Author Topic: Black Stories ~ Touhou Edition - Case 20: Down to the bottom of Misty Lake!  (Read 72291 times)

Re: Black Stories ~ Touhou Edition - Case 20: Down to the bottom of Misty Lake!
« Reply #960 on: February 28, 2010, 07:18:20 AM »
And she didn't see the ball of darkness until she came near it.

Was Shou trying to use the light coming from the Pagoda?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #961 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:30 AM »
Yes it was daylight but Rumia could have expanded her ball to cover Shou. Shou would think an eclipse happened.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #962 on: February 28, 2010, 07:26:59 AM »
And she didn't see the ball of darkness until she came near it.
There is so much truth in those words, but probably in another way than you think. Try to work your way from this quote.

Was Shou trying to use the light coming from the Pagoda?
YES. It appears in the solution. Don't try to read too much into it though.

Yes it was daylight but Rumia could have expanded her ball to cover Shou. Shou would think an eclipse happened.
Whether she expanded the ball or not is IRRELEVANT to the case.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:34:45 AM by Moe Moe Sakana-Katana »

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #963 on: February 28, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
:/ Once more:

Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda, and wandered into Rumia's black orb unknowingly. Shou realised it was dark and used the light from the pagoda to light the darkness. The light agitated Rumia and caused her to bite Shou on her arm that was holding the Pagoda, causing her to drop it. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda, and wandered into Rumia's black orb unknowingly. Shou realised it was dark and used the light from the pagoda to light the darkness. The light agitated Rumia and caused her to bite Shou on her arm that was holding the Pagoda, causing her to drop it. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
NO. Here's another hint: Try thinking why the underlined statement is unlikely to happen.
Remember Sakana's hint: "Take Shou's perspective. How did the whole situation appear to her? What did she see?"

Was Shou going toward Rumia intentionally?

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Was Shou going toward Rumia intentionally?
WRONG ASSUMPTION. Shou never went towards Rumia. Rumia was the one that went towards Shou, but that is not the only reason why Shou would not wander into Rumia's black orb. Perhaps I should not have underlined "unknowingly", that was not the point.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness until it was really close. When Shou noticed her, she used the light from the pagoda to light the darkness. The light agitated Rumia and caused her to bite Shou on her arm that was holding the Pagoda, causing her to drop it. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading

If the above theory is not correct, did Rumia bite Shou?

EDIT: Typos, thou art annoying.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:16:02 AM by axman36 »

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness until it was really close. When Shou noticed her, she used the light from the pagoda to light the darkness. The light agitated Rumia and caused her to bite Shou on her arm that was holding the Pagoda, causing her to drop it. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
NO. Underlined statements are wrong.

did Rumia bite Shou?
NO. It wouldn't be possible for Rumia to locate Shou that precisely that she can bite her. In fact, Rumia can't see in her ball of darkness so she only attempted to bump into Shou then attack, most probably by biting. However, whether she succeeded or not is irrelevant to the case.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness. Rumia did not know the exact position of the target and attacked the source of light: The Pagoda. This attack caused Shou to drop her Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness. Rumia did not know the exact position of the target and attacked the source of light: The Pagoda. This attack caused Shou to drop her Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
NO. It's been answered before that the reason Shou dropped her pagoda was due to an attempt to defend herself.

What we have to figure out if we wish to solve this is what said attempt of defense is and why Shou did not notice Rumia until she was close.

Did any of the attacks strike Shou?

Did she attempt to dodge the attacks?

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
What we have to figure out if we wish to solve this is what said attempt of defense is?
YES

and why Shou did not notice Rumia until she was close.
NO. She simply did not notice, that's all.

Did any of the attacks strike Shou?
NO

Did she attempt to dodge the attacks?
NO, she opted to defend against it, and that's what caused her to drop the pagoda as said before. This is what's left to be discovered.

In case 4, Sakana also mentioned that we should take the girl's perspective. In that case,  we knew she have not eaten iguana meat before but she thought she did. As a result, we couldn't figure the case out for a long time.
Now this is similar, we knew something, but Shou did not.

Well, this is going to sound quite odd, but...

Does the fact that we know that Shou does not involve something about her pagoda?

Does the fact involve Rumia?

Dead Princess Sakana

Does the fact that we know that Shou does not involve something about her pagoda?
NO

Does the fact involve Rumia?
Very YES

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
Did the method of defense involve her Pagoda?

Did the method of defense involve words?

Did the method of defense involve disabling Rumia?

Shou did not know Rumia was in the black orb at all and was startled at that fact.

Dead Princess Sakana

Ah, we're getting closer to the truth.

Did the method of defense involve her Pagoda?
NO. Only in that she dropped it involuntarily, as has been discovered already.

Did the method of defense involve words?
NO

Did the method of defense involve disabling Rumia?
NO

Shou did not know Rumia was in the black orb at all and was startled at that fact.
YES for the first part

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Speculative shot:

Does Shou even know who or what Rumia is?

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Does Shou even know who or what Rumia is?
NO, this leads to a very important inference.

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
Did Rumia ever showed her face at all?

If so, was this after Shou's act of defense?

Or was it before?

Did the act of defense involve shielding herself?

Dead Princess Sakana

Did Rumia ever showed her face at all?
IRRELEVANT

If so, was this after Shou's act of defense?
See above, if she did, it would only have been afterwards

Or was it before?
See above

Did the act of defense involve shielding herself?
YES

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness. With the fact that Shou did not know Rumia was in the ball of darkness at all, she was caught off guard when Rumia attacked her. She managed to defend herself in time by shielding herself with her arm holding the Pagoda. Rumia bumped into the arm, causing Shou to drop the Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.

...I feel pretty clueless ?_?

Dead Princess Sakana

I'll wait for Thaws to decide if this counts as solved or if he wants something more, but this is pretty much the answer, YES

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou did not notice the ball of darkness. With the fact that Shou did not know Rumia was in the ball of darkness at all, she was caught off guard when Rumia attacked her. She managed to defend herself in time by shielding herself with her arm holding the Pagoda. Rumia bumped into the arm, causing Shou to drop the Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
YES for the some parts. NO for the underlined.
My main concern here is that Shou did not exactly shield herself from Rumia bumping into her, and that the significant role of Rumia's darkness ability has not been discovered. I'll declare this case solved if either one of this is discovered. Is this alright?

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
From the facts I've gathered, what I conclude is that Shou somehow made an act of defense which does not involve physically shielding herself or dodging. Is that right?

For the darkness, did it overpower the light from the pagoda or did the pagoda's light overpower the darkness?

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
It seems I've got you thinking in the wrong direction.

From the facts I've gathered, what I conclude is that Shou somehow made an act of defense which does not involve physically shielding herself or dodging. Is that right?
NO, she wanted to shield herself from something physical, but if it wasn't Rumia herself, what can it be?

For the darkness, did it overpower the light from the pagoda or did the pagoda's light overpower the darkness?
UNKNOWN, althought it's stated that she tried to use the pagoda, she never did because she had already dropped it by then, most likely while entering the darkness or not long before entering the darkness.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:36:43 PM by Thaws »

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
I'm sorry if this was already asked but, was their anyone else involved in this Case besides Shou and Rumia, a 3rd person/youkai/whatever?

if Yes, did this 3rd person do something that Shou would try to block?

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
I'm sorry if this was already asked but, was their anyone else involved in this Case besides Shou and Rumia, a 3rd person/youkai/whatever?

if Yes, did this 3rd person do something that Shou would try to block?

No more than 2 people were involved.

NO, she wanted to shield herself from something physical, but if it wasn't Rumia herself, what can it be?

Unless it was a projectile of some sort, I can't think of any other thing that could be physical. Therefore, she could have only done the act of defense against Rumia, right?

Was this method of defense simple blocking? (I know I am repeating myself but I am pretty lost on this side of the case.)

UNKNOWN, althought it's stated that she tried to use the pagoda, she never did because she had already dropped it by then, most likely while entering the darkness or not long before entering the darkness.

Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia, who was in a ball of darkness was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou noticed it was getting pretty dark so she tried to use her Pagoda to light the area. Rumia attacked her just as soon as she was about to. This attack startled Shou, causing her to defend herself and in the process drop the Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
NO

Unless it was a projectile of some sort, I can't think of any other thing that could be physical. Therefore, she could have only done the act of defense against Rumia, right?
NO, Shou did not shield herself against Rumia herself.

Was this method of defense simple blocking? (I know I am repeating myself but I am pretty lost on this side of the case.)
YES, she dropped the pagoda while she tried to block something. As I said, once that "something" to be blocked is discovered, this case is solved.

Shou was flying over the lake, holding her Pagoda. Nearby, Rumia, who was in a ball of darkness was heading towards Shou with intention to attack her. Shou noticed it was getting pretty dark so she tried to use her Pagoda to light the area. Rumia attacked her just as soon as she was about to. This attack startled Shou, causing her to defend herself and in the process drop the Pagoda. She then dove into the lake below to get the Pagoda back.
NO. Assume the pagoda's light would not penetrate Rumia's darkness. The pagoda's light has nothing to do with the case. Also, assume it was really bright in the afternoon.

You're really close to the truth. What did the situation looked like to Shou? Why would Rumia's ability have a significant role in all of this? Shou wanted to block something physical, but what really was the thing that she's shielding from?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:51:22 PM by Thaws »