Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 62779 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #960 on: June 25, 2015, 06:03:20 AM »
Nothing that wouldn't cause the situation to deteriorate, unfortunately. I think the best we can do is emphasize whether she actually wants to get this plant or not.

>Can we tell how badly those vines hurt us without looking? Can we feel what seems like cuts, abrasions, or the like?

« Reply #961 on: June 25, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »
>Can we tell how badly those vines hurt us without looking? Can we feel what seems like cuts, abrasions, or the like?

>There are a multitude of small puncture wounds across your legs; they didn't feel very deep, but the persistent stinging and trembling in them makes you think the wounds must have been affected by some kind of venom. Fortunately, you don't notice any effects on your respiration or any other part of your body, so hopefully it's highly localized. Regarding the rest of you, the vines mostly just gripped far too tightly; this was a little painful in a lot of places, but most acutely over existing wounds from your fall off the cliff - in particular, your cracked ribs. It's possible there's some bruising, but you don't think there are any actual cuts. You wouldn't be surprised if they exacerbated that fracture a little, though.

« Reply #962 on: June 25, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
But I tried that myself only a handful of posts again. The way this conversation has gone, she'll just say, 'I can be patient' again and then mock us for retreading old ground.
I don't like it any more than you do, but I think we have to accept that we've come all this way just to get a fetchquest.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:33:23 PM by Wildsour »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #963 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:14 AM »
I am pretty sure it's just telling us the time for talk is through, and it's time to bring her to hell with us, metaphorically speaking.  We explicitly do not have time to pull this off; there's been numerous posts telling us this during the journey. She's just trying to get rid of us so we don't leave a diseased corpse in her garden.

« Reply #964 on: June 26, 2015, 03:38:12 AM »
I explicitly asked that very question a couple of pages ago. The answer was not 'No you can't do it.' It was:

>That is a very good question. Conservatively, that's at least another week's traveling and probably more. Given how you've been feeling these past few days, you have significant concerns about what shape you'll be in by that point.

Which isn't a 'No'.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #965 on: June 26, 2015, 03:44:41 AM »
It's also not a yes, which is the important part. Because we were given like three weeks to live tops and have used up one and a half already, at least. And given how we've been rapidly falling apart just in the past two days,  it's pretty clear we're on our last legs. The thing you got to remember is we're not getting any faster as we deteriorate, but rather the opposite. Also you have to consider we're not just going to waltz into the Houraisan stronghold and just take the flowers. There's going to be any amount of stonewalling, expected bribery, refusal to see us, and so on. And we're going to be in notably worse condition by then unless the disease miraculously stops getting worse.

The only way forward I can see is pointing out that she's in a zugzwang, and that's going to escalate things horribly.

Edit: Actually...I can see one way we could theoretically do it. But that requires us to be reasonably close to the edge of the continent (I think we are?), Murasa to be around, and for hang gliders to exist.

>Do gliders exist?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:54:14 AM by Sivrup »

« Reply #966 on: June 26, 2015, 03:59:05 AM »
I agree, there's not a lot of room for optimism. But we're not going to able to threaten Yuuka into submission. All that's going to achieve is her hurting us more, and we both know that we can't afford to take any more damage. Worst case scenario, she just kills us. She doesn't care if we die, she's not going to have any compunctions about killing us. This is not a situation we can strongarm our way out of.

« Reply #967 on: June 26, 2015, 04:02:22 AM »
>Do gliders exist?

>You think you've maybe heard of such devices in passing - kappa are forever tinkering with things - but never encountered one yourself.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #968 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:39 AM »
It's not that she doesn't care if we die, it's that if we go she comes with us. Thus the zugzwang and why she'd have to care. It's pretty much the only tool we have to getting anything other that more disdain out of her; nothing either of us have tries has worked. And, it might well have an effect if we suddenly stop caring, and further violence doesn't sway us.

« Reply #969 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:28 AM »
But that's a hollow threat. And you'd be gambling everything on her not calling your bluff.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #970 on: June 26, 2015, 04:29:41 AM »
How's it hollow? We're diseased. They have to spread, that's how they work as a species. Given that it's been affecting our blood veins visibly, it's almost certainly a blood-based disease. Meaning, our blood is dangerous as fuck, and she's already spilled it. And to kill us, she'd have to spill a lot of more of it; blood doesn't just evaporate out of a corpse. Hell, we could spill more of it ourselves.

So where's the lie?

« Reply #971 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:01 AM »
Because it we were contagious, everyone on the Maiden would have been dead by the time we got to port. And so would half the pirates or more, though we'd have no way to know that. Remember after we were infected by Yamame? We very nearly died before the day was out, and only divine intervention kept us alive, in conjunction with the sword designed to fight spiders and this stuff. The Maiden crew had none of that. If we could infect anyone in proximity to our blood, Murasa and us would have been the only two beings on the ship when we made dock.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #972 on: June 26, 2015, 04:59:08 AM »
They didn't get in contact with our blood. Yuuka has, via the vines. Moreover, she'd have to get in contact with us further to remove an remains; or risk them infecting the garden.

« Reply #973 on: June 26, 2015, 05:10:09 AM »
The crewmen who cleaned up our blood would have, though. And we did splash our blood on some of the pirates when we fought them in the corridor. That close quarters combat with bladed weapons, we splashed one of them, for sure. And probably the crewmen who were there as well. Or they would have touched our spilled blood during the fight. We touched theirs, they had to have touched ours.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #974 on: June 26, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »
Spoke with Draco to confirm some things, you're right. We don't have a disease, we were hit with a biological weapon that isn't designed to spread. So...guess we do have to bluff it, because I don't see any other viable options for getting through this. It's pretty clear she wants to leave and die.

« Reply #975 on: June 26, 2015, 06:14:51 AM »
Be honest, Purvis, do you really think you can bluff your way past Yuuka?
And on another level, you know Draco's style and habits about as well as I do. He wouldn't resurrect this game, shortened version or otherwise, just to give us a task we couldn't accomplish. He's not that sadistic a DM. I don't like that we came out here only to be turned around with nothing any more than you do, but I have to assume that we can still win.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #976 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
That's why I am certain it's the intended solution. If MAD isn't an option, then we need to make her think it's an inevitability.

« Reply #977 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:26 AM »
I can't agree. And it's not a risk we can afford to take. The way things have gone, if you try to look all ballsy now, she'll lose whatever patience she has left with us. We're going to need all the strength we have left to haul our carcass back to town.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #978 on: June 26, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »
Well, that's my point. We don't have enough strength to do that as it is. It's not coming back, not until we are cured. We barely know where we are. Retracing our steps is going to be difficult. Blazing a new path is even riskier and that's assuming there's a new path to be blazed.  We have a few days at best, and all signs point to less than that given how hard we've been crashing lately. Leaving...isn't an option, there's nowhere to go.

« Reply #979 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
And if we don't leave, Yuuka will just kill us.
We appear to be at an impasse. You don't hold any hope if we leave, I have no hope if we don't leave.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #980 on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:21 AM »
I suppose so. The difference is one is cold math, the other is merely unlikely. The latter choice is definitely the way to go in such a situation.

« Reply #981 on: June 26, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »
Nazrin would just like to pop in and point out here that if she doesn't have enough stamina to make it back to Val Razua, then she's already completely screwed. Even if you had the flower this moment, you still lack the other components for the potion as well as the expertise to prepare it - both of which require you to get back to Val Razua in the first place. So even in the best-case scenario, you still have a few days solo travel ahead.

As for barely knowing where you are, you have detailed enough map notes from the vantages you reached, as well as additions and compass measurements along the way, to fairly confidently navigate your way back; Nazrin is good at this stuff, remember! It's true that your physical condition is tangibly deteriorating, but you've still got enough in you to keep putting one foot in front of the other for a while yet, even if you'll have to be slower about it and take more breaks.

« Reply #982 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
You know, there IS just one last thing I think I can try with Yuuka here. I'm going to revisit an older gift from God.

>Insight Point: As a negotiator and clever speaker, has Yuuka given us any clues or hints or any other indication that she might be open to being convinced to give us what we need before we give her what she wants?

« Reply #983 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:58 PM »
>Insight Point: As a negotiator and clever speaker, has Yuuka given us any clues or hints or any other indication that she might be open to being convinced to give us what we need before we give her what she wants?

>If the short-term acquisition of the lunar orchid is as low-priority as Yuuka implies, and she truly is content for you to die in the process of trying to retrieve it, you would seem to have limited bargaining power. She appears to believe that if she gave you what you needed first, you would not return - which might honestly be the safest course of action, to be fair. You have little hope that promises will help convince her of this - not only because she seems disinclined to be generous in any fashion, but if she truly has no urgent need for what you can provide, it makes sense for her to hedge her bets against you breaking your promise; whether you retrieve her flower or die in the attempt, she has lost nothing. You get the impression she might even get some satisfaction out of you failing, making this a win-win situation for her. Honestly, without a sense of compassion - which she bloody well has demonstrated an absence of, damn her - what does she even stand to lose, no matter what happens? Either she gets her orchid or the satisfaction of knowing a rude little trespasser spent her last days struggling in vain for something she could have provided easily. This is a woman who clearly enjoys holding all the power in any situation, and as much as it galls you - she does.

>You have two insight points remaining.

« Reply #984 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
>Maybe we really were better off with the pirates. At least Ren seemed to have something approaching a sense of decency.
>All right, fine. If we must, then we must.
>Stand, if we aren't already. "Well. I guess I'd best be on my way. You'll see me again. I haven't let down a client yet."
>Let's start making our way back to town.
>If we can.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:04:09 AM by Wildsour »

« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:35 AM »
>Maybe we really were better off with the pirates. At least Ren seemed to have something approaching a sense of decency.
>All right, fine. If we must, then we must.
>Stand, if we aren't already.

>With a heavy heart and a sense of weary resignation, you pull yourself back to your feet. Your legs tremble precipitously beneath you when you bear weight on them; it takes a moment just to be confident of your balance. This wasn't what you'd hoped for. At all. Could you really have come all this way, found the unfindable, and then be forced to turn away without it? You could scream, if it would do you any good. Still, you can do this. You'll make yourself do this. You know where you're going, you know where to come back to, and all it's going to take is not keeling over in the meantime. Simple, right?
>And dammit, would your legs stop stinging already?

>"Well. I guess I'd best be on my way. You'll see me again. I haven't let down a client yet."
>Let's start making our way back to town.
>If we can.

>?I look forward to it," she says with a smile.

>Remembering your way back out of the garden is a little tricky, but doable. At least there's no longer any menace it holds worse than what you've already experienced. The flowers don't even bother watching you as walk away; somehow, you almost feel insulted.
>"Try not to die, now!" Yuuka calls out as you round the corner of the trail and pass out of view. "It would be quite a shame!"
>Yeah, really.

>The next few days pass in a blur of weary exertion, trees and hills and tiny brooks all blending into an endless tableau of lonely wilderness. The most contact you have is with a single chatty mouse who takes up residence near the hollow where you try to sleep on the second night; he wasn't very bright, and mostly just there for your biscuits, but it was a voice, anyway.
>The physical aftereffects of your encounter with Yuuka are mostly gone by the first night, but each day still feels harder than the last, each step paid for with just a little bit more spirit. It won't stop you from walking. Complete and total exhaustion wouldn't stop you from walking. The only thing that could stop you now is literally dying on your feet ? if you have to bankrupt your psyche to keep yourself alive, you'll do it. There'll be time enough to collapse in a heap afterward.
>The blight continues its inexorable spread across your body. The first mark stretches all the way down to your ankle as you wend across the wilderness and the back of your right hand is now nearly covered by a web of blackened tendrils. The last time you refilled your canteens, you could even see one that had snaked up past your neck to bloom darkly upon your cheek. There is no way that won't be immediately obvious to anyone who interacts with you unless you take special care to cover up.
>Your vision is also starting to blur slightly. You barely noticed it at first, or chalked it up to dry eyes, but no; the edges of objects are less distinct and colors muted, like there is a dark haze across the world. Are you going to end up blind before the end, too?
>At least the weather holds.

>It is late afternoon on the third day after leaving the garden when you reach the Grau again. That was barely quicker than the trip in, despite the route being much abbreviated by your knowledge of where to go; this does not bode well for the return journey. You are... not in great shape, to be frank ? exhausted, dull, unsteady, and short of breath. Maybe some of it's just the result of a week's constant hiking and not your organs failing. Some of it.
>At least you don't have too much further to walk before the boat ride and a chance to stay off your feet for an entire day. Maybe it'll even do you some good.

>Kagerou's house isn't far away from here, if you wanted to stop in for a moment and rest, though you're not sure how much it would accomplish beyond worrying her. With a wan smile, you wonder how her friend's birthday went. Hopefully someone found a happy moment in this wearying week.

« Reply #986 on: June 29, 2015, 04:03:52 AM »
>Do we feel that we need Kagerou's help? We did promise to see her again, but not like this.

« Reply #987 on: June 29, 2015, 04:07:25 AM »
>Do we feel that we need Kagerou's help? We did promise to see her again, but not like this.

>If you mean 'Do you need physical assistance to reach the village?', then no. You're in lousy shape, but you can still keep moving. As for anything else you might ask of her, that's up to you.

« Reply #988 on: June 29, 2015, 04:10:50 AM »
>What about supplies, are we still good there?
>If so, let us press on to town. We have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep.

« Reply #989 on: June 29, 2015, 04:50:55 AM »
>What about supplies, are we still good there?
>If so, let us press on to town. We have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep.

>Your supplies are still quite sufficient; you packed yourself a margin when you set out, and supplemented them with things you could forage, when you could.
>Sparring only a brief thought to the kind werewolf and you promise to her, you keep moving forward.

>It takes you another two hours to reach the edge of the woods and finally step back onto open ground for the first time in a week. You can see hints of the stonework bridge leading to the village in the distance, and even fainter hints of the village itself, spread out across the other bank of the river. This is the first you've seen of it before sunset, and it looks perhaps even more paltry for the better lighting. As you get closer, you notice that there is a riverboat docked, which you hope is a good sign - you have no idea their schedule.
>The bridge itself is empty of people, but there are a decent few milling around the docks, yarning idly while others slowly onload cargo from a small boat. If you planned to do anything to cover up the disquieting marks on yours face and limbs, this is probably your last chance.