Author Topic: Warriors of Light: Let's Play Final Fantasy I: Mod of Balance v3.3!  (Read 33462 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
So, considering I placed those votes in a couple different threads and some people might not be looking for them there, I'm just going to start a new topic for it and just use this thread for the LP once it starts.
So, once again, I'm planning on replacing my GoS LP with a Final Fantasy LP of some sort. Which one will  I pick? Well, I've decided that it would be one of three (and variations thereof, such as mods and challenge runs), though I'm thinking about others. How will I pick it? It's all up to you, guys! Vote here for which game I'll LP next! The choices are as follows:

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls- Mod of Balance v2.2
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls- Mod of Balance v3.0
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance- Four Job Fiesta

Also, I might think about adding Final Fantasy IV Advance and Final Fantasy VI Advance, but for right now I'm sticking with other games. So, make your vote, and once there is a clear-cut winner I will begin the LP! Also, if you are voting for Dawn of Souls, specify if you want Final Fantasy I or Final Fantasy II. There's a BIG difference between the two. ^^;
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:54:20 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Vote for a Final Fantasy Let's Play!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:04:38 AM »
Do FFI Mod of Balance, I haven't seen anyone play through it, and it makes Dawn of Souls more like the original FF in terms of difficulty.

Also, why no love for FFIII? Can you run the DS version? I'd like to see you try to do that one.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 05:13:46 AM »
I could probably run the DS version off of my laptop, true. I already own the game so downloading it is no problem, it's just that I'm really unfamiliar with the game compared to the other ones. Final Fantasy VI is also like that for me, hence why I don't really want to play it.
Also, if you are voting for Mod of Balance, do you want v2.2 (with class changes) or v3.0 (with the new modified classes)?

EDIT: For anyone who might be wondering, yes, the DS version is running fine off my laptop. I need to figure out a good setup for screenshots, because you can't separate the screens out. This might make doing an LP for it hard. I'd probably do the NES version of the game anyways if I were to have it as a choice. Right now, though, I don't want to play FFIII.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:34:47 AM by Validon98 »

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »
How do you keep up with updating all of your LP's? @_@

Voting for Mod of Balance 3.0 since this is the first I've heard of it.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
How do you keep up with updating all of your LP's? @_@

I do. Also, as I already said, I'm putting GoS on hiatus for now until I feel ready to actually finish it. I have absolutely no motivation to keep going with that at the moment. Hence why I'm doing this instead.
Also, I'm doing a minor test run for Mod of Balance v3.0. So far things are looking good, but holy crap are things in Elfheim expensive. Hurray for money balancing that makes it harder to buy stuff without grinding really hard!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
3.0 is fine, I think I only played 2.2.

IIRC, in FF1 NES/PS1, Elfheim had the same problem. :V Looks like you're gonna kill Ogres or Giants or whatever is around there for a bit.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
Well, um, we only have three votes (Ikari voted FFV privately). I don't know if I should call the vote yet. If I do, then we're playing Final Fantasy I with Mod of Balance v3.0, which is looking very interesting right now based off of my test run. I'm pretty sure I can get through this game. :V
So, unless anyone else wants to vote differently, we're going with Final Fantasy I: Mod of Balance v3.0! I'll wait on making an introduction just in case someone else wants to jump in with a different vote.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:31:58 AM »
FF5 Four Job Fiesta.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 03:39:38 AM »
Okay, I got a couple of private votes and the tally right now is:

FFVA: Four Job Fiesta- 3
FFI: MoB v3.0- 2

Looks like FFV has taken the lead! Hmm... well, I'm really fine playing either game. So, uh, yeah. I still think I should keep the vote open, if only for a little longer.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
I'd vote for FFV FJF, but I've never heard of FFI: MoB v3.0, so I'll go with that.
Did I create a tie?
If so, good.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »
You did create a tie. It's 3 for both games that have been voted for so far.
If this tie lasts a while, then I'm going to break it by playing FFI: MoB v3.0. I'm actually really curious to see how that will go, seeing how my test run is doing (I'm about to finish the whole Aldean Sea thing and move on with the game past that).

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 03:31:08 PM »
Well, uh, I had a thought. A lot of people have been saying how they have no idea what Mod of Balance v3.0 is. That made me think "You know what, because most people know what FFV is, perhaps I should leave that for afterwards?" And considering there are a bunch of people already playing FFV for the Four Job Fiesta right now, I feel as if playing FFV when I already have a FJF run I have to finish would be redundant. So, without further ado, I announce that I am tiebreaking the vote with Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls Mod of Balance v3.0! I'll make an introduction post momentarily, and then I'll probably make an update for the prologue stuff afterwards. I'll also try to get a  Valkyrie Profile update screenshotted and made today.
And for all of you people who voted for the Four Job Fiesta, don't worry: I'll do it after I play through Dawn of Souls. Speaking of which, I don't think everyone here may be too thrilled with this announcement, but because I'm doing Dawn of Souls, I will be playing both I and II first. Sorry if you don't want to see II, but I feel as if that if I'm doing I first anyways, I might as well do II and get it over with.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
Let's introduce this thing!

The title screen of the game as a whole, obviously. Of course, we can only do one at a time, so...

There we go!

Okay, first of all, some background stuff. We all know that Final Fantasy I and II were released together in a couple of different ways. The first was for the Playstation as part of Final Fantasy Origins. They weren't really released "together" for the PSP version, but they sort of were due to both being part of the whole Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary thing. This was the second time they were released together, and out of all of the versions this one is pretty solid. This version doesn't have the bonus content from the PSP version like the Labyrinth of Time or the Arcane Labyrinth, but they still are decent upgrades to the original NES versions of the games.

Then Jeff Ludwig came along. He was interested in rebalancing the Dawn of Souls version of Final Fantasy I in order to make it more like the original NES version in terms of difficulty, as the GBA significantly toned down the difficulty. He also made some balancing fixes to Final Fantasy II as well, unbreaking the broken stat leveling system. This mod he made is known as the Mod of Balance, and most people who have played it may have played v2.2.

But what about v3.0? Well, if you've played Final Fantasy I before, you know that your classes get upgraded after carrying out a certain quest. However, many people have realized that they can sequence break, get the class change super early, and then break the rest of the game's difficulty. That was kind of annoying to Ludwig, and thus he decided in his most recent version of the Mod of Balance to remove the class upgrade entirely and replace it with having twelve special new classes to choose from. These classes are as follows, divided up into groups created by Ludwig himself:

Primary Warriors:

Knight- Your typical Fighter. He can use a lot of good equipment and does well physically, but he never ever gets magic. All he can do is hit things really hard.
Rogue- Much like the Thief in the original version of the game, he's super fast and has insane amounts of Luck, but the Rogue also has some decent defense to go with it. He also doesn't get magic.
Master- One of the two Black Belt type classes with a bit of a twist. Like the Black Belt of the first game, he does really well fighting unarmed and has a really nice innate defensive boost, which only gets stronger as the game goes on. He does get a few spells, unlike the original game, but they're just compliments to his normal abilities.

Secondary Warriors:

Paladin- The super tank of the game, able to withstand lots of punishment before going down. Like the Knight of the original game, he gets some access to White Magic, but he does so right from the beginning, Of course, his White Magic spell draw isn't as comprehensive as other classes, but overall he's a decent class.
Ninja- Much like the Ninja of the original game, Ninjas are really fast and can use a decent amount of Black Magic. That combined with an extremely high evasion makes them pretty decent, although they are squishy.
Ranger- The Red Mage equivalent of this version. Although Rangers are slightly better at physical attacks than magic, their versatility makes them good at the very least early on in the game.

Secondary Spellcasters:

Enchanter- An interesting variation on the Red Mage. Enchanters have access to all White Magic with the exception of Holy as well as the Black Magic spells related to buffing like Temper and Haste. Enchanters are also quick and deal good damage physically, although their defenses are lacking.
Battlemage- The Battlemage compliments the Enchanter by focusing on having almost all Black Magic as well as the defensive buffs from White Magic. They're somewhat tanky physically but also slow, which is the opposite of the Enchanter essentially.
Monk- The other variation of the Black Belt in this game. Like Masters, they are good unarmed but they can do well with weapons too. They also have access to a variety of White and Black Magic, making them a strange hybrid of Black Belt and Red Mage.

Primary Spellcasters:

Priest: The White Mage of the game, who has access to every White Magic spell with the exception of the new Chakra spell.
Archmage: The Black Mage of the game, who has access to every Black Magic spell with the exceptio of the new Pummel spell.
Sage: A combination of the Priest and the Archmage. He has access to all White and Black Magic with the exception of Chakra and Pummel, but in return he's extremely squishy compared even to the other mages. His large spell draw also doesn't take into account the fact that each person can only have up to three spells from each level, so his large spell draw is reasonably balanced.

And that's it. My test run that I've been doing is with a Master, Paladin, Enchanter, and an Archmage, which gives me a lot of options for combat. That's also probably going to be my party for the actual LP itself, although if you want to see any of the other classes in action let me know. I'm also not going to go over Final Fantasy II related stuff right now, because I need to actually get through Final Fantasy I first. So anyways, next time, we'll begin!

"When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light will come..."

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
Re: Warriors of Light: Let's Play Final Fantasy I: Mod of Balance v3.0!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »
Prologue- World of Darkness

Okay, let's just get a move on with this thing!

Our class selection screen, already filled out. For the naming theme it was between Touhou characters like it is in my semi-test run (which I really don't need to continue seeing as I'm doing this now) or some of the names of people who'll read my LPs. You can probably tell which one I picked. Also, don't worry about the glitched sprites, they won't actually be glitched during the rest of the game.

So things are already going to hell? That's just great... Also we've got ominious music to kick things off.

I suppose that's good and bad. Good because no more sandstorms. Bad because wind is vital to the Earth's ecosystem. Although this isn't Earth, this is World A (for those of you who have played Dissidia and know what I'm talking about).

As if they didn't rage enough.

That's not really good either.

Couldn't they just do something about it themselves instead of sitting on their asses?

Well, the world is veiled in darkness, so...

Four young travelers who are almost completely broke, own very little in terms of armanents, and are complete novices. The only reason they're qualified to save the world is that they hold the plot trinkets and this is a JRPG.

I don't know why I included that. It just looks nice.

And here we are, right below the town of Cornelia! Also, the remixed version of the World Map theme is awesome.

I told you not to worry about those sprites! Also, this is our menu, which has it's own theme. As you can see, you've got items, magic, equipment, status, formation, configuration, and a save option. They all pretty much do you expect them to, but I'll go over them next time once we actually get to some real gameplay. For now, let's go to Cornelia!

Looks like a nice enough town. The town theme is really relaxing in my opinion.

Are we handsome?

Apparently not. Well, you know, I assume that traveling a lot doesn't make your face look all that clean.

Umm, no thanks. We've got more important things to do. Like get a drink. Any pubs around here?

Yeah, yeah, it's a Dragon Quest reference.

Technically we're supposed to be saving the world or something, but I guess we could help with that too. After that drink, though.

Well, hopefully he does well on his search! We're definitely not those warriors, oh no no no! We're just looking for the bar!

*sigh* Fine. We were just jacking with you about not being the warriors.

Pretty much. Also, have a castle theme.

They're right here.

Well, Lukahn isn't dumb. Then again when is a sage ever dumb?

Okay then, we'll just pack up our bags and go home... wherever home is. It's a JRPG with personality-less protagonists, so we don't really have a home.

I guess not. Well, uh, it's great that you've been searching for us, but what do you want us to do? We just kind of have these crystals that are absolutely useless to us because we have no idea what they even do.

Yes?

What happened to her?

Ah, a rebel. Well, it seems like you're doing a good job running the town, but then again I don't know if you've done someting wrong or something to piss him off.

Sure, we can go track this guy down while you sit on our ass and do absolutely nothing.

Sounds ominous, but it should be fine... I think.

Let me guess, you got beaten?

So when your own men, who are probably highly trained and loyal to you, can't take this guy out, you instead turn to a bunch of young adults who barely have any combat experience, money, or weapons, merely because they hold some shiny rocks? JRPG logic, people!

We haven't really said that, but I guess if we have to save the world, we need to get around the world.

Can't you like swim across or use a boat?

Of course, you could just rebuild it now. Man, I can't believe you're sitting on the throne with this kind of logic. No wonder he was an idiot in 8 Bit Theater.

We'll try not to die, I guess. But that's all I'm doing for now, because next time we're actually going to do gameplay stuff!
Also, you might notice that the links for the music brings you to the Playstation versions of the songs. Well, the Playstation, GBA, and PSP versions of all of the songs are more or less the same, the only differences being audio quality.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
FUCK YES PALADIN, I'MMA TANK EVERYTHING WITH MY FACE.

Also I love how you point out when JRPG characters are acting like idiots. XD

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
New classes? No class promotions? Sounds like Ludwig was on an FFV kick when he was designing this. :V

I look forward to seeing how you handle the enemies. And by "handle" I mean "get stabbed to death by them," they're that tricky.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »
Is the Peninsula of Powerlevelling still in this? Y'know, I've never used it. For the longest time I didn't even know it existed (I knew about FF2's).
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 03:25:55 AM »
Yes, it exists in every version of the game, including this one. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it, considering Diara doesn't show up until Spell Level 5 in Mod of Balance, unlike the original where it shows up at Spell Level 3. It's certainly riskier to grind there in Mod of Balance than in the original version, as I have already attempted in my other run.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »
Yes, it exists in every version of the game, including this one. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it, considering Diara doesn't show up until Spell Level 5 in Mod of Balance, unlike the original where it shows up at Spell Level 3. It's certainly riskier to grind there in Mod of Balance than in the original version, as I have already attempted in my other run.
Have the random encounters been changed around much? If not, the area southwest of Pravoka is great for grinding early on. Lots of encounters have undead enemies (ghouls I think) which drop big ol' wads o' dosh. Ogre encounters are frequent, too, which are even better. All in all, the area is better for money/exp. than the Elfland area and you'll be real close to a town for emergency inn visits and antidote sales.

The new class listing seems to give one a lot of different ways to play while still being very effective. Yours is a pretty keen mix, too.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
This interests me, highly. Ludmeister also made a Custom Classes mod for FFV too, which I kinda like. It's pretty nifty, so you should give that a go sometime in the future.
(Plus, it'd be fun to see you lampshade the stuff in FFV.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
I have considered doing the Custom Classes Mod for FFV, but I was kind of thinking it would completely break the difficulty of the game. If enough people are interested, however, I'd be happy to give it a go after finishing up the Final Fantasy II portion of the game (I WILL DO THAT TOO AND GET IT DONE REGARDLESS OF DIFFICULTY).
Also, I don't know really any of the monster formation changes, so I'm not sure about the area near Provoka, but I'll give it a shot in the next update after the one I'll be posting as soon as I can.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
Even in a game without a big story, I will still manage to divide it up into acts. BECAUSE I DO THAT DAMN IT!

The Warriors of Light- Part 1: Knock 'em Down

Let's start off by going over some game stuff.

The item menu. We've got nothing.

The Magic menu lets us use our spells and also get rid of excess spells. Each character can only have three spells per Spell Level and can only learn spells of a certain Spell Level once they have reached certain levels. Sadly, there is no documentation for the Spell Level thresholds, so we're just going to have to play it by ear. And pray a little. Praying might help.

Equipment is somewhat obvious. We've got a Weapon slot, a Shield slot, a Helmet slot, an Armor slot, and a Glove or Arm slot. Weapons are weapons, Shields have a chance to nullify physical attacks, and the other three mainly provide defense boosts although they can provide other stat boosts. Weapons can sometimes do that as well, like how Staves can increase Intellect.

And here's the stat screen. You can see your HP, MP, XP, XP to the next level, your Magic Level, your equipment, and your stats. Strength determines attack power; Agility determines turn order, accuracy, and I think also Evasion; Intellect determines spell power; Stamina determines HP growth and I think also defense; and Luck determines running chances and I think magic defense. Below that is your Attack and number of hits, the latter of which you could not see in the original version of the game but you can see in Mod of Balance. Hit Rate is accuracy, and every 16 points you have in it you gain another hit. Defense and Evasion are obvious. Resist is your magic defense, which again you could not see in the original version of the game, only in Mod of Balance.

Some straightforward settings. You can also check out the Bestiary here, which you might want to in Mod of Balance. You see, all enemies now have a potential to drop something. I've had enemies in my test run drop stat boosting items that I thought you couldn't get until late-game, so pay attention.

Anyways, we need to go shopping. Here, have a shop theme.
In Mod of Balance, some of the spells have been replaced or otherwise altered. Pain, for example, did not exist in the original version of the game. Instead you had Fog, which was a multi-target Blind. Pain is instead a multi-target Dark damage dealing spell. We won't get it yet, though. A simple Fire spell will do for the early grinding phase.
After doing shopping, it's time for grinding! If we go to the Chaos Shrine now, we're goners. We need some levels and some more Gil to buy more equipment first.

Here be the battle screen, with the classic Final Fantasy I battle theme. Remember how in Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline we inputted our commands and then they occurred in an order depending on everyone's speed? Well, the same happens here. You can attack, use magic, use items, equip stuff, or flee the battle. You can also defend yourself, iirc.
These guys, by the way, are really simple. The Skeletons are a bit tougher than the Goblins, but it's nothing a good Fire spell can't take care of.

Unlike most Final Fantasy games, this one shows you how many hits you're doing in combat. Each hit is a multiplier to a base amount of damage, so if you can do more hits, you can do a lot more damage.

Wolves are a bit stronger, but still easy enough.

Unarmed attackers actually start out with two hits rather than one, even without having a Hit Rate over 16.

Goblin Guards are a bit stronger than Goblins, and they can cast Protect, which makes killing them slightly more challenging. Only slightly, though.

Crazy Horses are one of the tougher enemies you can meet around Cornelia, but as long as you're not level one or he doesn't hit one of your mages, you're fine.

Also, there's the broken bridge, just to let you know.

Enemy groups can be very large compared to later games in the series. Trust me.

There's Protect being used, but, well, it doesn't really matter.

Black Widows are also fairly dangerous, and I think they can Poison you with their physicals, but I'm not entirely sure.

Hanging onto life with 1 HP like a champ, Al.

Oh, by the way on the GBA version you can look at the World Map by pressing B and Select together. It's really handy considering it even gives you a list of all of the places you've been.

It even lets you zoom it! Where the cursor is is where the Chaos Shrine is, by the way. It's not too far of a walk from Cornelia, but the random encounter rate in this game is pretty high, so be careful.

Huh? This cave didn't show up on the world map...

Earthgift Shrine? Huh?

Okay...

Dwarves in this game have a stereotypical Scottish accent, obviously.
Also, does that mean we can't enter?

I guess not. Well, anyways, this is the first of the four Soul of Chaos dungeons, as they're known. Basically, you can't access them until later, but they're all bonus dungeons anyways so it doesn't matter quite yet.

And here is the Chaos Shrine.

My god, this remix of the Chaos Shrine theme... it's just so good.
Beautiful music aside, we've got this place to explore. Technically Garland is a straight shot up the middle, but there's some treasure we can get on the left half of the dungeon.

Zombies here are one of a type of enemy that can inflict Stun, which is basically Paralysis. In other words, this type of enemy is super dangerous. Don't let them live long!

Let's try out Pain!

Could be better, honestly...

Things are starting to definitely get tricky around here...

Gigas Worms can hit your party super hard right now. Be very careful around them.

Well, let's go in, shall we?

Garland! At last we meet.

Uh, it doesn't just work like that.

You're looking straight at us! You have no reason to ask "who's there."

Some guy in a really big suit of armor?

Well, technically Ikari's going to be setting your ass on fire, but other than that, I think so.

It's like "You Spoony Bard," except less funny in my opinion.

Unlike the original version for the NES, this version of the game has boss music. Here be the first boss theme. I swear I read somewhere that someone translated the name of the song as "Inside a Boss Battle," instead of "Mid-Boss Battle" like it should be. Then again, the kanji for "inside" and "middle" is the same last time I checked...
Anyways, Garland here only uses physical attacks. Applying Protect can help cushion the blows. Don't worry TOO much about getting a character killed off, because Garland is really simple to beat.

And that does it.

Hey there, Sarah. Are you okay?

You could give us money so that we can actually buy the ridiculously expensive stuff in the game.

Yeah, we kind of knew that.

Well, I think we did a little more than "defeat" him...

Sure, why not?

Your soldiers must be really incompetent if they couldn't beat Garland. He was a cakewalk.

As if having the crystals didn't already tip you off.

Ah?

Right, right...

We're still vague here...

Okay, so we need to hurry. That's something.

Well, that's a good start!

Dude, there's more than just monsters causing problems here...

Again, why you couldn't have done it earlier I have no clue.

Kaythanksbye.

Okay...

Maybe he likes playing it?

Uh... thanks?

There's no way this little old thing is going to be of any use.

But anyways.

Yay, happy music!
Also, I guess by building the bridge you are helping us save the world. Let's give the laymen a hand!

It'll let us actually go somewhere rather than staying on a conveniently secluded patch of land with no access to almost the rest of the outside world, thus requiring an early game quest. RPG progression, man.

Yup, we're here to save the world. I guess. Still not exactly sure where to look for the other crystals, though.

Let's cross!

Of course, the Prologue plays here. Everyone here should know the Prologue, right? If you don't know both the Prelude and the Prologue you are not a Final Fantasy fan in my book. ^^;

I missed a line, but it was basically something like "Thus they began their journey" or something like that.
And why wouldn't you feel overwhelmed? Everyone is basically relying on you to save the world and if you fail then the world will end. Simple as that.

And yet having them is qualification for being the Warriors of Light. You can be dense, destructive, crazy, or bastardly, but as long as you have the crystals you're officially a bonafide Warrior of Light. That was kind of a reference, by the way.
I really wish whatever forces of nature decide this sort of thing actually made better decisions instead of giving power to the ragtag bunch of misfits you see in every RPG.

Right. As you saw on the main menu, they're dim and grey, not lit up with their colors.

Right. Let's try not to be bad at this.

Yay, menu logo.
But that's it for today. Next time we'll head on out to begin our search for the first Crystal.

Summary:

Treasures: Leather Cap (Serela), Chain Mail (Al), Tent

Drops: Leather Armor (Serela), Knife, Leather Gloves x2 (Ikari), Broadsword (Al)

Bought Items: Staff (Ikari), Leather Gloves x3 (Al, Meguka, Serela), Leather Cap x2 (Al, Meguka), Leather Shield (Al), Potion x3, Antidote x2, Sleeping Bag

Learned Spells/Skills: Fire (Ikari), Cure (Serela), Protect (Serela), Pain (Ikari)

TPKs: 0 this update, 0 overall
Oh there will be TPKs. Trust me.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
This is the first ive heard of this mod o balance, and i was absolutely crushed after realizing my copy of dawn of souls had gimp difficulty, which is one of the best features of the oldest ff game.

Anyway ive tried researching info on my own but its a pain via phone since i cant access my cpu yet. But is there any means of playing this mod on a DS or a PSP (or a gba but very unlikely lol)? I dont like playing emulated portables on my PC. I have the actual gba cart if that helps somehow.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
If you have a GBA emulator on your DS or PSP, probably. The mod only is for the GBA version of the game, obviously. I don't think having the actual cart will help you all that much, considering that this mod is an IPS patch that is meant to be applied to a clean ROM of the game. In other words, unless you play it with an emulator (on a PC or on any other console that can emulate the GBA), you're not playing Mod of Balance. Sorry. ^^;

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
Yeah i figured that part. But knowing it really does patch a clean rom tells me itll work on anything you can emulate it on (i hope ds/psp has gba emulators, not sure, will check). Such would not be the case if it was just a rom image itself pre-patched =)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »
So everything drops something now? That's neat! Maybe you can list some of the more significant monsters and drops at the end of each part, I know someone did that with Etrian Odyssey. But this looks fine so far, keep up the good work!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:54 PM »
Actually, that sounds like a good idea! I already note down all of the monsters I encounter in my notes so I can actually give you guys the correct names, so adding in drop information wouldn't be too hard especially since all the drops are viewable in the Bestiary. Here's the enemies and drops from this last update:

Skeleton (Leather Shield), Goblin (Knife), Wolf (Leather Gloves), Goblin Guard (Leather Armor), Crazy Horse (Robe), Black Widow (Spider's Silk), Zombie (Leather Armor), Gigas Worm (Potion), Garland (Broadsword)

The Broadsword from Garland is a guaranteed drop, I think. That's REALLY good for Al there right now because it's certainly way better than the Hammer he started off with.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:36 PM »
Well, that's useful info I suppose. I'll keep it in mind when I do a run of this.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »
I love how you perfectly represented me.

AN INSANE PYROMANIAC <3