Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 47211 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #300 on: July 21, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
>Exchange handshakes.
>"Any idea how long these checks might take?"

« Reply #301 on: July 21, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
>Exchange handshakes.
>"Any idea how long these checks might take?"

>You exchange handshakes. Ringo's is surprisingly vigorous, if brief.
>"Wish I could tell ya. I'll try to be brief. I can't make any promises, but...." She sighs and shakes her head. "I'll try to figure something out."

« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »
>"Then I suppose I should let you get to it."

« Reply #303 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
>"Then I suppose I should let you get to it."

>She nods. "Right."

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
Sounds to me like this is as good a time as any to get the rest of the stuff that you need to make the antidote.

If nothing else, the dedication to shopping will make you look more genuine! >_>
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
Good plan. Plus, now that we know the route to Yuuka's, we can bring along anything we missed the first time. Like a sleeping bag or something similar.
Talking of which...

>Were there any items or tools in particular that we felt the absence of keenly during our voyage to Yuuka's?

« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »
>Were there any items or tools in particular that we felt the absence of keenly during our voyage to Yuuka's?

>You wouldn't have said no to a sleeping bag. Or better climbing gear, after that rather excruciating tumble off the cliff - not that you expect to have need of it on the return. Better divining or mapping implements would also have been nice, but again this should be less relevant on the second trip. But unless you can buy some kind of flying carpet that will let you sleep your way to Yuuka's without the strain of walking, you're not sure how much you can do to offset the worst part of this forthcoming ordeal with equipment.

« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
>How much do flying carpets go for this day and age?

« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
>How much do flying carpets go for this day and age?

>You don't even know if it would even be possible to find one that would work properly for a non-magician like yourself, and you can only imagine that it would cost a small fortune if you could. Though Val Razua is certainly the best place in the world to find magical trinkets and devices for sale, if you cared to shop around. There might be something useful to dig up.

« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
>Well first things first, we're going to need some money for the bits of the medicine we CAN get without rabbit help. So we should probably do that first.
>Didn't Neu mention a particular apothacary way back when?

« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2015, 11:25:26 PM »
>Well first things first, we're going to need some money for the bits of the medicine we CAN get without rabbit help. So we should probably do that first.
>Didn't Neu mention a particular apothacary way back when?

>That sounds like a sensible idea.
>Neu hesitated from calling it a true recommendation, but she did give you directions to an apothecary of 'mixed reputation, but unarguable skill', as she put it. Though, if you understand Professor Bosqueverde rightly, mixing the Athran's Vigor should not present any difficulties for any run-of-the-mill herbalist, even if some of its ingredients are eclectic enough to require some shopping around. You have no personal awareness of which of them are common and which are not, though she seemed confident you could find everything you needed somewhere in the city.

« Reply #311 on: July 22, 2015, 06:47:50 AM »
>What ingredients did we need?
>How close was that apothecary? Did we pass any other along the way or herbalists shop?

« Reply #312 on: July 22, 2015, 07:03:48 AM »
>What ingredients did we need?
>How close was that apothecary? Did we pass any other along the way or herbalists shop?

>Professor Bosqueverde's note mentions fresh arlan, essence of hawthorn, crushed sunthistle, honey, green vitriol, tannic acid, silver dust, an eagle feather, and bull's blood - at the very least. But there are more than a handful of technical specifications that mean little to you; you might need a proper herbalist to interpret them, if only to ensure that you get the precisely correct ingredients.
>The apothecary Neu mentioned is on the north end of town. You didn't notice passing any others along the way, though your awareness is poor at best today and you were focused on other things. You're not altogether far from that herbalist you visited the last time you were in town, though.

« Reply #313 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:36 AM »
>Closeness is a virtue. Let's head there, then.

« Reply #314 on: July 22, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
>Closeness is a virtue. Let's head there, then.

>You return to the gatehouse and retrieve your weapons from the guard, securing Kumokirimaru by your side once more; even if your life no longer rests upon it in the moment, there's something comforting about its weight beside you. Then you depart Ozukitei and attempt to make your way to an herbalist.

>The trip is longer than you expected, or perhaps that's just the weight of your own body making every step feel like two. You fall into a sort of hazy reverie as you track westward, only peripherally aware of your surroundings and the unending flow of people and lives around you. You pass beyond the rows of mansions, though a broad avenue dotted with upscale boutiques, and eventually make your way past the university - the sight of its clock tower anchors your sense of position, though the route you took last week feels strangely indistinct. Twice you pause and struggle to recall which street you took to reach this shop, and even then are uncertain of the answer. So between your blurry vision and geographic confusion, you could be forgiven for not noticing the green-haired woman enthusiastically waving at you from down the road. But once she decides to add her voice to the mix, the result is unmistakable.
>"Yoo-hoo!"

« Reply #315 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
>Kyouko?

« Reply #316 on: July 22, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
>Kyouko?

>Without a doubt. You can barely make out her face at this distance, but there's no mistaking the familiar cheer in that voice.

« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
>Smile and wave.

« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
>Smile and wave.

>You smile and return Kyouko's wave - albeit with somewhat less vigor. The yamabiko closes the distance between you briskly, her smile shining brightly through the haze around her face.
>"Hi, Nazrin!" she says, then giggles slightly. "That's a funny kind of way to wear a scarf."

« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2015, 12:46:32 PM »
>"I've never been one to follow the crowd."
>"How've you been?"

« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
>"I've never been one to follow the crowd."
>"How've you been?"

>"Oh, pretty good!" she replies. "Busy, busy! My choir had a recital the night before last! The crowd was really big! Well, it wasn't really big," she adds a touch sheepishly. "We're just a small choir. But it was bigger than usual and everything went really well. It was fun."
>"How'd that business with the plant work out?"

« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
>Laugh quietly. "It's actually still going. If you've got time to kill, I can give you the story."

« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
>Laugh quietly. "It's actually still going. If you've got time to kill, I can give you the story."

>"Sure!" she says brightly. "Want to grab a bite to eat? I was just about to pop in somewhere, myself."

« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »
>If nothing else, we could use a drink. Or twenty.
>But wait, won't that activity show Kyouko our uglyness?

« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
>If nothing else, we could use a drink. Or twenty.
>But wait, won't that activity show Kyouko our uglyness?

>You imagine it's possible that eating would disturb the way your scarf is wrapped enough that it might no longer provide adequate coverage of the blight; it's a bit hard to say without trying it near a mirror.

« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
>Then again, Kyouko saw the blight before, didn't she?

« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
>Then again, Kyouko saw the blight before, didn't she?

>You were careful last time you met to never actually let on that you were even sick. You'd chalked the bittercress you were carting around to a time-sensitive job on behalf of a client in Easthaven. Which... was only sort of a lie, you suppose....

« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
>Terrific.
>Are we hungry, anyway?
>Regardless, "Sounds like a plan. I have a little time to play with."

« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
>Terrific.
>Are we hungry, anyway?
>Regardless, "Sounds like a plan. I have a little time to play with."

>You haven't eaten for quite a while. Your stomach seems more ambivalent about the idea of food than you'd expect, but you really ought to eat something.
>The girl's ears flutter. "A little time to play with!" Then she puts a finger to her chin. "Hmmm... I think I'm in the mood for a sandwich. How about we drop in over there?"
>She points to... actually, you can't really tell what she's pointing to, aside from 'a business down the road'.
>"It's close!" she says. "And their biscotti is great!"

« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
>Have we ever tried biscotti? And did we like it?
>Either way, "I'll try anything once. Lead on, my friend."
>Follow her lead. She's the one with the working eyes.