Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Fates - More waifu, more husbando, more sales!  (Read 107755 times)

Re: So, The New Fire Emblem Game Just Released...
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Sadly, no.
Spoiler:
On Birthright specifically, Kaze does not give a kid until after chapter 15, and if you don't have an A support with Corrin then he plot dies.  It's really dumb.
Spoiler:
lame

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:51 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to regret saying this soon, but Conquest seems like it really eased up after the first few stages. Now that I have a team that I've customized to work well together I feel like I have the necessary tools to handle what the game throws at me. It's been quite a few chapters since I lost a chapter or anyone died. And the Freeze staff is ridiculously powerful, I have two staff wielders and as long as I'm willing to shell out for a steady supply of them (and I am) they make a lot of the scenario-based missions or secondary objectives a breeze.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:11 PM »
I'm still on Chapter 8  :V

Also, as a side-note, I like to use my Dread Fighter Scroll on Mozu, just because Dread Fighter is amazing.

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
Really need to get myself back in gear, in the short time I spent focusing on Dark Souls, my younger sister has apparently passed me up by
Spoiler:
chapters already :o (number spoilered cuz it might give something of the total number of chapters away)

Now, I'm still at chapter 10, but I can safely say I like almost all of the characters I've seen so far. There are some I care slightly less about, but I think they are all good in their own way. I have a bit more favorites here than I did in Awakening, anyways. I have multiple S ranks available now, but I'll have to give it more thought because I still have no idea who I'll put with who. There are some characters I would have paired with MC had things been different, but they are already relatives it seems, so I will have to rethink things and find someone else. Awakening was a bit more free in regards to that with Robin having no relations to anyone else, but it's a very small thing and it isn't like they could have done that for Fates anyways.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:34:47 PM by ReimiliaScarlet »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
That's Fire Emblem, baby!
Kaze died in chapter 8 Birthright route because an archer had a 1% chance to crit. Words were said.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
I've been picking up and putting down my DS. Repeatedly. Conquest Chapter 9 Niles keeps dying, even after I fed him kills in the previous chapter. He has been the first to die every single time.

Wait...

Except for that run-through where I ignored the weakest character on the map. And she died.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
Niles is just going to die a lot in general. Bow users in Fire Emblem are already death magnets, but he seems to get critical hit constantly too. I wonder if it has something to do with his bad luck stat?

Keep him alive and he'll totally pay off though. He has great stats for an archer, he has relationships with virtually everyone (at least on my team) and he's easy to feed. I believe you can gay marry him too if you have a male avatar based on looking at the relationships screen.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
Niles is just going to die a lot in general. Bow users in Fire Emblem are already death magnets, but he seems to get critical hit constantly too. I wonder if it has something to do with his bad luck stat?

Keep him alive and he'll totally pay off though. He has great stats for an archer, he has relationships with virtually everyone (at least on my team) and he's easy to feed. I believe you can gay marry him too if you have a male avatar based on looking at the relationships screen.
You can, and that is why all this talk of Niles being weak confuses me, since he was paired with my avatar 95% of the time. The remaining 5% was when I guess I needed him paired with a magic unit like Leo when I was getting him Dark Knight skills.

That said, I wanna warn anyone going the Niles or Rhajat route now: not only will you not be able to get any children characters and therefore no OP dragon child, you'll also apparently get locked out of Paralogue 2 with the two buff, effeminate berserkers that are in every game, for SOME GOD DAMN REASON I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I SWEAR NINTENDO'S PUNISHING ME FOR TAKING THE GAY ROUTE. Like I'm glad we finally have the same sex option, but I don't feel well about the notable differences that come from seeking it out.

Speaking of queer characters that I'm so happy for existing, I ADORE
Spoiler:
not!Inigo's relationship with his daughter, as well as his daughter in general. Not a fan of her not having any female S rank supports, but...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:56:41 PM by Patorikku »

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
Aw that sucks, I just assumed they would find a way to get you a kid anyway. Damn.

My avatar's marriage to Mozu is slightly rocky just because she's a little underpowered given that I was forced to promote her early to get through some earlier stages. I've been keeping her afloat by feeding her stat items, but she's not quite the powerhouse she could be right now if things had gone a little better. Blessed Lance+Forage is pretty solid on maps that support it, but her HP rate isn't great.

Actually nobody's HP seems that great in this game compared to other Fire Emblems now that I think about it. HP is low in general and dodging is next to impossible to do consistently on hard because enemy stats are so high, which makes tanks much more valuable than speedy attackers and I tragically lost my first one early. Benny is pulling his weight at this point though, so it's working out.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2016, 12:18:43 AM »
Well assuming they didn't change Villager skills in Fates, you could've averted that by getting Mozu to Level 15 (I think?), which is when Villager classes get Underdog, allowing them to get buffed against higher-level opponents.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:58 AM »
Pretty sure she has Underdog. Doesn't help that much since promoted enemies are still relatively rare, so she almost never qualifies for it.

Edit: Does anyone know if the Castle Battle missions remain available even if you do the chapter that they first appear with? I'm finding Castle Battle 2 to be nearly impossible without losing units since the enemy has a seemingly 100%-accurate Maid that uses that fucking staff that teleports your units all the way across the map and she hangs out on their back line. If I had a Rescue staff I could probably have Camilla fly over there and kill her without any risk, but I don't. This is bullshit-tier difficult for sure, but the experience is great so I'd had to pass it up.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:09:04 AM by commandercool »

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2016, 03:18:30 AM »
Pretty sure she has Underdog. Doesn't help that much since promoted enemies are still relatively rare, so she almost never qualifies for it.

Edit: Does anyone know if the Castle Battle missions remain available even if you do the chapter that they first appear with?
1. It's higher level, not higher class tier. If she's a Level 1 Swordmaster, it would activate against a Level 5 Archer. Or a Level 5 Swordmaster, for that matter.

2. They change after some point, I'd say doing one more Chapter (with a backup, of course) should be safe, but no more. I've had my Castle Battle 1 in Birthright for ages, but once I got about halfway through that game, it disappeared. Interpret that how you will.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2016, 04:21:20 AM »
According to the ingame text for Underdog higher-tier classes add +20 to level. It doesn't say that only applies to enemies, so I assume it goes both ways. And if it doesn't then holy shit, because she still can't really dodge worth anything.

I found an Entrap staff in my staff store, so if I can Entrap their Entrapper I can probably win. Assuming nothing completely insane shows up in later waves that is.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »
I got the Birthright with Conquest digtal download along the map pack 1 dlc the other day so here's my castle address if you want Quartz and Rice, I'm not that far yet since I've been grinding supports and levels with the Boo Camp already married my avatar to Jakob (COME AT ME BRO) trying to get Subaki and Hana to marry friggin S rank support just pop up already:

Castle Name: Ft. Duckie
09016-45808
88264-99717
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:31:50 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
I FINALLY beat Castle Battle 2. Took me probably like a dozen tries. Normally I wouldn't restart when someone dies, but it felt shitty to lose a character to a non-story mission. I even missed a disproportionate number of 80%+ accuracy attacks that time, but I didn't miss either Entrapment I tried to do. I broke my Entrapment staff, but it was worth it. Got tons of experience.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 12:36:16 AM »
I even missed a disproportionate number of 80%+ accuracy attacks

The memories... The pain...
I'm remembering the last level of Birthright (which wasn't that hard, but I was using two units because I felt like it and because the rest would've died due to undertraining). I ended up getting hit by 5 24% attacks in a row, and getting finished by a 4%er. The rage was real.

But that's Fire Emblem for ya.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:22:35 AM by Hikari »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »
Okay, so I don't really know how to beat stage 19 of Conquest on this difficulty. Aside from playing it over and over and over and praying for perfect RNG, anyway. There's one specific spot on the map that's so exploitative of the game's mechanics that I seriously can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. It's basically a cluster of enemies that you can't break without losing units, and probably a lot of them. I thought maybe I could just sneak past it and take out the boss, but nope, you have to kill everything. If the enemies were stupid enough to impale themselves on my tanks like in other Fire Emblems I might have a chance, but as it stands the specific way that the enemies are tweaked to be as powerful as conceivably possible for their level is really throwing me for a loop right now.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2016, 01:38:44 AM »
Hmm... Usually in that case you can find a square that only 4 units can threaten, and then shove either a higher DEF or high Avo unit there, who is getting supported by a S/A+ rank unit to boost the Avo and Crit rate further.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:19 AM »
Not story spoilers, just the mechanics of the level.

Spoiler:
I haven't been able to get that to work yet. The gimmick of this level is that the enemies change states periodically between being invincible and unable to attack (but still able to move) and able to attack but vulnerable. This means that once you've provoked a group of them into moving they can just run past your front line and into the middle of your group (often while still invincible) and start slaughtering support units. And they will. They won't even attack units they can't hurt, so defensive walls don't stop them. Most of them can move through enemy units so you can't block them by standing in the way. And on top of that they have extremely min/maxed stats with insanely high speed and damage augmented by abilities that boost their damage even further. Their high speed also means that even when you can attack them taking them out is just a matter of praying to the RNG, meaning bad luck can kill you suddenly even very late into the stage.

That's still semi-manageable for the most part since you can provoke small groups of them and intercept them on their way to your back line while kiting them, but there's a large group of them in the center of the map that all moves together and their invincibility phases aren't synced, so you can never attack more than half of them at once. They're the ones I'm having trouble with right now. And it doesn't help that a majority of them do bonus damage to mounted units, and mounted units are extremely common in the Nohr campaign so I have even fewer tanks than usual.

I'm sure I'll figure something out, but this is a real puzzle. I've been straight-up party wiped by them a couple of times now.

Edit: Okay, I figured it out, but it wasn't pretty.

Spoiler:
I made a turtle by surrounding Elise with four pairs of sturdy units and moved it into their territory. I had to involve Xander who took extra damage from their Beastbane, but I kept him to the back. The Kitsune surrounded the turtle and started attacking the weak points, but I managed to kill a few off with counterattacks and keep people afloat with Elise. Unfortunately a couple of them just wouldn't die, dodging five or six ~60% hits in a row, and they eventually broke off and started heading for my weak units who were hiding in the far corner of the map. I couldn't break formation to chase them because that would expose Elise to the couple who were still attacking the turtle.

If the two that broke off from the back had arrived at my hiding place during their invincible turns I would have lost three characters, but I got really lucky and they were vulnerable by the time they got in range. Fortunately they were already weakened by splashes from Camilla's Savage Blow, so Nyx and my underleveled Laslow and Kanna managed to just barely take them down with some shaky-accuracy weak attacks.

Oof. Now watch me die on the boss.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:47:04 AM by commandercool »

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »
That...sounds pretty intense, commandercool. o.o How unlucky were you with levelups, btw?

Also, relevant (spoilers?).

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »
Yeah, I think it's fair to say Conquest on hard is pretty intense. Which is fun most of the time, but occasionally they go too far* and become annoying.

As for level ups, I couldn't even guess at this point. I've died enough times that I had many, many level ups that didn't ultimately count so it's hard to keep track. All I know for sure is that Arthur, true to his bad Luck stat, has had a lot of bad ones. Other than that I assume average overall.

*It's worth noting that as "going too far" goes, this game has not resorted to Awakening's bullshit "spawn a bunch of surprise enemies out of the middle of the map next to your support units" tactics even once. For all of the occasional min-max abuse and unfair level gimmicks Conquest has it keeps enemy spawns completely fair and square, at least so far. I would much rather have this than that, so good. Another way in which this is a superior game to Awakening so far.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:35:15 PM by commandercool »

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Castle invasions must be hella hard to pull off, especially if the defenders have like top level units and maxed out buildings everywhere, because I keep getting invaded every once in a while and just WINNING all the time.

I mean, when the buildings have like +30 to hit/avoid/crit/dodge, it'd be a pain to just go in and fight, but I have like half of my units puppy guarding the entrance! (Namely Keaton right at the front, whom is a straight up guard dog) I mean like yikes.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
I would like to get this game at some point, but I have to ask...On a scale of 1 (awful) to 5 (great), how good would you guys say the writing and story are? I heard that the US version got shafted in localization, but someone else said that the JP version's writing wasn't as good either...So want to know: is it a universally good or bad thing, or is one region better than the other?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »
Haven't finished it yet so J can't speak for the ending and I've only seen the story for Conquest, but I'd call it a 2.5 or 3 so far. That's about par for Fire Emblem games, or maybe a little higher. But endings count for a lot so that could change.

What it comes down to really is that a lot of the drama of Fire Emblem games, especially the modern ones, is self-created. The most interesting bits of the story are all based on character interactions, be they in-game textual stuff or imagined based on how you use the characters and for what. And I'd say that stuff is as strong as ever if not stronger. The characters are great and the ways you can get them to interact are very good, which boosts my overall estimation of the game's fiction beyond what the actual story can provide at this point.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
I would like to get this game at some point, but I have to ask...On a scale of 1 (awful) to 5 (great), how good would you guys say the writing and story are? I heard that the US version got shafted in localization, but someone else said that the JP version's writing wasn't as good either...So want to know: is it a universally good or bad thing, or is one region better than the other?
Well, I actually watched the first half dozen chapters on youtube today for the first time and I thought the writing was really bad. Then again, I'm playing FE7 right now (the one with Eliwood). If you're looking for strong writing, definitely go play that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
Conquest stage 21 is one of the harshest levels in any strategy RPG I've ever seen. It's not hard per se, but unless I did it really wrong it's basically a "how bad did you fuck up reaching this point" check where you just straight-up lose the game if certain units are already dead. And it's fairly RNG-heavy to boot.

Spoiler:
Basically you find an endlessly respawning army of ridiculously strong monsters who can drain the health of your entire team just by being near you, and the only chance you have is to reach certain safe points in the maze-like map at exactly the right times. The thing is, these safe points only work if you reach them with royal units, so if you don't have Camilla and Xander you're basically fucked as far as I can tell since several of them are pretty far apart. And to make matters worse there are super-long-range, super-hard-hitting golems sprinkled throughout the map who are too sturdy to practically kill as you sprint through the level, which means the further along you get the more of them will be attacking you every turn. You basically just have to pray they miss since you don't get a ton of opportunities to heal and they can one-shot some units.

The victory condition is just to reach the far side of the map, and because you need to move fast you're effectively restricted to only bringing mounted units and a partner for each of them and nothing else. And Elise is not an option since she WILL be one-shotted by a golem eventually. You absolutely can't win by brute force because the enemies tend to get clumped together into huge piles by the map design, which means if you try you'll inevitably end up fighting fifteen super-powerful Faceless at the same time at a chokepoint. I just barely squeaked past in my third or fourth run on a coin flip where Camilla could have died if a golem had hit her she would have died, but I got lucky and made it with everyone intact. I'm pretty sure if I had lost Camilla in an earlier stage I would have had to restart my entire game or be stuck here forever, the requirements on this stage are that harsh.

To some degree having a bunch of Blessed weapons would help since they constantly heal you which means you're more likely to make it to the end without getting ground down, and they're super effective against every enemy in the stage. But I only had a couple, and the ones that are in the store right now don't work for any of the extremely specific subset of units the game wanted me to bring to this level. Maybe having a few more very powerful mounted units would make it easier, and I suspect an extremely well-fed Camilla and avatar with a Blessed Axe might be able to run through the entire stage solo, but regardless, this seemed needlessly cruel.

It's also entirely possible I was just doing it wrong and there's some obvious strategy that I missed. If that's the case please let me know, but I don't see it.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
Conquest stage 21 is one of the harshest levels in any strategy RPG I've ever seen. It's not hard per se, but unless I did it really wrong it's basically a "how bad did you fuck up reaching this point" check where you just straight-up lose the game if certain units are already dead. And it's fairly RNG-heavy to boot.

Spoiler:
Basically you find an endlessly respawning army of ridiculously strong monsters who can drain the health of your entire team just by being near you, and the only chance you have is to reach certain safe points in the maze-like map at exactly the right times. The thing is, these safe points only work if you reach them with royal units, so if you don't have Camilla and Xander you're basically fucked as far as I can tell since several of them are pretty far apart. And to make matters worse there are super-long-range, super-hard-hitting golems sprinkled throughout the map who are too sturdy to practically kill as you sprint through the level, which means the further along you get the more of them will be attacking you every turn. You basically just have to pray they miss since you don't get a ton of opportunities to heal and they can one-shot some units.

The victory condition is just to reach the far side of the map, and because you need to move fast you're effectively restricted to only bringing mounted units and a partner for each of them and nothing else. And Elise is not an option since she WILL be one-shotted by a golem eventually. You absolutely can't win by brute force because the enemies tend to get clumped together into huge piles by the map design, which means if you try you'll inevitably end up fighting fifteen super-powerful Faceless at the same time at a chokepoint. I just barely squeaked past in my third or fourth run on a coin flip where Camilla could have died if a golem had hit her she would have died, but I got lucky and made it with everyone intact. I'm pretty sure if I had lost Camilla in an earlier stage I would have had to restart my entire game or be stuck here forever, the requirements on this stage are that harsh.

To some degree having a bunch of Blessed weapons would help since they constantly heal you which means you're more likely to make it to the end without getting ground down, and they're super effective against every enemy in the stage. But I only had a couple, and the ones that are in the store right now don't work for any of the extremely specific subset of units the game wanted me to bring to this level. Maybe having a few more very powerful mounted units would make it easier, and I suspect an extremely well-fed Camilla and avatar with a Blessed Axe might be able to run through the entire stage solo, but regardless, this seemed needlessly cruel.

It's also entirely possible I was just doing it wrong and there's some obvious strategy that I missed. If that's the case please let me know, but I don't see it.

Spoiler:
Bring only 4 units, 2 flyers (Beruka/Camilla), Corrin, and Asura. Run past everything, using your 3 royal units to freeze all the enemies.

Then again, at that point I went full "Fuck it" mode and just stopped caring about getting exp

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2016, 05:41:04 AM »
Spoiler:
Bring only 4 units, 2 flyers (Beruka/Camilla), Corrin, and Asura. Run past everything, using your 3 royal units to freeze all the enemies.

Then again, at that point I went full "Fuck it" mode and just stopped caring about getting exp

Spoiler:
I don't even have three flying units anymore. All I have left is Camilla. Beruka died a while ago. And Niles to draw fire I'm pretty sure any flying units I did bring would get shredded by golems before I could make it to the top. Maybe the golems are less of a problem if you can just fly from one dragon vein to the next, I don't remember how their coverage overlaps those, but I think it's at least some.

And yeah, I didn't really get any experience from that stage either. Got a little from the kills that you have to get to clear the way for non-flying units and a few stray kills with Niles while he was taking potshots to charge up his shield meter to tank golem hits, but not much. If you could pull off actually winning the combat on that chapter the experience would probably be incredible.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
Spoiler:
I don't even have three flying units anymore. All I have left is Camilla. Beruka died a while ago. And Niles to draw fire I'm pretty sure any flying units I did bring would get shredded by golems before I could make it to the top. Maybe the golems are less of a problem if you can just fly from one dragon vein to the next, I don't remember how their coverage overlaps those, but I think it's at least some.

And yeah, I didn't really get any experience from that stage either. Got a little from the kills that you have to get to clear the way for non-flying units and a few stray kills with Niles while he was taking potshots to charge up his shield meter to tank golem hits, but not much. If you could pull off actually winning the combat on that chapter the experience would probably be incredible.

Spoiler:
Not really, the enemies that spawn actually don't give exp

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »
Spoiler:
Not really, the enemies that spawn actually don't give exp

Spoiler:
Fair point, but I actually wasn't even thinking about trying to grind out infinite experience. There are a lot of enemies on the map already and they seemed like they were paying out a lot. But wading through a bunch of similarly tough amd numerous monsters that give nothing makes actually taking advantage of that even more unlikely.