Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Fates - More waifu, more husbando, more sales!  (Read 105965 times)

PX

• School Idol?
Re: So, The New Fire Emblem Game Just Released...
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
I spent like an hour or 150 odds turns grinding out Azura in Chapter 5 Lunatic. Only for Corrin to get 2 shotted a bit later :getdown:

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2016, 11:21:37 PM »
Thus is the nature of Fire Emblem :derp:

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »
Chapter 13 of Birthright:

Spoiler:
Fucking Leo, why'd he have to take Camilla? I wanted that! I was so close to getting her to join my team!

Edit: Does getting an A+ support exclude you from getting an S support, or is Jakob just extremely stubborn? I've been trying to get him to marry Azura forever, who's already at A+ support with Sakura, but he won't do it. The wording is very misleading if it does work like that.

Edit edit: Never mind, he was just being stubborn. They married now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:30:01 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
Chapter 13 of Birthright:

Spoiler:
Fucking Leo, why'd he have to take Camilla? I wanted that! I was so close to getting her to join my team!

Edit: Does getting an A+ support exclude you from getting an S support, or is Jakob just extremely stubborn? I've been trying to get him to marry Azura forever, who's already at A+ support with Sakura, but he won't do it. The wording is very misleading if it does work like that.

Edit edit: Never mind, he was just being stubborn. They married now.

That`s Fire Emblem alright, one Half: Merciless RNG Turn-based Strategy Game, other Half: Shipping Simulator.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Merciless

Well, I mean... It is Birthright. It keeps letting me get away with shit I absolutely should not be doing. It is a merciful, merciful game.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
Well, I mean... It is Birthright. It keeps letting me get away with shit I absolutely should not be doing. It is a merciful, merciful game.

Then it must be redone, remake the whole RNG Mechanic, make it more frustating ! (Like PAD`s Desire Detector :V)
BTW, are you guys doing No-Casualties/Deaths Runs ?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
No. Although there are certain units I did reset for in Conquest. I don't think I could have won without a wyvern, a general, Azura, and Elise. Birthright gives so many spares and is so not demanding that I probably won't reset to save anyone at this point.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »
Would it give a lot of trouble if i tried said run ?

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »
That`s Fire Emblem alright, one Half: Merciless RNG Turn-based Strategy Game, other Half: Shipping Simulator.

Tbf, it wasn't that much of a shipping simulator until Awakening. :v And getting units to marry was a lot more annoying until then. In my Iron Man run of FE8, I hardly bothered with support grinding.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2016, 03:20:52 AM »
Would it give a lot of trouble if i tried said run ?

Depends on the difficulty. It would just be kind of tedious, but I don't really see the point in it. If you want the game to be harder, play on a harder difficulty. If you don't have the stomach for it, play on one of the modes where you can't lose units. I'm not sure why you would create that constraint for yourself when any reason to do so is already covered by the game in some other way.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2016, 03:27:09 AM »
So the game already has said mode ? Even better, i want every one to live, while having the highest difficulty possible, now all i need is the actual game here in Brazil. :V (Even though sometimes they die anyway, looking at you Canas, although you died for a noble cause *Bows*)

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
So the game already has said mode ? Even better, i want every one to live, while having the highest difficulty possible, now all i need is the actual game here in Brazil. :V (Even though sometimes they die anyway, looking at you Canas, although you died for a noble cause *Bows*)

The game does not have a mode where you fail if you lose units, as that's what I felt was implied, but it does have "Pheonix Mode", in which dead units revive on the next turn. In my mind, that's BS, but hey, if you don't want them to die, you don't want them to die. The highest difficulty would be Lunatic, in which strategies that would normally work in Hard suddenly don't work in the slightest, so you need to make tile-precise movements to aggro units away from your backline, considering that in Lunatic, the enemies will do anything to make you rage, and then they will kill all of your squishiest units.

I did a Lunatic run in Awakening, and... boy. That was a pain. I didn't finish it, for the record. I got stuck on Chapter 5 or something.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
No I didn't mean there was a mode where the game ends if anyone dies, sorry if my wording was misleading.

If I'm not mistaken there's a middle ground between normal Fire Emblem and Phoenix Mode too. I believe Casual is a mode where units disappear from the map when defeated, but you don't lose them and can select them again in the next chapter. Is that right? That seems like the one to go with if you're looking to never lose anyone.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »
Had some time to play during Anime Boston while waiting in line for my umpteenth turn on the Initial D cabinets. Completed chapters 14 and 15 in Birthright which give you ample opportunity to level up due to the presence of dragon veins that break the stages wide open. I hit just about everyone's first class level cap at the same time at just about the same time I began S ranking supports. Wound up completing a couple paralogues as a result.

The way kids work out in this game is shoehorned in to hell and back and I really think some more thought should have been put into this, but oh well. At least IS hit that checkbox that came out of a marketing meeting. I just wonder if the character design departments could've gotten more mileage out of their work.

Regardless, it's providing new characters to consider while others fall to the wayside. Rinkah never improved and Hana slowly became a liability. Meanwhile, Oboro and Hinata were nice surprises in many ways and snuck into the roster. Each change results in others, and I never wind up with the bunch I was anticipating. Adjusting it happens every time I play these games and the process never stops being engaging.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:16 PM »
Wow, Hoshido Noble seems like a way crappier class than Nohr Noble. Although ironically it might have been nice to have around in Conquest just because defensive units were really important. Still wouldn't trade Nohr Noble's class features for it, but it would have made a kickass offspring or something. Although I still don't know what Hoshido Noble gets at level 15, Nohrian Trust is kind of chumpy.

Had some time to play during Anime Boston while waiting in line for my umpteenth turn on the Initial D cabinets.

Ha ha I think I was playing Fire Emblem waiting in line for those very same cabinets nine days ago when they were in Lansing, assuming the same people are managing the game room there that did Shuto Con here.

Reddyne

« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
Wow, Hoshido Noble seems like a way crappier class than Nohr Noble. Although ironically it might have been nice to have around in Conquest just because defensive units were really important. Still wouldn't trade Nohr Noble's class features for it, but it would have made a kickass offspring or something. Although I still don't know what Hoshido Noble gets at level 15, Nohrian Trust is kind of chumpy.

Ha ha I think I was playing Fire Emblem waiting in line for those very same cabinets nine days ago when they were in Lansing, assuming the same people are managing the game room there that did Shuto Con here.
I think my Corrin is swapping classes for all 3 routes! It's up to Kana to take up the Hoshido/Nohr Noble class for me.

Also the group that brings the Initial D cabinets to these things is a group called Tokyo Attack. They're actually going to be in Dearborn in a few weeks if you're so inclined.

EDIT: Quick question: I noticed that I'm about halfway through Birthright and that maps have capped out at 12 deployable units. Does this number increase, or does it stay at about this limit? I'd like to see who may or may not be available for the late game.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:11:15 PM by Reddyne »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
The castle battles were probably the hardest fights in Conquest for me (although admittedly I didn't minmax very much with accessories and shit), and hooooly shit are they easier in Birthright. I know I'm a broken record at this point, but the brick stupid enemy AI is extremely exploitable.

I won the second battle in one turn by hiding all of my buildings at the top of the map, parking Ryoma near the south enemy starting area, and letting every single one of them impale themselves on his Vantage. The later waves never even spawned. That's a little unfortunate becaise they're worth a lot of experience, but it's not like I have a deficit of that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:57:56 PM by commandercool »

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there's a middle ground between normal Fire Emblem and Phoenix Mode too. I believe Casual is a mode where units disappear from the map when defeated, but you don't lose them and can select them again in the next chapter. Is that right? That seems like the one to go with if you're looking to never lose anyone.

Bit late on the uptake (so much PAD...), but yes, that is what Casual does. Friendly Units (not Allied Units) will retreat instead of die.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:27 AM »
So I'm not done with Birthright yet and I haven't started Revelation, but I've been thinking as I'm playing through Birthright about how there's what I'd consider to be an extremely important bit of story buried in a support conversation in Conquest. It's not absolutely plot-essential or anything, but I think it considerably recolors how I look at a certain important part of the story.

There's a support conversation between (I think) Elise and Leo in which
Spoiler:
Leo describes how Garon was before he was possessed. He talks about how Garon used to give him piggy back rides all the time and was a total lady's man with women fighting over him. As far as I'm concerned this makes the whole game a shade more compelling since it elevates Garon out of cartoonish Fire Emblem villainy and into being someone who I no longer really want to kill. When the Nohr cast balks at having to kill him I sort of understand why now. Incidentally it also potentially casts a little light on Elise's age since she doesn't remember any of this, meaning that I think she's considerably younger than the English localization wants me to think she is...

It's a shame that that detail got buried in a place where not everyone will see it. Are there any other very important (at least to you) pieces of backstory with relevance to the entire plot in any other support conversations? Now I'm wondering what major details I may have missed.

Edit: OH WHAT CANDACE IS AMAZING. I just saw her in a paralogue and had to look it up to see how to get her.
Spoiler:
You have to use Capture, which I always forget exists.
A+, going on my main team now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:37:06 AM by commandercool »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2016, 01:25:13 AM »
EDIT: Quick question: I noticed that I'm about halfway through Birthright and that maps have capped out at 12 deployable units. Does this number increase, or does it stay at about this limit? I'd like to see who may or may not be available for the late game.
I'm almost done with Birthright.  Maps let you go up to around 15-16 at the end.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2016, 05:34:08 AM »
In doing further research on how Capture works I just noticed that the barbarian brothers in Kana's chapter are named Lloyd and Llewelyn. Was someone on the localization team a big Daniel Clowes fan or something?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2016, 05:36:49 AM »
Just finished Birthright on hard classic. Only lost a single unit during the whole game, it was Jakob. I'm not suuuure I would recommend playing both games honestly. This one did have some different stuff
Spoiler:
including shades of that stuff about what Garon was like before he got possessed that I mentioned before
but not enough to justify my 30-hour investment. That might change after I play Revelation, but for now my diagnosis is that it's safe to pick the game you think fits you best and just play that one, and branch out if you really want to, but don't feel like you have to if you don't. There are definitely important plot points that are only present in one game (
Spoiler:
Garona and Takumi's possessions are only fleshed out in Conquest, Azura's song is only really referenced in Birthright
).

There are still just a couple of unanswered questions (
Spoiler:
What happens when we complete the Fire Emblem? Who was the other person who visited the Rainbow Sage? Why is Azura such an unnecessarily mysterious douchebag? I guess where did the demons who possessed Garon and Takumi come from and how do we prevent that from happening again?
). I don't actually care about any of those things, so the biggest draw for Revelation seems to be that we can see what happens when the two casts meet and try some different combinations of support conversations.

I honestly didn't really enjoy Birthright that much. It sort of reminded me of Awakening in the sense that I didn't really feel very accomplished because the game was flooding me with so many resources that it didn't feel like my decisions really mattered. And with a few exceptions I didn't like the cast nearly as much. It's certainly not bad, but it felt a little hollow. I wonder if I would have felt differently if I had played them in the other order, but I think I've played enough Fire Emblems that I probably wouldn't.

Downloading Revelation now. Onward to the next one!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:42:11 AM by commandercool »

Reddyne

« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2016, 04:53:32 PM »
ACK. I'm just up to 19 in Birthright, although I've done most of the the paralogues I care to do. Everyone has hit their advanced class and I am thoroughly stomping over everything. With Bravely Second coming out in a week, I'm a bit eager to steamroll the rest, but figure I'll wait until I'm truly done and then start it after. Dunno how I'll work Conquest and Revelations into my schedule just yet, but it'll happen, and I look forward to the difficulty boost. And Arthur. And Odin.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2016, 03:00:41 AM »
Is it just me or are Beruka and Selena supposed to be Rei and Asuka from Evangelion?

The spoiler section below doesn't contain any plot spoilers, it's just my opinion on the mechanics of the early parts of Revelation, but I tagged it in case anyone wants to remain completely blind on Revelation.

Spoiler:
The first few chapters are really irritating. They take Birthright mechanics (including minimal difficulty) but Conquest design (you can only use a few characters, the stages are slow and puzzle-like with weird mechanics) and combine them in the worst possible way. On top of that you only get Birthright units for quite a few chapters, which I wasn't thrilled about. Even in the later chapters the cast from both sides trickles in slowly, meaning it might take a long time to get your favorites back. The actual level design picks up after a point though, with the difficulty ramping up to the point that the gratuitous resources you get don't feel completely wasted at least, and the chapter length gets considerably shorter. I'm only on chapter 14 though, so anything could happen.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2016, 04:36:12 AM »
Is it just me or are Beruka and Selena supposed to be Rei and Asuka from Evangelion?
I did not think of that before but that seems like an apt description of those two! Does this make Camilla Misato?

This kind of makes me curious as to what other possible expies exist within the game! I know Peri is a pretty clear expy to Harley Quinn, or at least that archetype of character.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2016, 06:23:51 PM »
I don't think they meant to directly reference Eva of all things, it's just a byproduct of archetype machine.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
The hair colors and style are a pretty close match, which is the only reason I say that. I know it's an archetype and the archetype even often includes hair, but everything lines up. And given the other bizarre references present I'd say it's not impossible.

Reddyne

« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
Crashed headlong into trouble in Shigure and Mitama's paralogues, where Sakura got doubled by an Adventurer's silver bow and Hisame was on the receiving side to a critical from a berserker. It was actually quite refreshing. These fell into the 1/4th of resets I've had where I lost because I did not plan or scout ahead properly. The other 3/4ths have been RNG shenanigans and the FE equivalent of "what does this button do?!" Still making progress but still don't know if I'll be ready to finish by the time Bravely Second is at my doorstep.

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Meanwhile, chugging along through Conquest still...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
I'm getting pretty close to the end of Revelation. Elements of it are pretty stupid honestly, but the balance hits a fairly nice stride.

I married Camilla, pseudo-incest be damned. Unsurprisingly the entire proposal conversation is both parties just going "So this is okay, right?". I've got a pleasing symmetry thing going on where Corrin and Camilla are married, they're both best friends with their principal retainers (Beruka and Kaze), those retainers are married to each-other, and both of them are the recipients of special class items with Kaze as a Dread Fighter to cover Corrin's horrible Resist and Beruka as a Dark Flier to take out archers before they can get to Camilla.

I'm actually using Midori this time, and she is fucking adorable. Inheriting Lunge has made her an amazing tech unit, and by the time she gets Replicate she's going to be a serious nightmare with a Saizo's Star. Replicate is scary. It reminds me of Summon, arguably the most broken mechanic in any Fire Emblem game, but at least it's high-risk to go with the high reward.