Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kolme  (Read 64411 times)

Re: Hatate Quest Kolme
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »
>"I'm...better at photography during duels than winning duels, to be honest. It counts as a win, but...it's not really doing damage."
>How good are we at the actual fighting thing, as opposed to getting pictures of an irate Reimu on the battlefield?

>"I'm not too bad at danmaku." Momiji replies. "Maybe not as strong as I'd like, but I can hold my own. I don't have a lot of spellcards, but the ones I've got are none too easy."
>Celes nods. "In the event that we should have to confront someone possessed by Greed, perhaps you should leave that aspect of it to us, Hatate. I myself am more than capable of besting most opponents, outside of the likes of Byakuren and Remilia."

>In terms of more conventional danmaku duels, you'd be about a stage 2 boss. your skill level would put you about on par with the likes of Hina Kagiyama. Respectable, certainly, but plenty of room for improvement.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
>"Oh, let's say a sin possessed someone weak, would that slow them down? Or does it not matter?"

« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
>"Oh, let's say a sin possessed someone weak, would that slow them down? Or does it not matter?"

>"'Slow them down?'"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
>"Would a weak host make them weak? And the opposite, I suppose?"

« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
>"Would a weak host make them weak? And the opposite, I suppose?"

>"Ah. Well, the Sin would still have the use of all of its natural powers, but if it chose a host who was weak, an ordinary human, for example, then it would make a much less challenging foe. And as a consequence, be easier to exorcise, since we would only have to contend with the powers of the Sin, rather than whatever luckless being it had latched onto."
>"Which brings me back to the first point. There's more than one way to drive a Sin from a host. They're as much a spirit as they are flesh, so they can be exorcised much like a ghost could be. A priest or shrine maiden with sufficient power and skill can do it. And they are susceptable to multiple forms of magic, as well. I can think of many residents of Gensokyo with the knowledge and the power to pull a Sin out of someone. Even I can." she adds with a look at her other hand. "My divination ring may be the only method I have of detecting a Sin Spirit, but my abjuration ring can force a possessing spirit out of a living body. It isn't a painless way to do it, but it can work."
>"Didn't you say earlier that you had a lot of trouble separating Sakuya and Pride?" Momiji asks.
>"Those were very unusual circumstances. The odds of anything like that happening again are so remote, I wouldn't care to calculate them. Don't misunderstand, Momiji. Separating a Sin from a host is by no means easy, necessarily. But there are more ways than simply one to approach the problem."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
>"So what can Greed do. anyways? Any tricks I need to worry about?"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:44:04 AM by Purvis »

« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2014, 03:16:47 AM »
>"So what can Greed do. anyways? Any tricks I need to worry about?"

>"At the risk of stating the obvious, each of the Sins has power over the sin they embody. Greed has the ability to see what one desires, and to bring those feelings of desire to the surface. He also possesses illusionary powers. He can project the wealth of nations into an empty room, and overwhelm someone with the desire to possess it all. He can also generate more mundane illusions as well, but no less dangerous. Projecting a solid floor over a gaping chasm, for instance."
>"His most dangerous power, though, is his brain. Greed is the most cunning of all the Sins. He, more than any of the others, knows how to use all the powers he has, and he knows how to read people. How to manipulate them. His tongue can wreak more havok than his powers can."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:49 AM »
>"Sounds nasty. How do you tell illusions are illusions, anyways?"

« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2014, 06:44:41 AM »
>"Sounds nasty. How do you tell illusions are illusions, anyways?"

>With a straight face, Celes answers, "With some difficulty. I'm afraid there's no sure-fire way of knowing whether or not what you see is real or illusion. You see, he even has the ability to generate tactile illusions. You can touch an illusionary coin, and it will feel as real as a genuine one."
>"Smell." Momiji says shortly.
>"I beg your pardon?"
>"I've had some go-rounds with illusionists in my time." the white wolf informs her. "And almost all of them have one flaw. No matter how real their illusions look, or sound, they never have a scent, or their scent is faint, or wrong."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »
>"Do you think they usually get taste? Oh, and what happens if you take a fake coin that feels real, and try to slam a door on it or something? Does it fool the door?"

« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
>"Do you think they usually get taste? Oh, and what happens if you take a fake coin that feels real, and try to slam a door on it or something? Does it fool the door?"

>"They can, but not always." Celes says in answer to your first question. "I believe it's harder for him to generate that level of detail. I can't tell you how much harder, though, I don't know everything about the Sins abilties. That's Tsumiko's domain, a fact she reminds me of every now and then."
>"As for whether or not his illusions can blend with reality to the point of fooling a door, as you put it, I believe they can, but only if his attention is focused upon that particular illusion. And so far as I understand his power, he wouldn't be fooling the door, as much as affecting your perception of it. He could make you see a door that was kept ajar by a coin, even replicate the sound if he knows it, but that level of detail and focus is more of a drain on his power."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
>"Okay. So it's better to try to fool as many as I can at once, sounds like."

« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
>"Okay. So it's better to try to fool as many as I can at once, sounds like."

>"Come again?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
>"Get him to overextend and slip up."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
>"Get him to overextend and slip up."

>"Ah. Yes, that can work against him. But it is not an easy approach. Remember, he knows the limits of his power, and how far he can stretch himself. In some ways, he is as dangerous an opponent as Wrath."
>"Of course, this may not be at all necessary." Celes adds. "As clever and as greedy as he is, he's also one of the most reasonable Sins. He can be bargained with, reasoned with. If he even means to challenge us, that is. He may not wish to. He usually only confronts someone who opposes him getting something he wants, and right now, I don't think we're doing that."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
>"Maybe, but I don't feel good about letting him run around doing what he pleases. But I guess we could bargain to buy time."

« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
>"Maybe, but I don't feel good about letting him run around doing what he pleases. But I guess we could bargain to buy time."

>"Right now, he's in the same position we are, Hatate. Wherever he is in this world, he's trapped in here just as much as we are."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
>"I dunno. If he's so clever, why would he get caught in a trap that easily? Unless he's also stupid enough to use something like this without even thinking twice or looking over it."
>"I mean, it can happen by accident? But I dunno if we should hope to be that lucky, or that just leaving him here won't be a problem."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:44:52 AM by Purvis »

« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2014, 02:14:50 AM »
>"I dunno. If he's so clever, why would he get caught in a trap that easily? Unless he's also stupid enough to use something like this without even thinking twice or looking over it."
>"I mean, it can happen by accident? But I dunno if we should hope to be that lucky, or that just leaving him here won't be a problem."

>"Let us not forget that we were caught easily, ourselves." Celes says evenly. "I would assume that the book is activated by someone reading it, or at least looking over the pages. Anyone could have triggered it."
>"As for leaving him here, well, if the others outside can find a way to pull us out, they'll do the same for him as well. After that, he will be brought back to Tsumiko, where he belongs."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »
>"Right."
>Contemplate pointing out there that we were caught off guard, while Greed certainly had some idea about this this book, but leave it at that.

« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »
>"Right."
>Contemplate pointing out there that we were caught off guard, while Greed certainly had some idea about this this book, but leave it at that.

>"While we're on the subject of potential threats," Celes says as you restrain from offering a counter to her previous point, "Are there any notable threats on Youkai Mountain that you believe I should be wary of? And also, perhaps, something that could serve as a worthy mount?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:57 AM »
>"Well, just about everything up there is a threat. But it sounds like it's a totally different place now. Um, nothing much to ride that I can think of. Maybe some larger birds? But they probably won't care for it. Or you could bribe a kappa into giving you a piggyback ride."

« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2014, 04:24:50 AM »
>"Well, just about everything up there is a threat. But it sounds like it's a totally different place now. Um, nothing much to ride that I can think of. Maybe some larger birds? But they probably won't care for it. Or you could bribe a kappa into giving you a piggyback ride."

>The latter idea draws a mighty chuckle from the normally straight faced steward of the Keep. So far as you can remember, that's the first time you've heard her laugh since you met her.
>"Actually, CAN you ride birds the same way you can with a horse?" Momiji asks the chuckling Celes, who replies with a nod.
>"It might an odd thought, I know, but I have done it before."
>"Hatate's right about the larger birds. Giant eagles make their nests in the higher regions of the mountain, a bit beyond where the pegasi usually roost."
>"Pegasi?" Celes asks, her head coming up.
>"Winged horses."
>"I know what they are." the purple haired woman replies, her eyes excited. "Pegasus. That's lovely. Thank you, ladies.""

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
>When did we get pegasi on the mountain? And how are they regarded? Majestic beasts? Pests?
>"Anyways, probably just best to assume anyone you meet will probably be interested in beating you up. Kappa like their privacy, and we don't like people in our territory unannounced. ...Well, maybe. Who knows, these days? And the lower forests tend to have a lot of rowdy faeries."

« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2014, 05:23:38 AM »
>When did we get pegasi on the mountain? And how are they regarded? Majestic beasts? Pests?
>"Anyways, probably just best to assume anyone you meet will probably be interested in beating you up. Kappa like their privacy, and we don't like people in our territory unannounced. ...Well, maybe. Who knows, these days? And the lower forests tend to have a lot of rowdy faeries."

>You're not entirely sure. They've been there for as long as you can remember, at least. They don't loom too large in the minds of the tengu, though. Your people don't have a very high opinion of the pegasus race by and large. They are viewed as, to put it bluntly, groundlings that decided to invade your people's turf. A horse is supposed to be a horse. The tengu know that a pegasus is intelligent, but they have no more respect for the winged horses than they do for humans. Less, more than likely. The feeling, you think, is mutual. The Pegasus are territorial by nature, but they seem to be especially aggressive towards the tengu. Both races are perfectly happy to leave the other alone, the tengu maintaining their distant, quiet disdain, the pegasi feeling whatever it is horses with feathers feel.

>"What of the Goddesses who dwell on the mountain?" Celes asks. "I had been told that they were rather welcoming of people."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »
>"Oh right, them. They're pretty nice, overall. Well, one of them might just greet you with bullets because. And maybe the wind priestess too if she's in a mood."

« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:37 AM »
>"Oh right, them. They're pretty nice, overall. Well, one of them might just greet you with bullets because. And maybe the wind priestess too if she's in a mood."

>"I can think of worse welcomes." Celes replies dryly.
>"Mind if I ask why you wanted to know about mounts?" Momiji asks her. "We shouldn't plan on being here long enough so you'd need one, don't you think?"
>Celes sighs quietly. "Unlike you, Momiji, I have little in the way of optimism in regards to an early escape. It is quite possible we could spend years in here. Many years. And if I am to be cut off from my mistress in this Gensokyo, I can at least take some comfort in my other passion."
>Momiji scowls at the human. "Don't be so defeatist. Hatate's almost as good as Aya is when it comes to snooping out secrets and information." The white wolf's praise brings a smile to your face, though you question her use of the word 'snoop'. It's a bit of an ugly term. "And no trap in the world is perfect. I don't care who made it. We'll get out of here, mark my words."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
>"Exactly. Some stupid book isn't going to hold us down."

« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
>"Exactly. Some stupid book isn't going to hold us down."

>Celes offers you a wistful smile. "Part of me wishes I shared your optimism, my friends."
>"Trust us." Momiji replies, full of confidence. "Maybe we won't be home in time for supper, but long before you get too homesick."
>"Perhaps." the steward answers. "Just remember, for as long as we are here, that this is not our world. Keep that thought foremost in your minds. That may be our only way of staving off the effects the book will eventually have on us."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2014, 08:50:20 AM »
>"Don't worry, even if I find something good, I'm going to try and take it with me."
>What was Celes' species again?