Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kolme  (Read 63800 times)

Re: Hatate Quest Kolme
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:31 AM »
>"Sounds like a weirdo we ought to keep away from, then."

>"Was she especially psychotic in our world?" Momiji asks.
>"Not that I know of. It is possible that the power of this place may have adversely affected her mind, but why it affected her differently than it seems to have affected Marisa and Alice, I can't say."
>"Speaking of affecting people," the white wolf asks, glancing between you and Celes. "Marisa didn't seem to realize where she was, even after Hatate all but spelled it out for her."
>"I suspect the process is gradual. The power in this world may make its victims forget their old world, imprison the mind as much as the body, and eventually the soul. You heard what Marisa said, that she was happier than she'd ever been here. I suspect Alice, Ran and Aya will say much the same thing. Convincing any of them of the reality of their situation could prove to be very difficult."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2014, 05:11:27 AM »
>"Well, it seems like Aya convinced herself, by the sound of it. Ran, well...if they're at odds at all still, I suspect one or the other will be interested to hear what we say. Unless they were completely able to put it behind them. Marisa...I bet if we could get her away from all her girlfriends for a minute, we could convince her. But it'll help to have more proof first."

« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:18 AM »
>"Well, it seems like Aya convinced herself, by the sound of it. Ran, well...if they're at odds at all still, I suspect one or the other will be interested to hear what we say. Unless they were completely able to put it behind them. Marisa...I bet if we could get her away from all her girlfriends for a minute, we could convince her. But it'll help to have more proof first."

>"What sort of proof did you have in mind?" Momiji asks you.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »
>"I'll know it when I see it. I hope. But, well, if we could prove she's got memory holes, that'd be a start. And maybe Alice, too? Maybe we can talk to her after this if nothing better comes up?"

« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2014, 06:30:46 AM »
>"I'll know it when I see it. I hope. But, well, if we could prove she's got memory holes, that'd be a start. And maybe Alice, too? Maybe we can talk to her after this if nothing better comes up?"

>"I would suggest you take care when and if you do." Celes advises you. "If the book has a firm grip on their minds, trying to shake it loose could provoke them, even to violence."
>"Marisa didn't seem to react that way." Momiji points.
>"That's true, but none of us actively tried to take her out of the scenario. Hatate all but spelled it out for her, but that's not the same thing as directly confronting her."
>Momiji nods. "Okay, so, what about the other residents of this world?"
>"Based on what we've seen so far, I don't think they pose any immediate threat to us. But they will more than likely try to convince us to stay here. That will be the real threat." The stewards says with some emphasis. "We have no way of knowing how long it will take before the power of the book starts to affect us. Guard your thoughts well. You can't let yourselves be tempted by anything you see in this world."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2014, 06:32:39 AM »
>"Wonder what happens if we tried to take one of them with us?"

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2014, 06:51:18 AM »
>"Wonder what happens if we tried to take one of them with us?"

>"I don't think that's possible. The worlds and peoples created by these kind of traps are sustained by the power of the object itself. We've never known any such being to be able to exist in our world."
>"You've tried before? How?" Momiji asks her.
>"This kind of trap is all too familiar to me, Momiji." Celes replies darkly. "That is why I have little hope of us finding our own way out."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
>"Well, Aya managed to do...something. So if she can, I bet we can do the same, only faster."

« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2014, 07:11:59 AM »
>"Well, Aya managed to do...something. So if she can, I bet we can do the same, only faster."

>"An Aya left Gensokyo." Celes retorts. "As I recall, you said that she hadn't been seen in our world since her visit to the Keep." The steward shakes her head. "No one escapes on his his soul prisons. Not on their own."
>Momiji almost glares at the human. "Tail fluff. Don't give up before you try."
>"I said, on their own." Celes answers, meeting Momiji's eyes. "We are fortunate. In addition to the remaining members of the Keep, several powerful individuals of Gensokyo know about these traps, including Patchouli. She was there, she would know what it was that happened to us. If we are very fortunate, she will have taken the book either back to the Keep, or the Scarlet Devil Manor, and is now working on a way to free us. In which case, it falls to us to resist the influence of this book's power until we can be freed."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
>"Sounds like you've already given up. Besides, there's not a trap in the world that can hold a tengu. Even the trap's admitted that much."

« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »
>"Sounds like you've already given up. Besides, there's not a trap in the world that can hold a tengu. Even the trap's admitted that much."

>"I do not take your meaning." Celes answers, slightly confused.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
>"Some Aya escaped, we can do it too. It's just figuring out how."

« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »
>"Some Aya escaped, we can do it too. It's just figuring out how."

>"She may have left this Gensokyo, but she didn't escape the book."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »
>"I dunno. There's got to be a limit on how many of those pocket places it could made. I mean, it's not got unlimited power, right?"

« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
>"I dunno. There's got to be a limit on how many of those pocket places it could made. I mean, it's not got unlimited power, right?"

>"No, that's true." Celes says with a nod. "It can only do so much, especailly with him gone. But the Aya of this world couldn't have left the book, and our Aya is still in here somewhere."
>"Could the other Aya have just vanished?" Momiji asks.
>Celes ponders that one for a moment. "Possibly. It's possible that the false Aya and our Aya combined existences. Or that the book no longed needed the Aya it produced."
>"I'm not sure what you mean."
>"This Gensokyo was created when Marisa and Alice were pulled inside. As a result, there would have been an Aya generated as well. When the real Aya was pulled inside, the book might not have needed that other Aya."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2014, 07:39:39 AM »
>"Except, there's been other copies? Like Ran, and that can't be easy to make two of. "

« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:25 AM »
>"Except, there's been other copies? Like Ran, and that can't be easy to make two of. "

>"I would agree. Each of the five beings we know are in here, other than ourselves, are hardly lacking in power, but Ran is in a class above them."
>"Five?" Momiji asks.
>"Don't forget, Greed is in here as well. But we can deal with him later. To return to your point, Hatate, I can't be sure why there are still two Rans and only one Aya here. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps the processes at work in this book are different for Ran, since she is a shikigami, or due to her extreme power. Possibly both."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2014, 02:53:47 AM »
>"I wonder where he's hiding? Either way...I think we can all agree this is probably more complicated than just the book doing anything and everything."
>"Actually, thinking on it, what's it like when Greed possesses someone? Because there's a good chance it's happened, now that I think about it. And how do you fix it?"

« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:20 AM »
>"I wonder where he's hiding? Either way...I think we can all agree this is probably more complicated than just the book doing anything and everything."

>"He gravitates towards those of wealth and means. Knowing what he is sure to know of our Gensokyo, he will be either within, or near, the Scarlet Devil Manor, of that I have little doubt." Celes says confidently.
>"As opposed to, say, a wealthy tengu, or human?" Momiji counters.
>"I may not know him as well as Tsumiko, but I know Greed, at least enough of his tastes and behavior. Trust me, Momiji, he will want what Remilia Scarlet has. He'd possess her if he could, but vampires are immune to that aspect of the Sins' power."

>"Actually, thinking on it, what's it like when Greed possesses someone? Because there's a good chance it's happened, now that I think about it. And how do you fix it?"

>"Are you speaking about a voluntary possession, or an involuntary one? And what makes you so sure, Hatate?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
>"Because otherwise you'd probably have noticed something already, and it's a better way to hide. People are going to be a lot less suspicious if somoene they know acts a little weird than a complete stranger acting weird. And let's say both kinds?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:53:56 AM by Purvis »

« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:48 AM »
>"Because otherwise you'd probably have noticed something already, and it's a better way to hide. People are going to be a lot less suspicious if somoene they know acts a little weird than a complete stranger acting weird. And let's say both kinds?"

>The steward of the Keep still seems rather confused. "Well, I can certainly explain what's involved in a Sin possession, but, perhaps you could explain what you mean, precisely?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
>"Okay, let's say Rinnosuke got possessed. What's going to be weirder and get more attention, Rinnosuke being greedy or some stranger being greedy? People will give the Rinnosuke a pass because they kinda know him, he just's changed. A stranger doing the same thing is way more suspicious, because you don't know 'em. So you're naturally going to be a lot more curious, and a lot less willing to let things go by because you don't know them. Also, you're a lot more likely to buy the excuses a person you know would give you. If I were Greed, I'd possess someone as soon as I could just to be able to push blame onto someone else, and to get away with things for longer."

« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2014, 06:35:44 AM »
>"Okay, let's say Rinnosuke got possessed. What's going to be weirder and get more attention, Rinnosuke being greedy or some stranger being greedy? People will give the Rinnosuke a pass because they kinda know him, he just's changed. A stranger doing the same thing is way more suspicious, because you don't know 'em. So you're naturally going to be a lot more curious, and a lot less willing to let things go by because you don't know them. Also, you're a lot more likely to buy the excuses a person you know would give you. If I were Greed, I'd possess someone as soon as I could just to be able to push blame onto someone else, and to get away with things for longer."

>Celes nods. "There is some logic to what you say. And in addition, Greed will likely have learned about the other five Sins' defeat and return to the Keep, so he may very well have been seeking somewhere, or rather someone, to hide in. Even if the book has affected him as it seems to have done to Marisa, he will still act like Greed, and he will at least suspect that Tsumiko will be trying to find him. But he couldn't possess just anyone." The steward explains. "The Sins can only possess someone that has aspects of themselves similar to the Sins' nature. For example, Envy could not possess anyone who does not harbor deep, powerful jealousy towards someone else. Likewise, Greed would need to possess someone who had great desire for things, be it wealth, objects of great value, a harem of lovers, something for which they have a need, a passion, to possess. In nearly every instance, the Sin becomes the dominant personality. In some ways, this is not unlike possession by a ghost, or some other malevolant spirit or specter. They almost always act on the factor that brought them to their host, but they remain in charge of the body."
>"Does the host mind remain conscious?" Momiji asks.
>"Sometimes. It depends on the Sin, and the being they are possessing."
>"When a Sin holds possession of a living being, they can wield all the powers the Sin possesses, and usually all of the powers and abilities of the host." Celes continues. "But not always. The Sins are, at their core, minor incarnations of evil. They cannot wield powers of light, or good, holy magic, no matter who they possess. And there are certain beings that seem to be immune to this effect. Vampires, for one, and beings with especially strong souls, or souls that have been touched by light. Reimu Hakurei, for instance, would normally be immune to Sin's possession. The only reason Sloth was able to possess her on the Night of Rage was that Sloth caught her when she was asleep, with her defenses down."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »
>"Can you tell when you see 'em? Like, if Marisa were possessed, you'd know, right?"

« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »
>"Can you tell when you see 'em? Like, if Marisa were possessed, you'd know, right?"

>"Sometimes it is more obvious than others. Some of the Sins are easier to detect than others, there are multiple signs to look for. The most obvious sign is unnatural spkies of emotion. When someone is around a Sin Spirit, their presence can evoke the emotion, the sin, they represent. Sudden swells of jealousy or a sudden feeling of hunger, for example, would indicate the presence of Envy or Gluttony, those two are especially bad at keeping their powers suppressed. Unfortunately for us, Greed is one of the best at concealing his presence when he is possessing someone." She pulls in her hand to glance at the rings on her hand. "The only sure way I have of detecting Greed is my divination ring."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2014, 08:15:23 AM »
>"And I'm guessing it hasn't gone off yet? If so, good."

« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
>"And I'm guessing it hasn't gone off yet? If so, good."

>"Well, I can't use it yet. It's still non-functional as a result of that magic wave that brought us here." She narrows her eyes to examine the dull jewel. "I would guess it will be at least an hour before it is functional again."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
>"Oh. Well, that's a pain. So, if we do find a possessed person, what can we do?"

« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
>"Oh. Well, that's a pain. So, if we do find a possessed person, what can we do?"

>"Fortunately, we have rather more options in the field of removing a Sin from someone than we do in locating our erstwhile Greed." Celes replies. "In most cases, the simplest method is to, for lack of a better term, beat the Sin out. Sufficient damage to a host will drive the Sin from the body."
>"That's what you call the easy way?" Momiji asks, her face a bit disturbed at the idea.
>"Simplest, not the easiest, Momiji. And I might add, this is actually much easier to do in Gensokyo than it is in the outside world."
>"Why is that- Ah, because of danmaku." The white wolf says with a nod.
>"Precisely. This is actually how, at least in part, Remilia was able to excise Envy from the host she had taken on the Night of Rage without hurting her. Either of them, really. Which begs the question." she says, looking between you and Momiji. "May I ask how skilled you both are at the art of spellcard duels?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
>"I'm...better at photography during duels than winning duels, to be honest. It counts as a win, but...it's not really doing damage."
>How good are we at the actual fighting thing, as opposed to getting pictures of an irate Reimu on the battlefield?