Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2  (Read 96109 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2
« Reply #870 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
>Let's wait for Haruka and co. to be done their preparations and be on our way
>Assuming nothing else notable comes up in the meantime

>It doesn't take Haruka and Subala very long to be ready, the women travel very light. The thing that takes the longest, Haruka reports, is explaining to the airport staff that you'll be working with the mikos this. Though Haruka seems a bit hesitant to admit it, airport security seemed to be a bit resistant to the idea. She explains that they're nervous about letting relative strangers into otherwise secure areas. The mikos are known, but your group is still largely an unknown one to the people of Mayoiga. If this ends up in the news, perhaps that might change for the better.
>Haruka's plan was to head straight to the airport to await the arrival of the target plane. She gives your group the option to head directly there with her or make your own way there in your own time. Given the apparent suspicion the airport staff have with your group, you decide to travel with Haruka and Subala. Or rather, with Haruka alone. Subala, by her choice and Haruka's decision, opts to travel on her own route by herself. The fewer people that know about her, the better chance she has of surprising Semitur if the need arises.

>Since you have the capacity to fly to the airport, you elect to take that route. Either you or Rin could carry Minoriko do the airport, she elects to fly with Haruka across the city. The flight is not an entirely pleasant one. The wind has risen since you were outside last, and you're flying right into it. The biting wind cuts into your skin as you fly through the sky, and it smells like snow is on the way. As you fly across town, you spy the plows out on the roads, the shoveling and snow-blowing people, dealing with the snow that's fallen before today. This has been one of the snowiest winters Mayoiga's seen in quite some time, and it doesn't show signs of abating yet.

>The sight of the airport from the air is an impressive one, but Haruka proposes that you land and walk the final few blocks, so as not to interfere with potential landings and takeoffs. Apparently the air around the airport is a restricted airspace to natural and magical flyers as much as it is technological flyers. So the seven of you revert to legged transportation to take you to the front door of Mayoiga International airport. The simulation of the building was remarkably accurate to the real thing, save for the large numbers of people you find on the inside of the place. Shutting down the airport, even for a threat like Semitur, wasn't an option, so you may find yourself confronting the villain in a crowd. There's a complication, but therein lies one of the advantages of your power and its inherent non-lethality.

« Reply #871 on: January 14, 2018, 10:00:55 PM »
>Let's follow Haruka's lead and proceed to where we're supposed to be waiting

« Reply #872 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:02 AM »
>Let's follow Haruka's lead and proceed to where we're supposed to be waiting

>Haruka leads you to one of the lesser-populated areas of the main room, trying, but not obviously, to avoid drawing too much attention. It occurs to you that things might be a bit awkward for her, too, out in public now. Between the incident at the Tiger shrine and the one at the Knowledge manor, knowing of the mikos magical adventures has reached the public just as it has about you. You've been able to hide behind your civilian identity, but the shrine maidens don't have that luxury. To your knowledge, none of the shrines have many any official statement to the public about the matter. In essence the shrines have been lying to the people of Mayoiga for decades now, and explaining that might be a bit awkward.
>But for whatever reason, neither she nor any of your group are stopped as you make your way towards the security offices of the airport. Despite Haruka's reports of suspicion harbored by the security staff towards you, the guard that greets you, a bright-eyed canine youkai who doesn't seem to be much older than you are, seems quite happy to see the lot of you. Apparently he sees the lot of you as heroes. The senior officer he leads you to, on the other hand, has a different opinion. The aging, craggy faced human, has little trouble stating his belief that you and your friends are one more band of troublemakers that Maoyiga doesn't need. He also admits that Haruka's vouching for you is the only reason you're allowed in this area, or that you have anything to do with this operation. Which he also doesn't like. The idea of letting a known killer and worse to simply deplane and enter the city with the rest of the folks isn't a pleasant one at all. You and Haruka both assure him that it's the safer of the options available. Closing off that section of the airport to the public would put Semitur on her guard, and attacking her as she's getting off the plane would put the lives of everyone on the plane and in the airport at risk. The officer grumbles but, after some cajoling from Haruka, eventually quiets his objections. He knows enough about Haruka's exploits to trust her judgement in matters such as this.

>Yuna joins you about five minutes after you're finished talking to the senior officer, making your party complete. Or at least as complete as it's going to be, since Subala seems to be doing her own thing. Once she's there, Haruka asks you, "From what I've observed, Lotus, I assume you would prefer to keep your team as together as possible for this operation?"

« Reply #873 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:18 AM »
>"I would, yes. Unless you have some specific reason you think we should be otherwise?"

« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:35 AM »
>"I would, yes. Unless you have some specific reason you think we should be otherwise?"

>"Usually I like a little coverage on missions like this. In a case like this, my plan would normally be to put one miko outside, nearer to the plane, to detect and observe the passengers as they disembark, and one miko inside near the baggage claim and check-in."
>"In order to respond quickly to threats in multiple locations." Poppy says.
>"And to keep more area and people under observation, yes."

« Reply #875 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
>"Well, this all depends on how peaceably she plans to leave the airport in the first place. Though I suppose that positioning ourselves at intervals stands less chance of attracting her attention than following her the whole way out. And if she starts trouble, if shouldn't take us too long to reassemble. But I, at least, should still take point; I have the best detection abilities of any of us."
>Is there anywhere convenient to observe the passengers as they're disembarking without ourselves being obviously visible from their position?

« Reply #876 on: January 20, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
>"Well, this all depends on how peaceably she plans to leave the airport in the first place. Though I suppose that positioning ourselves at intervals stands less chance of attracting her attention than following her the whole way out. And if she starts trouble, if shouldn't take us too long to reassemble. But I, at least, should still take point; I have the best detection abilities of any of us."
>Is there anywhere convenient to observe the passengers as they're disembarking without ourselves being obviously visible from their position?

>"When it comes to magic and spiritual matters." says Kiku. "White Rose and I have superior natural senses."
>You cannot see the target runway from where you are.

« Reply #877 on: January 20, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
>"True. In which case, I think Chrysanthemum and I should position ourselves close enough to observe the plane's disembarkation and get a first warning if anything worse than anticipated is in store. The rest of you can position yourself inside. We can use a sort of 'relay' system to make sure someone is always in a position to observe her movements without actually visibly following her; send messages ahead to where the next person should wait to anticipate her arrival."

« Reply #878 on: January 21, 2018, 12:54:47 AM »
>"True. In which case, I think Chrysanthemum and I should position ourselves close enough to observe the plane's disembarkation and get a first warning if anything worse than anticipated is in store. The rest of you can position yourself inside. We can use a sort of 'relay' system to make sure someone is always in a position to observe her movements without actually visibly following her; send messages ahead to where the next person should wait to anticipate her arrival."

>"A sound plan." Haruka concurs. "And you make a good point, we should not be seen as a group if we can help it. None of us are entirely good at blending in with a crowd."
>"Aren't shrine maidens considered a common site around town?" Poppy asks.
>Haruka nods. "That's true. But my stature and position in the public eye tends to make me stand out."
>"And not many mikos carry their goheis in public." says Yuna, gesturing with the sacred object she carries in her hands.
>"I meant to ask why you had that." White Rose says to her. "Isn't that something mikos use in prayers and things?"
>"Normally yes, but I use this one to boost my magic in situations like this."

« Reply #879 on: January 21, 2018, 01:57:32 AM »
>Nod
>"How much longer until the plane is due to arrive?"

« Reply #880 on: January 21, 2018, 04:55:05 AM »
>Nod
>"How much longer until the plane is due to arrive?"

>Haruka checks her watch. "Half an hour."
>"Give or take a little." Yuna adds. "Even Yamato planes never land exactly on time."

« Reply #881 on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:46 AM »
>"Very well, then."
>Assuming nothing further is raised, let's bide our time and make sure we're all in our given positions with sufficient time to spare.

« Reply #882 on: January 21, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
>"Very well, then."
>Assuming nothing further is raised, let's bide our time and make sure we're all in our given positions with sufficient time to spare.

>There is only one more question, and it comes from Yuna. "Summoned creatures don't interfere with your magic, does it?" she asks you. "Or conjuration magic in general?"

« Reply #883 on: January 21, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
>"Interfere how?"

« Reply #884 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
>"Interfere how?"

>"Some kinds of magic can be interfered with by conjuration magic. Either blocked completely, or having its effects turned a bit random. It has to do with the nature of conjuration magics." the odd-eyed woman explains. "I didn't know if your magic was among those affected that way."

« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »
>"I don't believe so, no."

« Reply #886 on: January 22, 2018, 12:43:27 AM »
>"I don't believe so, no."

>"Excellent. Then you wouldn't mind if I had a summoned beast operating near where you and Chrysanthemum plan to set up?"
>"That depends on how conspicuous it would be." says the tiger youkai.
>"That won't be a problem." Yuna assures her. "I've done this sort of thing before."

« Reply #887 on: January 22, 2018, 12:47:59 AM »
>"I don't see why not."

« Reply #888 on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:28 AM »
>"I don't see why not."

>"Excellent."
>"In the meantime, Lotus, I suggest you and I find ourselves a place to stake out this plane." Kiku recommends.

« Reply #889 on: January 22, 2018, 05:21:21 AM »
>Nod
>"Let's."
>Do so

« Reply #890 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:33 AM »
>Nod
>"Let's."
>Do so

>The craggy faced senior officer assigns the chatty canine to guide you, Kiku and Yuna out to the landing strips. Along the way, though, he changes course and heads for the entry ways to the arrived planes. The plane Semitur is set to arrive on is a large model airplane, the passengers will leave it and enter directly into the airport terminal rather than cross the tarmac. The area doesn't offer you much in the way of out of the way hiding places, at least not in the entrance ramp itself. It wouldn't be hard to get lost in a crowd of people, but in the outfits you're now wearing, that's all but impossible.
>And then Kiku has an idea. "Taka," she asks the young canine officer, "do you have spare uniforms available to use?"
>"Of course! But why?"
>"Because if we could disguise ourselves as members of your security team, we could operate in secret more easily than we can now."
>The canine youkai frowns. "Uh... I think I'd have to clear that with one of my bosses."
>"As should I, actually." Kiku turns to you. "Is this course of action one you wish to take, Lotus?"

« Reply #891 on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:08 AM »
>"The less conspicuous we are, the better. This place doesn't seem to offer a good vantage without being equally visible ourselves."
>Would we actually be able to magick up a uniform change on our own? Or do we get just the one suit of clothes with this and that's what we have to deal with?

« Reply #892 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:05 AM »
>"The less conspicuous we are, the better. This place doesn't seem to offer a good vantage without being equally visible ourselves."

>"Agreed."

>Would we actually be able to magick up a uniform change on our own? Or do we get just the one suit of clothes with this and that's what we have to deal with?

>You've never thought about applying your magic in that way before. But in thinking about it, it could be done. The clothes you now wear are an expression of your desire to battle the forces of chaos and protect this world and all who dwell here. They are forged of the same light you wield. That light could be bent in other ways, altering your clothing to another purpose. But you would need to keep that purpose firmly in your mind. You would be projecting an image over yourself of yourself in another role. You'd need to keep that role in your mind, that purpose, or the glamor would fail.

« Reply #893 on: January 23, 2018, 05:52:34 AM »
>Then it sounds like actual uniforms would be safer, if they're available
>"So I think that's a yes, if it's possible."

« Reply #894 on: January 24, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »
>Then it sounds like actual uniforms would be safer, if they're available
>"So I think that's a yes, if it's possible."

>True, you wouldn't have to worry about regular clothes disappearing on you. But it's a matter of concentration, of mental discipline. Maintaining a disguise while you're in combat with a Champion or a Blood might be a challenge, but in this situation it wouldn't be so bad. It depends on the nature of the image you want to project, and how easily you can see yourself in that role. In a sense it would be like acting, and as a model, you have experience putting yourself in the headspace of different roles already.

>"Okay, gimme a minute." the canine says to you before reaching for the radio on his vest.
>It is almost a pity we cannot lack Poppy's ability to alter our costumes. Kiku remarks privately as Taka speaks with one of his coworkers. Although I doubt any of her costumes stand out any less than ours.

« Reply #895 on: January 24, 2018, 03:16:05 AM »
>Probably not, no. Although I suppose neither of us have seen all of them, yet.

« Reply #896 on: January 24, 2018, 04:46:39 AM »
>Probably not, no. Although I suppose neither of us have seen all of them, yet.

>I know I have not. She hasn't shown them to you?

« Reply #897 on: January 24, 2018, 04:50:49 AM »
>I've seen nothing she hasn't used in combat.

« Reply #898 on: January 24, 2018, 05:15:12 AM »
>I've seen nothing she hasn't used in combat.

>But you do know what skills and abilities she has in those forms.

« Reply #899 on: January 24, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »
>...only somewhat. I suppose you're right that I should have asked in more detail.