Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kaksi  (Read 58539 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Hatate Quest Kaksi
« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:45 AM »
>"'The tengu' isn't really the problem, though, is it? It's that you're not saying anything except that we're wrong because we aren't like you. And a more cynical person might think you're bitter because we aren't like you, but we still do just fine. I mean, wouldn't you feel the same if I told you that you just need to do what we do and you'd find out your were totally wrong to live and believe like you do?"
>"So, what I want to do is see if you can come up with something better. Because I want to think you aren't just sour at us, because that'd be pathetic and I don't think you're like that. So, how about it?"

« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:24 AM »
>"'The tengu' isn't really the problem, though, is it? It's that you're not saying anything except that we're wrong because we aren't like you. And a more cynical person might think you're bitter because we aren't like you, but we still do just fine. I mean, wouldn't you feel the same if I told you that you just need to do what we do and you'd find out your were totally wrong to live and believe like you do?"
>"So, what I want to do is see if you can come up with something better. Because I want to think you aren't just sour at us, because that'd be pathetic and I don't think you're like that. So, how about it?"

>Ranka pulls a loose strand of hair back behind her ear, her expression turning a bit distant. You get the impression that you might have lost her interest, but only for a moment. A slow grin spreads across her face. "All right. Try this." she says in an 'I dare you' tone of voice. "Ask me how I got past the White Wolves, and have for a long time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:26 AM »
>"Okay. I don't think it's going to be that simple, but how?"

« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »
>"Okay. I don't think it's going to be that simple, but how?"

>"I'll show you." The wind picks up around you as Ranka slowly extends her hands out again, blowing around and past you towards the blonde youkai. At first it seems like all she did was stir a breeze, but then, weirdly, she seems to fade slightly from sight. Ranka gives you a whimsical little smile, and winks playfully. And then she is gone, completely vanished, leaving nothing but the breeze she stirred flowing around you.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
>"That's about what I  thought, actually. But you know why that isn't really convincing?"
>Pause, let her speak if she wants.
>"Actually, there's a funny old tengu fable that explains it really neatly."
>"There was once a wolf of great courage and skill who drank too much for her own good. She approached a longnose said, "I have defeated a hundred foes in battle! I have mastered all the arts of the blade seen under heaven! I can fell a tree with one strike of my sword and bring a foe to her knees before she can raise a blade! My shield deflect arrows from four directions at once!"
>"So the longnose looked up and said, "I know where your wife goes when you're on patrol."
>"See what I mean?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:32:55 AM by Chaos Purvis »

« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
>"That's about what I  thought, actually. But you know why that isn't really convincing?"
>Pause, let her speak if she wants.
>"Actually, there's a funny old tengu fable that explains it really neatly."
>"There was once a wolf of great courage and skill who drank too much for her own good. She approached a longnose said, "I have defeated a hundred foes in battle! I have mastered all the arts of the blade seen under heaven! I can fell a tree with one strike of my sword and bring a foe to her knees before she can raise a blade! My shield deflect arrows from four directions at once!"
>"So the longnose looked up and said, "I know where your wife goes when you're on patrol."
>"See what I mean?"

>The breeze around you falls flat and still, the wind dying out. Ranka makes no reply.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
>"I'll guess that's a yes. But what I was going to say before was, I don't think just a conversation would be enough for either of us. So, I was wondering of maybe you'd like to travel with me for a bit. Maybe if we spend some time together, one of us would figure out something?"

« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
>"I'll guess that's a yes. But what I was going to say before was, I don't think just a conversation would be enough for either of us. So, I was wondering of maybe you'd like to travel with me for a bit. Maybe if we spend some time together, one of us would figure out something?"

>Ranka still makes no reply.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
>Have a moment to glance around, and give her a few to either get back together or show up somewhere else.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
Since I'm kind of new to this board, please tell me if I do anything wrong.

Assuming this is some sort of challenge from Ranka,

>Focus. Did we feel the wind Ranka left with us to flow in any specific direction? Is there any trace of her wind remaining?

« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
>Have a moment to glance around, and give her a few to either get back together or show up somewhere else.
>Focus. Did we feel the wind Ranka left with us to flow in any specific direction? Is there any trace of her wind remaining?

>Getting nowhere, you have a quick look around just to make sure she hasn't popped up somewhere else. The two Prismrivers and Leraije are now missing, leaving Yuzuriha alone at the gate. Well, nearly alone, as Sloth is still where she was the last time you looked, but she appears to have dozed off in the meantime. You're not entirely surprised about that. Further down the Keep' wall to the west, you spy Honoka standing near Sabine and Celes, the latter of which is mounted atop a dark grey horse with flaming hooves. None of them seem to be paying attention to your conversation with Ranka, nor does the wind spirit herself appear to be in evidence anymore.

>But just because you can't see her doesn't mean she's gone. The breeze Ranka stirred up felt like a localized gust, one that didn't really go anywhere, just sort of stirred about in one area. And it has died down completely, only a few faint flecks of snow mar the air now. But you're a tengu, you're connected to the air yourself, so you might be able to sense her. Maybe that's what she was going for, you wonder idly, as you focus your senses outward. Although you can sense nothing out of the ordinary, you do hear Ranka's giggle. "That's more like it." she says in a pleasant tease. You're a bit relieved that she didn't just up and leave, but not being able to tell where she is or where her voice is coming from is slightly annoying.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
>"So, about what I said?"

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »
>"So, about what I said?"

>"You confuse me, tengu." the wind spirit answers, still teasingly aloof. "I explain my point, I even demonstrate, and you didn't get it. But when you tell me you want to understand, I think I believe you. You're weird. But maybe in the good way, some ways."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
>"Well, it's like the moral of that story. That's really impressive, what you did. But, it doesn't really mean that we're wrong, just that we have a different way of doing things that suits us better."
>"So, feel like taking me up on it and coming with me?"

« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:40 AM »
>"Well, it's like the moral of that story. That's really impressive, what you did. But, it doesn't really mean that we're wrong, just that we have a different way of doing things that suits us better."
>"So, feel like taking me up on it and coming with me?"

>"Hmmm..... I guess it could be interesting. What do you think, honey?"
>Although the level of her voice does not change, you're quite certain she isn't asking you that question. On an impulse, you turn back towards Honoka, and sure enough, the golden haired Ranka has reappeared, next to Honoka.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »
>Go rejoin them.

« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2014, 01:41:14 AM »
>Go rejoin them.

>With a flutter of your wings, you head over to rendezvous with the wind spirit and the others. This grants you a closer look at Celes' horse. It's an odd beast. It's taller than you believe the average horse to be, and more muscular as well. It has a red and yellow pattern on the front of its muzzle tapering to white on its nose, giving you the odd impression that the beasts' face is on fire. Smoke wisps from the corners of its black eyes, and a dark grey jewel hangs on a black chain around the beasts' thick neck. In contrast to the formal-seeming Celes astride it, this horse looks and feels almost evil.
>Ranka, you note, seems to be keeping Honoka between her and the muscular brute, and it is the cloaked Honoka who speaks to you first. "I should apologize." she starts. "I had thought Ranka had gotten past her issues with your people, Hatate. Had I known I was wrong, I would have cautioned you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2014, 02:00:52 AM »
>"At least it's a different angle than what we usually get. I kinda half expected it, from what you told me before."
>"Nice horse."

« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2014, 02:08:02 AM »
>"At least it's a different angle than what we usually get. I kinda half expected it, from what you told me before."
>"Nice horse."

>"I'm glad you didn't." Ranka jibes Honoka. "It's no fun when you warn people about me."
>"Your definition of fun doesn't always match others, Ranka."

>Celes nods appreciatively. "Neither Sabine nor I can keep pace with a Tengu at their top speed, we know enough about your kind to know this." She pats the big beast affectionately. "This Cauchemar, however, can. And I have been meaning to run him for some time now, anyway."
>"Some of her pets get antsy when they're cooped up for too long." Sabine adds.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2014, 02:21:28 AM »
>Do we typically expect horses to keep up with a tengu? If not, say, "Huh. And how's he going to do that?"

« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2014, 02:30:39 AM »
>Do we typically expect horses to keep up with a tengu? If not, say, "Huh. And how's he going to do that?"

>An ordinary horse wouldn't have a hope in hell. Even a youkai horse, which this probably is given its physique, would have to be a very special one indeed. So you ask.
>In answer, Celes kicks the beasts' sides with her heels. The cauchemar's hooves and tail promptly catch fire, and he raises off the ground to hover slowly there. "A cauchemar is capable of flight, among its other powers." The beast snorts smoke. "And its speed will surprise you."
>"Just don't stand behind him." Sabine says with a grin. "Little bastard's got the meanest kick this side of Reimu."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2014, 02:56:54 AM »
>"Oh, so this is how you get Sloth to move, you make this poor thing have to drag her around."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2014, 03:32:21 AM »
>"So, did you find Setsuka?"
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #443 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:10 AM »
>"Oh, so this is how you get Sloth to move, you make this poor thing have to drag her around."

>Sabine levels a grin at the dozing Sloth. "Naw, for that, she gets her pet dragon."

>"So, did you find Setsuka?"

>Celes nods. "She reported nothing of the sort missing from the Vault, which is good. In her estimation, we're not dealing with anything the likes of which we discussed earlier. But I still feel it's worth exploring, just to ensure Marisa's safety."
>"And I'm coming along to ensure her's." Sabine adds, jerking her thumb at Celes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #444 on: March 17, 2014, 03:34:27 AM »
>"Well, that's fine."
>Look to Ranka. "So, how about it?"

« Reply #445 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:03 AM »
>"Well, that's fine."
>Look to Ranka. "So, how about it?"

>"About what? Oh! Right." Ranka gives her head a little shake. "Hmm. Well, where you off to?" She makes a face. "Not back to the mountain, are you?"

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #446 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »
>"Right now I'm chasing a story on the disappearance of a few Gensokyo residents. The trail led to Marisa Kirisame's residence, which is where we're going."
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #447 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:14 AM »
>"After that, wherever we have to go."

« Reply #448 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »
>"Right now I'm chasing a story on the disappearance of a few Gensokyo residents. The trail led to Marisa Kirisame's residence, which is where we're going."
>"After that, wherever we have to go."

>The mention of the black-white's name draws a rather mischevious little smirk from Ranka. "I never pass up a chance to drop in on her. She's never boring."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:28 AM »
>"As much as I hate to disappoint you, she's been missing for the past month. A few people are, which is kinda why I came here. Been trying to figure out what's up."