Author Topic: General Screenshot/Video Thread  (Read 207717 times)

KomeijiKoishi

Re: General Screenshot/Video Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 30, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »
A better question for me would be where to find this game.

Drake

« Reply #601 on: October 30, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
It's... a giant fucking ripoff. This better be on purpose.

Aside from the ripped elements the danmaku is horrible. My god.

EDIT: What the hell is going on? All this music is by 烏影, who dropped off the face of the earth a while ago. Second boss theme is probably more commonly known as the bad-UFO-PH Nazrin theme. All the music was done by him, but... what? I'm fucking confused now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:57:51 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #602 on: October 30, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
bad-UFO-PH

Ya telling me there's a GOOD UFO Phantasm?

Drake

« Reply #603 on: October 30, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
No, just a better theme.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Formless God

« Reply #604 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »
Spriterip where. I can fix this in most cases.

Though I think you should just teach me how to fix it so I don't run into this again next time :ohdear:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10910002
Probably just a total Touhou copy done for lulz by someone in their free time.
Danmaku is meh overall, though I did spot a couple of gems. Music is pretty nice and the characters are :*

EDIT: Hmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:33:48 PM by Formless Fluffy Wingz »

« Reply #605 on: October 30, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
lol spellcard bonus get at the end

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #606 on: November 01, 2010, 02:08:30 AM »
Anyone remember this? :derp:

Remembered about it last night and just tried experimenting with render targets
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #607 on: November 01, 2010, 02:46:51 AM »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #608 on: November 01, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
Happy Halloween! Erm, sorry the uploading took so long... D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6fUJQs0s9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzX_h6OWzSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMbIQbAxFHs

Looks nice. I liked Re: Cirno the most :I

Also the amount of not-Yukari circle field attacks displeases me.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #609 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
SWR in shmup form?

also holy crap lunatic is ridiculous

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #610 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »
I have the script. It's been in my folder for about a month now...

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #611 on: November 02, 2010, 01:23:37 AM »
I finally got stages 2 and 3 of Re:F/Rain recorded.   :X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbyJiwXAnjI

Grumskiz

• Likes Tyrian and Cave...also there is Touhou
  • Danmaku without programming or gaming skill
    • My Youtube Channel - German Let's Play Videos
« Reply #612 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
SWR in shmup form?

That is pretty cool, but unfortunately it doesn't work on my computer...
First:
The music doesn't play and the game crashes every now and then D:
Also I miss some soundeffects for example when you get a full powerup...
Difficultylevels are all hard x_x
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:12:05 PM by Grumskiz »

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #613 on: November 06, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11528998

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS THIS GAME BROKEN

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #614 on: November 09, 2010, 04:40:36 AM »

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #615 on: November 11, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
o hai I made my cutin function more ZUN ish
Now with 100% more code stolen from helepolis cutin function  (specifically the movement pattern for SA type cutin) You don't get to see it now though (it blocks the entire fucking screen)
I bombed to make sure home doesn't glitch (still no background)
Yes WHAT is a difficulty mode to cater for masochists. not fuckingwhat since I don't want my parents eyeballing me.
Also: Need advice on HUD. I'm getting better at making stg frames, still doesn't beat lolstgframe though  :V
Looks like i need to touch up the ZUN sprites to make it look smoother.
Now if you'll excuse me, i'll bury my head in shame.
[attach=1]

Grumskiz

• Likes Tyrian and Cave...also there is Touhou
  • Danmaku without programming or gaming skill
    • My Youtube Channel - German Let's Play Videos
« Reply #616 on: November 16, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »

Also: Need advice on HUD. I'm getting better at making stg frames, still doesn't beat lolstgframe though  :V

Nothing beats the lol-STG_Frame!! Don't even think of it!
Your HUD looks pretty cool btw!
Trying to make my own one right now, but only with self-made graphics, so this will take a while D:

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #617 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
Nothing beats the lol-STG_Frame!! Don't even think of it!
Your HUD looks pretty cool btw!
Trying to make my own one right now, but only with self-made graphics, so this will take a while D:
This is my 2nd or 3rd custom HUD. It's pretty simple to make one after a while. Just need some quality time in photoshop/fireworks

Sejha

• I think Im a game dev. And Musician.
« Reply #618 on: November 24, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
SWR in shmup form?

Downloaded, but not sure how to load it into my copy of DNH.
I've evolved a lot. When did I make this account again?

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #619 on: November 25, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
First off: the presentation is great. It all looks somewhat professional, and it's really pretty. The technical aspect is great, too - the menus work well, player selection is good, and the programming itself seems very well-done.

However, the actual danmaku design needs a LOT of work. The stage is just streaming with a single instance of dodging unfairly fast rings, and that's it. Play some actual Touhou stages, note what makes them interesting and fun, and make your own. There was a post about stage design somewhere (the PoSR thread maybe?), so ask around for that if you're interested.
In addition, Aya wasn't that interesting of a boss fight (although, like I said, the presentation and graphics are great). All her attacks suffered the same problems - it's either basic dodging with no uniqueness (as in her first nonspell) or gimmicky ones that will kill everyone that plays them unless they know what's coming, like the fast tengu bullets from the side. Her last attack, where the challenge is outsmarting the camera, is pretty much impossible until you've died once or twice to know what's going on. However, though gimmicky, those two attacks looked pretty fun and well-designed, just not suited for a full game. Imagine playing a 30-minute game, then failing on the last boss because you didn't memorize the pattern beforehand! Remember, your players don't know how any given attack works until they see it first.

As a suggestion, I think you would be better off making a StB/DS-style "spell card compilation" rather than a full sequential game, with everything just selected from a menu like in spell practice. Gimmicky attacks (which seem to be your specialty) are much more well-suited for that, since dying has no penalty at all and restarting is quick. The player can take as long as they want to figure out a card and they're not penalized for it since restarting only takes a few seconds, therefore attacks like Aya's spell cards in that video become much more fair and fun! If you released a series of spell cards like that, I'd certainly play it, but I'd be a lot more reluctant if it was a full 6-stage game and I had to go through boring stages and memorize things as I go.

Summary: stage needs work; nonspells are generic; spell cards are fun but not well-suited for a continuous game; make a series of single spell cards instead.

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #621 on: November 25, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
First off: the presentation is great. It all looks somewhat professional, and it's really pretty. The technical aspect is great, too - the menus work well, player selection is good, and the programming itself seems very well-done.

However, the actual danmaku design needs a LOT of work. The stage is just streaming with a single instance of dodging unfairly fast rings, and that's it. Play some actual Touhou stages, note what makes them interesting and fun, and make your own. There was a post about stage design somewhere (the PoSR thread maybe?), so ask around for that if you're interested.
In addition, Aya wasn't that interesting of a boss fight (although, like I said, the presentation and graphics are great). All her attacks suffered the same problems - it's either basic dodging with no uniqueness (as in her first nonspell) or gimmicky ones that will kill everyone that plays them unless they know what's coming, like the fast tengu bullets from the side. Her last attack, where the challenge is outsmarting the camera, is pretty much impossible until you've died once or twice to know what's going on. However, though gimmicky, those two attacks looked pretty fun and well-designed, just not suited for a full game. Imagine playing a 30-minute game, then failing on the last boss because you didn't memorize the pattern beforehand! Remember, your players don't know how any given attack works until they see it first.

As a suggestion, I think you would be better off making a StB/DS-style "spell card compilation" rather than a full sequential game, with everything just selected from a menu like in spell practice. Gimmicky attacks (which seem to be your specialty) are much more well-suited for that, since dying has no penalty at all and restarting is quick. The player can take as long as they want to figure out a card and they're not penalized for it since restarting only takes a few seconds, therefore attacks like Aya's spell cards in that video become much more fair and fun! If you released a series of spell cards like that, I'd certainly play it, but I'd be a lot more reluctant if it was a full 6-stage game and I had to go through boring stages and memorize things as I go.

Summary: stage needs work; nonspells are generic; spell cards are fun but not well-suited for a continuous game; make a series of single spell cards instead.
I still suck at danmaku design i see  :ohdear:
I guess that's why i expected to make some revisions once the criticism came in.  :3

*Returns to the drawing board to redesign stuff*

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #622 on: November 25, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »
Danmaku design is hard and not many people have succeeded in getting it right all the time. Most work has a mix of good and bad stuff which makes the overall feeling good anyway, but yea.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #623 on: November 25, 2010, 07:18:01 PM »
Downloaded, but not sure how to load it into my copy of DNH.

I think I remember that you had to name the script folder ScarletWeatherRhapsody or something and that it should lead straight to the script's main folders.

Play some actual Touhou stages, note what makes them interesting and fun, and make your own.

I don't think Touhou is the best example for stage design though...  :ohdear:

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #624 on: November 25, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
I don't think Touhou is the best example for stage design though...  :ohdear:
Although this isn't the place to be arguing which games have better stage design, I just meant it in a general sense anyway. Play games (Touhou was the first that came to mind for obvious reasons), see why the stages are interesting or fun, then make your own stage that follows the same guidelines but has your own little twist.
Stage design is the hardest part of danmaku creation, which is why I suggested that he just make a "spell practice mode"-like game instead. Not as an insult because he's bad at stage design, but because I feel it just fits his skill set a lot better.

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #625 on: November 26, 2010, 01:10:07 AM »
Danmaku design is hard and not many people have succeeded in getting it right all the time. Most work has a mix of good and bad stuff which makes the overall feeling good anyway, but yea.
So what's good danmaku design anyway?
Is it something like
- Must be graphically pleasing
- Must be fun to dodge

if the first point applies, then would the shotsheet I use make a difference?
and for the second point, WHAT is fun to dodge anyway? ???

I have also cut the amount of streaming in my stages but I don't see what kind of static patterns work well in a stage either.

Not as an insult because he's bad at stage design, but because I feel it just fits his skill set a lot better.
I know i suck terrible balls at stages, but I decided to do this as a challenge to myself to improve stage design. If i don't do something about this, I won't improve  :3

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #626 on: November 26, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
You misspelled practice. :V

Overall really interesting, but it still needs fun, original danmaku.
Btw, those ring bullets are too hard.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
« Reply #627 on: November 26, 2010, 02:05:46 AM »
Fun danmaku design is all subjective, and it's hard to quantify. If it were possible to say "do these things to make a fun game," then game design would be way too easy, anyway. Again, just think about your favorite danmaku in Touhou or other games and figure out why you find them fun. Then make your own based on those principles, but with your own personal twist and style.
Also, visuals aren't directly related to fun gameplay, though they help the experience as a whole. Your visuals are already really good anyway though, so don't worry too much about it.
(Perhaps this should be split into a separate topic? I want to go into more detail but don't want to clog up this thread.)

Sejha

• I think Im a game dev. And Musician.
« Reply #628 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
I think I remember that you had to name the script folder ScarletWeatherRhapsody or something and that it should lead straight to the script's main folders.

Thanks, it works now. The only thing that doesn't is the music, but I'll fix that later.
I've evolved a lot. When did I make this account again?

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #629 on: November 26, 2010, 03:33:54 AM »
Fun fact: It's near impossible to make a fun stage if you only have one type of enemy onscreen at any one time. Combining what seem like basic patterns can make something surprisingly complex. You should make use of a variety of enemy types:

-Streaming foes or fairies, who come in swarms and primarily use movement to complicate their simple patterns.
-Basic fairies who shoot a single wave of a pattern. They might appear 2 or 3 at a time.
-Big fairies who stay onscreen for an extended period of time while shooting.

A good stage will force you to move around in ways that boss fights don't, and to think about which enemies you should shoot first. You don't have to imitate ZUN or anyone else's style, but if you want to make something "fun", variety can't hurt.