Author Topic: Patchy Quest Again: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 89149 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Re: Patchy Quest Again: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
> "Aah, you've... fixed it. What was, er, wrong with it?"
> Eye Sun and Yuka suspiciously.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »
> "Aah, you've... fixed it. What was, er, wrong with it?"
> Eye Sun and Yuka suspiciously.

>"Wasn't it obvious?" says Yuka. "It moved too far away every year about this time."
>Your vision has pretty much returned. Yuka is still grining, but she seems to have dropped her guard a bit.
>You look around your megaliths, and see that the Sun is still quite furiously fusing away. It seems rather worse than the flares Utsuho had used beforehand.

>_

Fightest

« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
> "I hate to say this, but that's rather the whole point. It's the flowers, right? Sun moves away, things get cold, it snows, flowers die? That's a necessity - if they were alive the whole year 'round, they'd drain the ground of nutrients and die eventually anyway. The earth needs time to recover."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
> "I hate to say this, but that's rather the whole point. It's the flowers, right? Sun moves away, things get cold, it snows, flowers die? That's a necessity - if they were alive the whole year 'round, they'd drain the ground of nutrients and die eventually anyway. The earth needs time to recover."

>"They pass on in good time," says Yuka. "They decay cycle continues, don't worry about that."

>_

Fightest

« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »
> "Then why bother with the Sun if decay's inevitable anyway? Don't tell me that you just don't like the cold."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
> "Then why bother with the Sun if decay's inevitable anyway? Don't tell me that you just don't like the cold."

>"Because some of them dying off in their own time is better than all of them dying off due to something outside of their control," says Yuka. "Next you'll wonder why Reimu bothers when the humans she saves are going to get old anyways."

>_

Fightest

« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »
> "The cycle of death and decay is outside the flowers' control as well, and you're just artificially extending their lifespan at the expense of future generations. Land that has been drained will not bear life for a long time, Yuka. You're damaging the flowers more now than if you hadn't interfered at all. Should I add that at this rate, Gensokyo will turn into a parched wasteland that will most certainly not bear flowers, no matter what you do?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
> "The cycle of death and decay is outside the flowers' control as well, and you're just artificially extending their lifespan at the expense of future generations. Land that has been drained will not bear life for a long time, Yuka. You're damaging the flowers more now than if you hadn't interfered at all. Should I add that at this rate, Gensokyo will turn into a parched wasteland that will most certainly not bear flowers, no matter what you do?"

>"I suppose if want to ignore that not only have I already dealt with that, but I also know more about flowers than you could ever hope to have the opportunity to learn," says Yuka, "you could argue that." She clicks her tongue.

>_

Fightest

« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
> Cross arms.
> "Oh? And how have you "dealt" with the "parched wasteland" problem, then?"

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
>Try to think about the surrealness of this situation without going batshit insane.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
> Facepalm at the actual reason of the heatwave.
> Stare Yuka down.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »
>Attempt to eat the sun.
>If you can't eat the sun, ask Yuka to help.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
>Walk around looking for a Sun Shard. If we're going to try to fix this, we'll probably have to make Yuka mad, so lets try to do anything else we need to do first~
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »
> Cross arms.
> "Oh? And how have you "dealt" with the "parched wasteland" problem, then?"

>"Summer doesn't cause deserts any more than winter causes tundras," says Yuka, clicking her tongue again, "I'm a little disappointed you haven't figured that out,"

>Try to think about the surrealness of this situation without going batshit insane.

>You didn't really anticipate squabbling with Yuka on the Sun when you woke up this morning, that's for sure. Then again, it's not the weirdest thing you've had to deal with...

> Facepalm at the actual reason of the heatwave.
> Stare Yuka down.

>You facepalm, then try to stare Yuka down. She chuckles. "Are you trying to intimidate me, wearing those silly glasses of yours?"

>Attempt to eat the sun.
>If you can't eat the sun, ask Yuka to help.

>You're still full from dinner at Yuyuko's. And quite frankly, the Sun being that angry would probably keep it from going down smoothly.
>She laughs again, then says, "I think the heat is getting to your brain. Perhaps it would be best if you left."

>Walk around looking for a Sun Shard. If we're going to try to fix this, we'll probably have to make Yuka mad, so lets try to do anything else we need to do first~

>You decide to do the exact opposite! You hear the distinct sound of a card slipping out behind you.
>Surveying the flower field, you can see pretty much any kind of flower you can imagine, all growing together in a huge, mixed mass. About the only flowers that seems to be in a distinct group are a thick patch of silvery ones ringing the Sun itself. There's a pretty high probability that, if there are any sun shards about, the flowers are covering them.

>_

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #284 on: December 23, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
>marvel at just how safe this was
>look back at Yuuka: if she just attacked, use Agni Shine!
>if safe:
1. "One summer doesn't bring a desert, and one winter doesn't bring a tundra - but when that summer or winter is eternal, then they might as well be."
2. "And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many flowers only die from the surface up when winter arrives? I'm pretty sure that many survive by their roots, and regrow in the spring."
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #285 on: December 23, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
>marvel at just how safe this was
>look back at Yuuka: if she just attacked, use Agni Shine!
>if safe:
1. "One summer doesn't bring a desert, and one winter doesn't bring a tundra - but when that summer or winter is eternal, then they might as well be."
2. "And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many flowers only die from the surface up when winter arrives? I'm pretty sure that many survive by their roots, and regrow in the spring."

>She hasn't attacked just yet, but she is just about ready to. You quietly ready Agni Shine, just in case.
>"No, I am pretty sure as long as a proper rain cycle continues, it'll be just fine," says Yuka. "And many humans would survive when a flash flood washes through their village, does this mean they shouldn't bother with a dam?"

>_

Fightest

« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »
> "Uh, Yuka, a proper rain cycle isn't going to continue. You mess up one part of the climate, the rest of it will come tumbling down like a house of cards. Oh, here's the best part - due to the climate being in such disarray, the natural propagation mechanisms that flowers use - pollenation and seed-dispersal - aren't going to occur any more, as no part of the cycle will act according to a long-established biological clock. Do you understand, Yuka? You may claim to know more about flowers than I could possibly comprehend, but the flowers themselves have been around longer than you have. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
> "Uh, Yuka, a proper rain cycle isn't going to continue. You mess up one part of the climate, the rest of it will come tumbling down like a house of cards. Oh, here's the best part - due to the climate being in such disarray, the natural propagation mechanisms that flowers use - pollenation and seed-dispersal - aren't going to occur any more, as no part of the cycle will act according to a long-established biological clock. Do you understand, Yuka? You may claim to know more about flowers than I could possibly comprehend, but the flowers themselves have been around longer than you have. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing."

>"Mmm, not really," says Yuka. "You've clearly not paid much attention to long summers where the growing cycle starts anew. Not terribly surprising for a shut-in like yourself, I suppose. Things will be just fine. Oh well, do have fun looking about."

>_

Fightest

« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
> "Yuka, I feel we may be misunderstanding each other. Your... "fixing" of the sun. What exactly did you do and change, and how long will it last?"

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
>Shes clearly too stubborn to yield, We're going to have to take her out if we want to fix this. Idiots will be idiots. Don't attack yet, in case the other voices want to try reasoning still. Its amusing.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:09 PM »
> "Yuka, I feel we may be misunderstanding each other. Your... "fixing" of the sun. What exactly did you do and change, and how long will it last?"

>"I've just warmed it up a bit," she says, "Enough to keep things nice and thriving during the winter. Then once it's closer again, we let it go back to normal. Nice and simple, don't you think?"

>Shes clearly too stubborn to yield, We're going to have to take her out if we want to fix this. Idiots will be idiots. Don't attack yet, in case the other voices want to try reasoning still. Its amusing.

>It does seem her heart's set upon this.

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #291 on: December 23, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »
>Um...but...what about Letty, among other things?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #292 on: December 23, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »
Don't attack yet, in case the other voices want to try reasoning still. Its amusing.
So, we're the voices Patchy hears in her head?  :V

>Wonder if we'd be able to beat Yuka. Since this would likely incinerate the flowers as soon as we use a Fire or Sun Sign spellcard, it would be much easier to find the Sun Shard as well~
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
Very likely, At this rate. ...I hope we atleast sound monotone.

>Sun and Fire would also make things hella hotter around here. We may put ourselves at risk. Don't you wish you had FIRE THAT WASN'T HOT? (Phogistic Rain)

Toasty

« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »
>You're not strong enough. Can you contact gensyoko? You could get the help of yukari - surely, she'd want the heat to die down so she could sleep.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »
>Or Reimu's help. I mean, its her job to solve things like this, and she's beaten Yuka before. Although, I'm not sure if she could warp all the way to the Sun, so Yukari would be more realistic, if we could somehow call her~

Toasty

« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
>We're also in space, where the moon is. While you try and contact yukari, wonder if you could get help from the moon. Shirely, the sun moving affected them as well.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »
> Put on Ran's Cap, it might give us some kind of link to Yukari, or it might even summon her to our location. 

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2009, 10:32:04 PM »
>Um...but...what about Letty, among other things?

>This is a correct thought, no winter means no Letty.

>Wonder if we'd be able to beat Yuka. Since this would likely incinerate the flowers as soon as we use a Fire or Sun Sign spellcard, it would be much easier to find the Sun Shard as well~

>Well, you are having a good day, and your spellcards are mostly ready to use. You don't know how burning the flowers would affect Yuka, aside from being an obvious declaration of war.

Very likely, At this rate. ...I hope we atleast sound monotone.

>Sun and Fire would also make things hella hotter around here. We may put ourselves at risk. Don't you wish you had FIRE THAT WASN'T HOT? (Phogistic Rain)

>This is also true. And if you start a fire, you have precious few places to run.

>You're not strong enough. Can you contact gensyoko? You could get the help of yukari - surely, she'd want the heat to die down so she could sleep.

>You don't think you have any immediate way to contact Gensokyo. And if you did, they have no immediate way to get up here. Yukari would definitely be interested in this, though. If you had a proper item connected to someone else, you might be able to make an ad-hoc version the spell that you used to talk with Marisa when she went underground...

>Or Reimu's help. I mean, its her job to solve things like this, and she's beaten Yuka before. Although, I'm not sure if she could warp all the way to the Sun, so Yukari would be more realistic, if we could somehow call her~

>If only you have bribed Reimu into going in your place...

>We're also in space, where the moon is. While you try and contact yukari, wonder if you could get help from the moon. Shirely, the sun moving affected them as well.

>The moon is like two weeks away; that's how long it took Remilia to get there.

> Put on Ran's Cap, it might give us some kind of link to Yukari, or it might even summon her to our location. 

>You slip Ran's cap over your own. You don't feel any immediate contact with Ran or Yukari.
>"What are you doing?" asks Yuka. Though her smile doesn't falter, she is watching you suspiciously again.

>_

Toasty

« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »
>Ask her how she got up here
>Ask her if she knows yukari
>We're on a floating island? Check for mimigas. And don't eat the red flowers.