Author Topic: Touhou ParseeRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE Thread Part 4  (Read 129530 times)

Re: Touhou ParseeRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE Thread Part 4
« Reply #960 on: December 19, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
Um... Wait, it's actually necessary to do that? =/ If I'm remembering correctly, it was rather easy to do anyway... Or does it become a lot worse at max rank?

High-level shmup play is all about removing as much fun from the game as possible.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #961 on: December 19, 2009, 10:54:43 PM »
High-level shmup play is all about removing as much fun from the game as possible.
godalfriggin'mighty why is this SO GODDAMN TRUE

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #962 on: December 19, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Best extra stage attempt ruined at illusion

died 3 times

with 4 bombs

fkdkdsjsklfsFUCKdasds

EDIT: GODAMNIT

I found out I can consistently get to Ran with over three lives
I found out I can't ever capture the illusion card
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:17:34 PM by Chen the Formless God Worshipper »
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

theshirn

« Reply #963 on: December 20, 2009, 12:20:13 AM »
Progress!  RAGE, but progress!

Game Over on Scarlet Meister.

I need another two lives, in other words.  I did pull off some awesome stuff that I usually screw up, like getting to the books before dying on Stage 4 with no bombs, and capping the post-midboss S5 spam (which despite being fairly easy, since two of the bullet types are aimed around you, I still screw up an appalling percentage of the time), and capping Illusional Misdirection, which I'm very good at screwing up.  I only died with one bomb in stock, and only twice.

Yyyyyyeah, 1cc is a ways off yet.  Also, I think I may have beaten Cirno at her own game, because if I can get her opener that simply, I may just break something.

EDIT:  It seems the first wave of the first part of her opener is much denser, but I usually misdirect that one anyway, so...yes, it seems that Cirno's opener just went from one of the most threatening noncards on Lunatic to...nothing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:25:21 AM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Bananamatic

« Reply #964 on: December 20, 2009, 12:23:19 AM »
Progress!  RAGE, but progress!

Game Over on Scarlet Meister.

I need another two lives, in other words.

Yyyyyyeah, 1cc is a ways off yet.  Also, I think I may have beaten Cirno at her own game, because if I can get her opener that simply, I may just break something.
Still attempting EoSD Lunatic?
I would get it this run, but I've:
1) Died on Cirno with 2 bombs
2) Died on Meiling with 3 bombs
3) Used 3 bombs on Scarlet Meister. Don't try to dodge, SHOTGUN, BOMB, REPEAT.

Oh well, getting close. Scarlet Gensokyo is a dick though.

theshirn

« Reply #965 on: December 20, 2009, 12:26:11 AM »
Post edited.

And yeah, I need two more lives just for Meister and Gensokyo alone.  Seriously, those things are BRUTAL.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #966 on: December 20, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
So I'm attempting a MoF Hard 1cc. I get up to Aya's last spell with two extra lives left. Not only do I die twice, and not only do I lose the second life at the last second, all of my Power items end up disappearing, so I enter Stage 5 with no Power.

I ragequit right then and there.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #967 on: December 20, 2009, 12:49:09 AM »
s;dlkfj;alkdjf;lkadfsvjkl;dsfjv

I just had two one death no bomb Yuyuko fights IN A ROW. The deaths in each run were to LOST SOUL'S VILLAGE and Sumizome respectively. See, this is the fourth time I've nearly perfected Yuyuko, so it's stopped being funny.

But I know that even if I do it, some snide person will go "now perfect the stage portion too" and make me want to drain the blood from their body.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #968 on: December 20, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »
See, this is the fourth time I've nearly perfected Yuyuko, so it's stopped being funny.

Join the club. I've nearly perfected LLS extra 8 times.
That joke stopped being funny around the second time.

Oh, and Hanged Hourai Dolls just ruined a perfect stage 3 for the fourth time.

theshirn

« Reply #969 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:58 AM »
Glitchy Mystical Chain is glitchy.

Kaguya and Mokou were just standing there and all the gems lying on the ground when I beat them.  Nothing happened.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #970 on: December 20, 2009, 05:29:50 AM »
Also discovered something usefull: Gengetu's final phase is completely static based on rank. This means that you can just memorize a path through.

Spoiler:
Holy shit I'm turning into Baity.
I should release some notes here. With the several hours of testing savestate abusing that I did before I uploaded that video, I could safely conclude that "GRT" is not static.

...Rank has also shown to affect the attack itself though.

Note: If you're testing with a savestate at the start (or somewhere close) of "GRT", then the attack will "unfold" the same way every time because the RNG is repeating itself. How else did you expect me to actually survive the attacks in the video with minimal resource usage (with the obvious exception)?

Join the club. I've nearly perfected LLS extra 8 times.
That joke stopped being funny around the second time.
I see this and raise 15 failed attempts :V

Argh, you people are bringing my bad memories back.

Ah, I should make the announcement here that I've essentially given up trying to perfect all Extra stages. The reason being that it's far too luck-based at one section, coupled with memorization everywhere else, making things pretty boring.
Spoiler:
Though, I will still go through with SoEW Extra because it's more random though

Glitchy Mystical Chain is glitchy.

Kaguya and Mokou were just standing there and all the gems lying on the ground when I beat them.  Nothing happened.
That sometimes happens.

Sometimes you get "awesome" bugs though.
Spoiler:
Like 1 HP Remi/Flan Final SC
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

theshirn

« Reply #971 on: December 20, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »
[02:08]   <theshim|LLS>   you know
[02:08]   <theshim|LLS>   I'd settle for being a worse player if I was at least consistent
[02:08]   <theshim|LLS>   I get up to Scarlet Meister and die multiple times on LLS S1 Normal in the same day
[02:09]   <theshim|LLS>   I die multiple times to Gengetu's first two phases, but capture her final
[02:09]   <theshim|LLS>   it is REALLY annyoing

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #972 on: December 20, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
UFO Normal. Reach Murasa with not that far from max lives AND bombs. It goes downhill from there. Way down... But then I still manage to reach Byakuren with like five lives, still quite a few bombs... Huh, whattya know, it can go further downhill. There's a cliff at the bottom. Game over when I overestimate the width of the safe area on Devil's Recitation.

...*SPLAT*

Jaimers

« Reply #973 on: December 20, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »
Died while Patchouli was exploding.

That was almost a no-death stage 4 right there.
Used ReimuB.

nintendonut888

« Reply #974 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »
Died while Patchouli was exploding.

That was almost a no-death stage 4 right there.
Used ReimuB.

I did it with Marisa B myself, since she has the easiest Patchy fight (Rage Trilithon and Silver Dragon are so easy it makes up for Emerald Megalith). The hardest part of doing that stage no deaths is how loooooooong it is. =_=
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Jaimers

« Reply #975 on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
I did it with Marisa B myself, since she has the easiest Patchy fight (Rage Trilithon and Silver Dragon are so easy it makes up for Emerald Megalith). The hardest part of doing that stage no deaths is how loooooooong it is. =_=

Yeah, it doesn't help that the stage portion is so trivial, with the exception of THE books of course.
It's kind of a drag to go through it everytime just for Patchy.
I'll try it with MarisaB.
Spoiler:
as soon as I unlock her for stage practice >_>
Also whoever said that ReimuA has the easiest Patchy battle is a liar.

Bananamatic

« Reply #976 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
Tell me how is the laser streaming trivial :V

theshirn

« Reply #977 on: December 21, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »
Tell me how is the laser streaming trivial :V
Erm...if you mean the part right after the four waves of spike fairies after Koakuma...start in the bottom middle of the screen, stream very slowly right?  It's probably the easiest part of the stage...

« Reply #978 on: December 21, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom Stage 3 Lunatic, MarisaA.

Perfect Stage, perfect midboss battles, perfect spellcard captures.

One death while Hanged Hourai Dolls was ending.

« Reply #979 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Okay, how the hell do I play PoFV better unfocused most of the time over focused most of the time?

Tried doing the thing where you mostly play focused and release focus then press and hold again and got less far with Komachi than I do playing Unfocused mostly and just focusing to activate spirits and for some dodging.

theshirn

« Reply #980 on: December 21, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »
Okay, how the hell do I play PoFV better unfocused most of the time over focused most of the time?

Tried doing the thing where you mostly play focused and release focus then press and hold again and got less far with Komachi than I do playing Unfocused mostly and just focusing to activate spirits and for some dodging.
I pretty much always play that way.  I can fairly consistently get to Shikieiki on Lunatic with at least one life in stock...

« Reply #981 on: December 21, 2009, 02:04:25 AM »
When playing touhou i find that while my reflexes are generally good, I often die stupidly by running right into a incoming bullet right after i dodge a cascade.

To make things worse, I have no death bomb timing whatsoever...

In the past i was so bomb happy that I was usually out of bombs by the time i got to the boss.

Now as i get better I can get to the boss without losing lives or bombs. (Only on easy and normal)

But I still can't figure out deathbomb timing...

Need HELP!!

nintendonut888

« Reply #982 on: December 21, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »
Don't try to time deathbombs; bomb before you get hit. The time it takes for you to press the bomb button will save you in the form of a deathbomb.

« Reply #983 on: December 21, 2009, 02:11:13 AM »
I see my approach has been wrong...

However...often I just try to dodge through the spellcard to get the bonus, and for that panic bombing is not the way to go...

« Reply #984 on: December 21, 2009, 02:24:14 AM »
Edited to fix image.

If I didn't ram into some enemies and danmaku near the beginning of the round I might of actually had a chance. Lunatic of course. First time I made it to Shikieiki using Komachi.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:37:15 AM by Enigma »

ebarrett

« Reply #985 on: December 21, 2009, 02:29:04 AM »
I see my approach has been wrong...

However...often I just try to dodge through the spellcard to get the bonus, and for that panic bombing is not the way to go...

panic bombing != deathbombing.

panic bombing is what you do when you're safe and bomb anyway because you freaked out. deathbombing happens when you are going to get hit, you see you're going to get hit, and you bomb just in time to save yourself.

basically, deathbombing is as much about reading as it is about reflexes. if you're trying to twitch your way through everything, sooner or later you'll get hit by stuff you didn't even see, making deathbombing almost impossible.

As for me, more Shikieiki NFNV woes. By now I'm almost sure that stages 7 and above purposefully bounce you upwards - again didn't make it past Komachi, again ended most of the rounds vs. Aya and Komachi at boss summon height.

« Reply #986 on: December 21, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »
Well at least panic bombing's out of my system... (did that a lot when i started playing)

Strangely I tend to twitch my way through just about everything...

Some of my replays look like spazzing.

« Reply #987 on: December 21, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »
Damn it, I just died even more times before Shikieiki. And I played even worse against her this time. If I played really well I could potentially end up at Shikieiki with 3 or 4 spare lives due to how close I was to 90,000,000 at the end. Too bad the AI decides to consistently cheat me most of the time.

« Reply #988 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
I just realised that the entirity of EoSD Lunatic is about three things:

Killing Doll
Scarlet Meister
Scarlet Gensokyo

It's a bit like MoF Stage 6 is all about Virtue of the Wind God, but for the *entire game*.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #989 on: December 21, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
Phantasm no focus, two deaths... two bombs used during the entire run. The two deaths were on her third non-card and Butterfly in the Zen Temple. <_< I almost captured BoLaD, for crying out loud. I wish I'd stop making these stupid mistakes.
Let's fight.