Author Topic: LoCaA Contest #8 - Pure Gensokyo!  (Read 25658 times)

LoCaA Contest #8 - Pure Gensokyo!
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
Helloooooooo. It's that time again.

LOCAA Conest #8 - Pure Gensokyo!

The idea this time is to create a boss fight where bullets can't be modified after being spawned. That means no changing speeds mid-flight, no bouncing bullets off walls, no homing in on the player, no tricks, no gimmicks, no fancy trigonometry. The goal is to make something fun and beautiful while keeping it basic.

Here is a google doc with more information. You can sign up there too (right at the top where it says sign up here). Signing up isn't necessary, but it would be nice just so I can check interest.

Deadline: July 3rd 23:59 GMT

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:10:06 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Re: LoCaA Contest #8 - Pure Gensokyo!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
I read the rules andif we can't use ObjMove_GetX/Y... that's mean bullets can't be used to spawn other bullets?

TalosMistake

• Master of Aura and Shade
  • I'm Talos, not Talo~~
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
I read the rules andif we can't use ObjMove_GetX/Y... that's mean bullets can't be used to spawn other bullets?

I guess so. And we can't use GetAngleToPlayer also. That's mean no aimed bullets?

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
I guess so. And we can't use GetAngleToPlayer also. That's mean no aimed bullets?
I think that only applies to using GetAngleToPlayer on a bullet (or something that counts as one). Using GetAngleToPlayer on the boss or something else which can't hurt the player should be fine.
(And yes, spawning bullets on other bullets isn't allowed.)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:40:04 PM »
Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear enough. You can do WHATEVER you want to a bullet if it's within 1 frame of it being spawned. So ObjMove_GetX/Y and GetAngleToPlayer are only forbidden AFTER 1 frame has passed. Aimed bullets are fine. But you can't use bullets to spawn other bullets.

That means you can also use ObjMove_AddPattern functions if the time is 0 (for example, ObjMove_AddPatternA1(shot,0,1,120) is fine.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:04:48 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 04:40:41 PM »
Tres, there's a general rule that private contests don't get posted to MotK. We've gotten some criticism in the past for attempting this. We already have a place for discussion, and although I appreciate your trying to reach more potential participants, it's still a private contest and should be managed as such. That said, you've already made it public, so it's up to you as host to decide what to do next.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:42:28 PM by Sparen »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »
Tres, there's a general rule that private contests don't get posted to MotK. We've gotten some criticism in the past for attempting this. We already have a place for discussion, and although I appreciate your trying to reach more potential participants, it's still a private contest and should be managed as such. That said, you've already made it public, so it's up to you as host to decide what to do next.

except by the looks of it, it's not private. But a public contest hosted by LOCAA. It seems fine. Anyone criticizing would just be acting silly.

EDIT: Just a note, and slight criticism of the contest, Clownpiece was refined by Junko, and still possesses qualities that break the rules of this contest.
EDIT EDIT: Even JUNKO doesn't follow most of these... Example 1Example 2Example 3 Example 4 Example 5 Example 6
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:19:38 PM by PhantomSong »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »
EDIT EDIT: Even JUNKO doesn't follow most of these... Example 1Example 2Example 3 Example 4 Example 5 Example 6

It's less about Junko than a return to the fundamentals of danmaku and how to effectively make the most out of the foundation upon which all of danmaku is built. I'm pretty sure you've noticed, but a lot of the more recent scripts by advanced scripters have tended to be super flashy and not necessarily fun to play. Hopefully this contest fixes some of that.

P.S. You should participate

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
It's less about Junko than a return to the fundamentals of danmaku and how to effectively make the most out of the foundation upon which all of danmaku is built. I'm pretty sure you've noticed, but a lot of the more recent scripts by advanced scripters have tended to be super flashy and not necessarily fun to play. Hopefully this contest fixes some of that.

P.S. You should participate

Eh, just seems like we'll be getting a lot of similar patterns. If not, a lot of layered patterns, which again, shouldn't be based on a Junko thing. Because you'll be surprised how much of flexibility you'll be taking out of pattern making.

Should I? I've been so out of danmakufu lately, eh, and I've done so abysmally the last 2 contests, so I'll probably pass.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »
In regards to it being a private contest:
I was asked to make a thread on MotK and I have permission from Overlord Helolpolis. I don't see any reason this contest shouldn't be open to everyone, though if you can think of a reason feel free to share XP

In regards to Junko:
It's just a silly plot point, don't think too much about it. Only, like, 3 of Junko's official patterns follow these rules, but that's not the point. The point is to make a beautiful and fun pattern even with restrictions and less flexibility. It's along the same lines as that one "you can only use lasers" contest. Yeah it's harder, but that's the point.

And just for reference, a surprising number of complex official patterns fit the criteria here. See: Aya's nons, Satori's nons, Mamizou's nons, Ringo's nons, Hecatia's nons

In regards to PhantomSong entering:
Why wouldn't you enter you definitely should!!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:52:52 PM by TresserT »

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
And just for reference, a surprising number of complex official patterns fit the criteria here. See: Aya's nons, Satori's nons, Mamizou's nons, Ringo's nons, Hecatia's nons

Just saying, its noticeable that they're all nonspells. Though I find the contest to be an interesting challenge, I do personally feel like the rules may take its toll on the impact and design of a spellcard, as they're usually meant to be more in-depth and complex. Not that it means much, as this contest is already going underway, but maybe allowing one exception to the rules per spellcard could be useful. Anyway, that's just a personal opinion, so don't pay too much attention to this. :P

I would participate if I could, but I'm still in the mental warzone that is exam season. Sorry I guess. :v
Anyway, good luck to everyone participating! :)
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 12:21:29 AM »
Why Junko is forbidden?  :(  :ohdear:

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 12:24:21 AM »
Why Junko is forbidden?  :(  :ohdear:

Because this is about scripting Junko-y patterns.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Drake

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 02:45:06 AM »
Considering 90% of Junko's aesthetic is simple and uniform patterns, there's no creativity in using Junko as a platform for the contest. By using other characters you need to adhere to the contest's constraints while having to adapt them to a character with other aspects to their aesthetic.

Personally I'm thinking there probably could have been a better way to establish a ruleset to accomplish the idea you have in mind, since it's a bit like you had the idea, and then started recognizing loopholes to get around it so you had to make up a bunch of disconnected and oddly specific rules. But oh well.

Anyways, this being a contest hosted by LoCaA in and of itself is not really a big problem. The reason why there were problems for other contest(s) was because the thread's sole purpose was essentially just an advertisement to go over to LoCaA to do everything, if I remember correctly.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 03:32:31 AM »
Anyways, this being a contest hosted by LoCaA in and of itself is not really a big problem. The reason why there were problems for other contest(s) was because the thread's sole purpose was essentially just an advertisement to go over to LoCaA to do everything, if I remember correctly.

It wasn't really meant like that, but I was pretty bad at managing anything and everything back then, so I wouldn't be surprised it if sounded like that. If I recall, Helepolis's message was that if it was a private contest, we shouldn't advertise it here if the public cannot participate. Of course, this contest is public and is open to the public.

Drake

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 04:45:10 AM »
Yeah that's the general sentiment.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
Can I choose the same character with other people?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
Can I choose the same character with other people?

Generally speaking, there is no rule against it. However, there is a chance that people in the community will compare your script with the other ones.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
In regards to PhantomSong entering:
Why wouldn't you enter you definitely should!!!!

Ugh, fine. I'll do it... maybe. I've got 24 Mtn Dews and a whole lotta free time between graduation parties. Only issue is finding characters I want to do that don't use familiars or have patterns that don't do anything outside of frame 1.

EDIT: I also don't wanna feel cheap with using the glaring loop hole from
Any objects that can not pchuun the player and that the player can not shoot are exempt from these rules.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:57:45 PM by PhantomSong »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 08:09:23 PM »
EDIT: I also don't wanna feel cheap with using the glaring loop hole from

I.E. backgrounds and effects are exempt from the rules. :|

Random Sphere

• It's been 3 years...
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:46 PM »
So I can`t spawn bullets from the boss?

Edit : I'm a idiot. Forget it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:06:23 PM by Helepolis »
Normal 1CCs : PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC.
Extra Clears: IN, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC.

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 02:17:18 AM »
How can I submit the entry?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 03:41:12 AM »
How can I submit the entry?

Upload to Bulletforge or your preferred hosting site (e.g. MEGA, Mediafire), and put the link in the same place where you signed up (click the information doc and then the sign up link - there's a slot for submission links).

You should also make a post here with the download link so that people following the contest (including the judges) are notified of your submission. See previous contests for examples.

P.S. I'm the one who added the script name and download link categories to the form.

Note: If you use Mediafire/MEGA and choose to update your entry, you should update all places where you posted the old version with a link to the new version.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:42:45 AM by Sparen »

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 05:06:41 AM »
Upload to Bulletforge

Should be noted that Bulletforge has registrations disabled indefinitely. You would have to contact Blargel if you wish to upload to Bulletforge.

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Oh man, I am SO joining in. I was not confident enough to enter the last RaNGE contest, but now I feel much more experienced.
This is also a perfect contest for me, since I don't even use AddPattern or any of that stuff that often.

I am so going to hit the deadline though.
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

Random Sphere

• It's been 3 years...
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Im confused about the rules. What about player lasers?
Normal 1CCs : PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC.
Extra Clears: IN, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC.

FlareDragon

• Gensokyo's Infernal Hellstorm
  • When will you come to Gensokyo, Satsuki Rin?
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »
Okay. So a quick question regarding the nature of what counts as a "shot": Do familiars without hit-boxes (can't be shot down) not count? What about graphics (like, say, a phantom target or a delay laser)? This'd be the first contest I've had a chance to enter (if I kick my arse enough >w<) and I figured I'd just make sure of what the limitations are exactly (I can be a little, er, pedantic like that). Should be fun times >w<
Normal 1CC's: SoEW, LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, GFW, TD, HM, DDC, ULiL, LoLK(PD), CtC |IaMP|
Hard 1CC's: EoSD, PCB, MoF, IN(B), TD, LoLK(PD), |???|
Lunatic 1CC's: None
Extra 1CC's: SoEW, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF(NB), SA, UFO, GFW, TD, DDC, CtC, LoLK, |???|

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
Im confused about the rules. What about player lasers?
Players are totally exempt from everything. The player can do whatever you want it to.

Okay. So a quick question regarding the nature of what counts as a "shot": Do familiars without hit-boxes (can't be shot down) not count? What about graphics (like, say, a phantom target or a delay laser)? This'd be the first contest I've had a chance to enter (if I kick my arse enough >w<) and I figured I'd just make sure of what the limitations are exactly (I can be a little, er, pedantic like that). Should be fun times >w<
Hitbox-less familiars are okay. Delay clouds/lasers don't count as bullets until they have a hitbox. Anything that is purely a graphical effect is okay. That said, try to make it obvious that an object can't kill the player. Don't have a hitbox-less familiar that looks exactly like a bullet.

Oh man, I am SO joining in. I was not confident enough to enter the last RaNGE contest, but now I feel much more experienced.
This is also a perfect contest for me, since I don't even use AddPattern or any of that stuff that often.

I am so going to hit the deadline though.
Hooray owo! So many new people joining in on this contest, I look forward to seeing what you guys can do.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:01:04 PM by TresserT »

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
Anything that is purely a graphical effect is okay.
And what about hitbox less graphical effect on bullets (like trail or something other)? We need to use some ObjMove_GetX/Y but since it's only for graphical effect...

Oh and I'll certainly join it.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 01:41:30 AM »
Well... no. I'll admit some of this stuff is kind of arbitrary... but there has to be a line somewhere. You aren't allowed to use a bullet as a parameter for a function after 1 frame has passed.