Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey Thread - This is not broccoli #ATLUS  (Read 96538 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Re: Etrian Odyssey Thread - This is not broccoli #ATLUS
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »
Looks like our MC isn't just a gruntbot. I like that! (I know highlander-tan was supposed to be player surrogate, but)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Looks like our MC isn't just a gruntbot. I like that! (I know highlander-tan was supposed to be player surrogate, but)

he's also voiced by midorikawa :v

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »
Sadly it looks like Grimoires are back; but it remains to be seen if the system is tuned up at all to be better (It could be a great system, but there's far too much of an RNG quotient for it to be practical)

also fuck yeah Prince/Princess coming back they're my second favourite EO3 class (after Wildling - call them useless and I will cut you show you a wildling soloing Abyssal God)

also you realise this means Cherry Tree Bridge getting remade oh my god also a not-shitty arrange of Shiver finally

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #303 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
Personally I'm excited to see an expanded story for EO2. I thought the game had quite a nice little story, for what it was, and was intrigued by all the parts it left to the imagination. Can't wait to see what Atlus does with this remake, and what answers they give us. :3
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
It just hit me that a revised game likely means an even harder Ur-Child.

I never even made it that far in the original (even if I did beat maingame) :ohdear:

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2014, 03:20:11 AM »
I never actually played past stratum 1 completion in EO2, and even when I watched Krimmydoodle stream it, he pretty much skipped the game via how insanely broken Hexer Revenge was. So, playing EO2DX will be pretty cool.

The story party is... probably going to be static again, it seems. Buh. But, at least this one looks like it's more interesting. Although it's probably not going to let you class change to Beast so uh, crap ;_; I have a feeling the party recruiting a pet isn't going to be likely due to CUTSCENES where everyone would need to be there.

But yeah, like, I'm pretty interested in how they're going to rebalance Beast. EO2 overall could really use a rebalance since it's classes were a mix of really shitty and broken as fuck. I'm -very- unexcited about grimoires returning though... I hope they get a big overhaul in how they work.

Also mildly curious if Highlander is going to be added to the class roster (for classic mode/class change), since they're supposed to come from the area where EO2 takes place. But, since I don't particularly care either way, W/E. Slightly more curious if Princess/?????? will be locked until finishing story mode still but I bet they will be.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:22:57 AM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
It just hit me that a revised game likely means an even harder Ur-Child.

I never even made it that far in the original (even if I did beat maingame) :ohdear:
EO2 postgame was kind of a bitch because everything was quest-locked to progress anywhere... so I didn't complete it either.

That said, Ur-Child's reputation is as either "reasonable" or "the hardest boss in the series" depending on when you fought him.  In one of day/night, he followed an almost entirely predictable pattern of actions that made it possible to deal with him... in the other, it caused him to throw AI out the window and just random-select every action, including his "you needed to Protector Force skill on this turn or you die".

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »
EO2 postgame was kind of a bitch because everything was quest-locked to progress anywhere... so I didn't complete it either.

That said, Ur-Child's reputation is as either "reasonable" or "the hardest boss in the series" depending on when you fought him.  In one of day/night, he followed an almost entirely predictable pattern of actions that made it possible to deal with him... in the other, it caused him to throw AI out the window and just random-select every action, including his "you needed to Protector Force skill on this turn or you die".

I will maintain that Night Ur-Child is still one of the most blood-pumping boss fights I will ever have had the misfortune pleasure of playing out. Repeatedly, because of the many, MANY wipes.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »
While I enjoyed the EO2 post-game, I admit that Ur-Child came dangerously close to stymieing my 100% run permanently. Thankfully, there's a rather colorful way to cheese the fight involving
Spoiler:
3 low level landsknechts with just enough levels on them to max out counter, allowing them to counter Ur-child's attacks for 8000 damage a piece courtesy of the protector force skill
. I'm rather sad it came to it in hindsight, but I'm sorry Atlus I am NOT grinding for weeks just to stand on even toes with a single boss. >:< Here's hoping the remake makes the fight more reasonable, or at least the grinding process faster.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:10:16 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Welp.

5 Medic Trip Report:  Victory.

Final subs and levels were M/B 63, M/L 63, M/B 60, M/R 63, M/A 63.  I forgot to check how long the battle took but I was able to take down the Bared Essence in a single go thanks to a hilariously lucky stun right before it tried to reform, immediately followed by my Hood Circle actually binding its head for the last two rounds.

God damn but this was stupid.  I have conquered.  Get rekt nerds!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2014, 03:45:44 AM »
Congartulations!

(I should resume my 3 Dancer run by trying to beat the dragons)

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
I suppose for little kids, this could be a good difficulty...?
Or people like me who suck at games like this and keep deluding themselves into thinking they'll be any good at them.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

theshirn

« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:31 PM »
oh god someone help me I beat eo4 with 5 runemasters

the final battle took fifteen turns

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :colonveeplusalpha:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2014, 03:30:44 AM »
oh god someone help me I beat eo4 with 5 runemasters

the final battle took fifteen turns

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :colonveeplusalpha:
your damage output is insane though but I guess so's the damage intake

theshirn

« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
your damage output is insane though but I guess so's the damage intake
yeah well I also beat all three dragons first try

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
i just got EO4 in the nintendo eshop sale and my goodness the character models are cute

also i'm still giggling at my fortress named tessie, shortened from "testudo"

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
Speaking of people just getting EOIV, someone please take my toys away before I hurt myself with them :ohdear:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:42:47 PM by Kilgamayan »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
that team is almost my team you'll be fine it's perfect for linksknechts so you're better than fine

but yes WELCOME TO EO4

theshirn

« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
eo4 is awesome and you can do all kinds of crazy stuff with that

-resident crazy eo4 person

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #319 on: September 12, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
I just got Untold as a gift

help

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #320 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »
I just got Untold as a gift

help
play standard unless you're familiar with EO games already seriously Expert is kind of teeth-pulling at a few points even as a series veteran

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #321 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
play standard unless you're familiar with EO games already seriously Expert is kind of teeth-pulling at a few points even as a series veteran

oh
I jumped right into Expert because I thought it'd be fun
Um. It's hard.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #322 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »
oh
I jumped right into Expert because I thought it'd be fun
Um. It's hard.
You might be able to pull it off, but Expert really expects you to know how to build characters and stuff.  You should be able to rotate back to Standard on the options screen though.

Also Classic or Story?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #323 on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
Story.
Spoiler:
Ricky is chilling with max Vulcan Stance and Double, highlander is handling Bloody Offensive and head binding so Arthur can get even more alchemy damage going.

I've gotten to the third stratum on Expert, so it's not like I don't dislike expert. Standard might be underwhelming as this point, I guess.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #324 on: September 12, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
I've gotten to the third stratum on Expert, so it's not like I don't dislike expert. Standard might be underwhelming as this point, I guess.
Ah, I thought you'd just picked it up.  You're probably fine then, although the third and especially fourth bosses are the hardest of the main story, I thought.

theshirn

« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »
Ah, I thought you'd just picked it up.  You're probably fine then, although the third and especially fourth bosses are the hardest of the main story, I thought.
They are, but hardly insurmountable.  I'd honestly recommend people stay on Expert for the Real Etrian Odyssey Fuck You Experience, standard is lame :V

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #326 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »
Does doing the "Story" mode in Untold mean I won't be able to choose my own party? And does skipping it mean I won't get any connecting story in the game?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
Does doing the "Story" mode in Untold mean I won't be able to choose my own party? And does skipping it mean I won't get any connecting story in the game?
1. Yes, although once they hit level 30 you can Class Change (ala retire) them into classes of your choosing if you want.

2. No.  Classic Mode still has the story as told in the original EO1 (which some vastly prefer compared to Untold's), but you won't get all the extended story details (/rewrites in some cases) that Story mode got.  The major loss playing Classic is that you can't access Gladsheim, and if you don't play Story first you can't class change into Highlander/Gunner ; but to make up for it you have your own party selection and unlike EO1 Ronin/Hexer are immediately available as options so go nuts.

Oh, and speaking of things missing from Classic Mode, Famitsu has confirmed that EOU2:
A. has a classic mode
B. that will still contain all the new features being added to Untold 2's Story Mode (the new dungeon, city growth, etc.)
C. will also come with sixteen portraits per class (the same four designs, but there's variants for each design in different poses, etc.), and
D. will enable you to pick Beast and Princess right off the bat.

In other words EOU2 Classic will be a fully enhanced experience without any catches.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:21:54 AM by Garlyle »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »
Will it come with multiple save slots? I don't remember if that was ever confirmed either way.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Will it come with multiple save slots? I don't remember if that was ever confirmed either way.
I believe it was stated that there'd be extra save slots on the SD card.  The game card itself (physical copy) can only hold one but they're going to allow you to have extra saves on your SD, so yeah, that too.