Author Topic: 東方魔宝城 (Touhou Mahoujou) ~ Book of Star Mythology  (Read 74936 times)

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
Re: 東方魔宝城 (Touhou Mahoujou) ~ Book of Star Mythology
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2016, 02:43:28 AM »
Perfect final boss fight on Lunatic attached.
(not a full stage perfect though, only the fight)

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2016, 04:02:54 AM »
Perfect final boss fight on Lunatic attached.
(not a full stage perfect though, only the fight)

Have you managed to capture that one spell in stage 4 on Lunatic yet? The one where you get trapped.

--

Seriously though these patterns are just bizarre. Like there are some things in this game I honestly can't see being done consistently. Though I suspect perhaps there's secrets behind all these mysterious patterns.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2016, 05:12:14 AM »
Anything on stage 4 is annoying and I cannot cap them consistently to save my life.
That being said, I've capped everything but the shield spell and the last word on the demo so there's that.

I'm mostly just super happy my precious Shelia shotgun strats are untouched. Hooray for scorerunning.
Stage 4 feels both easier and harder though, it's definitely the bane of my scorerunning as it stands so lets see if I can get through it a lot better overall and start scoring in this game again.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2016, 05:18:43 AM »

Neat, 1cced Lunatic with SanaeA.
This game is actually really hard. The Stage 4 boss is utter stupidity and the final boss is also pretty dumb. Stage 5 boss, for some reason, is actually really easy. Huh.
Recording the replay now.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2016, 06:13:40 AM »
Stage 5 boss is easy?

I struggled a lot both times I tried but I still need to attempt more so maybe it's not hard to figure out after a few.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2016, 06:42:30 AM »
Yeah, she's not that bad to figure out, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbIaF3lvuE
Here's the run.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2016, 06:45:41 AM »
It's a shame that the difficulty peaked at Ichiyou (stage 4 boss) and just declined from there. Honestly the last boss is a piece of cake in comparison.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »
Yeah, final boss has relatively simple patterns. While the Stage 4 boss is just...utter pain.

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2016, 06:58:07 AM »
After playing a few times on Lunatic, SanaeA still steamrolls through spellcards. I attempted to play through with MarisaA, and I actually have to dodge things...which generally gets me hit or forced to bomb. Just to make sure I could actually do it, I captured all of the stage 5 and stage 6 spellcards on Lunatic, save the last one.

Messed up my MarisaA Lunatic 1cc right before the Last Word, but I had a total of 13 lives and too many bombs to count. Though some parts are harder, it feels like the game throws you too many resources. Even the last spells of stage 6 aren't invincible to bombs, so you can bomb the whole game with great success.

Edit: Before the stage 6 final spell is declared, that portion cannot be bombed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:25:31 AM by FleetingGaze »

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »

10bil Sanae A Lunatic clear.

Could do soooooo much better but stage 4 is where score runs go to die and stage 5 was also a mess. Very nice stage 6 though considering it's only day 1.

EDIT: SanaeA Normal 10.7bil no death clear. 11bil should be possible, as this was a very basic first try. Replay attached.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:49:05 AM by ZoomyTsugumi »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1WvKqt14I

I figured out that impossible spell in stage 4...

Pruns

• Dearest wish, hide this stupid nickname set below
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »
I have the feel that Ido want to do something less difficult in order to let the player care about aesthetic. It's a succed, the game is pretty well designed form the beginning to the end
Stage 5 theme and stage 6 theme are both really good, final boss one too
Am I the only who get raped by new versions of old spellcards on stage 2/3/4 ?

Lunatic 1CC first try for people who are interested ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6pC_HNQRw

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
Am I the only who get raped by new versions of old spellcards on stage 2/3/4 ?

Haha nope. For people who played the demo, the first 3 spells of stage 2 are essentially just trolling. Stage 3's change wasn't that bad, and stage 4's always been weird to handle.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2016, 10:05:52 PM »
So I saw this and was like "this looks cool, maybe I'll try it and see what happens"

then I got to the second boss and got bad flashbacks of the squirrel from MPP

then I got to the fourth boss and outright wanted a refund of my life back

I really wanted MarisaB the game to be good, too, but at risk of sounding petulant, I don't see myself having the motivation to do much with this one.  :/

(Memo to game designers everywhere:  Ninjas and shirukens are bad ideas nearly all the time)

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
So I saw this and was like "this looks cool, maybe I'll try it and see what happens"

then I got to the second boss and got bad flashbacks of the squirrel from MPP

then I got to the fourth boss and outright wanted a refund of my life back

I really wanted MarisaB the game to be good, too, but at risk of sounding petulant, I don't see myself having the motivation to do much with this one.  :/

(Memo to game designers everywhere:  Ninjas and shirukens are bad ideas nearly all the time)
If it makes you feel better, the only bad part is the stage four boss. Everything else is reasonable.
Also Marisa B is not the best survival type but for a shotgun essential scoring system she is brilliant and powers through the first 3 stages with ease. Sadly the last two stages give her a lot more trouble, but maybe I just need to route it better. Just figure out how to be right next to anything and she's suddenly really good (her unfocused shot shooting around her sides as well is immensely useful).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1WvKqt14I

I figured out that impossible spell in stage 4...
Nice job! Maybe this route can help me save an extra bomb on a scorerun.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
If it makes you feel better, the only bad part is the stage four boss. Everything else is reasonable.
Also Marisa B is not the best survival type but for a shotgun essential scoring system she is brilliant and powers through the first 3 stages with ease. Sadly the last two stages give her a lot more trouble, but maybe I just need to route it better. Just figure out how to be right next to anything and she's suddenly really good (her unfocused shot shooting around her sides as well is immensely useful).
The Stage 2 boss sucks too, although MarisaB does hilarious things to her Last Word.  Like what is this midboss card (although it looks like MarisaB can kill it earlier than other shot types).

It's all fun and games for the first three stages, but then the entire second half of the game is not friendly to people who can't do good damage at range; the last two bosses are clearly not designed with MariB in mind (it's really hard to stop the Stage 6 boss from flattening you under Saturn, and the last Last Word goes on more or less forever).  At least "Marisa"'s card is really, really easy.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
Stage 2 boss isn't too bad, the mid card is weird but I'm used to bombing it, however I think i remember it just being about circling around her (but maybe it got changed since the demo). She's really just about learning how the cards work and the strategies kinda fall into play.

But yeah I agree with the sentiment of ranged damage is OP, which is why I've switched to being a huge fan of SanAe. It sucks that the last half screwed over MariB so bad, She would've had some of the highest score potential out of all the shots :( At least SanAe is downright fantastic now. Kinda forgotten about any other shottype haha.

Das

• w e w
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2016, 04:16:25 AM »
lunatic 1cc sanaeA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YcZtDXj7J4&feature=youtu.be)

idk what i did but i did something.

any clue on what this means?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:29:09 PM by Das »

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2016, 04:44:34 AM »
idk what i did but i did something.
any clue on what this means?

You have achieved.... Spica Rank!! Nice job.
"You are a danmaku maiden worthy of representing Gensokyo. You are deserving of this, the name of the star that decorates spring nights."

Ranks are awarded based on score and number of deaths. Apparently there's some really high secret ranks for Super Special Players too.

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »
Truth be told one of the reasons this game feels easy is because it gives you so many damn resources.  I've died three times before stage 4 and still 1cc'd hard on my first try just fine.

I have to say the patterns are amazing though, and I loved the new characters' designs!  These devs sure got a good grasp of what a danmaku fangame is like!  I'm looking forward to more titles from them!

And the extra stage, of course.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
Normal Sanae A No death 1cc 11.8bil replay attached.

This excites me, 12bil has got to be possible now. I wonder if trading star items for spell bonuses are beneficial towards the end of the game. I know stage 6 in this run could have probably used some work as well as stage 5 but man I wonder just how much further this could go.

Also as far as I understand this is the SSS rank effectively, but apparently there's still one higher? dunno, how would you even achieve that.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Ah, playing this was so fun. I love stage 2 boss patterns, pretty imppresive actually.
Anyway, stage 5 boss is honestly a pain for me; I guess I'll need more practice against her.

Junky

• Just Another Scripter
  • *external screams*
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »
How do people have access to clean images of the new bosses?
Anyone can be amazing at danmakufu. I believe in you! Push yourself to become the greatest!

(One day I'll become the greatest danmakufu scripter that there ever was.
...Got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go.)

« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
Hey, cute!  I just realized that the last boss' final spell is a callback on Riverbed Soul Saver and Mystical Power Plant's final spells.

Nnnot too sure if the first phase is supposed to reference anything from The Last Comer, since it's been forever last time I played it.  Anyone knows if it's also supposed to be something from it?

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
When fighting the stages 5 and 6 bosses, my impression was that they were characters from The World Ends With You. You see that late-game bosses like to add background parts for aesthetic and sometimes practical effects (e.g. Byakuren's lotus, Miko's not-lotus, not-butterfly saint aura). But these ones in particular strike me as different.

(credits to wikia)

Final boss clearly has the Reapers' tattoo-like dark wings. Stage 5's must remind me mostly because of the dark colors, but her (dark) foxes looks like a tattoo design even when it isn't the same kind as the Noises' bodies.

Probably it's all coincidence.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:15:13 PM by Maple »

Das

• w e w
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YcZtDXj7J4&feature=youtu.be

Luna 1cc video, SanaeA is pretty powerful.

Excited for when Extra comes out

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
Nnnot too sure if the first phase is supposed to reference anything from The Last Comer, since it's been forever last time I played it.  Anyone knows if it's also supposed to be something from it?

The first phase of
Spoiler:
Fuma's
last spell is referencing the final phase of Ieusa's last spell
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Scrubby release-day lunatic 1cc with SanaeB. 14 misses, 0/0 finish.

I subsequently got a much better run with SanaeA, but I haven't gotten around to recording or uploading that yet. Oh well.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »

4.696b

Easy WR i suck at scoring xdxdxddxdxdddd
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:26:18 PM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
The first phase of
Spoiler:
Fuma's
last spell is referencing the final phase of Ieusa's last spell

Haah, I see!  Man that last spell is really cool, referencing the previous games' spellcards like that.