Author Topic: Reimu Quest (Part 10)  (Read 52674 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Reimu Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #510 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:02 AM »
>"Let's see 'em."

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #511 on: May 15, 2014, 12:16:23 AM »
>"Let's see 'em."

> "Ok, follow me, then."  Koakuma turns the book cart around and wheels off in the opposite direction.

> _

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #512 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:52 AM »
>Follow batgirl!

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #513 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »
>Follow batgirl!

> You follow Koakuma.  She leads you along a zig-zagging path down the aisles, and past piles of books.  After a while, you reach a corner of the library.  Koakuma leaps off the book cart and flounces over to the end of a series of book cases.  She crouches down, digging through books and scrolls and coughing through dust, before retrieving a small, dog-earred book and a long scroll that folds over her arm when she picks it up.

> _

[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #514 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »
>"Wow. You really do have this place memorized."

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #515 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:53 AM »
>"Wow. You really do have this place memorized."

> "That's because Lady Patchy is too lazy to get books herself half the time," says Koakuma, handing the book and scroll off to you.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #516 on: May 15, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
>Accept them and glance at the book's cover, and the scroll's first page.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #517 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
>Accept them and glance at the book's cover, and the scroll's first page.

> You look at the cover of the book.  It is plain and simply bears the title "A History and Geography of the Hidden Realms".  In smaller text beneath it is "12th Edition".
> You then open the scroll a bit, and come face to face with miniscule text and complicated diagrams.  At a glance, it seems to be talking about shield magic.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #518 on: May 15, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
>Let's haul these back to a table and get to looking over them.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #519 on: May 15, 2014, 01:33:10 AM »
>Let's haul these back to a table and get to looking over them.

> You start walking back through the aisles, with Koakuma trailing behind on the book cart.  After a while of wandering around, you end up back at the main entrance of the library and a little ways away from it, where there is a table waiting for you to sit at.  You take a seat and put items on the table, while Koakuma hovers near you.
> The first book is definitely a history book, while the scroll appears to be an instructional text.
> You start off with the first book.  It's practically falling apart, a testament to its age and how little it seems to have been used.  It was written in 1920, a year you do not recognize, but looking through the table of contents you spot a name you recognize among the list of places discussed in the book: Gensokyo.  You flip to the section dedicated to it and begin to read.
> Gensokyo was formed in 1885 by humans and reinforced by youkai, which you think is equivalent to year 0.  Apparently, of the few hundred who were involved in its creation, only a few survived the process.  The book mentions that while the Boundary they used was the most advanced at the time, it was also very dangerous to form.  It does not go into detail.  The book uses jargon like "Maiden Barriers" and "Dimensional Enclave" which, again, it does not go into detail about.  You suspect it's because this is a history book, and not a magic book.  A list of the survivors and the deceased are provided, although the book provides a disclaimer saying that they were unable to name everyone who was involved; therefore, the list is lacking.  The only names you recognize are Yukari and Ran.  Under the deceased section, you find someone with your last name: Hakurei Hiro.
> The book goes on to say that Gensokyo was its own pocket dimension by this point, but the Boundary was erected to reinforce it, keep it safe and allow youkai to thrive as humanity embraced technology, blah, blah, blah...You may not know how the Boundary works, but you definitely already know why it's there in the first place.
> Next, you open up the scroll.  As expected, it's a magic scroll.  It's clearly meant for advanced magicians, because you hardly recognize any of these words.  Annotations have been made in a language you do not recognize, but you suspect that it's Patchouli's handwriting.  This is her library, after all.  The scroll goes into depth about different types of shield spells, protective spells, and segues into making enclosed spaces and boundaries.  There are warnings about about how dangerous this is and how few groups of people--never an individual--can pull this off successfully.  It starts talking about different types of boundaries, and how they are made.  There are boundaries that separate a small area or an object from reality, boundaries that seal things away, and protective boundaries. 
> At some point it stops talking about the "how" and goes into the "what" and "perhaps" of these subjects, and this is where the annotations and doodles stop.  The jargon you encountered in the history book shows up, and you finally understand what it means.  A Dimensional Enclave is a dimension in a dimension, and a Tethered Enclave is one that still has connections to the dimension it's in.  A Maiden Barrier is one of the types of boundaries described.  It is hailed as one of the most modern, efficient boundaries, but the least of many evils.  All of the boundaries described in here require some kind of sacrifice, ranging from disastrous to gruesome to kind of acceptable but only having a slim chance of succeeding. 
> The Maiden Barrier is described as one that was invented by humans and thrives on contracting souls of humans or youkai with human blood: as long as the human is alive, the Boundary is alive.  If one falls, so does the other.  The soul acts as a source of energy, and the Boundary as a source of power.  To the readers, it suggests contracting entire families or bloodlines to ensure that it will stay up longer.  Gensokyo is cited as the only successful example of this type of Boundary.  A few basic mechanics are provided for this, but it is all in magician jargon that you have no hopes of comprehending.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #520 on: May 15, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
>If Koa is around, call her over.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #521 on: May 15, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
>If Koa is around, call her over.

> Koa is still hovering nearby, so you call her to the table.
> "Yeah?"  She looks over your shoulder at the open book and unfurled scroll.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #522 on: May 15, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »
>"I need a good glossary that explains some of these terms."
>Gesture toward the magic jargons.
>"And some stuff to take notes with, please."

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #523 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:36 AM »
>"I need a good glossary that explains some of these terms."
>Gesture toward the magic jargons.
>"And some stuff to take notes with, please."

> "Oh."  Koakuma blinks.  "Right away."  She hops onto the book cart and speeds off.  It shouldn't take long before she returns.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #524 on: May 15, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »
>Refamilairize ourself with some of this new information while waiting for her to come back. And if we can, let's see if we can get an idea of who all would be needed for such a rite. Likely Yukari and Ran...

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2014, 02:18:50 AM »
>Refamilairize ourself with some of this new information while waiting for her to come back. And if we can, let's see if we can get an idea of who all would be needed for such a rite. Likely Yukari and Ran...

> As you wait for Koakuma, you look over the the text again.  Yukari and Ran would be useful, as they clearly have had experience in this.  Accomplished magicians, powerful youkai, anyone like that would be handy.  Unfortunately, none of these boundary types look appealing.  In the meantime, you try to get some of this information to stick in your head.  The Boundary was a large-scale effort and required a lot of energy to create.  Barriers are the highest level of protective, shield, and concealment-type magic.
> Koakuma returns without the book cart, carrying a roll of parchment, a quill and inkwell, and a large flat book in her arms.  She sets them on the table and floats back.
> "Anything else?" she asks, fidgeting with her nails.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
>"Not just yet, but I'll probably need something in a few minutes. Thank you."
>With the glossary in hand, attack the section on base mechanics one more time.
>Do any of the writings at home we might have on the topic go into these kinds of details?

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2014, 02:38:42 AM »
>"Not just yet, but I'll probably need something in a few minutes. Thank you."
>With the glossary in hand, attack the section on base mechanics one more time.
>Do any of the writings at home we might have on the topic go into these kinds of details?

> "Uh, ok.  I'll be over there."  Koakuma points in a different direction and flies off.
> You crack open the glossary and start looking up terms you see on the scroll.  You pen down many terms with long-winded definitions, explaining various ingredients and incantations needed to form different parts of spells and spells on their own.  You feel like the vocabulary never ends: in each definition is a word you don't recognize, so have to go look that up, and again and again until you reach a word you already know.  While you think there are writings at home that talk a bit about the Boundary, they don't go into this kind of detail.  From what you've figured out, creating a Barrier requires multiple spells, combinations of spells, magic circles to create magic circles, and then those magic circles to summon ingredients for spells that aid in creating the Barrier, and so on.  You assume the end result would be a giant magic circle and a blood sample from whoever is being contracted.  The text implies that contracting someone is a completely different can of fish.  No wonder so many people were involved in the Hakurei Barrier's creation: just making it looks like you'd have to go through the nine circles of Hell to complete it.  You have no idea how Marisa, Patchouli, Alice, or any magician for that matter can enjoy something like this.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #528 on: May 15, 2014, 03:08:46 AM »
>Let's try to map out, in plain language, how many circles and conjurings and such that it looks like this kind of endeavor would take, into a flowchart.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #529 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »
>Let's try to map out, in plain language, how many circles and conjurings and such that it looks like this kind of endeavor would take, into a flowchart.

> You take a new piece of parchment and try making a flowchart in layman's terms.  After a while of scribbling, crossing out, and almost crumpling up the sheet in frustration, you come up with a circle of simple spells that branch out into more spells and magic circles.  The spells in the outermost ring are the most complicated, and are meant to be cast simultaneously.  The blood contract is an entirely different spell, oddly enough.  It requires its own sheet of paper, and the ingredients you'll need for it are a little ominous: bloodstones and bones and blood of animals, and blood from the one being contracted, but on the flip side it also uses plants that are found in medicine and even cooking.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #530 on: May 15, 2014, 03:25:37 AM »
>Start noting down these ingredients.
>Who wrote this scroll, anyways?
>Also, how much of our own knowledge of barrier creation has this touched upon?

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #531 on: May 15, 2014, 03:32:48 AM »
>Start noting down these ingredients.
>Who wrote this scroll, anyways?
>Also, how much of our own knowledge of barrier creation has this touched upon?

> You start making a lengthy list of ingredients.  Plants, rocks, ore, entire potions, flowers, grass, certain types of water, even food...There are so many things you need, and you don't even know where to find some of these things.
> You don't know who wrote the scroll.  There are letters engraved on the wooden handle, but they are in a language you don't recognize.
> These texts have covered everything you knew previously, which wasn't a whole lot.  You know why the barrier is here, but you never knew how much work went into it or the exact history behind it.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #532 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:54 AM »
>Don't we have a fairly considerable skill in actually making barriers ourself? Did nothing written here sound familiar in those regards?
>Now that we have this list of spells within spells and components, let's try to figure out how many people we'd need for this, minimum, and the skills they would need. And then if we can squeeze in more to make the work less arduous or more efficient/effective.
>Also what's the rest of the library up to at this point?

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:41 AM »
>Don't we have a fairly considerable skill in actually making barriers ourself? Did nothing written here sound familiar in those regards?
>Now that we have this list of spells within spells and components, let's try to figure out how many people we'd need for this, minimum, and the skills they would need. And then if we can squeeze in more to make the work less arduous or more efficient/effective.
>Also what's the rest of the library up to at this point?

> This is a completely different level from what you can do.  There's no way you could make something this big by yourself.  Ingredients aside, it looks like you'd need a tremendous amount of magic or spiritual power.
> You think at least ten or twenty people would work at the bare minimum, if they were all really powerful.  Having more would speed things up, you think, especially with gathering needed materials and preparing them.
> You look around to see what everyone else is up to.  Patchouli and Alice are still busy at work, Sakuya is nowhere to be seen, and Koakuma is currently hopping from bookshelf to bookshelf.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2014, 03:53:49 AM »
>How many of these people need to be skilled magicians vs people who are just powerful?

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2014, 01:35:31 PM »
>How many of these people need to be skilled magicians vs people who are just powerful?

> Half or so.  You could probably get away with less than half, if they were really good.

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »
>Start trying to refine that list, so we can figure out where the most powerful people need to be, and where the second most powerful, and so on. Don't worry too much about being exact, just try to get it down to a tier list.
>Flag down Koakuma again.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
>Start trying to refine that list, so we can figure out where the most powerful people need to be, and where the second most powerful, and so on. Don't worry too much about being exact, just try to get it down to a tier list.
>Flag down Koakuma again.

> You look over the flowchart you've made.  The most powerful people would be in the outermost ring and the very center, the second most powerful in the second most outer rings, and so on until right outside the center, where you'd have people getting the basic spellcasting done.
> You call Koakuma, and she flies over to you.
> "What?"

> _

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #538 on: May 15, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
>"A couple questions.  First, can you read this?"
>Point to the words on the scroll handle.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #539 on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
>"A couple questions.  First, can you read this?"
>Point to the words on the scroll handle.

> Koakuma takes the scroll and looks at the handle.
> "Yeah.  'Advanced Shields and Concealment Theory by Angrec Windghast'.  I wouldn't expect you to understand this language," she says.

> _