Author Topic: Danmaku!! Let me AX you a question  (Read 248175 times)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: Danmaku!! Let me AX you a question
« Reply #810 on: June 25, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
Finally bought TTS, now I can enjoy Danmaku!! with my friends online as well as IRL. (Though I've only gotten to play it IRL once so far....)
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #811 on: June 27, 2016, 05:35:23 AM »
I truly appreciate people like you who mostly play on TTS but bought the game anyway.  I think about things like conversion rates and such a lot lately.  For instance if I could convince all the people who have liked our Facebook page to actually buy the game, I could greenlight both upcoming expansions and the project would have basically no financial worries until completion.

Friend and major Danmaku!! contributor Dejinyucu recently had a successful Kickstarter campaign for her otome visual novel and I'm super jealous.  She countered that she's jealous that I already have a family life though.  We agreed that emotions are dumb.

Two years ago at AX we had a hard time being found in the game hall, this year we've enlisted some 7 foot tall help

Here's Carrot being a dork

« Reply #812 on: July 02, 2016, 12:04:11 AM »
Hey just got TTS and Danmkau working properly. When do you guys normally meet up? Im down to play some :D

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #813 on: July 02, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »
The /r/touhou discord is currently the best place to find a TTS game.

https://discord.gg/0uVfXeLNQb6XlVQP

I didn't get to go to the ZUN panels today.  I didn't finish Danmaku!! work till 11pm and was a walking, sweaty, chaffed, zombie.  I'm going to make sure I get into the signing events now, you have to buy $30 of NIS goods to get a ticket.  Like I wouldn't have anyway. 

Danmaku!! did well, I'm happy and will continue to be happy with successes like this.  Lots of new people who have never heard of it bought, or went down to the gaming hall to learn it, then bought.

A bunch of the artists were super excited to see that we'd released and were at the con.  I have a feeling my mass email to them ended up in their spam folders.  Kurot (Cirno's Card) started fanning me without prompt because I was sweating like crazy, "Hang in there, it's only the first day!"
"I will...no that's a lie I'm gonna die"
"No dying!"
It's only warm and humid instead of hot and humid like where I usually live, but where I usually live spends a fortune on air conditioning to keep people from dying.

My airbnb is in a super rough part of town but it and my host are great.  *shrug*  Still I think I'm going to go back to hotels in the future so that I can do things like shower in the middle of the night when work keeps me away all day.

Tomorrow will be a more con-related update as I'm going to use my exhibitor badge privledges to do some early shopping.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #814 on: July 03, 2016, 06:03:50 AM »
Con report day 2

I headed up to the NIS booth to get some loot and my ZUN signing ticket way early, turns out they were already open and selling to other exhibitors like me =D

I bought the Love Live movie, a Prinny Cap, and a Prinny Tote as gifts.  I got a "Barrel!" shirt from the Atelier series and some artbooks as bonuses as well as some sunglasses (???)

Neko Atsume is here, they're also on my shopping list. =3

After my shift at the booth I checked out the ZUN signing event.  "Doujin products are not allowed" Rats.  I couldn't get him to sign my Reisen or Oku cards.  I went and got myself a brand new copy of Subterranian Animism for him to sign instead, then got in line.

I was pretty close to the front of the line with Rune Devros.  I had a copy of Danmaku!! with me but A. it was already half open and B. I didn't know what ZUN's gift policy was.  I can imagine him being overloaded with gifts and taking on a policy of non-acceptance out of need.  I've been told I worry about these things too much, which seemed true because when I got up there they were all like "Danmku!!" and I was like O_O "Yeah I'm one of the creators!" and I was told I should definitely show it to ZUN.  I shifted left and Zun said asked me if I wanted the cover or the disc of SA signed, I said the disc and he got bright eyed and said "Danmaku!!"  On autopilot now I just handed it to him and he looked thrilled "Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu."  Then the Remilia taking photos with people's cameras handed me back mine and I bowed and said my thank yous and an Eirin said to the bewildered me "Right this way!"

This all happened in about 10 seconds.  Or maybe it was much longer, I'm not sure.

Tomorrow Carrot is going and I'm gonna have him take sealed copies for the Touhou group that's visiting as well as a JP PNP version of the game to facilitate understanding. 

After this I went to our booth to grab my things, only to find out that my bag of NIS stuff was gone.  I realized that our booth didn't back up to another booth, and behind the curtain was an area people liked to sit.  I'm guessing my bag got pushed through the curtain and someone saw it sitting there for hours and decided hey free stuff.  Lost and Found didn't have any clue sadly.  I will probably buy all that stuff again, they were gifts for my wife.  I'm not too upset but a little frustrated.

After cleaning up the booth I hadn't eaten in 8 hours so I went and had some cute sliders at Tom's Urban.

And...that was my day.  It's really hard to be at a con when you're working as well.  I don't have Carrot's stamina to function on 4 hours of sleep each night for weeks straight, so I'm going to bed.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #815 on: July 10, 2016, 06:38:44 AM »
Hey moogs, perhaps someone already pointed this out, but Nitori's character card has a typo in the passive skill area, where it says "...she she...", ie: it's written 'she' twice.
And I'm assuming that Cirno's freeze can be avoided if you dodge the initial attack?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #816 on: July 10, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »
We know about the typo it pains Carrot.

And no you can't dodge the perfect freeze

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #817 on: July 22, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Super stupid question: since Eirin can reaction cards on behalf of other players: can she shoot someone with a danmaku card or heal someone with her spell card, then immediately graze or cancel it on their behalf? Said cards say "another player does X".

Was trolling hard and this exact situation happened. Healed another player on the verge of death, then canceled my own spell card with a bomb.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:25:22 AM by james7132 »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #818 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »
Technically yes
When you play on someone else's behalf, it is as if that player played the card

« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
I was wondering, well, when your website will get completed. FAQ, downloadable rulebook etc.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #820 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »
hey Moogs, came up in a game I thought was weird, but can the Phantom Boss search the whole incident deck or just the non-discards?
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #821 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:55 PM »
I was wondering, well, when your website will get completed. FAQ, downloadable rulebook etc.

Never because as soon as it is people will request another feature.  Like how within 30 minutes of release people were requesting expansions.

hey Moogs, came up in a game I thought was weird, but can the Phantom Boss search the whole incident deck or just the non-discards?

non-discards, so they can't keep getting the same incident

zephyredx

• Car = ma
« Reply #822 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
First of all, I just wanted to thank you all for working so hard to make this awesome game. I got many of my friends into this game, and they don't even play Touhou. After about 5 games, all with 8 players, we have noticed a few things that we wanted to share:

Some highlights:
+Players loves Crisis of Faith
+Players enjoy discovering funny roles like One True Partner
+Players enjoy playing around with items

Some possible areas of improvement:
-Cirno's Perfect Freeze is very in-character, but it is also uninteractive because players get bored when they skip turns, especially in larger games. This feels especially uninteractive for characters who don't have a reaction spellcard. A possible fix would be to make the target unable to play more than one card on their next turn, which at least gives them some chance to interact.
-Master Plan is an interesting card, but the player who uses it almost always looks through the incident deck, so the "any deck" choice is not put into effect
-Lily White killing someone was funny the first time, but after a while players got tired of suddenly finding themselves dead; maybe a nerf is in order, or an item that prevents incident damage

I look forward to hearing more news about Danmaku!!
Why is Youmu afraid of Unzan?

Because the things that her sword cannot cut are next to nun!

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #823 on: August 15, 2016, 02:11:40 AM »
I'm glad everyone enjoys the game.  More Items, particularly more Artifacts, are specific goals for the game's future. 

At the moment we don't plan any errata or nerfs, etc.  Lily White in particular has become a symbol of the game and will probably never change.

On Master Plan, the words "Any Deck" and later "Any Playable Deck" are future proofing verbiage as well as part of Danmaku!!'s modular nature.  You are able to play the game without the Incident deck, this is why no characters reference it.  There will be more special decks in the future that you can use Master Plan on.  In addition, you should consider using Master Plan to get past someone's Supernatural Border by determining what cards they will flip.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #824 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
At the moment we don't plan any errata or nerfs, etc.  Lily White in particular has become a symbol of the game and will probably never change.

There are house rules for that anyway, so it's fine.

« Reply #825 on: August 15, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
no FAQ completed EVER.

what the heck

Although I'm glad to hear that the game is going to be developed further. Even if the lack of FAQ is a bit bothering (note: lamest excuse).

Removing Lily White card from the deck propably won't disbalance the game, right? If some groups do not like getting instanuked by Spring-Field wielding fairy, they can just put the card aside, I think.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #826 on: August 15, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
You can change the incident deck as much as you like.

FAQ is actually being worked on right now but I make no promises.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #827 on: August 17, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
Clearly Master Plan is best utilized with a Phantom Boss, to Lily White whoever you want~

I am looking forwards to more content though! (and so is my wallet!)

What I would like to see in the FAQ is more rulings on non-character cards. I can think of a few times I was confused by something in the deck, though none come off the top of my head at the moment.

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #828 on: August 19, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
Playmat preorder form is now live, only gonna order what people tell me to order.

http://danmaku.mysteryparfait.com/preorder-playmats/

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #829 on: August 19, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
Hahaha holy cow. I'm at Matsuricon and I was thinking of finding somewhere to sit down and try to start a game of Danmaku!! And almost immediately I run into a person who is carrying... another box of Danmaku!!

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
« Reply #830 on: August 19, 2016, 10:50:07 PM »
Haha I've heard that happens since the game is so compact.  I hope you have/had fun playing with strangers!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #831 on: August 20, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »
just spent 6 hours in the board game room playing Danmaku. for like most of the games we played with like the base cards just partners and Stage bosses everyone had a blast. then for the last game I put out the special roles into the deck with 6 players. and the game just went into pure chaos.

I've never had more fun spending an hour in a screaming match then playimg that game. it was glorious. then I recommended the games with bunch of people like almost everyone wanted to buy it

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #832 on: August 21, 2016, 12:08:30 AM »
I'm glad everyone enjoys the game.  More Items, particularly more Artifacts, are specific goals for the game's future. 

I guess that means that that stuff that I posted on possible Item and Artifact cards would be relevant here, so I'll post it again here(with a few edits based on what I have learned from playing Danmaku!! on TTS, along with a few new cards to boot)...

---

Artifact Card
Hakurei Purification Rod

You may discard a card in order to play an additional Danmaku card.

Whenever your attack hits another player, you may discard a card. If you do, force the player to trash a Item card of your choice that they have in play. (If multiple players are hit at the same time, you must discard one card for each player that you wish to target with this effect.)

---

Artifact Card
Sword of Hisou

Once per round, whenever your attack hits another player, you may discard a card. If you do, reveal the top card of the deck and perform the following action according to its season.

Spring: You gain 1 life.
Summer: Force the player that you hit to trash an Item card of your choice in play.
Autumn: You draw two cards.
Winter: The player that you hit cannot activate their Spell Card until the end of their next turn.

---

Powerup Card
Full Power

+3 range.

You may play 3 additional Danmaku cards per round.

---

Artifact Card
Tengu's Fan

+1 Range and Distance.

Once per round, if you are the target of a Danmaku card or a Spell Card, you may discard a card from your hand to cancel it.

---

Defense Card
Sacrificial Doll

Once per attack, whether you would normally discard a Powerup card or lose life from being hit by an attack, you may discard a card from your hand instead to choose to either negate all damage from that attack or to not discard a Powerup card from being hit by said attack.

---

Artifact Item
Swallow's Cowrie Shell

Once per round, you may discard a card from your hand in order to gain one life.

If you are about to be defeated, you may discard this card from play in order to return to life with 1 life.

---

Artifact Card
Robe of the Fire Rat

When you attack another player, you may flip the top card of the deck. If it is a Summer card, you may force the player that you hit to trash an Item card of your choice in play.

When you are attacked, you may flip the top card of the deck. If it is a Summer card, the attacker loses 1 life.

---
Incident Card
Stop The Lunar Invasion

When this incident enters play, each player draws 1 card.

Anytime a player would lose life, that player may discard cards from their hand up to the amount of life lost in order to regain life equal to the number of cards discarded in this way. (Players may use this effect to save themselves from being defeated.) Collect all cards discarded in this way. Collect the top card from the deck during your incident step.

Resolution: Collect 12 cards.

---

I hope that no one minds my theoretical card crafting here...
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #833 on: August 21, 2016, 12:42:38 AM »
Sacrificial Doll sounds better as a Defense item that you can discard to absorb the effects of losing a life (power loss and life loss). It would be less overpowered. It would make for an interesting Borrow target as well.

Having too many items that let you ignore damage or gain life is bad for the game as a whole though, since it hinders game progression. It makes me glad there's only two 1-ups in the game since it makes regaining life pretty tough outside of being Eirin/Tenshi.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:44:09 AM by NekoNekoRex »

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #834 on: August 21, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »
Hm... as a player, I don't like most of your card ideas, sorry.
I'll try to state why as precisely as possible.

I hope I'm not treading too much into Mystery Parfait's territory here by analyzing these cards, but it's good practice for creating rules for my own (video) game, so I can't let this chance pass by. xD;
Disclaimer: All of these statements are my own opinion. Even if I say "this is bad", read it as "I think it's bad". Even though this should be obvious, I feel like I should make this clear.

Hakurei Purification Rod:
I would (almost) never discard a card to be able to use another attack card.
Due to the card limit of 4, under normal circumstances, you have 6 cards at most in your hand in any given turn, usually less.
One card is spent for attacking (leaving you at 5 or less). Usually, you have a usable card in your hand (an Item card, an Invocation card, another Action card) (4 cards). If you've just played a Power, you can attack again. Alternatively, assume you're playing another Action card now. (3 cards left).
Now you want to leave some cards in hand to pretend you can dodge enemy attacks; heck, dodge cards are too valuable to burn no matter what. Also, you want to be capable of attacking in LATER turns, too.
So really, I would never spend my last cards so I can attack once more, leaving me at 1 card and as an easy target to pick up by any other player.
Also, this example was done with a hand of 6 cards. If you have less cards, the purification rod becomes even less useful.
As for discarding a card to turn your attack into a Seal Away... it's useful, but I don't know, I just don't like it when thinking of the person on the receiving end.

---

Sword of Hisou:
Read: Discard a card to get a (semi-)random effect.
The randomness makes the life gain viable, winter is just unfun for the player on the receiving end.
But this card is at least more useful than the Hakurei Purification Rod, IMO.

---

Full Power:
Even if you only put this card a single time in the entire deck, it is too powerful.
It can swing the entire game in such a way that it's not even funny.
Suddenly being able to attack three more times can potentially win you the game out of nothing. Given that you have the necessary attack cards for it.

---

Tengu's Fan:
Reads: Once per round, be Aya with more range and distance.
In general, I don't like permanent cards that are like character's abilities, just weaker. Because, since they are permanent, you BECOME said character (with a limit), making this character less unique.

---

Sacrificial Doll:
Terribly worded. It's basically "Once per attack, you may discard a card from your hand to either negate its damage or to not discard a Powerup card for taking damage."
Meh, could have worded it better, too, but whatever.
I REALLY don't like this card, as it's another PERMANENT card that basically makes you Aya. Except that you can still lose your Powerups upon negating damage, but instead, you can discard ANY card in your hand. AND you can use it on any attack, not just Danmaku cards.
Also, in general, Danmaku!! games are a little on the long side already, and cards like these here, that prevent damage (or let you regain health), only help to make the game even longer, which is something you REALLY want to avoid.

---

Swallow's Cowrie Shell:
What I said above. There's a reason there are only two One Ups, and only one character with the ability to heal. Well, two if you count Tenshi, but in her case, it's more of a safety net in case her Spell Card fails.
Even if you limit it to once per round (as you did), regaining life by burning most likely useless cards is too powerful and just makes the game drag on longer than it should.
Also, "discard this card FROM PLAY"?! I really wouldn't want to introduce a mechanic for one card in the entire game; especially if it's a game where every player should have equal chance of getting a certain card.
But removing this card from play, it basically means "Haha, I got saved, you you can't get saved by this card cause it's gone now! Sucks to be you, guys!" *dies the following attack anyway*
This scenario is just not fun.

---

Robe of the Fire Rat:
You really like the Trashing mechanic, don't you?
I don't, at least when it's overused. Which it really becomes if all your cards were to be in the game. xD;
My reason is, because Items show a certain progression in the game. People with more items are more powerful. But by having too many cards that trash items, it becomes incredibly tough to hold onto these items, because EVERYTHING can destroy them.
Regarding the counter part of the fire robe... it's interesting, but I don't particularly like it as something so powerful should not be a) coming for free, even if it is b) unreliable, thus barely even useful. And when it hits, it mostly feels cheap. Also, I just realized that it is actual LIFE LOSS and not just an attack, which makes it even cheaper, as you can't really play around it... unless you use one of the many "trash an item of your choosing" cards you have introduced.

---

Stop the Lunar Invasion:
This is basically a reversed Fairy Wars. And that's why it's bad.
Fairy Wars makes you discard a (danmaku) card so you won't lose one life at the beginning of your turn. If  you don't/ can't, it speeds up the game.
With your incident, it just helps prolong the game, and for a short time, creates a stalemate in which "only" your active hand size is reduced.
Again, cards that make the game last even longer are something to avoid, as the games can take rather long with enough people already.

Sorry for being so harsh on your cards; they all have interesting ideas, but I just think they don't really work out in this game.
Thankfully, I'm not a dev of this game, so who knows, maybe Moogs likes them or knows ways to make these cards work.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #835 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:52 AM »
No worries, NCS. I don't mind a harsh C&C, as long as it's helpful.

Hakurei Purification Rod:
I would (almost) never discard a card to be able to use another attack card.
Due to the card limit of 4, under normal circumstances, you have 6 cards at most in your hand in any given turn, usually less.
One card is spent for attacking (leaving you at 5 or less). Usually, you have a usable card in your hand (an Item card, an Invocation card, another Action card) (4 cards). If you've just played a Power, you can attack again. Alternatively, assume you're playing another Action card now. (3 cards left).
Now you want to leave some cards in hand to pretend you can dodge enemy attacks; heck, dodge cards are too valuable to burn no matter what. Also, you want to be capable of attacking in LATER turns, too.
So really, I would never spend my last cards so I can attack once more, leaving me at 1 card and as an easy target to pick up by any other player.
Also, this example was done with a hand of 6 cards. If you have less cards, the purification rod becomes even less useful.
As for discarding a card to turn your attack into a Seal Away... it's useful, but I don't know, I just don't like it when thinking of the person on the receiving end.

Personally, the fact that both abilities are situational is kind of why it's like this. The first ability is for when you have far more cards than you can keep for your turn due to hand sizes(which does happen, if rarely), and the second ability, I admit is a mean one, but with the advent of more Artifacts and Items, such an effect would become needed to counterbalance it.

Sword of Hisou:
Read: Discard a card to get a (semi-)random effect.
The randomness makes the life gain viable, winter is just unfun for the player on the receiving end.
But this card is at least more useful than the Hakurei Purification Rod, IMO.

I made this card because not many cards use the seasons as a trigger, since I remembered that that was a thing that would become more relevant in the expansion packs to come.

Full Power:
Even if you only put this card a single time in the entire deck, it is too powerful.
It can swing the entire game in such a way that it's not even funny.
Suddenly being able to attack three more times can potentially win you the game out of nothing. Given that you have the necessary attack cards for it.

...I'll admit that you might be right there, NCS. It's kind of game breaking depending on how many Danmaku cards you could have.

Tengu's Fan:
Reads: Once per round, be Aya with more range and distance.
In general, I don't like permanent cards that are like character's abilities, just weaker. Because, since they are permanent, you BECOME said character (with a limit), making this character less unique.

I'm surprised that you mentioned Aya, because when I was making this card, I was told that it seemed more like a limited form of Keine's Spellcard. Besides, Item cards are only permanent as long as nothing and no one takes it away from you.

Sacrificial Doll:
Terribly worded. It's basically "Once per attack, you may discard a card from your hand to either negate its damage or to not discard a Powerup card for taking damage."
Meh, could have worded it better, too, but whatever.
I REALLY don't like this card, as it's another PERMANENT card that basically makes you Aya. Except that you can still lose your Powerups upon negating damage, but instead, you can discard ANY card in your hand. AND you can use it on any attack, not just Danmaku cards.
Also, in general, Danmaku!! games are a little on the long side already, and cards like these here, that prevent damage (or let you regain health), only help to make the game even longer, which is something you REALLY want to avoid.

Ah, I see. I did indeed phrased that wrong. It's supposed to be meant to be used whenever you are attacked. Still, the main reason for this Defense is to give a partial defense to Spear the Gungnir, since otherwise there's no way to avoid losing a life to it.

Swallow's Cowrie Shell:
What I said above. There's a reason there are only two One Ups, and only one character with the ability to heal. Well, two if you count Tenshi, but in her case, it's more of a safety net in case her Spell Card fails.
Even if you limit it to once per round (as you did), regaining life by burning most likely useless cards is too powerful and just makes the game drag on longer than it should.
Also, "discard this card FROM PLAY"?! I really wouldn't want to introduce a mechanic for one card in the entire game; especially if it's a game where every player should have equal chance of getting a certain card.
But removing this card from play, it basically means "Haha, I got saved, you you can't get saved by this card cause it's gone now! Sucks to be you, guys!" *dies the following attack anyway*
This scenario is just not fun.

I think that I phrased that last part wrong. Thanks for catching that one. Still, Swallow's Cowrie Shell is one of my less thought out cards, so I'm not surprised on that. I think that this is a card that seriously needs to go back to the drawing board...

Robe of the Fire Rat:
You really like the Trashing mechanic, don't you?
I don't, at least when it's overused. Which it really becomes if all your cards were to be in the game. xD;
My reason is, because Items show a certain progression in the game. People with more items are more powerful. But by having too many cards that trash items, it becomes incredibly tough to hold onto these items, because EVERYTHING can destroy them.
Regarding the counter part of the fire robe... it's interesting, but I don't particularly like it as something so powerful should not be a) coming for free, even if it is b) unreliable, thus barely even useful. And when it hits, it mostly feels cheap. Also, I just realized that it is actual LIFE LOSS and not just an attack, which makes it even cheaper, as you can't really play around it... unless you use one of the many "trash an item of your choosing" cards you have introduced.

Well, the robe was something that I made on the spot. Perhaps it would of been better if the counter part is an attack instead. I also was thinking about whether or not the first effect should instead be a second attack, but I kind of had trouble phrasing it so that it doesn't trigger off of the attacks made by the robe itself.

Stop the Lunar Invasion:
This is basically a reversed Fairy Wars. And that's why it's bad.
Fairy Wars makes you discard a (danmaku) card so you won't lose one life at the beginning of your turn. If  you don't/ can't, it speeds up the game.
With your incident, it just helps prolong the game, and for a short time, creates a stalemate in which "only" your active hand size is reduced.
Again, cards that make the game last even longer are something to avoid, as the games can take rather long with enough people already.

I consider GFW an accomplishment, since I was the guy who thought that incident up, but details...

When I made this incident, I was thinking of how to emulate something from LOLK. Namely, the point device mode. I guess that it just doesn't translate well into Danmaku!!...

I'll go refine these cards and be back in a while. Thanks for the C&C, NCS.
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #836 on: August 21, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
OwO apparently the guy I met with the game set of his own runs the tts group and helped beta test it. Wow.

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #837 on: August 21, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
Personally, the fact that both abilities are situational is kind of why it's like this.
Okay, I guess that's a good point? Personally, I think that if something is an artifact, which you only can have one of, it better be always helpful, even if only half of it (like the +Distance or +Range portions of Stopwatch and Mini Hakkero). ^^

I made this card because not many cards use the seasons as a trigger, since I remembered that that was a thing that would become more relevant in the expansion packs to come.
Nothing I can really argue with here.
Though I still don't like the "target player can't use their Spell Card until next turn" part, as Spell cards are an important part of the game, and simply being denied the use of a game feature feels bad. But at least it's not Cirno's Perfect Freeze, which makes you sit out an entire round... (What, I can feel bad about actual mechanics, too. ^^ )

I'm surprised that you mentioned Aya, because when I was making this card, I was told that it seemed more like a limited form of Keine's Spellcard. Besides, Item cards are only permanent as long as nothing and no one takes it away from you.
It's called Tengu's Fan. Also, Keine can trigger off of any Action card AFAIR, Aya only off of Danmaku cards. I guess this artifact is something in between, since it can be used against both Danmaku and Spell Cards.
And yes, they are only permanent as long as nobody can get rid off them. But in the actual game so far, those means a Seal Away (a Danmaku card that can be canceled with this very Artifact) and Borrow (which only transfers this problem from one player to another). It's true, with the many "Trash an Item" cards you introduced, this would be less of a problem, but that still means that you first HAVE to have a card to get rid off this permanent to begin with, and that's my problem with it. ^^

Ah, I see. I did indeed phrased that wrong. It's supposed to be meant to be used whenever you are attacked. Still, the main reason for this Defense is to give a partial defense to Spear the Gungnir, since otherwise there's no way to avoid losing a life to it.
If that was your concept idea, then this card is pretty good on paper. You wanted a counter against Spear the Gungnir, but got a card usable even outside of this very situational use.
The problem I have with it is, well, what I said in my previous post. We don't want to have too many cards to avoid all damage etc.

Well, the robe was something that I made on the spot. Perhaps it would of been better if the counter part is an attack instead. I also was thinking about whether or not the first effect should instead be a second attack, but I kind of had trouble phrasing it so that it doesn't trigger off of the attacks made by the robe itself.
So something like
"Whenever you use a Danmaku card, you may discard a Danmaku card to attack again.
When you are attacked by another player, you may flip a card. If it is Summer, you may attack the attacker."

Limiting it to danmaku cards, because Spell Cards are powerful enough already.
Also, it solves the problems of extending your second attack to a third to a forth (like if it said "Whenever you attack [...] attack again.", whereas there is no difference in wording between the original attack and the extended one) and the problem of triggering the second attack off of the counter.

I like that idea more, since it is no life loss for the counter (which is still unreliable and for free, but I guess always being able to counter would be too powerful. And discarding a danmaku card for it would make you into Byakuren).
And since the entire item now evolves around attacking your opponents mercilessly, it's not that important if the counter portion barely triggers, as you still get a lot of attacks in with this artifact.

I consider GFW an accomplishment, since I was the guy who thought that incident up, but details...
Oh, right. xD

When I made this incident, I was thinking of how to emulate something from LOLK. Namely, the point device mode. I guess that it just doesn't translate well into Danmaku!!...
I figured as much, and as for flavor, the card fits to LoLK. The problem is, like you noted, the card doesn't translate well into this game.
(Though if you ask me, Point Device mode doesn't even translate well into Touhou to begin with.)

I'll go refine these cards and be back in a while. Thanks for the C&C, NCS.
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

OwO apparently the guy I met with the game set of his own runs the tts group and helped beta test it. Wow.
... doesn't Moogs run the TTS group (on Steam)?  :smokedcheese:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:17:12 AM by ShadowNCS »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #838 on: August 21, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »
... doesn't Moogs run the TTS group (on Steam)?
Helps run it then, I guess. He was talking to me about how he's been playing for years, which means Moogs is probably well-associated with him.

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
« Reply #839 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »
Let's try this again.

---

Artifact Card
Hakurei Purification Rod

Once per round, whenever your attack hits another player, you may discard a card. If you do, force the player to trash a Item card of your choice that they have in play. (If multiple players are hit at the same time, you can only affect one of them.)

Once per round, if you are the target of a Spell Card, you may discard a card from your hand to cancel it.

---

Artifact Card
Sword of Hisou

Once per round, whenever your attack hits another player, you may discard a card. If you do, reveal the top card of the deck and perform the following action according to its season.

Spring: You gain 1 life.
Summer: Force the player that you hit to trash an Item card of your choice in play.
Autumn: You draw two cards.
Winter: The player that you hit cannot activate their Spell Card until the end of their next turn.

---

Powerup / Defense Card
Sacrificial Doll

Whenever you are hit by a attack, you may discard a card from your hand to either negate its damage or to not discard a Powerup card for taking damage. You may use this effect only once per hit taken.

---

Artifact Card
Nuclear Control Rod

Once per round, whenever you hit another player with a Danmaku card, you may discard a card to attack that player again, regardless of range.

Once per round, whenever you are attacked by another player, you may discard a card. Attack the attacker, regardless of range.

---

Artifact Card
Swallow's Cowrie Shell

+1 max life, max hand size, Distance and Range.

You may play 2 additional Danmaku cards per round.

When you put this Item into play, you gain 1 life and draw a card.

---

Artifact Card
Tengu's Fan

+1 Range and Distance.

Whenever you are attacked, if it's from a Danmaku card, you may discard a card to avoid the attack.

---

Incident Card
Miracle Mallet Rebellion

When this Incident enters play, draw a card from the Incident deck and put it into play. (Apply the effects of each incident in the order in which they are put into play, starting with this one.)

Once per round, draw a card from the Incident deck and put it into play.

When this Incident is resolved, draw a card from the Incident deck and put it into play.

Resolution: 3 Incidents are resolved.

---

Hakurei Purification Rod originally had the power that was given to Tengu's Fan, and after thinking about it, I decided to sent it back to the rod. I made it only affect spellcards, because that lets it be more unique without making it OP.

I decided against changing the Sword of Hisou's Winter effect since it's not easy to control what effect you get, so it's hard to get that effect out of the sword. Also, it adds to the uniqueness of the card, since it's a one turn variant of Spring Snow.

I rewrote the wording on Sacrificial Doll to be clear on when it can be used and how. It still stalls the game somewhat, but that's what makes it a good target for Seal Away, and since it's now a Powerup card as well, a player can actually lose it from getting hit, so they'll need to consider that as well. Also, it turns Alice and Futo into defensive tanks due to their shared passive, that's something.

After some thought over the effect of "attacking again once per round", I decided to use it, but named it what it is now due to it fitting with how Okuu fights in Danmaku!!. The defensive part is just a bonus.

I decided that since I couldn't think of anything better for a "all around stat booster", I decided to make that into Swallow's Cowrie Shell. The "gain 1 life and draw a card" part simply lets the person use the effects of increased max life and hand size immediately, which helps somewhat, and given that it's an Artifact, it kind of justifies the fact that it boost a good number of things(including max life, which is the unique part of this card).

Tengu's Fan is now altered to evade Danmaku attacks via discarding a card, not cancel them out. This means that Seal Away is still a threat to it, and it can't save the player from spellcards at all. Hopefully this card isn't too powerful.

Fun Fact about Miracle Mallet Rebellion: This Incident card was originally inspired by a joke card made by Moogs, for the character Momo Parfait, the Mascot of Danmaku!!. I had originally named the incident after her, in fact, and said that if I had to use a canon event to fit this in, I would call it "Miracle Mallet Rebellion", since that was something that both caused and left quite a bit of trouble, and here we are.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:27:10 PM by Kirin no Sora »