Author Topic: The New Spellcard Help Thread  (Read 155392 times)

Re: The New Spellcard Help Thread
« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2010, 09:02:05 AM »
Read 'n dodge bro

You may be able to control the angle that the waves spawn by moving left or right of her, but this needs more testing. If anything it may help with getting the pellets and glow orbs to line up so that you get a nice lane to dodge in, instead of them grossly overlapping.

Well i made it do this once. I just don't have a clue how that happened.

Bananamatic

« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
The card is static (or at the very least, parts of it are; it's been a while for me), so memorize a way through it.
typical touhou :getdown:

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Haven't people noticed the safe line to sit in yet, slightly to the left of Byakuren at the bottom of the screen, where basically no bullets ever go in? Seriously, it looks even more apparent on Lunatic then it does on Hard. In that timeout video, you're hovering around inside that spot part of the time, although not really taking advantage of it fully; so the video is a good way to see where it is if you don't know already. 0:23~0:26 is the most obvious example, and the wave after that you should definitely see safe spot to sit in nearby where you were.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:51:17 PM by NeoSerela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
Subterranean Rose

I can't count.
Bumping it...

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

« Reply #934 on: June 20, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
typical touhou :getdown:

Typical Funen response, actually. I've never before seen somebody ship memorization so hard.

Bumping it...

Unfocus and slip through the waves when they're not exploding  :ohdear:

I usually try to go immediately after the bullets exploded so I have plenty of time to position myself afterwards. You can time it out without fear of any kind of super death wave, if you prefer.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #935 on: June 20, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »
Subterranean Rose

I can't count.

Yoslime gives some pretty good advice about this card.

I would watch the rest of it as well if you haven't already.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
Haven't people noticed the safe line to sit in yet, slightly to the left of Byakuren at the bottom of the screen, where basically no bullets ever go in? Seriously, it looks even more apparent on Lunatic then it does on Hard. In that timeout video, you're hovering around inside that spot part of the time, although not really taking advantage of it fully; so the video is a good way to see where it is if you don't know already. 0:23~0:26 is the most obvious example, and the wave after that you should definitely see safe spot to sit in nearby where you were.

Note: She's already moved over to the left. You should be able to tell by the way the last wave is fired; just drawn them all in to the point of casting.

tl;dr I'm only seeing half your argument working; that is the slightly to the left makes the diamond bullets line up near-perfectly in most cases (or only in cases where I don't get trapped).

Yoslime gives some pretty good advice about this card.

I would watch the rest of it as well if you haven't already.
Adding, at lower powers / weaker shots, you may have to do 1 "Leap of Faith" where you move through an additional set of rings during the second and third phases.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
Typical Funen response, actually. I've never before seen somebody ship memorization so hard.
He asked for advice, and I gave it. The card in question only happened to be a static card, for which memorization is the best method by definition. Anything wrong with helping someone?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #938 on: June 21, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »
Okay, this is the third time I've timed out "Genetics of the Subconscious"
I can't seem to get under her long enough and since the waves are freaking fast, I tend to run far away when they come...
Is there a path to end it quickly? or should i just keep circling around the screen for 99 brutal seconds?

Philosophy - I'm stumped at the 2nd phase. 1st phase is easy, and for the 3rd phase I just move to bottom right corner, moving top left to stay in the square and bomb when I'm trapped.

Subterranean Rose - somehow I really like to clip the ring, even in the first phase :V
Also, if I want to time it out, should I do it in 1st or 2nd phase?

On the bright side, I seem to have figured out everything before genetics.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:06:07 AM by jsonchiu »

omgrandomnumbers

• ( Very Slowly) Rising Star
  • Physically unable to take it easy
« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
Biorhythms is aimed. I can reliably misdirect the first wave, but my constant movement to fit through the only gaps in sight causes Hina to aim a completely ridiculous wave at me. Is there a way to reliably do this? I am especially thick (thanks Baity).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:22:07 AM by omgrandomnumbers »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #940 on: June 22, 2010, 02:07:43 AM »
Hm, I thought it was answered satisfactorily before. Turns out it wasn't. 5 minutes theorycraft.

Dodge from the position shown.
<>

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #941 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:10 AM »
Unfocus and slip through the waves when they're not exploding  :ohdear:
Quote from: Jaimers link=topic=4151.msg367680#msg367680   date=1277072140
Yoslime gives some pretty good   advice about this card.

I would watch the rest of it as well   if you haven't already.
I love you two so much right now

And I saw that video (two months ago haha old chap) but I forgot the guy's name

« Reply #942 on: June 22, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »
Does anyone have some advice on MoF stage 2 midboss biorhythm of the apotropaic god, I always had trouble with this even on normal when I started playing, it feels pretty hard to fit through several gaps at the same time. Also, is Hina's second card completely random? Some waves a wall of fire bullets come at you and other waves it really easy to slip through.

edit: Haha, and you've just discussed it on the same page. I used search before posting and it didn't show anything relevant at all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:26:50 PM by 633IDK »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #943 on: June 22, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
Terrifying Hypnotism WHY AM I SO BAD AT IT

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Bananamatic

« Reply #944 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
1) the spinning shows where the bubbles go
2) there is a path between the bullets you can tap through in one direction

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #945 on: June 22, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
The bullet hitbox is smaller than what you think. (Especially if you're Raymoo)

Don't move too much. Stand still and only minimal movement (To dodge the laser and some yellow spam) and BAM you survive the first wave. Just two (or three) more.

If you graze Satori's laser closely, you don't have to worry about the bubbles hitting you.

« Reply #946 on: June 22, 2010, 07:40:46 PM »
Yeah, I'm terrible at Terrifying Hypnotism, too. I think it's something about the spinning lasers messing with my perception of the yellow bullets, which ought to be really easy to dodge otherwise. I often suck at patterns that involve elements crossing back and forth over each other, somehow.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #947 on: June 22, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
I can't do it on lunatic either.
Somehow I'm so scared that the laser might activate on me when I'm not noticing.
Maybe it's because of bad memories of being shot by Kogasa's lasers in UFO extra. > <

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm terrible at Terrifying Hypnotism, too. I think it's something about the spinning lasers messing with my perception of the yellow bullets, which ought to be really easy to dodge otherwise. I often suck at patterns that involve elements crossing back and forth over each other, somehow.
Yeah, the bubbles are there to intimidate you. If you stay close to the laser, you can just ignore the bubbles completely and just focus on the yellow spam. (And you collect a ton of graze, so it's a good card to timeout.)

I'll be uploading replay later. This is most apparent in Lunatic.

« Reply #949 on: June 22, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
Timing it out will make you consistent on it. But I suck at it now since its been too long since I last went against it.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
<>

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »
Omoikane's Brain.

Nothing will ever change my mind that this is a retarded card that is a retarded idea and is the worst spell card ever, but I could at least learn to capture it. Is there a way to make the counter-clockwise turn less...impossible?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9241

Let's see... that would depend on where you're getting hit when swinging around. I counted 4 possible instances where a collision can occur with moderate-to-high frequency (i.e. I felt pressured). That said, my actual knowledge on this card is unfortunately, limited. However, let's try to analyze as much of the relevant stuff as needed.

• The laser "walls" are static, obviously. So are the bullets fired from the familiar. It is also technically a safespot, but good luck trying to trace such a complex figure with only 8 directions of input.
  • The other "walls" of bullets are aimed in a fixed manner, but are shot at varying times; this depends on where the spray is aimed at the start. Hence the bullets don't have full transparency. For our purposes, these "walls" are not static, though the gaps are static in nature.

Now, I've gone off and marked a few general areas. The yellow ones designate the area which I would (normally) move in. The aqua is when I did my timeout. As I was saying before, there are multiple instances where taking a hit is most likely going to occur:

• Touching the laser wall; this occurs mostly when you use the "inner route" like I do and you press up for too long (or something). Other instances of touching would include having a mind blank or backtracking. WIth regard to moving CCW, this occurs with the MIND GAMES involved when there are other bullets on-screen.
  • Using the "outer route" (that is, the gaps that are a little bit more distal from the center); self-explanatory as you need to make more extreme movements across, though you do technically have more room to move around (it's a trade-off of space for degree of movement in layman's terms).
  • Moving left / right across the gaps improperly; this is where most of the errors would occur I would imagine. For best results when moving across the screen, do not backtrack your movements. I also recommend avoiding diagonal inputs (especially diagonally upward ones) as the probability of a "miscalculation" when moving in such a manner is much higher when compared to a basic left / right movement, thereby leading to a collision with a bullet on the "wall", or better known by various players as a "clipdeath".
  • Moving back down after left / right; hurrrrrr uh, being on the "outer route", even if only for a moment, is definitely safer when moving down due to the way the familiar moves at that point in time.

...just in case, if you're touching the walls / lasers when moving up the screen, I recommend not using diagonal input. Depending on how well you want to manipulate your movement, going as high as 5:1 up:across is possible, but obviously requires more tapping for precision. Mathematically speaking the absolute gradient of the lines making up the sector are 5 and 4; so assuming that your inputs are perfectly equal, you will want to be hitting some number in between there on a ratio compared to 1. It is however, generally better to make less inputs so aiming for a smaller number of inputs (despite being uneven in terms of how long the button is depressed) is better if you follow this, as a reference I (try to) use a 5:2 ratio.

On that note, This is a p quick killing method with your beloved Border Team. Just pointing it out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:42:11 PM by Baitikkuri »
<>

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #953 on: June 23, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
Huh, daunted by that long reading, I opened up spell practice instead and figured out my problem: I have grossly underestimated the amount of time I have before those lasers get me. I can now capture the attack semi-consistently. Thanks Baity!

Still a retarded attack though.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
Mind if I ask about a non-canon spellcard?

MoF Phantasm, Momiji's Peerless Wind God ripoff. Are the extra lasers static or is just godlike reading skills?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #955 on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
I don't think they are static. Somehow they tend to corner me.
Besides, you still need to read the ARRGH bullets anyways.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #956 on: June 24, 2010, 03:01:43 AM »
Mind if I ask about a non-canon spellcard?

MoF Phantasm, Momiji's Peerless Wind God ripoff. Are the extra lasers static or is just godlike reading skills?
Wait.
You can get to Momiji?
My copy just stops at Aya...

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
Satori and Koishi (DS) and UFO Extra
« Reply #957 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
I have no idea how you're supposed to do them, except for a part of Koishi's where you don't move.

Also, UFO Extra.
Are there any tricks I can use to my advantage, or is it all reading?
Here's a replay.

[matsuri]This should be in the Spellcard Help thread, instead of making a new one.[/matsuri]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:06:26 AM by Matsuri♥Sakuragi »

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Re: Satori and Koishi (DS) and UFO Extra
« Reply #958 on: June 24, 2010, 04:21:46 AM »
Also, UFO Extra.
Are there any tricks I can use to my advantage, or is it all reading?
Here's a replay.

oh god the ufo route

Red UFO... Stay on the side more. You'll have plenty of time to shoot Nue after you make a hole.

I panic ten thousand times on the survival, though, and I end up with 1.5 lives because I lost track of reds and greens.

Kogasa... First card... Can't help much. Second card... That's my strategy. It might not work for you. Third card... Try moving in the same direction as the lasers - as they're about to stop. That usually helps stay underneath Kogasa.

Edit: Derp, I forgot the replay link.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:31:32 AM by Fox Fanatic »

« Reply #959 on: June 24, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
IN 4B Lunatic: How are you supposed to do Event Horizon? I can capture it roughly half the time hugging the bottom, but the bullets can get obscured very easily there by the familiars and I die very stupidly... or I can go near Marisa and circle around her, with a high risk of running into a newly spawned star. Neither really feels right, and I'm not seeing what I'm doing wrong from replays... Thanks :)