Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kaksi  (Read 58500 times)

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
Re: Hatate Quest Kaksi
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
>"There are actually two barriers. The outer one emitted a feeling like you say, and we reasoned it was to scare off intruders or wandering fairies. The inner barrier was shocking to the touch, and much more durable."
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
>"There are actually two barriers. The outer one emitted a feeling like you say, and we reasoned it was to scare off intruders or wandering fairies. The inner barrier was shocking to the touch, and much more durable."

>Sabine and Celes exchange a look.
>"You don't think..." Sabine starts, for once looking completely serious. "I thought the library was clear."
>"We thought the courtyard was clear, too, until that forcecage almost killed you and Sei. At any rate, it's a chance we can't afford to take. Find Setsuka and ask her about this."
>"Right away, chief." Sabine hustles out of the room, leaving a very serious looking Celes behind with you.
>"I fear Marisa may have stumbled upon something very dangerous, Hatate-san."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
>"How dangerous would you say?"

« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
>"How dangerous would you say?"

>"Without knowing more, I can't say for sure. But if I'm right, potentially extremely dangerous."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »
>"Who is Setsuka?"

« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
>"Who is Setsuka?"

>"The last member of our family. Though you wouldn't see much of her, even if you stayed here for weeks. Setsuka doesn't... socialize. She guards the Vault, where we keep every item and object that is especially fragile or valuable. She's only really close to the Countess. But when it comes to objects of darkness, none of us are more knowledgeable or capable of dealing with them than her."
>The steward lets out a long breath. "If that's what this is, of course. I shouldn't jump to conclusions." She picks up her half-eaten sandwich again, a contemplates it for a moment. "And even if I'm right...." She trails off, then looks back up at you. "Tell me more about these barriers, please. Anything, everything you know."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Bah, like Miji's gonna get Fatchouli out there with anything resembling speed. Besides, we now have Valvalis to seduce!

>"Well, I told you most of what I know. We were able to get through the first barrier without too much trouble, but it can fix itself. And it's kinda shaped like a dome, but I think it goes underground too."

« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
>"Well, I told you most of what I know. We were able to get through the first barrier without too much trouble, but it can fix itself. And it's kinda shaped like a dome, but I think it goes underground too."

>"And it was this barrier that emitting the feelings of evil?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
>"I don't know if it was evil, but it was something that definitely made you feel like you shouldn't mess with it."

« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
>"I don't know if it was evil, but it was something that definitely made you feel like you shouldn't mess with it."

>"But I gather that you did so anyway. Are all Crow tengu as curious as you and Aya seem to be?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:52 AM »
>Are they?
>"Hey, let's call it inquisitive."

« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »
>Are they?
>"Hey, let's call it inquisitive."

>By and large, yes, actually. Curiousity is essentially ingrained into all Crow Tengu from birth. Some Crows are better at satisfying their curiousity than others, such as yourself.
>Celes nods slowly, taking another methodical bite of her sandwich. "I am relieved that all you found on the other side of that barrier was another shield. And this one, you said, carried an energy charge, bit did not have the same sensation of... caution?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »
>"I don't think it felt like that."

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:22 AM »
>"I don't think it felt like that."

>The steward ponders that for a moment. "Quite a puzzle. Two barriers, possibly made by two different wizards. Or possibly something else." Celes sighs quietly. "Regardless of what Setsuka has to say, I think one of us should investigate this matter further anyway. This may be nothing more than Marisa miscasting a spell she read in an ordinary tome she took from the Keep. Or it could be something worse. But the chance that something of ours may be involved is a chance I am not prepared to ignore. Will you provide me with directions to Marisa's house? I feel one of us should investigate this matter further."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
>"I'll do you one better and take you there, if you tell me what's up."

« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:41 AM »
>"I'll do you one better and take you there, if you tell me what's up."

>"I appreciate that you are curious, but if what I fear is correct, then it would be best for you not to be involved, for your own safety."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:32 AM »
>"Convince me."

« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2014, 03:59:51 AM »
>"Convince me."

>"I get the impression that could be a difficult task." Celes says wryly. "But very well, I will tell you. I fear that Marisa may have accidentally stolen a relic from a darker time. You see, the Countess was not the first vampire to reside in this Keep. The previous owner was a being of unparalleled evil, and exceptional magical powers. He seeded this Keep with traps, seemingly innocuous items, sometimes even a blade of grass, each one capable of bringing death, or sometimes worse, to anyone unwary enough to activate them. On top of these, there are other... objects, of his creation, that remain within the Keep. Not traps, per se, but they can cause grievous harm if used incorrectly. Not only to the one who uses it, but anyone in the vicinity, potentially. We have tried to gather all of these items, disarm these traps, but even now, we are sure we haven't located them all."
>Celes pauses to led you absorb this information. "If Marisa was here before we awoke, if she stole a book from our library that happened to be one of these objects, she could be in deadly danger. As could anyone who comes after her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2014, 04:04:45 AM »
>"Well then. You'll definitely need me to show you the way. And maybe get there before Patchouli does, huh?"

« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2014, 04:14:20 AM »
>"Well then. You'll definitely need me to show you the way. And maybe get there before Patchouli does, huh?"

>"Patchouli Knowledge? What does she have to do with this?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2014, 04:21:41 AM »
>"My partner's off fetching her to look into this. See, we didn't really expect you guys to be involved with that, so coming here was more like killing two birds with one stone."

« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:47 AM »
>"My partner's off fetching her to look into this. See, we didn't really expect you guys to be involved with that, so coming here was more like killing two birds with one stone."

>"The Unmoving Library... Actually, that might prove somewhat fortuitous. Patchouli has a brand of magic none of us possess, and her knowledge of vampiric powers and habits may outstrip my own, and I have served vampires since before she was born. She is one of the few residents of Gensokyo I believe would be capable of detecting one of his traps, as well as disarming it, or at least containing it." She then inclines her head thoughtfully. "But on the other hand, you have a point. The less people involved than necessary, the better. And it may not be necessary at all. We won't know until we investigate, barring news to the contrary from Setsuka."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2014, 04:45:29 AM »
>"I'm thinking two heads are better than one, if nothing else. Might as well bring in as much expertise as possible if this thing is really so bad."

« Reply #293 on: February 25, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »
>"I'm thinking two heads are better than one, if nothing else. Might as well bring in as much expertise as possible if this thing is really so bad."

>Celes nods. "As much as I would rather not involve any more people than needs demand, the reality is that even after centuries of work, we're still trying to expunge his evil from this place. The Myoren temple people have been trying to help us achieve that goal, and so have the Scarlet Devil and her people. And Reimu Hakurei as well. But even with all of them, I know we have a long way to go."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #294 on: February 25, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »
>"So, you go grab your expert, and I'll meet you out front?"

« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
>"So, you go grab your expert, and I'll meet you out front?"

>"As you wish. Though it may some time, Setsuka is not an easy woman to find all the time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #296 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
>"Oh that's fine, it'll give me some time to talk with some other folks. I won't say anything about this, though."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »
>Has the noise of battle stopped?

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
>Has the noise of battle stopped?

>You haven't heard anything from outside for a while, not since you came into this room. Either you finally got enough stone between you and Leraije to muffle the noise of her bullets, or the shooting's stopped. You're not sure which.

>"Oh that's fine, it'll give me some time to talk with some other folks. I won't say anything about this, though."

>Celes gives you a very wry look. "A journalist with discretion. Admirable."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »
>"Oh, you'd rather I'd tell everyone? I can do that."