Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 47803 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2015, 10:46:37 AM »
>"Several."
>Probably not a good idea to mention we had a God help us out, too, that'd be even more far-fetched.
>Unless it isn't uncommon for Gods to walk about with us mere mortals. Is it?

« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
>"Several."
>Probably not a good idea to mention we had a God help us out, too, that'd be even more far-fetched.
>Unless it isn't uncommon for Gods to walk about with us mere mortals. Is it?

>"Then where's this sour hermit come in?" she asks.
>Minoriko's choice of lifestyle is rather unconventional for a goddess, but it's hardly uncommon for divinities to commune with worshipers or act upon the world. You understand that the patron deity of Hanashibara played some major role in their war of independence and apparently still dwells on a mountain there.

« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
>"At the end of a long road. If you want, I can give you the whole story. But it's a long one to tell in the middle of a street. You might want to bring a chair out."

« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
>"At the end of a long road. If you want, I can give you the whole story. But it's a long one to tell in the middle of a street. You might want to bring a chair out."

>"Just say your piece." Her tone is weary, but not altogether curt.

« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:39 AM »
>"Suit yourself."
>Take a moment to gather our thoughts. And breath.
>"None of the doctors back home, or even here in town, could find a cure. Even our local Goddess couldn't do any better than slowing the poison down. If she hadn't, my insides would have liquified weeks ago. At that point, I had the options to either lie down and die, or try to find an impossible cure. And when I got here, I found one, in a very old book in the university library. Guess that bit of knowledge never made it to Estval. 'course even if it had, I probably would have ended up here anyway, since one of the ingredients for the medicine is a Bittercress flower. The plant may be common enough, but the flower's another story. ... Unless by some mircale you folks have a way to get bittercress to bloom out of season?"

« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
>"Suit yourself."
>Take a moment to gather our thoughts. And breath.
>"None of the doctors back home, or even here in town, could find a cure. Even our local Goddess couldn't do any better than slowing the poison down. If she hadn't, my insides would have liquified weeks ago. At that point, I had the options to either lie down and die, or try to find an impossible cure. And when I got here, I found one, in a very old book in the university library. Guess that bit of knowledge never made it to Estval. 'course even if it had, I probably would have ended up here anyway, since one of the ingredients for the medicine is a Bittercress flower. The plant may be common enough, but the flower's another story. ... Unless by some mircale you folks have a way to get bittercress to bloom out of season?"

>"I'm not a gardener, sorry."
>"...doesn't bittercress only bloom once every few years?" Aika says quietly.
>Her companion's head snaps to the left. "What, you've heard of it?"
>Aika nods slightly.
>"What the hell kinda spider is this anyway?" the head rabbit asks.

« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
>What kind of spider was she, again?

« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »
>What kind of spider was she, again?

>She called herself a tsuchigumo, though that name has meant nothing to anyone else you've spoken with so far. Though you haven't even mentioned that she was a spider youkai to the rabbits yet.

« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
>"A youkai spider. She was a suchi... suchigumo, I think it was pronounced."
>Look at Aika, "Every seven years, I think it was. Which is why I'm still the glorious sight you see today."

« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
>"A youkai spider. She was a suchi... suchigumo, I think it was pronounced."
>Look at Aika, "Every seven years, I think it was. Which is why I'm still the glorious sight you see today."

>"Wait, wait," the head honcho interrupts with a wave of her hand. "We're talking attempted murder here?"

« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2015, 01:42:27 AM »
>"I don't know if 'murder' is the right word, but she was doing her damndest to kill me at the time."
>"I did say it was a long story."

« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2015, 01:59:58 AM »
>"I don't know if 'murder' is the right word, but she was doing her damndest to kill me at the time."
>"I did say it was a long story."

>"Well, let's hear it," she says.

« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »
>"Well it all started back in Easthaven, little village back on the Estval continent. I'm a Seeker, and I was called out there to investigate some dissappearances among the local livestock. But what I found was giant spiders, some of them as big as a horse. Nasty bastards, too. They were the ones that'd taken the cows, and it was only a matter of time before they started on the people. 'scuse me."
>Take a drink of water.
>"I found their underground lair after a bit of searching, and while I was investigating the place, I found that tsuchigumo youkai. First thing she did was try to web me up to feed me to her overgrown friends. I got out of it, but things got worse after that. Eventually she cornered me in a dead-end cave and sent a cloud of poison down there after me. I had no choice but to go through it, which is how I got this." Pat the scarf over our blighted skin. "We fought some more after that, and thanks to this little gem here," Pat our katana, "I managed to make her back off. But I didn't realize what she'd done to me until after I got out of the cave. I knew that cloud was bad, but I didn't know just how bad until I got checked out back in town. Even with everything they did to try and help me, I only had weeks to live."

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
>"Well it all started back in Easthaven, little village back on the Estval continent. I'm a Seeker, and I was called out there to investigate some dissappearances among the local livestock. But what I found was giant spiders, some of them as big as a horse. Nasty bastards, too. They were the ones that'd taken the cows, and it was only a matter of time before they started on the people. 'scuse me."
>Take a drink of water.
>"I found their underground lair after a bit of searching, and while I was investigating the place, I found that tsuchigumo youkai. First thing she did was try to web me up to feed me to her overgrown friends. I got out of it, but things got worse after that. Eventually she cornered me in a dead-end cave and sent a cloud of poison down there after me. I had no choice but to go through it, which is how I got this." Pat the scarf over our blighted skin. "We fought some more after that, and thanks to this little gem here," Pat our katana, "I managed to make her back off. But I didn't realize what she'd done to me until after I got out of the cave. I knew that cloud was bad, but I didn't know just how bad until I got checked out back in town. Even with everything they did to try and help me, I only had weeks to live."

>"Would probably take a couple of those just to get here from there," the head rabbit says.

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2015, 02:36:22 AM »
>"And would have, too, but I had a little good luck there. A ship called the Blue Maiden was in port at Braston- Ever heard of it?"

« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
>"And would have, too, but I had a little good luck there. A ship called the Blue Maiden was in port at Braston- Ever heard of it?"

>"Sounds vaguely...." She frowns. "Whose was that again?"

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:32 AM »
>"Captain Murasa Minamatsu. I think she might still be in port, too, they had to make some repairs. If she is, then she or her first officer, Neu, can confirm my story."

« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2015, 03:56:44 AM »
>"Captain Murasa Minamatsu. I think she might still be in port, too, they had to make some repairs. If she is, then she or her first officer, Neu, can confirm my story."

>"Oh yeah; of course. I heard they ran into some nasty business out in the expanse, now that you mention it." She cringes sympathetically. "What was that all about?"

« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »
>"Does the name 'Aya Shameimaru' mean anything to you?"

« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
>"Does the name 'Aya Shameimaru' mean anything to you?"

>"Of course it does."

« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2015, 04:29:14 AM »
>"She decided to pay Captain Murasa a little visit."

« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
>"She decided to pay Captain Murasa a little visit."

>"Oh, that sounds like fun," she says dryly.
>"Wait, you actually met her in person?" the short-haired gatekeeper asks, only to immediately look self-conscious about piping up.

« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2015, 04:56:45 AM »
>"Oh yeah, we met. And believe me, she loves the sound of her own voice."

« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2015, 05:06:02 AM »
>"Oh yeah, we met. And believe me, she loves the sound of her own voice."

>The head honcho chuckles wryly. "So I've heard. Keep going."

« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
>"Despite Aya getting involved, the Maiden still made good time to Val Razua. After we pulled into port, I started looking for more information on the blight that the spider poisoned me with. Took a fair bit of poking, but with a bit of help from the university librarian I finally found a recipe that should work. Which brings me back to the bittercress flower I need. I wasn't able to find one here in town, so I had to find that 'legendary' hermit gardener I mentioned before. And that was a task. They warned me she had a bad attitude, and they were right, but I managed to cut a deal with her. The bittercress I need for the flower, or seed, she wants."
>Pause for breath.
>"And here we are."

« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
>"Despite Aya getting involved, the Maiden still made good time to Val Razua. After we pulled into port, I started looking for more information on the blight that the spider poisoned me with. Took a fair bit of poking, but with a bit of help from the university librarian I finally found a recipe that should work. Which brings me back to the bittercress flower I need. I wasn't able to find one here in town, so I had to find that 'legendary' hermit gardener I mentioned before. And that was a task. They warned me she had a bad attitude, and they were right, but I managed to cut a deal with her. The bittercress I need for the flower, or seed, she wants."
>Pause for breath.
>"And here we are."

>The rabbit cocks an eyebrow. "'Legendary hermit gardener'?"

« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »
>"That was the rep she seemed to have, anyway. I don't know if 'legendary' is the term I'd use after meeting her- meeting Aya was almost as pleasant- but the gardener part's pretty spot on."

« Reply #237 on: July 18, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
>"That was the rep she seemed to have, anyway. I don't know if 'legendary' is the term I'd use after meeting her- meeting Aya was almost as pleasant- but the gardener part's pretty spot on."

>"So who is she?"

« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2015, 05:37:39 AM »
>"Her name was Yuuka."

« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2015, 05:48:17 AM »
>"Her name was Yuuka."

>"Yuuka...." There is a moment of thoughtful silence, then the rabbit's eyes very slowly narrow. "Where exactly did you say you ran into her, again?"