Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V4 - Bohemian Art-chive in Japanese Red  (Read 223662 times)

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V4 - Bohemian Art-chive in Japanese Red
« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
[.img][img width= height=]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9475/eukary.jpg[/img][/.img]

Just signed up, and the very first posting in here. Hopefully, I am not going to be shunned for its low quality and for not using any sort of digital tool. The link below is the original scan.

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/eukary.jpg/

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #781 on: February 26, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
[.img][img width= height=]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9475/eukary.jpg[/img][/.img]

Just signed up, and the very first posting in here. Hopefully, I am not going to be shunned for its low quality and for not using any sort of digital tool. The link below is the original scan.

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/eukary.jpg/
Awesome.  :o

ruikomatsu

• Let's fire it up.
  • Would you like some tea?
« Reply #782 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:35 AM »
You did THAT?

Fuuuaskfjfa awesome!
The DotS thread is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad ; w ;

Pixiv     |     My Other Deviantart     |     Tumblr     |    MyAnimeList

[HJD]Red_Herring

« Reply #783 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
Okay, have one more drawing. Could not help but become distracted while writing some lab reports. The mixture of cold espresso, a can of red bull, and two cubes of sugar is able to put even a dead man on the overdrive mode. Any critique, opinion is welcome.

[.img][img width= height=]http://s4.postimage.org/nvxytmunz/Pictures_07_02_005.jpg[/img][/.img]

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #784 on: February 26, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
Holy shit bro.

And you're Canadian.

Fuck man when I see you at AN I'm gonna steal that sketchbook of yours.

« Reply #785 on: February 26, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
Dang, those drawings...  :o
Seriously, those are some of the best pencil drawings I've seen.

ruikomatsu

• Let's fire it up.
  • Would you like some tea?
« Reply #786 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
I seriously think you're awesome.

Make a thread! Make a thread!
The DotS thread is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad ; w ;

Pixiv     |     My Other Deviantart     |     Tumblr     |    MyAnimeList

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »
Holy shit bro.

And you're Canadian.

Fuck man when I see you at AN I'm gonna steal that sketchbook of yours.
Waitwhat? I didn't realize other MotK goers were heading to AN! I'll be there too, if you find any interest in finding me. I'll be the guy with kinda long brown hair and apathetic aura. Descriptive, eh?

But seriously, Herring, you are freakin' kickass, and you should make a thread. RIGHT NOW. Do it! You've already made me incredibly jealous of your skills!

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

pineyappled

« Reply #788 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:42 AM »
Nice to meet you, this is my first post here.
Sketched a Sanae. I was having too much fun with the airbrush tools and opacity settings. >_>

There's also something wrong with her arms. And her face. And it seems like Yukari somehow managed to border her legs away. Heh...
Also, is the Yuyuko last name thing for every time you post?

[HJD]Red_Herring

« Reply #789 on: March 01, 2011, 06:01:36 AM »
First of all, welcome! Glad to see another artist on the board.

I do not know what kind of program you used, but the outline seem to be blurry. So, give some discretion when playing with opacity/density option. Now, let's talk about some points you have made about your work. I am certainly not the most qualified person to talk about it, but yes, I do see some points where it could use some touch-ups.  Firstly, the distance between her eyes is too great. Since you have not drawn her nose, it is hard to put down the point of reference, but I think her right eye should be shifted towards to left by .2 - .3 cm. Secondly, the jaw line and neck seems to be awkward. Drawing proper jaw line is a pain up the ass if you do not get it right. Just look at me and how I suffer from the problem. Now about the neck, it does not connect the head and the rest of the body right. I am feeling her whole body is twisted in some unnatural ways. I think because of this problem, you were feeling uneasy about her arms. Lastly, drawing legs is hard but, you should give sense of their position through shadows and I am seeing possibly three possible combination for legs' position. Give more depth/contrast to her skirt would fix it right.

Hope you are not offended by my comments and happy drawing.

Menreiki

• I'll get your slippers; if you pet me.
  • No, really.
« Reply #790 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »

Cirno Goo.

Show drunk with a Nazrin Yukkuri.

Marisa Chibi.

Can someone direct me to a good colouring tutorial? I really need to learn how to do it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:30:42 PM by SiestaCephei »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #791 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
Nice to meet you, this is my first post here.
Sketched a Sanae. I was having too much fun with the airbrush tools and opacity settings. >_>

Actually, the way you fiddled with the opacity settings gave the picture a sort of soft look to it. I really like the colors.
But yeah, I would color the skirt with more shading to emphasize the position of the legs.

Can someone direct me to a good colouring tutorial? I really need to learn how to do it.

What kind of tutorial do you need? Are you coloring with colored pencils? Computer?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

pineyappled

« Reply #792 on: March 02, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
Actually, the way you fiddled with the opacity settings gave the picture a sort of soft look to it. I really like the colors.
But yeah, I would color the skirt with more shading to emphasize the position of the legs.
First of all, welcome! Glad to see another artist on the board.

I do not know what kind of program you used, but the outline seem to be blurry. So, give some discretion when playing with opacity/density option. Now, let's talk about some points you have made about your work. I am certainly not the most qualified person to talk about it, but yes, I do see some points where it could use some touch-ups.  Firstly, the distance between her eyes is too great. Since you have not drawn her nose, it is hard to put down the point of reference, but I think her right eye should be shifted towards to left by .2 - .3 cm. Secondly, the jaw line and neck seems to be awkward. Drawing proper jaw line is a pain up the ass if you do not get it right. Just look at me and how I suffer from the problem. Now about the neck, it does not connect the head and the rest of the body right. I am feeling her whole body is twisted in some unnatural ways. I think because of this problem, you were feeling uneasy about her arms. Lastly, drawing legs is hard but, you should give sense of their position through shadows and I am seeing possibly three possible combination for legs' position. Give more depth/contrast to her skirt would fix it right.

Hope you are not offended by my comments and happy drawing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Leaving this 5-sec Ran here.

@SiestaCephei- The Cirno is adorable.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:24:52 AM by pineyappled »

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #793 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
Leaving this 5-sec Ran here.

5 second ran image
5 seconds of your life well-spent, gj =w=b

i went ahead and did a quick sketch after seeing it
[attach=1]
[edit] added some final touches so i can post it on pixiv
[edit2] forgot to un-squish the face before uploading, did that now
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:20:40 PM by bennelsey »

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #794 on: March 02, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
it has literally been almost two years now since I seriously tried to draw characters. Going through this art section and seeing people improve, seeing people's first posts be such wonderful works of art, I am BURNING for it, the creative voice that has so long been dead is SCREAMING, I got the feeling that I had to draw RIGHT NOW and a pen and sketchbook were immediately in my hand, a sketchbook I have not touched since high school....!

I feel like if I can get back into art, I will rekindle something beautiful that I have lost. In this sketchbook are some of the best drawings I have ever made in my llife. Everything else I've had laying around were things from my college class that were made when I was super depressed and doubtful of my skill. This sketchbook is full of my dreams!

I must practice practice practice. Animu faces and the human figure, gird thy loins! THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #795 on: March 02, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
This picture ought to be required viewing for budding artists who feel like there's no way their work will ever improve enough to be worthwhile.

http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=556431
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Aoshi-shi

« Reply #796 on: March 03, 2011, 12:04:03 AM »
Wow.

That gives me hope. So much.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #797 on: March 03, 2011, 01:45:34 AM »
This picture ought to be required viewing for budding artists who feel like there's no way their work will ever improve enough to be worthwhile.

http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=556431

Oh god yes Sayori <3 I love Vanilla and Chocolate <3

pineyappled

« Reply #798 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:29 AM »
Eh, never liked Sayori.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #799 on: March 03, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »
>Sayori

500 hrs in photoshop
everything is airbrushed smooth to fuck
best artist ever

That said, I think I like this one a lot better, if only because it has Shana in it it doesn't take ten full years to get quite good. >_>

pineyappled

« Reply #800 on: March 03, 2011, 03:51:43 AM »
Suwako.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #801 on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
I wish I could describe what makes me like the way you drew suwackor's face

it's got a kind of soft and dreamy structure I don't usually see

Do you have a deviantart, or some place with finished work?

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #802 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »
@pineyappled
Herring already gave you some beautiful feedback on the Sanae, so I'm not going to tarnish that with my own attempt, but I would like to say that I like your stuff. Keep posting it. Also, I like how each consecutive picture feels a little better (though, keep drawing bodies, they're good).

@Red_Herring
Niiiiice. Drawing backgrounds is something I've never been a bad enough dude to do, so whenever I see someone who does it really well (especially when it involves hatching) I find myself staring at the screen grinning.
The only thing I would point out that maybe you could work on is the anatomy--Yukari's left leg and Reisen's right arm in particular are a little bit long, and have a bit of a thing going where they feel just a little too flat against the page (as in, they're parallel with the page, instead of being angled slightly in or slightly out??if that makes any sense at all).

And, because I always feel a little bit strange posting here if I haven't drawn anything myself, here is the result of half an hour waiting for Wine to build prefixes last night.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #803 on: March 03, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
>Sayori

That said, I think I like this one a lot better, if only because it has Shana in it it doesn't take ten full years to get quite good. >_>

Holy crap man...although I still MUCH prefer Sayori <3 this one actually has much bigger change and skills damn

Menreiki

• I'll get your slippers; if you pet me.
  • No, really.
« Reply #804 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
What kind of tutorial do you need? Are you coloring with colored pencils? Computer?

Computer.

[HJD]Red_Herring

« Reply #805 on: March 04, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »
@ S. Nazerine

Ah, many thanks. However, please do not hesitate to voice your opinion because having more comments on the subject opens up opportunity for better criticism. On that principle, I would like to make some comments on your work.

Firstly, you should think about the texture. I know it might sound unnecessary, but it certainly adds another dimension to any work, especially the monochrome ones. Personally, I think hatching for shading skin area is not that great. If you are working with traditional media, give thin layer with 4B pencil then rub the area with Q-tips. Then, use eraser to highlight some area. It takes long time to get it right, but is very satisfactory. Also, when you are hatching, start from light area to dark because hatching adds new shaded area constantly. If you are dead-set about that rough feel, give some consideration to HB or higher grade pencils, ball-point pens, or just use effect sets in Photoshop after scanning the work.

Secondly, give some touch-ups for neck-shoulder area and left wrist. Judging from the angle of her head, I am assuming you took 'slightly from bottom' view. That said, her neck should be shorter, and therefore shifting shoulder and torso upward. Also, the apex of her breast should be higher unless she has sagging racks. The wrist-to-hand for her left could use shaving off that thick outline and turn it more outward.

I think that is it for now, and keep those drawings coming!

Aoshi-shi

« Reply #806 on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:12 AM »
Computer.

Alright, well here's one for photoshop.

If you don't use photoshop, or the tutorial doesn't suit your fancy, I can find another one.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

pineyappled

« Reply #807 on: March 04, 2011, 02:25:17 AM »
Somebody draw Hina. It's girl's day.
My Japanese teacher was talking about hina-ningyo and nagashi-bina today. I was thinking about Hina the whole time.

EDIT
I wish I could describe what makes me like the way you drew suwackor's face

it's got a kind of soft and dreamy structure I don't usually see

Do you have a deviantart, or some place with finished work?

Thanks, and no, sorry. I used to, but the people on dA were too... ugh.
Also, sorry for not replying to your PM. I'll get to that as soon as I get 10 posts. lol;;;

Very, very, very sloppy. IDK how anatomy works. obviously.

edit-fixed slightly

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:58:56 AM by pineyappled »

Aoshi-shi

« Reply #808 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:01 AM »
I believe her body is a bit too long for the rest of her.  :3
Still, it's cute.
Art Thread -->
 |PADherder

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #809 on: March 04, 2011, 04:58:01 AM »
Also, sorry for not replying to your PM. I'll get to that as soon as I get 10 posts. lol;;;
oh, I forgot about those limitations :V no worries