let's just say I enjoy what I'm seeing here :V
The track isn't that good unfortunately. Past the DFK part is total horribad ear rape.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:28:33 PM by Formless God »

Matsuri

« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
I'm leaving now, when I come back in an hour or two, voting will be closed. If you do not wish to play RFJ you better speak up now!

Matsuri

« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
Well then. RFJ it is.

I'll set up the board now.

This is the last game we shall play until the end of the semester, so have fun!

Matsuri

« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »
All right, it's up and running.

If you are playing the game in MAME, please use the Japanese version, and if you are playing Raiden Fighters Aces for Xbox 360, please use Arcade difficulty. This is because they're the same, and other versions are not, so I'd have to have different scoreboards and it'd be a mess and stuff.

Also, congrats to Azinth for not only winning both games, but by a large margin as well. You get IP for that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:52:35 PM by Matsuri »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
Sorry about not participating this week, guys. <_<; So much stuff happened that I didn't really get time to play much of anything. Hopefully that won't be the case this week.
Let's fight.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
I've just detected a Crimson Belvedere x ]-[|/34<#! track in a new album (namely, Unorthodox Red from Just Push Play). What's with doujin circles these days ? Well whatever, let's just say I enjoy what I'm seeing here :V
The track isn't that good unfortunately. Past the DFK part is total horribad ear rape.
This is saying that the original DFK Hibachi theme wasn't ear rape by itself :smug:

In other news, hooray RFJ! I'm going to be a dork and use the actual Judge Spear and not Slave (Judge Spear)! But it's still a slaves game...
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

LtC

« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
How did you select the slave ships again? Just played RFJ for STGT a while back and already forgot :(

« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
Oh hey, i haz blue name, that's neat.  Still can't help but be a little dissapointed at the turnout, but oh well, RL takes precedence.  Besides, there's still always Strikers '99. >:D

For RFJ I'll be using Ixion because it is a man's ship, complete with fat-ass hitbox

Matsuri

« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
I have always played as the Fairy slave ever since my friend introduced me to the game and said it had the smallest hitbox.

How did you select the slave ships again? Just played RFJ for STGT a while back and already forgot :(

Hold the Bomb button when you press start.

« Reply #520 on: April 12, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
So I haven't slept since Friday... I wonder how far I can get in DoDonPachi in my current state.

« Reply #521 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
Fairy is pretty bad for scoring as the slow speed causes you to easily miss medals. The bomb is great though, IIRC.

Fairy does always get the maximum bonus for grazing while everything else has to build it up and loses it over time. But I think it's something low like just over 2,000 points per frame(or was it second)

Edit: Seconds. If it was frames, Fairy would probably be the best scorer.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:50:45 PM by Enigma »

Matsuri

« Reply #522 on: April 12, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
I've never really had a problem with Fairy's speed. In later levels, I'd much prefer survival over scoring anyway. Stuff can get pretty intense.

« Reply #523 on: April 12, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
First time playing RFJ! Submitted a score just because!

Damn there's a lot of ships! How do you score in this game? Is combining the medals profitable, or should I be going for the "quick shot"/etc bonuses or whatever?

« Reply #524 on: April 12, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
Combine medals until you get the biggest medal. Activate X-Medal mode. Chain medals.

Quickshot bonuses can be chained as well. Chains go up to x9 and stay as long as a bonus message is still on screen.

So if you have a chain of 6 messages, a Fairy, normally worth 100,000 points would be worth 600,000 IIRC. The fairies also drop bombs if you don't pick them up or kill them quickly, but then you lose bonus, but it is good for survival. The exceptions are the Sim 5 Fairies.

Technical Bonus is based on how many Micluses and Fairies are rescued. Also, some other stuff I don't remember. I think it's not dying. If you find all Micluses and get kill them, then you get some. I think it's 80% or higher of all uncovered Fairies. So Fairy killing is bad unless there's at least 5 Fairies on the level.

Fairy killing shouldn't be done anyway unless the amount you gain from multiplier would make it worthwhile. The "Killed the Fairy" message does count toward the bonus chain. So if there are 6 Fairies(Sim 5, IIRC. Maybe it was 5), 100,000* 6 = 600,000. But, if you kill a Fairy, you have a bonus chain, so 200,000 *5= 1,000,000. But then there's the 10 points for killing the fairy, but that's minor.

As mentioned before, grazing is a minor addition to score, but if you're comfortable with it, then do it. I doubt many of us will since it's easy to clip stuff when trying. Grazing, does also slow the medal falling, notably used in chaining an X-Medal in stage 1, which I used to be able to do, but will need to practice again.

Edit: Remembered how. Been derping it up though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:47:23 PM by Enigma »

« Reply #525 on: April 12, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
This sounds more complicated than a Raizing game. :V

Matsuri

« Reply #526 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
It really, really isn't.

It does take some technique to get the medal chaining right, but after that, it's pretty normal from there on. Just know that there are hidden fairies and micluses, and know how to find them, and when a large enemy comes on-screen, kill it fast for bonus points. When the boss comes up, destroy as many parts of it as you can at once.

Don't be afraid to bomb in this game. This is important.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:57:42 PM by Matsuri »

« Reply #527 on: April 12, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
Damn, I suck now. I Not even 10,000,000 and game overing on Sim 5.

I should get back into things during this week hopefully.

Edit: Crap, you can die while bombs are active. I kind of forgot that. I know the Fairy can't, and probably the Miclus too, not counting crashing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:25:41 PM by Enigma »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #528 on: April 12, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »
I get a countdown of a thousand seconds, and then the game doesn't start anyway.

And my 360 isn't working :ohdear:

Matsuri

« Reply #529 on: April 12, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Let the countdown go (throttle will make it go faster), then close the game and restart. Make sure you're playing the Japan version as well.

Go make a sandwich or something while you wait.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #530 on: April 13, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
Also, am I going to get not-100% video and sound compatibility no matter which version of MAME I use?

« Reply #531 on: April 13, 2010, 12:35:32 AM »
congratulations for your efforts and scores, Azinth!

I was away this weekend and probably will be away again.. however I was able to play Gunbird 2 on my friend's 360, and while I still wasn't able to avoid "unnecessary" deaths, I managed to reach 13 chained coins! ( on the first stage, at the castle-thingy. Didn't summon the gem idol, though )

Anyways, here's a guide towards RFJ's secrets ( however, the section about the hidden ships seem to be inaccurate: I just held bomb and then pressed Start at the title screen to use slave ships ): http://web.archive.org/web/20020224150902/alluro95.tripod.com/raiden/rfjsecrets.htm

and here's a demonstration of the information above:
http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?superplay=2611 (189 million points with Judge Spear Slave)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUztKGmYA8 ( 162 million points with Judge Spear, for those who can't/don't want to watch from Super Play )

feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #532 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:40 AM »
These bullets are a lot harder to see than I remembered.

« Reply #533 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
One thing I must say about this game though...

If it doesn't have the worst shmup soundtrack of all time, then it must be pretty damn close. <_<

« Reply #534 on: April 13, 2010, 01:33:53 AM »
One thing I must say about this game though...

If it doesn't have the worst shmup soundtrack of all time, then it must be pretty damn close. <_<

Are you playing it on MAME, or on a 360? I always thought that MAME didn't have the game's sound emulated properly yet..

« Reply #535 on: April 13, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
Got a little over 19,000,000 once earlier. I give up for tonight and will try more tomorrow. Switching between Fairy, Ixion Slave, and Judge Spear Slave. I keep derping Stage 5 and 15. I only got to Sim 30 once.

My original All2 was on Normal, not Arcade. This doesn't even seem that much harder than Normal, but I'm out of practice, so I probably would have failed on that as well. At least, it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

I can't medal chain worth crap, I'm inconsistent on getting a maxed out medal or X-medal status in Sim 1. And some of those Micluses are deathtraps. I also, need to check up on where Fairies and stuff are on later levels.

« Reply #536 on: April 13, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
what I did during STGT'09 was to adapt my gameplay to reduce bonuses while increasing survival chances (and then gradually improve in order to get the bonuses I've missed).. I sometimes refer to this game in the few times I get to think about risk and reward.

Actually, I used most of my playtime during the RFJ week trying to improve my gameplay on Sim 01, because I felt that this was advantageous and would take less effort than trying to score better on Sim 05 first..
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #537 on: April 13, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
just played Battle Garegga for the first time

shit's intense

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #538 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »

shit's intense
Make sure you set the game region (hit Tab, select DIP Switches, then change the region option until it is set) to Japan, the standard ROM floating around on the internet defaults to Europe for some reason, the Europe-licensed version lacks the critical Extends Every 1Mil option which makes the game actually interesting and fun (it defaults to No Extends, which causes rank to increase incredibly slowly, s.t. even if you do all the ""classical"" mistakes of powering up options to full, squatting enemy deadzones, bombspamming your way past bosses, the rank you get going into stage 6 is still manageable. rofl.)

Also, check out the strategy page. Critical stuff is Basics+Rank: Basics Thereof+The Scoring System+Ship Info, interesting stuff is the full explanation of the Rank system which is definetly worth a read sometime if you're going to be playing this game at all seriously. :P
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

« Reply #539 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »

shit's intense

in addition to what Alice had said, you may also want to try out Varth (the World Version, which doesn't use checkpoints. Also, please use autofire, this game's long and you will need that firepower). I've sometimes said that playing Varth for survival demanded just as much attention from me, than playing Dodonpachi with Max Bonus :p
Translations.