Author Topic: INVASION! (Game Over, Nobody Wins)  (Read 81962 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: INVASION! (Day 1) - Suspicion~
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »
In layman's terms, this says that a case will only really start to have merit when it's based on flips and interactions with those people that flipped, or it is founded in information gained from a power role.
This was never put into question. It is undisputed from both sides of the arguement that this is true.

What is being put into question is that if everyone is suppose to handle day one like Suwako (And apparently You) suggests to handle it, then there will be no meaningful interactions. All we would have are flips, but nothing inbetween them to analyze.

This is what we disagree with.

It's also worth noting that a "quality" Day 1 case managed to pop up almost immediately with Anthony's reaction to being called out and it ended up giving everyone something to weigh in on.

So actually I take that back about how walls are inevitable, because Day 1 could still meander along quite easily without them and the hang-back-and-analyze-attitudes-instead-of-cases approach would still be perfectly viable. If everyone took a more succinct approach to the Anthony situation and the things that stemmed from it then we'd be exactly in that situation.

Now obviously if absolutely everyone tried the exact same hang-back thing then nothing would get done, so in that case it's perfectly fine to step up and take the initiative by following "normal" Day 1 conventions wrt case-making. When there's already so much useless ambient noise, though? No.

Iiiiiinteresting
Looking active while providing no meaningful opinions eh
That describes, likero, half the game-o though.  Why VGT specifically?
Because he didn't throw down a "case" and vote like other people did?
Is this really indicative of scumminess?

On Day 1? Sure.

I wouldn't say it describes "half the game" because plenty of other people were willing to go out on a limb and say "I think ____ is town/scum because _____" regardless of how good the reason for it was.

Except that by this logic, if everyone were to make the supposedly Pro-Town decision, the result would be Anti-Town.

It's also worth noting that a "quality" Day 1 case managed to pop up almost immediately with Anthony's reaction to being called out and it ended up giving everyone something to weigh in on.

So actually I take that back about how walls are inevitable, because Day 1 could still meander along quite easily without them and the hang-back-and-analyze-attitudes-instead-of-cases approach would still be perfectly viable. If everyone took a more succinct approach to the Anthony situation and the things that stemmed from it then we'd be exactly in that situation.

Now obviously if absolutely everyone tried the exact same hang-back thing then nothing would get done, so in that case it's perfectly fine to step up and take the initiative by following "normal" Day 1 conventions wrt case-making. When there's already so much useless ambient noise, though? No.

The point being IT'S DAY 1. If you can't make informed decisions yet, at least have some opinions so that you can be judged on them later. Hanging back like this is an excellent way for scum to let attention fall on the louder Townies.

You say this like Suwako and I don't have any opinions on the table.

If "loud" Townies don't want suspicion to fall on them they maybe they should tone it down? Seems like the logical counter to doing something scum can exploit to me.

Alright, if it's the smarter way to play then Tenshi is a fucking genius.

You really need to stop being so narrow-minded if you're equating what Suwako and myself have done this game to what Tenshi has done this game. Suwako and I have had opinions from the beginning. I changed mine a little bit as the day progressed, while Suwako stuck to hers for most of the day before the recent change.

Tenshi has literally done nothing until now. No posts (outside of "whoa the game started?"), no opinions. This is not at all what we've done. I don't know why you'd equate our situations other than this bizarre and incorrect "people who don't post a lot are scum!" formula that you've subscribed to for whatever reason.

Seriously? Seriously? Are you really going for the 'everything's up for interpretation' argument? What, am I arguing religion again?
If we sit here and reduce everything to 'interpretation', then everyone gets the right to read anything as whatever they like if there's the tiniest bit of reasoning. The simple fact is that affiliation is not open to interpretation - Role PMs went out before Day 1 even started. You're either scum or you aren't.

Not up for interpretation: "VGT hasn't voted yet."
Up for interpretation: "VGT hasn't posted anything of worth."

The former wasn't arguable up until he moved to Seniwac (which has already been discussed by other people so I won't get into it). The latter, though, can be - and did get! - argued. And yes, people have "the right to read anything as whatever they want", but if scum abuse this and read things in obviously incorrect or scummy ways then they're going to get called on it.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
Ideally Day 1 would have even participation from all the players, so while your statement that the people who are overposting should slow down a bit is correct, your own content of "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP Vote Kilga for not telling people to SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP" doesn't justify itself.

This is not why Suwako is voting for me, though.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
EBWOP with actual content:
I've got a shaky newbTown read on VgameT, but my initial approach to S. Moriya was to let him get two of his precious flips and then pressure him with a steamroller D2.
This implies that said flips would make Suwako look bad. I really don't like the sound of this statement, and it's worth following in the event that we get a Town flip today.
I don't follow.

@Kilga:  Again, I don't follow.  Why is Suwako voting for you?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
Again, why are you labelling all of this as useless? People are making cases, stating opinions, and after a flip or two they can be held to these opinions and then more discussion can start.

You say this like Suwako and I don't have any opinions on the table.
Given that Suwako has basically been tunneling on you and Pesco all day? I'd say that opinion is pretty valid.
Likewise, your contribution has more or less been 'STFU GUYS YOU'RE ALL RETARDED, VOTE VGT FOR NOT HAVING OPINIONS'.

If "loud" Townies don't want suspicion to fall on them they maybe they should tone it down? Seems like the logical counter to doing something scum can exploit to me.
And thus we retract to the 'if no-one is willing to speak up, anti-town results'. We need loud Townies to bounce conversation off of.

You really need to stop being so narrow-minded if you're equating what Suwako and myself have done this game to what Tenshi has done this game. Suwako and I have had opinions from the beginning. I changed mine a little bit as the day progressed, while Suwako stuck to hers for most of the day before the recent change.

Tenshi has literally done nothing until now. No posts (outside of "whoa the game started?"), no opinions. This is not at all what we've done. I don't know why you'd equate our situations other than this bizarre and incorrect "people who don't post a lot are scum!" formula that you've subscribed to for whatever reason.
Firstly, it's called Lynch All Lurkers. I'm relatively sure YOU were the one who introduced it to MotK in IN Mafia.

Secondly, I'm saying that Tenshi is the logical extreme of your ideal - you say people talk too much, but Tenshi isn't talking at all. Where do you draw the line between your Special Day 1 Apathy and outright lurking?

Thirdly, it irritates me how the two of you post so often and most of your posts consist of complaining that everyone else is talking too much. Take Suwako's advice and get your head out of your clacoa - maybe we aren't godlike players like you are, but that doesn't me we aren't doing our damnedest right now.

Finally, I am of the opinion that this Day 1 Apathy tactic of yours is massively anti-Town. I'm reminded of an old riddle:
"A professor visits a store along with his wife when the two are split up. The wife is about to go looking for him when she remembers something her husband had said in a lecture - 'if two people are separated, it will help them come together faster if one stays where they are while the other searches'. Assuming she remembered the lecture correctly, why was it a mistake for her to wait?"
The answer?
Spoiler:
The professor thought exactly the same thing and waited for his wife to find him elsewhere.
This mindset of yours and Suwako's gives the two of you a convenient excuse to not contribute to discussion without being reprimanded for it. That is what makes me convinced that Suwako is worth voting for, and I'm beginning to remember something you said at the end of Communication Breakdance:
Also, since I don't have to worry about people going "Kilga is using meta! Get him!" anymore, my scum play is to put my ass on the line, not my buddies'. Look at PC-98, SWR and Bamboo Forest, three games in a row where I was scum. All three games I came under heavy fire on Day 2 whilst my buddies were allowed to coast on through to the victory. Thinking I would throw buddies away to win the game myself is silly.
Note how you've come out of the woodworks to defend Suwako's style of play. I'm thinking personally that a Suwako flip would be very education in terms of your affiliation...

I don't follow.
It comes across as you being relatively sure that these flips will harm Suwako - i.e. people who he aren't voting for (VgT) are scum or vice versa.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #304 on: September 18, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
EBWOP: Gah, people who he isn't voting for is what I meant. I'm taking a bus home for the weekend in about ten minutes, so this is my last post before the phase change most likely. Still happy with a Suwako lynch right now on the basis of not contributing to discussion and trying to evade it via Appeal to Authority.

Umu, put your vote somewhere where it'll do something. Nietz lynch isn't happening today.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #305 on: September 18, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »
Nobody read what I said about elitism? I think if you understood, we can skip out a whole bunch of method arguing.

And Rou, you can't play this game with a dead set formula. Don't even try argue about it.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #306 on: September 18, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
Rou, in case you missed it, I'm trying to decide where to put that vote.

The point behind my comment about Suwako was not so much that I think the flips will hurt him (how would they?) so much as catering to him (here's your bloody flips, so act useful now that you have no excuse for sitting back and whining, you frogface).

tbh a VgameT lynch would be awesome for that, so go go deadline vote that will likely come under fire later, etc.
##Unvote: Nietz
##Vote: VgameT
(L-2)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
ITT guess who is playing for Suwako.

Alice.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
I don't buy Suwako's supposed strategy of waiting on flips to start making real cases.  I'll grant that a scum flip is the tool of choice when it's available, but a town flip just confirms that the case on the lynchee wasn't valid after all.  And if there really is no lynching scum D1, then a town flip is what we're doomed to get, right?  If there isn't any serious discussion on who to lynch before the flip, then all you get are people talking about it after the fact.  Furthermore, I don't see how night kills provide a whole lot of evidence on who to lynch, and night actions are supposed to supplement daytime scumhunting, not replace it - that's why there are godfathers and millers.  The vote on Kilga also looks like a throwaway vote, though to be fair, a vote on anyone but VgT (or himself) isn't likely to result in a lynch at this point.

Suwako's play is weird for scum, I admit, but it's even weirder for town.  Just like you shouldn't clear people for bad play, you shouldn't clear them for bizarre play either.  I foresee Suwako suddenly shaping up D2 or D3 and coasting into LyLo in part due to the lack of any incriminating early connections to any scum we end up lynching.  As far as lack of contribution goes, Angel Milk is worse, of course, but the key here is that Suwako's play is willful while Angel Milk's just looks incidental.

VgameT's my secondary lynch, followed by Anthony.  I'll be online to hammer if necessary up to the deadline.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
I'll be honest. I skimmed everything since about 11:30 PM EDT last night. Suwako switched to Kilga, Kilga explained why D1 apathy was ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RIIIIIIIIIIGHT, and Suwako is suddenly getting less hate, and Kilga is resigned to being voted by Suwako. Rou is still trying to play lawful stupid, and Tenshi REALLY NEEDS TO FUCKING POST.

I will at least give my opinion on D1 apathy, mostly that it's not very useful since you lose a lot of the D1 ties that MAKE the flips worth while. Now, succinctness, that is logically protown. But not posting anything of worth at all? Not pro town. And Suwako has not posted much of worth given the limited amount of words she uses. If you want to argue succinctness=protown, then you MUST accept that each word is at a much higher value, and there is a higher demand for each sentence formed to have information, and a lot of it. As such, Suwako is NOT being pro town by hanging back saying "FUCK NAW!" to walls. However, I argue VgT is more antitown for saying lots of words and providing little to no information except Suwako and Kilga, until way late in the day. So, too little, too late in the end. I also want to humor Suwako and see if she comes back with actual connections and opinions D2.

In other news, I'll place my bet on FAV, the disappearing young lady shook MotK mafia to it's core. Suwako is the antithesis of her playstyle, but I'm willing to bet she can change her playstyle if she likes.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
Vote Count: In Which The Mod Didn't Sleep Through Deadline After All <3
VGameT (7) - Kiro, Kilgamayan, Eliphas, pesco, UncertainKitten, Kitten4U, umu
Pesco (1) - Nietz
Suwako Moriya (7) - Roukanken, Affinity, Serpentarius, Zakeri, Anthony, VGameT, Angel Milk
Kilgamayan (1) - Suwako Moriya

VGameT and Suwako Moriya are at L-2.

Not voting: No one!

Less than one hour remains.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
In the name of Omoikane, what the hell is with you all to start making so much noise in the end of the day, like there wasn't enough already.

Nothing relevant since last time I checked, pesco is still the scummiest (and no, if you can't defend yourself I'm not taking your hand and doing it for you). I'd like to keep my vote where it is because the only other lynch I would be OK right now is Milk, but No Lynch would be worse, so I'll try to be around deadline in it's needed.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
Actually, seems I can't stay.

##Unvote
##Vote: VGameT

A Suwako flip tells next to nothing, a VgT scumflip could at least mostly clear my case on pesco.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
Cool story moonbitch.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
I'm here. Available to switch around if needed. Still would prefer a VgT lynch as I think he's more likely to be Scum than Suwako despite all the animosity that could be attributed to the latter. And like umu says, I think by Day 2, Suwako will have higher standards to meet after all this disgust he's been forced to "deal with" on Day 1. If he's Town who plans to get some good leads by then, he'll be motivated to provide.

Edible

« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:38 PM »
VGameT is at L-1.  Suwako Moriya is at L-2.

~15 minutes remain.

Serp

« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
I'm here and ready to hammer, just holding back in case someone's trying to rush a last post.

Edible

« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
Votecount is unchanged.

5 minutes remain.

Serp

« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »
##Unvote
##Vote: VgameT
  (Hammer)

Edible

« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
"Words words words words words words words!"

"Oh yeah?  Words words words words words words words words words!"

"Well, so's your mother!  Words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words-"

The day was long and so very, very noisy.  Some of the group thought it would never end... but end it has.

Much of the discussion was focused around Unzan's weird sense of humor, then someone chimed up.  "Hey, wait a minute.  Clouds can't talk."

"You're right!  LYNCH HIM!"

"What do you mean clouds can't talk, I- uh... BROFIST BROFIST BROFIIIIIST >:("

Moral of Day 1: Do you have any idea how difficult it is to lynch a cloud?

VgameT, playing Unzan, Vanilla Townie, was not lynched!

That's because he was actually VgameT, playing Unzan, Mafia Goon.  And he was lynched.  Eventually.  Once people figured out how.

It is now Night 1.  You have until 1:20 PM EST tomorrow (around 24 hours) to submit any and all night actions.

Edible

Re: INVASION! (Night 1) - Sleepy Sleepy Time
« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
As a reminder, we have one open slot for replacement - if you know anyone who would like to step in, please let me know.

« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
Moral of Day 1: Do you have any idea how difficult it is to lynch a cloud?
It involve an ice fairy, a glass tube, and a close valve pump. :V

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
flip would have been funnier if you had made my scumname UNzan or something

hey guys I had fun playing, so thanks!

Edible

INVASION! (Day 2) - Something Seems Familiar
« Reply #323 on: September 19, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »
Dawn of the Second Day

(Flavor post may or may not come later.)

u? was roasted last night.  He was Koishi Komeiji, Adorable Cute Noise-Making Vanilla Townie.

It is now Day 2.  You have 72 hours to dance.  Go for broke!

The vote count has been reset.  With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.

Sodium has now replaced Eliphas.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:33:05 PM by Edible »

UncertainJakutten

Re: INVASION! (Day 2) - Something Seems Familiar
« Reply #324 on: September 19, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
First!

vote Rou

Obvious reasons, etc.

I'm also going to say Suwako is pretty much cleared by prior interactions (Which I implied in my wall on VgT, but didn't outright say. At least I planned to imply it when I saw it...um...yeah...it was the "making Suwako contribute with his fists, and mostly poking Suwako throughout the entire day")

I'll reread him again later to see if anyone besides Rou is obv buddies with him.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #325 on: September 19, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »
People Who Look Really Good

Kiro
Youmu
Nietz
UncertainKitten
Suwako Moriya

People Who Look Good But Could Have Been Bussing

Kitten4U
Pesco
Sodium (but not Seniwac because Seniwac is not allowed to look good)

People Who Don't Actually Look Too Terrible Despite Being On The Wrong Wagon

Affinity

People Who Look Bad But Not As Much As The Others Listed Below

Roukan
Zakeri

People Who Look Really Bad

Tenshi
Anthony

People That Need To Be Lynched Today

##Vote: Serpentarius

- VGT is "close second" to Anthony here rather than top case. Possible namedrop in the event of a future VGT flip.
- Vote for Now Pretty Clearly Town Suwako to put her one vote behind VGT. The VGT case has suddenly disappeared - where to? Also, an accusation of trying to "avoid having to say anything incriminating D1"? Seriously? That's weak.
- Late in the day, and VGT is suddenly a high priority case again! Not as high priority as Suwako though, apparently. This was at a crucial end-of-day time, when both VGT and Suwako were at L-2. Notably completely wrong interpretation of how a D1 town flip would play out on D2 (in addition to discussion of why analyzing night kills are bad where did this come from???) makes case against Suwako look even weaker and more and more like an attempt to save VGT.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #326 on: September 19, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
Yanno...I think I figured out why Kilga makes so much sense. You actually review the game during the night phase, don't you?

Why in the nine hells has that never occured to me in my entire mafia history...

I'll want to reread Serpy for myself, because I admittedly went into today ready to blast Rou the minute I saw VgT's flip, but...yeah...

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood and the flow of the game. In this case I did because we had a scum flip to work off of.

It's worth noting that the above list was constructed solely on reviewing the various approaches to the two wagons.

Also, Edible, next time you might want to unlock the topic. >_>

I don't think I locked it in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 07:09:39 PM by Edible »

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood and the flow of the game. In this case I did because we had a scum flip to work off of.

It's worth noting that the above list was constructed solely on reviewing the various approaches to the two wagons.

Also, Edible, next time you might want to unlock the topic. >_>

Did you unlock it?

And I figured as much. Hence why I'm on Rou. VgT 6th on a list of obviously inferior targets? It's like lip service.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »
I did.