Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kaksi  (Read 58504 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Hatate Quest Kaksi
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
>"Oh. Because I was wondering if maybe the Yamabushi were giving you a hard time. They're kind of their own group."

« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »
>"Oh. Because I was wondering if maybe the Yamabushi were giving you a hard time. They're kind of their own group."

>Celes seems slightly impressed, then nods. "You are right, actually, at least in part. We did have two confrontations with Yamabushi tengu before our sealing. The first encounter we had with a Yamabushi was with a mage who claimed he had come to acquire any items of power we might possess. Aya informed us that this was not uncommon for the Yamabushi to do, though their methods can differ from person to person. The individual we met that day, for example, had no interest in any kind of negotiation or diplomacy, he simply tried to blast his way through us. As I recall, he declared he had no interest in listening to the followers of 'one of those bloodsuckers.'"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »
>Does this sound like the Yamabushi we know?
>"And the others?"

« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
>Does this sound like the Yamabushi we know?
>"And the others?"

>You'd be hard-pressed to imagine them doing that sort of thing nowadays. But then again, the Yamabushi ARE the magical caste. To your knowledge, study of magical artifacts is one of their areas of expertise, and it's not that big a stretch to imagine one of them arrogant, or powerful enough, to try just what Celes said happened. A Dai-tengu certainly would have if she thought she had cause, or even just wanted to. A Yamabushi could have as well, especially at a time when Gensokyo wasn't as civilized as it is now.

>Celes' face darkens. "The second encounter we had with a Yamabushi tengu, about three months after the first incident, was an assassination attempt on the Countess." Disbelief crosses your mind instantly. The Yamabushi are a lot of things, but you can't imagine them ever undertaking an assassination. The Keep's steward nods slightly. "Aya had much the same expression when we told her about it. But it is true. However, thanks to Aya, we now know that this was no official act on the part of your people. The assassin claimed, when she was confronted, that she was doing it to avenge the loss of her lover, who had been killed by a vampire on Youkai mountain. She harbored a vendetta against all vampires; the Countess was merely her next target."
>The door opens again, and the smell of hot chocolate wafts across your nose as Celes continues, "At the time, we didn't know if she had been acting alone, or if the tengu leadership had assigned her the task. The woman was neither overly talkative nor coherent, once the Countess confronted her. Aya was familiar with the story, however, and was able to fill in the parts we could not know."
>"Talking about that white-winged assassin?" Sabine asks as she comes around the table, carrying a silver tray loaded with two mugs of fresh hot chocolate, a plate of brownies and fried egg sandwiches.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
>"White winged?"
>Do we know of any white-winged Tengu?
>Does any of that story sound familiar at all? Vampire grudges or the like?

« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
>"White winged?"
>Do we know of any white-winged Tengu?
>Does any of that story sound familiar at all? Vampire grudges or the like?

>"Oh, I'm sorry, 'Yamabushi.'" the martial artist says with thinly veiled sarcasm, ignoring Celes' disapporiving look as she puts the tray of goodies down between you and the steward.

>Almost all Yamabushi have white wings.
>Wing color essentially comes with caste. Yamabushi almost always have white wings, with very rare cases of yellow-gold, violet or light blue. Crow tengu like yourself tend to have black or brown wings, sometimes grey, never white. Long-noses have the largest range of natural colors, ranging from dull red to brown, with occasional off-whites or dark greys. Dai-Tengu universally have black wings, but they are prone to coloring their wings themselves. Tsubaki, for instance, had purple highlights in her wings when you met her earlier today. You believe purple is in fashion right now among the upper class.

>By itself, the story doesn't ring any signifigant bells. You do know that there was indeed at least one vampire who lived around tengu territory some centuries back. You don't think she was ever more than an occasional irritant to your people, though this might be Dai-tengu propaganda at work. It wouldn't be the first time they've tried to make something seem weaker and less threatening than it actually is. One thing you know for sure is that this vampire was reported slain about a century and a half ago, though you can't recall by whom or what.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »
>Nod toward Sabine. "Thank you."
>Jerk.
>"So, I'm going to guess it ended poorly for at least one person?"

« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
>Nod toward Sabine. "Thank you."
>Jerk.
>"So, I'm going to guess it ended poorly for at least one person?"

>The jerk merely nods.
>Celes selects one of the ceramic mugs, then nods. "The assassin very nearly succeeded. The type of magic she was using very nearly made her completely undectable."
>"But she didn't count on Sei." Sabine puts in, leaning up against the wall next to the fire pit.
>"Indeed. Sei, our chef and the Countesses' bodyguard, is well versed in darker eastern magics. She confronted the Yamabushi before she was able to reach the Countess."
>"And she put up a hell of a fight, too, after Sei flushed her out." Sabine adds. "White-wings was berserk, even managed to stick me to the wall." She pulls down the collar of her sleeveless red shirt and shows you a nasty scar along her collarbone.
>Celes looks somewhat regretful as she takes a short drink. "In the end, there was no choice. Sei stopped her." The intonation of the word 'stop' leaves little room for doubt about what she means.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »
>Nod.
>"It happens."
>What sort of funerary rites do the tengu maintain?

« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
>What sort of funerary rites do the tengu maintain?

>Whereas other races consign their departed to the eart, Tengu consign their dead to the sky. (Or near enough to it). At the highest point of Youkai Mountain within tengu territory, there is a multi-story mausoleum wherein the dead of the tengu, after a dignified vigil by the living- with moderate to heavy quantities of fine alcohol involved-, enshrine the departed within an open chamber, so that their body and spirit may dwell among the four winds.
>At least, this is true for four out of five tengu castes. As with most everything, the Yamabushi may be an exception. A Yamabushi tengu always presides over the vigil and the interrment, as they are the caste responsibile for the Tengu's spiritual as well as magical side, but you've neither attended a Yamabushi funeral nor are you aware of what transpires at one. They're so stand-offish, it wouldn't surprise you terribly if they had their own funerary rites as well.

>Nod.
>"It happens."

>"And we all hope it doesn't happen again." Sabine says emphatically. "It's just that kinda thing that we wanted to get away from, that's why we came here in the first place."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
>"What'd you do with her body? I'm sure there's someone who'd like to know."

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
>"What'd you do with her body? I'm sure there's someone who'd like to know."

>"Buried her out front." Sabine answers. "Was the Countesses' idea. Said that even though white-wings came to kill her, we ought to give her a bit of dignity."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2014, 01:55:45 AM »
>Gross.
>But better than nothing.
>"I'll be sure to pass that along. There's going to be someone who'll be relieved to know. Thanks for doing that."

« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
>Gross.
>But better than nothing.
>"I'll be sure to pass that along. There's going to be someone who'll be relieved to know. Thanks for doing that."

>Sabine's matter of fact answer makes your skin crawl. You respect the sentiment behind it, as much as you can, but the very idea makes you work real hard not to shudder. Still, it could have been worse. If you're right about the timing, this would have back when youkai still used to eat people, even other youkai now and then. Hearing that, you're fairly sure, would have made your stomach flip.
>"It was the least we could do." Celes replies with dignity.
>"Tsumiko actually wanted us to haul the corpse back to that mountain of yours." Sabine adds rather crassly. "But we didn't think that'd go over well."
>Celes nods sadly. "We didn't know your people very well, but considering our experiences up to that point, we concluded that such a gesture would only bring about more conflict, which is the last thing we wanted."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
>"Yeah. The Yamabushi are...private, at the best of times."
>"So, I'm supposed to meet with this Countess, right? Um, are there any sore points I should try to avoid mentioning that aren't obvious?"

« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
>"Yeah. The Yamabushi are...private, at the best of times."
>"So, I'm supposed to meet with this Countess, right? Um, are there any sore points I should try to avoid mentioning that aren't obvious?"

>Celes blinks. "I'm sorry, but, did you mean you wanted to meet the Countess now?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2014, 10:44:33 PM »
>"No, no, I'm not trying to rush you or anything. I just wanted to be sure I had my manners in check ahead of time, you know?"

« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
>"No, no, I'm not trying to rush you or anything. I just wanted to be sure I had my manners in check ahead of time, you know?"

>"Ah. Sensible, and considerate as well." Celes says approvingly.
>"I wouldn't sweat the P's and Q's if I were you, though." Sabine drawls, leveling that cocky smirk of hers at Celes this time. "Countess isn't near as stuff-shirted as the Dragon Rider here."
>Celes' lip twitches slightly at Sabine's moniker for her, but she merely nods afterwards. "A simplistic, but effective, bit of information, that. The Countess does not respond well to hostility or threats to her people, but you do not strike me as the sort to do that anyway, Hatate-san. Apart from that mote of common sense, there is little I believe would call for warning or concern." She pauses. "Well, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that there is little the Countess would object to, specifically, or be offended by. Sabine may be... glib, but she isn't wrong in her opinion. The Countess, in many ways, has much thicker skin than I."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
>"That's pretty impressive, really. Not many people have a title and don't let it go to their heads."
>"Hey, could you show me around a bit, maybe?"

« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
>"That's pretty impressive, really. Not many people have a title and don't let it go to their heads."
>"Hey, could you show me around a bit, maybe?"

>Celes smiles. "Truth to tell, the Countess prefers not to use her title whenever possible. We use it as a sign of our respect and admiration for her, and she lets us do so as a sign of her affection for us."
>"We're sorta odd for a vampire and her flunkies, ain't we." Sabine quips.
>"Sabine." Celes admonishes her.

>"I would be happy to." Celes replies, taking a bite out of one of the sandwiches. "There are parts of the Keep that still haven't been tidied or cleaned since our awakening, but it is still open to visitors."
>"Most of it." Sabine corrects absently.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
Purvis, you remember we have people waiting for us, right?

>"The reason I originally came here was to speak with the person in charge of magical research. Who would that be?"
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
>"The reason I originally came here was to speak with the person in charge of magical research. Who would that be?"

>As Celes chews her mouthful, Sabine answers, "We don't really 'research' like Patchy does, if that's what you mean. But if there was someone here to go to for magical stuff, it'd probably be the priest."
>"She means Tsumiko." Celes clarifies. "Why do you ask? Have you a magical problem of some sort?"

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
>"More like a magical obstacle. Are you familiar with Marisa Kirisame?"

« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
>"More like a magical obstacle. Are you familiar with Marisa Kirisame?"

>"We spoke of her earlier." Celes reminds you.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
>"I heard Marisa obtained a book from the library here, and her house also has a recently constructed magical barrier. "

« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »
>"I heard Marisa obtained a book from the library here, and her house also has a recently constructed magical barrier. "

>"So her house has a suit of armor, so what?" Sabine says, waving her muscular arm dismissively. "Ain't like she got it from here. She hasn't been here."
>Celes, however, doesn't seem as dismissive as Sabine does, looking a bit thoughtful.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
>"She might have gotten it from the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Either way, it would be nice if I could speak with the Countess or the person most knowledgeable about barriers and constructing and bypassing them. "

« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
>"She might have gotten it from the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Either way, it would be nice if I could speak with the Countess or the person most knowledgeable about barriers and constructing and bypassing them. "

>"Countess is in bed until nightfall." Sabine informs you. "Comes with being a vampire, that. But like I-"
>"Be quiet, Sabine." Celes interrupts her, firmly but not harshly. To you, she asks, "This barrier. How long has in been in place?"

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »
>"I don't know, but my sources inform me that Marisa acquired the book 28 days ago. I believe the barrier is more recent than that."

« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
>"I don't know, but my sources inform me that Marisa acquired the book 28 days ago. I believe the barrier is more recent than that."

>"28 days? That can't be, we were awake then."
>"Maybe she's right then, and black-white stole the book from the Scarlets." Sabine offers. "Wouldn't be the first time she's done that."
>Celes does not seem entirely convinced. "What did this barrier feel like? Was there a sense of... evil? Or malice?"