Author Topic: General Magic: the Gathering Discussion BIG Rules Update  (Read 32804 times)

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
General Magic: the Gathering Discussion BIG Rules Update
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Pro Tour Dragon's Maze is streaming all weekend on twitch. The format's are Return to Ravnica block constructed and Return to Ravnica draft.

Also I'm looking for a play test partner on MTG Online. I'm going to a 5k in Dallas next weekend and since I'll be on the road I won't be able to test paper. Let me know if you're interested or if you're going we can work something out. 

Any of my fellow maidens play Magic Online or paper Magic now days? I'm looking for  test partners and people to chat Magic with, since my local game store closed and the next closest is 35 miles away. Quick background, I got my first cards when I was 11 have been playing for 13 years on and off.

My MTGO screen name: Pork_a_later (Got it from the name of a gun that turns people into pigs in some FPS). Feel free to add me and just put your MotK name in the message so I know who you are.

anyway some Magic ramblings.
Current standard (Innistrad Block, M13, RTR, GC) is one of the healthiest formats I've ever seen. They are also amazing draft sets. Innistrad Block and Return to Ravnica are both very powerful and have tons of cards to build around, which leads to many viable archtypes.

From Mono Red/RGW aggro, Midrange BRG and UWR decks, to UWB control decks that only mill you out, anything can win. There is some combo and WGB reanimator (best deck imo) as well.

For Magic Online. If you've got an account I'd love to play test serious games with you or I can build some casual deck to battle with for fun. Hell I can probably give/loan some cards out to people I know I can trust to get them started. There's also a free trial mode where you can battle with premade decks.

So anything goes MTG wise in this thread talk about: Spoilers, Decklists, and Tournament, best decks, rules questions (I'm a level 1 Judge) and amazing plays. Even little stuff like what kind of card sleeves are best or how to prepare for a tournament. This is getting long so I'll share my stories after someone responds.

MTGO Maiden Handles
Zirene: Pork_a_later
Parallaxal: Parallaxal
yuyukos: hatofhats
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:16:33 PM by Zirene »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: Magic: the Gathering Online and Offline
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
Rare to see MtG threads popping up.

I play the Magics; both actual cards, and on Steam. (Got the 2013 one as a gift.) Puppy plays too. XD

Got involved with MtG properly during Innistrad; was on the build up to Dark Ascension's release. Been enjoying my time playing; haven't really entered many tournaments, but the two I did, I finished 6th & 3rd respectively. {Green/Red Werewolves & Blue/White Spirits.} No one was able to deal with flyers that tournament, I just screwed up the first match, then won all the others 2-0. Was most frustrating. Surprisingly, I only lost 1 match in both tournys, so I guess I'm building them right. XD

I have a mixture of standard legal and non-standard decks (all of which I made myself); along with 3 out of 4 Planechase decks, and the Riku Commander deck. It's fun to get into; can get expensive if you constantly buy stuff, hence why pacing yourself between releases is vital. I don't play seriously, even in the two tournaments I took part in; then again, that was because I wasn't expecting to do well at all, I got a little more serious the further I got. :V

So yeah, nice to see another MtG player. ^^

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
What's your MTGO name and Puppy's if she doesn't mind? We can play test and I can help you with some cards possibly. I've been on a roll drafting. Started with 9 packs 8 Tickets and I'm up to 25 Packs.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
I'm an old hand.

Started playing way back during Unlimited.  Been playing on and off since then (mostly off).  Last time I was into the game was Zendikar/Scars.  Nowadays I keep to the DotP cardgame if I want a fix, as it no longer involves me purchasing cardboard.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
[H] 4x GPT Steam Vents

[W] I dunno. Willing to trade for games on Steam.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
Edible if you feel like downloading the PC program you can do something similar to DotP with trial decks and I wouldn't be adverse to loan you some cards to get started with a deck that can compete with most decks. One thing that would be cool would be if we could get a MotK draft together or a multiplayer/FFA game.

Oh yea! There is a Pauper format which is commons only. Cheap format and a blast to play. Hell I have so many of some commons (not all the old ones) I might be able to give someone a decent pauper deck first come first serve.

Also Commander is really cool (singleton) format. choose a Legendary Commander, with a lot of diplomacy and easy to get into with the precons which are 30$ and worth every penny. The Precons are actually pretty competitive now and almost always come with a Planeswalker.

Everyone! Post your MTGO name so I know who's who!
Started playing way back during Unlimited. 
Still have the cards? Any dual lands or power?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
All my really good cards (dual lands etc) I've sold at some point, usually to buy more cards.  I still have a bunch of old crap in a box but I doubt much of it is worth anything.

I did play Commander for a bit since it was new the last time I was playing.  Great fun.

I probably won't be getting into MTGO though... but drafting is my favorite format by far.  Hm.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
I got into it a little after Innistrad. I have a few intro packs, but none are really updated. I'd play MtGO, but I'm broke, so for the most part, I've been sticking to DN for my cardgaming needs.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »
I live with and hang around with a number of very active players.  I never really got into it but I'll occasionally draft with them (preferably cube draft) or play Commander and will usually get slaughtered.  One of my friends has a particularly hilarious deck with Azusa, Lost but Seeking as the commander. :V

I do have a box back home with a ton of old cards, including a handful of dual lands, though...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
Even for you guys who don't play anymore there's a Dragon's Maze prerelease April 27-28. Those are always a great way to get back into the the groove or just have fun one weekend. Also this block Return to Ravnica is probably my second favorite block of all time, original Ravnica being first.
I still have a bunch of old crap in a box but I doubt much of it is worth anything.
You would be surprised. I found 4 Wastelands in the bottom of my box and quite a few legacy/modern staples at a garage sale (Dark Confidant, Thoughtseize, and a LOT of shock lands)

One thing they are doing that's nice is making mana fixing plentiful, consistant, easy to acquire, and making land plentiful. Mana bases can sometimes be half your decks price.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »
Standard here.

I've been trying to build a Bant tempo deck but all the components for it (shocks, thragtusks, etc) are so expensive it's going to take a while.

Also Ral is OP as fuck

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:29:11 AM »
currently trying to set up a flicker deck

Cloudshift
Thrull Parasite
Orzhov charm
Revoke Existence
Soul's Attendant
Vault of the Archangel
Obzedat Ghost Council
Restoration Angel

ill decide on the amounts later on. basic idea is flicker and extort. Im also making it so i can swap this deck around to be vintage or standard because temporal extortion fits the theme so well

im also looking for a planeswalker atm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:44:31 AM by Dr Rawr »

Parallaxal

• Moon Sign "Theft of Dreams"
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
I'm on MTGO as well. I love drafting, but haven't had much time to play as of late between med school board exams and other interests. Username is also Parallaxal.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
One thing I really love doing is building decks with other people's idea or testing other's decks to tweak them. If you would like, post your idea for a deck you want to make or a deck you already made and I'll "doctor it. It would help me if you let me what you want to use it for and what format you'd like it legal in. For example, kitchen table magic, Friday night magic, or Pro Tour/GP caliber lists.

currently trying to set up a flicker deck

This would be my version of flicker, considering the metagame right now.

24 Creatures
4 Cathedral Sanctifier (ETB gain 3 life)
3 Ravenous Rats (ETB opponent discards 1 card)
4 Cartel Aristocrat (Power house and sacrifice outlet, this card is big game)
1 Skirsdag High Priest (Makes killing your creatures and attacking a nightmare for them)
1 Mentor of the Meak (Draw trigger triggers of off 17 creatures)
3 Fiend Hunter (Exile a creature, return it when FH dies)
4 Restoration Angel (ETB, flicker a non-Angel)
2 Disciple of Bolas (ETB Sac another creaturn, gain life and draw x where x=sac creatures power)\
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council (ETB drain 2, may exlie at EOT [your's only] and return it battlefield during upkeep, it gains haste)

13 Non-Creatures
2 Cloudshift
2 Tragic Slip
3-4 Orzhov Charm (Love this one!)
4 Lingering Souls
1-2 Sorin, Load of Innistrad (Here's your Planeswalker!)

23 Land
5 Swamp
7 Plains
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Godless Shrine
2 Vault of the Archangel
1 Cavern of Souls (Naming human covers 13 creatures and naming Advisor covers 6 to make them uncounterable)

Sideboard tentative and based on my meta evaluation:
3 Duress
2 Blind Obedience (Very underrated, there are many good haste creatures right now)
2 Underworld Connections
1 Tragic Slip
1 Sever the Bloodline
2 Rest in Peace
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Obzedat
1 Skirsdag High Priest

Lots of cool things going on here. Playing a Feind hunter and blinking it, with the exile a creature trigger on the stack, causes the creature to be exlied permanently, so you get rid of 2 creatures at once. Orzhov charm can bring back 11 different creatures, makes 2 of the modes very good. With Lingering Souls and Sorin's Emblem (+1/+0 for the rest of the game) you can come out of nowhere and kill someone.

I really don't like the Thrull Parasites or the extort. You'll be using most of you mana every turn and with Vault you have something to do with an empty hand.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »
I was actually considering adding restoration angel but too expensive :derp:. I was just thinking of just adding the actual card flicker and use the planeswalker sorin lord of innistrad. Those permanent emblems are really good especially with cards going in and out of exile.

Im also scraping the standard, i almost never go to friday night magic and my friends play vintage.

Also I remember reading some where if I block with a creature and use cloudshift right before damage is resolved my creature takes no damage right?

The reason behind extort was because im also some what on a budget but I already have most of the cards so far. But I guess I could turn it to a pure flicker deck

edit: i actually just saw you recommended sorin also :V
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:06:51 PM by Dr Rawr »

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »
Also I remember reading some where if I block with a creature and use cloudshift right before damage is resolved my creature takes no damage right?

That worked back when damage stacked. Once M10 came out the rules changed back to no damage on the stack You could put damage on the stack and blink your creature, save your and kill theirs. Now you just assign blocker order and damage, then it resolves right after that. So basically damage happens at land tapping speed.

You could replace a color with blue. Ghostly Flicker flickers 2 artifacts, creatures, or lands. Voidwalk can also flicker but the creature doesn't return until the end of the turn. It is a sorcery but it has Cipher (Place a copy of the spell every time the Ciphered creature deals damage to an opposing player). So if you put it on a flyer they are in a lot of trouble.

There is also tradition bounce like Unsummon, Silent Departure, and Saving Grasp as well. And as usual, adding blue gives you access to the games best cards, counterspells.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
yea i could do that but i already have a pure blue control deck.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »
I probably won't be getting into MTGO though... but drafting is my favorite format by far.  Hm.
I have some packs waiting for you if you sign up~~~

Parallaxal

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:14 AM »
This calls for a new signature.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
This calls for a new signature.

Hot damn that is awesome. I love Tamiyo even if she isn't too good right now I still try to jam one in so I can Ancestral Recall when she ultimates.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »
Id tap izzet and rakdos

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Parallaxal

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »
Nah, Simic-tan is the best. Dem glasses.

Yesterday night was a good night for Dragon's Maze previews. We got Armadillo Cloak and Morphling 2.0. Feels like Time Spiral all over again with the nostalgia.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 05:06:31 AM »
Ah! I didn't notice Simic-tan had megane. ;-;

First thing that struck me was Izzet-tan.

I'm really just waiting for Dragon's Maze before I build a Bant Tempo deck.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Parallaxal

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to see when it's tiny like that. Here's the original.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
One thing I really love doing is building decks with other people's idea or testing other's decks to tweak them. If you would like, post your idea for a deck you want to make or a deck you already made and I'll "doctor it. It would help me if you let me what you want to use it for and what format you'd like it legal in. For example, kitchen table magic, Friday night magic, or Pro Tour/GP caliber lists.

Sure. This is basically the Blue Black Starter from Mirroden Besieged. I tried changing things around a bit, but I wasn't sure what direction I wanted it to have. I'm thinking I want it to fill it with a bunch of floater-people that give me draws that activate Psychosis Crawlers effect.

Creatures

[1]Flayer Husk  (sort of a floater, he's cheap and makes other guys tougher)
[2] Fume Spitter  (cheap removal, or makes other guys weaker)

[2] Myr Sire
[3] Oculus
[1] Reassembling Skeleton
[2] Devouring Swarm
[1] Jace's Archivist
[2] Phyrexian Rager
[1] Bonehoard
[2] Pierce Strider
[1] Skinrender

[1] Phychosis Crawler

[1] Chancellor of the Dross

Other Stuffs

[1] Gitaxian Probe
[1] Ponder
[1] Tragic Slip

[2] Contagion Clasp
[1] Doom Blade

[3] Vivisection

[1] Corrupted Conscience
[1] Mind Control
[1] Spread the Sickness

So far, I want more cheap stuff. Vivisection's really awkward to use here. I want to replace them with Altars reap or the blue one that does the same thing. I want more Tragic slips too, the creatures here die a lot. The Myr Sires are cool, but I think I could go for something better.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Star City Games, one of the largest secondary retailers of Magic cards, has 5k tournaments every week. They stream them throughout the weekend. It is a great chance to watch over a highly skilled player's shoulder and maybe see a new deck or line of play.  I don't work for SCG so I'm not trying to advertise, just sharing some cool, useful content.  :D

Here a link: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/130420_seattle.html

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »
SCG premium account is also really worth the money.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
SCG premium account is also really worth the money.
It really is worth it. The play test session are nice but, Sam Black's articles feel the most like insider information to me. I've won quite a few matches with his creature sacing brews.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 01:14:37 AM »
I mainly use MTGO for PTQs and Prerelease/Release events. Feel free to add me at hatofhats
Also, Selesnya Onee-sama :blush:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:33:57 AM by yuyukos »
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
So far, I want more cheap stuff. Vivisection's really awkward to use here. I want to replace them with Altars reap or the blue one that does the same thing. I want more Tragic slips too, the creatures here die a lot. The Myr Sires are cool, but I think I could go for something better.

What are you going to do with this deck? Are you just playing some fun kitchen Magic or are you play with certain old sets? Basically what are your constraints for card selection between 1-10, 1 being as cheap as possible and 10 being power 9 please, what are you willing to spend without divulging actually dollar amounts since its the internet? :D Also remember you can always proxy expensive or rare cards on a basic land. Hell I almost always proxy cards and test them before I trade for or buy them unless I think its a good investment (Like my friend who bought 4 Tarmogoyf's, 1 foil, for 10 dollar back in the day).

Also how competitive do you want it? Do you want to do cool stuff with a powerful deck and unique combo, something to crush people with, or something a little more budget with more bang for the buck type cards for some fun games?

I could do both, I really love building deck, its a great exercise, and even played a lot with the deck I made for Dr Rawr on MTGO to some success. Moar Couldshift blowouts. It feels like there is something there with Mentor of the Meek and Disciple of Bolas but I think Sphinx's Reveltion just does it better even it it can't win the game on its own.  There's something there with Obezdat though, with Cavern of Souls you have so much inevitability.

At my local game store we play Invasion, Oddesey and 7th edition standard because it has too many fun decks and great cards (Upheavel). Greats like The Rock, Fires of Yavamiya, Beasts, UG Madness, RG Aggro, Mirrari's Wake, Squirrel Opposition and of course PSYCHATOG. So making your own formats or playing old ones can be a lot of fun and cheap so its your call.

I've lived the ultimate Dragon's Maze dream.  You don't have to believe me but I opened a DGM pack and got a Voice of Resurgence and a Blood Crypt instead of the guild gate in the same pack! in addition I opened a Hallowed Fountain and a Blood Baron of Viskopa. In total I opened 3 RTR and 3 DGM packs so half mythics is nuts.

I guess its my lucky day I bought Rock Band and Rock Band 2 for PS3 for $1 each. Both work from little testing and there's no visible scratches. Love those garage sales, I just go looking for games and cards and always find sweet deals. Buying someone's old MTG collection really got me started by giving me enough trade fodder to get a deck going.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:18:31 PM by Zirene »