Author Topic: Spellcard Help Topic  (Read 160202 times)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
And to which I say...
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2009, 03:25:25 AM »
Double post because I'm pissed.

See for yourself.
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3491

"Life Spring Infinity". I mess up at the end, and think that in the last second, I'm perfect safe.

Either way, the familiar (and hence, the lasers, and stars) can all be directed in such a manner, that they all become uniform.

The tip? Stay under Kaguya. Don't worry about the lasers spawning, but worry about the lasers disappearing. They take an exceedingly large amount of time to start up, and have (not as much, but still there) a rather mild delay time (in which they "disappear"). The stars I trust you know how to do. It's a matter of reading for gaps.

...excuse me while I go drink some coffee to calm myself down.

EDIT: 1 month old grammar bashing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:59:20 PM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Spellcard Help Topic
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:46 AM »
Working on extra stage for MoF. did the final boss 6 times or so now. I just can't seem to be able to do Iron ring well, any advice? That stupid spell with the big long bullets and the 5 multicolored lasers is a pain too. not much advice there just need to not screw up...dunno why it's so hard for me. (alot of hte time I think I'm safe when wham I'm dead and I'm like wtf).

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2009, 03:55:56 AM »
Working on extra stage for MoF. did the final boss 6 times or so now. I just can't seem to be able to do Iron ring well, any advice? That stupid spell with the big long bullets and the 5 multicolored lasers is a pain too. not much advice there just need to not screw up...dunno why it's so hard for me. (alot of hte time I think I'm safe when wham I'm dead and I'm like wtf).
Moriya's Iron Ring:  Stay beneath Suwako as long as you can, then dash out to the right and straight up, minimizing how far you move right, and move over left so you end up above her.  When she fires the last ring, move down again and fire.  Repeat, alternating directions that you dodge.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:23 AM »
Moriya's Iron Ring:  Stay beneath Suwako as long as you can, then dash out to the right and straight up, minimizing how far you move right, and move over left so you end up above her.  When she fires the last ring, move down again and fire.  Repeat, alternating directions that you dodge.

hmm interesting. I'll have to try t hat next time. I beat her t hough now yay. will post replay in accomlishment forums. I'm suprised I beat her so quickly though (prob 2-3 hours of trying), she really takes advantage of what i'm weak at. (very very minute fine movement).

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2009, 04:40:10 AM »
Hm, maybe that's why MoF is my first extra clear. My advantage is in micrododging.

As for the spell with the lasers, all it is is dodging. Make sure you know exactly when the spell is coming so you don't get a face full of laser before it even starts. Then just dodge through the bullets, staying in the middle. It's a very easy spell, and should be trivial.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »
Hm, maybe that's why MoF is my first extra clear. My advantage is in micrododging.

As for the spell with the lasers, all it is is dodging. Make sure you know exactly when the spell is coming so you don't get a face full of laser before it even starts. Then just dodge through the bullets, staying in the middle. It's a very easy spell, and should be trivial.

yeah I discovered it's really easy if I hug the bottom like a noob instead of try and be open.

Drake

Re: And to which I say...
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »
See for yourself.
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3491
Oh, well.

This is much easier than I originally thought.

Easier, but I still suck at dodging the stars. I can't force myself to dodge sideways, and I always, always run downwards into an inflexing pattern instead of going up or just staying there. History today is 8/50, which is pretty mediocre.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:38:06 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: And to which I say...
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »
Easier, but I still suck at dodging the stars. I can't force myself to dodge sideways, and I always, always run downwards into an inflexing pattern instead of going up or just staying there. History today is 8/50, which is pretty mediocre.
The stars is just a matter of finding place where the gaps open up. Placing yourself between the lasers that don't block your route to the top of the screen helps. If an opening doesn't become apparent immediately, then back up the screen slowly until a gap appears, move through it, and quickly position yourself under Kaguya again.

Also, I forgot to add that every time Kaguya fires the familiar (+2 broken rings), she will always move towards you in terms of the horizontal direction. Never directly vertically. She can and will move diagonally and horizontally though. So it is safe standing directly underneath (center of sprite as well, for directing purposes).

[Further, I can never seem to capture the Spell Card at a ridiculous rate without using either Yukari, Youmu, Remilia, or Yuyuko. ~75% for these characters; ~30-5% for the others]

---

Capture history today (which also, I unlocked it for Spell Practice today) is ~50/130, if you exclude all the attempted timeouts. Across all characters and teams.

EDIT: for the sake of placeholding, it looks like I can upload! However, I do have to swap to Internet Explorer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:50:05 AM by BaitySM »
<>

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
I hate these kinds of cards, that require you to know exactly how the card works to the last detail, and be familiar with it in order to even stand a chance at getting through it.

It completely restricts your freedom of dodging, which isn't very fun at all.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »
I hate these kinds of cards, that require you to know exactly how the card works to the last detail, and be familiar with it in order to even stand a chance at getting through it.

this is not true at all , dodging is dodging if u have it u can still do it.
i have that card on lunatic 3/8 and thats becuase i wasnt very calm at some of the tries or didnt even wanted to risk...(reaching that spell with 1 life and 1-2 bomb  on lunatic is not a bet u can take...)

but having face a card some times u know what to expect.
experience is also important.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »

It's basically streaming in a different form. I've also noted that if you can keep a rhythm going (center-right, center-left, etc.), then the stars will create gaps at (around?) the same time, each time.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3507

...I'm going to download a Japanese scoring replay to see if they actually worked this out.

Mm... that's interesting. They don't have it down like I do. Their reading skills are superb though. As expected of course.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:06:59 PM by BaitySM »
<>

Nuclear Fusion

• Powered by fury
  • I AM ALWAYS ANGRY
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2009, 04:06:30 AM »
Um, can I get a little help with Rin Hard? Her last card is killing me, and her second and third non-spell cards are even worse.
If anybody has a good anger quote, let me know and it'll be the new sig

Drake

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2009, 04:23:59 AM »
Her second is easy. Stay in the middle of the screen, inside the spiral thing. Don't shoot the familiars. When they explode, move upwards. They're all aimed, so everything should miss unless you hit the spiral by accident.

Her third is dodging. Just dodge it. There's a pattern, but nobody cares.

Her last card... Stay at the bottom until the fairies pop up, then shotgun Rin for a while until it gets too heated. Circle around and dodge stuff, end up back underneath Rin and try to get her before the fairies wall you off. Every second counts as the health bar is super short.

Nuclear Fusion

• Powered by fury
  • I AM ALWAYS ANGRY
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
Her last card... Stay at the bottom until the fairies pop up, then shotgun Rin for a while until it gets too heated. Circle around and dodge stuff, end up back underneath Rin and try to get her before the fairies wall you off. Every second counts as the health bar is super short.

I'm getting assaulted with impenetrable walls of red bubbles when I try this.

The second non-card still wallops me. Sometimes I can get it and sometimes I can't.

And I think I'm close to figuring out the patter for the third non-card. Seems like standing still for a while dodges msot of it, then a quick tap to the left dodges the next part.
If anybody has a good anger quote, let me know and it'll be the new sig

Drake

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
Yupyup. I'll replay in a sec. Nevermind I can't play worth a thing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:51:24 PM by Drake »

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »
Knowing that Kaguya won't bump you is very reassuring. I already have timed out Life Spring Infinity twice. Thanks.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2009, 05:54:22 AM »
I'm SOOO close to 1ccing lunatic esod. whyyy..

anyway I was wanting advice on the following spellcards. If I can improve on just 1 of them my chances of 1ccing will prob triple, cuz I'm consistently getting killed on the very last card.

Colorful light chaos dance:
I find this one has 2 different "modes" so to speak. It always involves her shooting bullets in a circle of sorts. but then she fires random-ish bullets as well.
the HARD one (for me) is when the randomish ones curve around and down. like right then diagonal down left, with some going left, then diagonal down right. Seems like I can't pick a single "hole" in the circle to go thru without being completely walled in by the diagonal bullets.

Then there is the easy version, where there are only a few of those diagonal bullets, but instead the circular bullets seem to go thru the bottom of the screen, and re-appear back up top. Kinda like the medium-only spellcard remila has scarlet underworld. I can always cap this card when those bullets appear, but otherwise I pick a hole in the circle based on which is under hong (so I can still shoot her), and find myself having to bomb.

stage 4 midboss: I can beat her without bombing sometimes, but sometimes it just seems like the gap between the large bullets is loaded with those kunai things. is there a trick to avoiding this or is it just luck?

stage 5 noncards: I can do this about 50/50 each one. But I'm just wondering if there are any tricks. It seems to me that staying as high as possible is ideal cuz the spread bullets are less dense up high, but every time I've tried it, I get owned. Is it just coincidence? please let me know if I should continue to try staying up top.

Scarlet meister: I've given up trying to cap this for now. However I've watched a 1cc video of someone bombing right off the bat, and managing to defeat this card before invincibility wore off... As MarissaA.. I just can't seem to do this, every time I try she gets in one last wave, possibly 2 still.

Scarlet gensokyo: I can do this on practice mode with 3 bombs, or a life and 2 bombs or something. Yet for real I can't even take her down 1/4 without dying twice. Seems for real that she always seems to do the double-ammo shot immediately after I bomb or die. Cluttering the whole screen with them bullets again (which I can quasi-dodge..but I'm not good enough to dodge and stay under her if she decides to move until the extra-dense bullet wave is gone...which is normally just before she just refreshes it). But on practice mode, I can bomb, and she wont do a double dense wave until 2 normal waves or so after the bomb. I generally bomb immediately after the said double dense wave, and she just refreshes it as soon as she loses bat form in normal mode, but not practice.. wtf? Anybody know the timing required for a bomb that will maximize the amount of time I can damage her before another double-ammo shot?

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »
i am not good at explaining things
but for stage 4 midboss learn the hitbox of the big bullets u can go inside their edge pretty easy.

colorfull light chaos dance:
maybe it has to do with the rank dunno...

Time Traveler

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
Sorry for replying to the first page, but it really just fills me with rage when people say to go above Flandre during Lavaewhatever. It's really not that hard to just dodge between the bullets, and going above her makes it completely trivial and is just plain cheating the game.

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
Okay everyone. I have been playing the Extra Stage in MoF three times lately. All of them being 2LC's and i spot a reoccuring mistake in all of my runs.

I fail at three spellcards consistently and its obvious that these spellcards are trick-based so i'll kindly request some assistance from those who knows what i'm supposed to be doing in stead of flying aimlessly around.

1: Spring Sign "Jade of the Horrid River".
2: Native God "The Red Frog in the Fourth Year of the Houei Era"
3: "Suwa War - Native Myth vs Central Myth"

Aside from those there is only spellcard that can be potentially threatening to me and that's just pure dodging. I'll mention it anyway in case anyone can provide some alternate way of tackling it. Native God "Froggy Braves the Elements". Where would be the best place to dodge? In the middle, top or bottom?

Sorry for replying to the first page, but it really just fills me with rage when people say to go above Flandre during Lavaewhatever. It's really not that hard to just dodge between the bullets, and going above her makes it completely trivial and is just plain cheating the game.

I think that's the way you are supposed to go about it. If you want to do it the other way, you just do that. I know for sure i'll stick to my way. It works everytime and i know i don't want to die to Lavatain just to make it harder. Do what you want.

Time Traveler

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »
I think that's the way you are supposed to go about it. If you want to do it the other way, you just do that. I know for sure i'll stick to my way. It works everytime and i know i don't want to die to Lavatain just to make it harder. Do what you want.
You can do whatever you want, I won't stop you. I was just saying that it's definitely possible to beat that spellcard without going over Flandre. I actually timed out that card without using the cheat, so for anyone who wants to see how to do it the "correct" way, here's a replay file:
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3605

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
PCB Extra. I use ReimuA, and I'm not using anybody else for now.

Chen's spells first.

Blue Oni Red Oni. I can capture it sometimes, but I'd like to pass it consistently without bombing. I usually shotgun Chen and try to always stay under her. I sometimes try going side-to-side, but I often lack space. I always feel like my run is wasted when I die to this.

Soaring Guardian God : I suck so much at this. I captured it once in 20+ tries. Is it easier to cross through the lines of bullets she leaves behind, or stay in the corner waiting for them to come? I'm often too slow and bump into Chen when trying the former.

Ran's spells were pretty much covered (I concluded Siege from all Sides and Unilateral Contract is just total bullshit for my skill level), but :

Twelve Guardian Gods (or whatever her second spell is called) : Is it easier to dodge in the corners or in the center? How do you dodge in the center? I always dodge in the bottom right corner. I know this is easy, but I often fail it for all kinds of reasons (like trying to get back in the center too early).
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »
Okay everyone. I have been playing the Extra Stage in MoF three times lately. All of them being 2LC's and i spot a reoccuring mistake in all of my runs.

I fail at three spellcards consistently and its obvious that these spellcards are trick-based so i'll kindly request some assistance from those who knows what i'm supposed to be doing in stead of flying aimlessly around.

Aside from those there is only spellcard that can be potentially threatening to me and that's just pure dodging. I'll mention it anyway in case anyone can provide some alternate way of tackling it. Native God "Froggy Braves the Elements". Where would be the best place to dodge? In the middle, top or bottom?

You can check out my extra run on MoF. I think it'll be helpful cuz if a noob like me can do it. so can you >=P.. Well I fail hard at 3 of the moves you mentioned, but I can do the jade river one pretty consistently, I double checked my clear and it did indeed spellcap jade river yay.
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3497

If you don't wanna watch. I typically start like 3/4 of the way down the screen, and try to be in the middle of t he "river". Don't really move until as long as safely possible until you can squeeze thru the top (the longer you wait  the less bullets you have to dodge later.

Then I wait up top (this is the only hard part imo, because running into the boss' toenail will kill you. So don't get to close to her), move down with the bullets in the 2nd river (you're always inside the "river" btw), obviously dodging the ones flying up from the previous one (I find to be the only hard part since you have to avoid the boss too).

The key is to fly down a bit SLOWER than the bullets in the 2nd river start shooting at you. If done properly the very last ones at the bottom will shoot towards you as you're still above somewhat, allowing you to then fly straight down to the bottom right under them (and every other moving bullet on screen).

Then you just repeat the first step, only it tends to be easier because I find future rivers aren't centered right on the damn boss.

If you watch the rest of my video you'll see how bad...BAAAD I suck at 2: Native God "The Red Frog in the Fourth Year of the Houei Era and laugh at me >=P.

Heartbeam

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »
Oni Sign "Blue Oni Red Oni"

I see going side-to-side as one of the best methods.  There may a little crowding at times but it's probably better than streaming up and down.  Keep making small taps over to deal with the aimed bullets while you concentrate on figuring out the best way to handle whatever bullet mass is present in your direction.

Oni God "Soaring Guardian God"

I would say the former is easier.  The spell is also static so, well...yes, that is all.  And when she makes her sweep across the bottom of the screen for the first time there is a safe zone in the bottom left corner.

Shikigami "Banquet of 12 General Gods"

The center looks too clustered to begin with until a little later, and until then you're waiting on the side so you may as well stay there.  It looks like you don't need corner dodging advice but I'll share my thoughts just in case.  So it's pretty much being on the lookout for the teal arrowheads and never staying in the same horizontal position too long because of the aimed butterfly waves.  Well, that may have been too obvious but the butterflies used to be another obstacle for me to worry about until I realized that so I could then focus on just the teal bullets, and knowing the butterfly bullets can be predicted.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2009, 01:23:43 AM »
Native God "Froggy Braves the Elements"
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=3611 (this replay is somewhat old in terms of date completed)

Spring Sign "Jade of the Horrid River"

A matter of proper misdirection / streaming with precise timing. It's hard to explain how to do it in words. However, the same movements can be done each time to capture it. There are several methods to do each wave. The only proper difference in them is where they start. The two "methods" that I use are:

-Starting close to the top, and slowly move "down the stream"
-Start at the bottom, wait for a while (the longer, the better, but watch for the gap actually closing) then dash through the gap, and stream the rest of the bullets away in preparation of the next wave.

Native God "The Red Frog in the Fourth Year of the Houei Era"

A standard survival Spell Card which involves streaming. Don't compress the lines too close together, don't make unnecessary movements, don't get stuck on the sides (or top / bottom) of the screen. I nearly lose it at the end, but that's because I know it was going to end. The 2nd 3rd Suwako can be a problem, so make sure that you "stream" her into rhythm along with the original.

"Suwa War - Native Myth vs Central Myth"

Difficult. If you can make it to the last 10 seconds or so, then you should be fine. When streaming the aimed er... balls, try to avoid moving in 2 axes. If you need to do this, then move further than you "need" to, otherwise the balls will clip you. For the last 10 seconds, start at the top-center of the screen and stream downwards.

Native God "Froggy Braves the Elements"

Being at the bottom makes it difficult to dodge through the waves. Try to be about 1/3 up the screen.

Watch the replay for (some) further details. Kefit's one is also good.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:33:30 AM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »

Shikigami "Banquet of 12 General Gods"

aimed butterfly waves.

Cool, I didn't know that. The butterflies are by far the hardest bullets to see in that spell, so if I can just nudge then forget about them, this spellcard should become oh-so-much easier.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
EoSD:

Colorful Sign "Colorful Light Chaotic Dance" - This one is actually really simple. Just dodge the main chunk of diagonal bullets, and go as far to the side as you need to. Then just get back under her. When she shoots the second wave of diagonal bullets, repeat.

Stage 4 midboss - You actually don't have to move too much to the side. Other than that, there's really no trick. Before the bullets reach you, quickly judge to see where the best place to dodge is, avoiding walls of bullets.

Stage 5 nonspells - This is all a matter of reading the bullets WAY before they reach you. Look at their general direction and move out of the way before they can get near you. That way you won't get trapped as often. Be careful not to clipdeath and you probably won't need a lot of focused movement for some of these.

Not gonna comment on Scarlet Meister and Scarlet Gensokyo because I'm not that great with them.

As for Lavaietehinewr (goddamn I can never spell this) in Extra, I sorta agree with Time Traveler. But, I do understand that some people just want to get through the stage. However, if you are comfortable with Extra you really should dodge it the right way.

MoF:

Spring Sign "Jade of the Horrid River" - I hate this card.

Native God "The Red Frog in the Fourth Year of the Houei Era" - Some people plan it out, but here's how I do it. Obviously, I do the zig-zag thing to minimize her movement, and when the next Suwakos appear, I try to place myself in line with them, so the zig-zag can continue. However, one of the most important things to remember is not to freak. If you flail around, the Suwakos will fly everywhere and you might have to bomb more than once.

"Suwa War - Native Myth vs Central Myth" - Yeeeeaah, this card is a bit annoying. It'd be a lot more fun if it was more dodging than planning. On the second to last wave, as you're sweeping across the field sideways to avoid the homing suns, get to the top center of the screen as fast as possible. Stay up there as long as you can, and keep moving downward as slowly as possible, dodging any debris in your way. This way, you can minimize the amount of bullets you dodge, and since you're moving downward, the homing suns won't even pose a threat. Just cross your fingers and hope you hang on in the last seconds.

Native God "Froggy Braves the Elements" - Pure dodging, no other way to do it. Stay about a little under the center or a third up, and dodge the rain. Whenever you see an opening, get through the lines of bubbles, and continue dodging the rain until you find another opening. If you do that you'll probably very rarely get trapped between the rain and bubbles.

PCB:

Oni Sign "Blue Oni Red Oni" - I suppose if you have enough power you can start at the top and stream downward, but I don't know how well that works. Otherwise, you really have no choice but to stream sideways. Be a little more conservative in your movement, and minimize vertical movements, as they might cause the homing bullets to accidentally cross your path.

Oni God "Soaring Guardian God" - Oh god do not stay in a corner. It's extremely difficult to dodge the bullets in the corner because not only are the gaps really small, Chen might layer more bullets on top of you when you least expect it, probably walling you off. And if that isn't bad enough, you need to have a quick reaction time. Your best bet is probably to try and get to an open spot as soon as possible, and just completely get out of the way of all the bullets, only dodging through the streams again when Chen changes direction and you have no choice.

Shikigami "Banquet of 12 General Gods" - Bottom right, not really any other way to do it unless you're godly at dodging. Watch out for the homing bullets.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »

Oni God "Soaring Guardian God" actually there is a litle trick in this one that i learned from heartbeat
stay exactly down from her a bit to the left and hit her when she will do that cross change go to the left corner everything will miss u.
It works 100% all the time.

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Insert Baity's wall of advice here.

I'll take that into consideration. If could just get those cards down i might even go for a perfect clear of the stage. As for Suwa War. Getting to the last 10 seconds is easy enough. I just don't know what to do then. I'll try watch Kefit's replay and see if i can learn something from that.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
Kogasa's second spell, this rain card.

I have NEVER played a spell card on second (!) stage being so frustating...