Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 45120 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2013, 04:39:20 AM »
Sorry for the delays in posting lately; I've been kept extremely busy by some other projects, and this may actually continue into the future, but I will try at least to get a few more updates in than I have this past week.

>"She's kind of a legendary figure, out around Isir's Cross. But related to that, do you know anyone around who's done work out that way, or has experience with the place?"

>"A legendary gardener?" the woman asks, raising a dubious eyebrow. "Can't say I've heard of anything like that. We do get job requests from out that way every now and again, of course. Not sure we have any resident experts, if that's what you're looking for, but you could always ask upstairs."

« Reply #271 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
>Do we know what would be upstairs in this place?
>If not, ask.

« Reply #272 on: March 10, 2013, 06:57:43 AM »
>Do we know what would be upstairs in this place?
>If not, ask.

>From the chatter you've heard issuing from the stairs both times you've been here, you'd guess it was some sort of common area like the one back home, but you don't actually know for certain. You ask.
>"Oh, I meant the lounge," the woman says. "There's always a few of you intrepid types passing through. One of them might know what you're looking for."
>"One of them might know what you're looking for!" Kyouko repeats merrily. The woman at the counter raises another eyebrow in her direction. The yamabiko seems either not to notice or care.

« Reply #273 on: March 10, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
>Crack a small grin. "Always liked the sound of that word, intrepid."
>Give Kyouko a second to try that one out.
>"Well, thanks."
>Allons-y! (Sally forth in that direction, for those that haven't seen Doctor Who.)

« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »
>Crack a small grin. "Always liked the sound of that word, intrepid."
>Give Kyouko a second to try that one out.
>"Well, thanks."
>Allons-y! (Sally forth in that direction, for those that haven't seen Doctor Who.)

>"Intepid!" Kyouko echoes on cue, then smiles at you. "You, too?"
>"Sure," the woman at the counter nods, though not without casting a wry glance between the two of you.
>You turn and head up the stairs toward the sound of conversation and hopefully more information; Kyouko follows behind.

>After a brief but steep climb, the stairway opens onto a comfortably appointed lounge, perhaps modest by the standards of the city, but without a doubt more expensive to furnish than the one back home. And also smaller. The bearing and manner of its occupants feels quite a bit familiar, though, if with fewer younger faces in it - a consequence of apprentice training being housed in Braston, you expect. Certainly these Seekers are not garbed as one in the riches the city could offer, but probably those who might have better places to congregate than the upstairs lounge of a guild of 'intrepids'.

>"Rematch," someone says in a composed, but firm tone - a young woman with short black hair and a steel gaze, despite being barely a head taller than the rabbit seated opposite her.
>"Three out of five, then?" her companion asks, left ear twitching as she gives the woman a sidelong grin. A shogi board rests on the low mahagony table between them; the game was evidently a rout.
>"Oh give it up, Sheska," a third person chastens, though not harshly. "Unless you want to waste another day at this."
>"It's only a waste if I keep losing," the black-haired woman counters, her eyes unwavering in their focus. From elsewhere in the room comes a snicker, its owner safely veiled behind a large bundled report.
>The rabbit shrugs dismissively, then starts gathering up pieces. "Got nowhere else to be today, anyway."

>A few appraising eyes fall upon you and Kyouko as you enter into the room proper, the pair of planters in tow - a not unexpected response, given the audience. Sheska does not number among them; you aren't certain if this speaks well of her focus or poorly of her awareness. Also, if you're not mistaken, the blond-haired woman sitting alone in the corner is the one you passed on the way into the guild yesterday; she is reading quietly from a small book held open in one hand, and seems to have paid no notice to your entry.

« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:53 AM »
>Is that the same rabbit as yesterday?
>How strong is our shogi?
>What sort of book?

« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2013, 04:48:54 AM »
>Is that the same rabbit as yesterday?
>How strong is our shogi?
>What sort of book?

>It doesn't appear to be; her hair's too dark, and you think she's a little taller, too.
>You haven't played it much these past few years, but you were modestly good when last you did; you wouldn't lay great odds against a seasoned veteran, though.
>It is small and blue. At this distance you can estimate nothing further about its contents.

« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2013, 05:36:36 AM »
>Well, since we seem to have their attention anyway, wave jauntily to our co-Seekers.

« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »
>Well, since we seem to have their attention anyway, wave jauntily to our co-Seekers.

>You respond to your fellow Seeker's quiet appraisals with a jaunty wave.
>"Heya!" the rabbit says, craning her neck around to give you a better look. A few others nod or offer a quick greeting, while more merely give you a once-over and return to their business.
>"Hello!" Kyouko offers brightly, waving her own hand with somewhat greater enthusiasm than you.
>The rabbit snickers. "Always thought this place could use a little more green."
>Sheska looks up from gathering her decimated armies just long enough to lock those firm eyes on the two of you and your precious cargo before retuning to her task.
>From the corner, you see the blond-haired Seeker glance very subtly over the edge of her book for just a moment, her expression neutral and cool.

« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:53 AM »
>Always go with the perky ones first. Approach Bugs Jr.
>"Matter of fact, I'm looking for a little more green. Or rather, a specific green-keeper, if you will."
>"Name's Nazrin, by the way. And this here's Kyouko."

« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »
>Always go with the perky ones first. Approach Bugs Jr.
>"Matter of fact, I'm looking for a little more green. Or rather, a specific green-keeper, if you will."
>"Name's Nazrin, by the way. And this here's Kyouko."

>As you approach the rabbit, she pushes off her chair a little and spins around to face you better.
>"Sachi," she says, giving you a nod.
>Kyouko smiles. "Nice to meet you, Sachi!"

« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
>"I'm looking for a certain garden, and its gardener. Rumor has it they can be found somewhere in the wilds around Isir's Cross, but so far, no one I've talked to was able to tell me more than that."
>Grab a chair if one be available.

« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
>"I'm looking for a certain garden, and its gardener. Rumor has it they can be found somewhere in the wilds around Isir's Cross, but so far, no one I've talked to was able to tell me more than that."
>Grab a chair if one be available.

>"Pretty out of the way place to set up shop," Sachi says, starting to pick up her shogi pieces again. "And what're you looking for it for?"
>You grab a nearby chair and swing it around, then sit down. Sheska looks at you a moment; if you had to guess, you'd say she wasn't sure whether your presence was unwelcome or not.

« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
>"It's for a job. One I'm not really at liberty to divulge the details of, at least not until it's over with. Suffice it to say, this garden may hold something I need."
>Snort. "If I can ever find it, of course. I figured that someone here might have spent a bit of time out that way, or at least might have heard of the name Yuuka before, give me something to go on."

« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
>"It's for a job. One I'm not really at liberty to divulge the details of, at least not until it's over with. Suffice it to say, this garden may hold something I need."
>Snort. "If I can ever find it, of course. I figured that someone here might have spent a bit of time out that way, or at least might have heard of the name Yuuka before, give me something to go on."

>"Don't spend much time out of the city, myself," Sachi says. "'least not out that way." She throws an inquiring look at her partner.
>Sheska slides a lance into place with her finger, pauses, then shakes her head.
>Sachi shrugs. "Well, so much for that. Name don't ring a bell, either."
>"Yuuka..." Kyouko repeats thoughtfully, pursing her lips to the side.

« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »
>Glance around to see if anyone else reacted to the name.

« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2013, 04:35:58 AM »
>Glance around to see if anyone else reacted to the name.

>You glance around the room for reactions. One Seeker shakes their head as your eyes pass over them, though most don't seem to be paying overt attention to you.
>"Hey, Riza!" the rabbit says, twisting around towards the rear of the room this time. "You've done some work out that way, haven't ya?"
>The blonde-haired woman lowers her book slightly and regards the group of you with cool eyes; her expression suggests she is debating whether it's worth her time to bother offering a response.

« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
>Not the warmest of Seekers, that one.
>What sort of vibe did we get from her yesterday, if any?

« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2013, 04:54:23 AM »
>Not the warmest of Seekers, that one.
>What sort of vibe did we get from her yesterday, if any?

>The contrast between her and Sachi wouldn't be hard to pick up on.
>From the brief moment you spent in her presence, she seemed polite enough, and sharp. It's hard for even you to get much of a read on someone that quickly, but you'd lay odds that she's both perceptive and subtle, if not exactly warm - probably experienced, and definitely cautious.

« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2013, 06:02:29 AM »
>Give her a moment.

« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »
>Give her a moment.

>You wait in silence for some kind of reply, though Riza does not seem in a particular hurry to provide one; you can't help but feel you're being sized up, though her eyes move little.
>"I have," she says at length.
>Sachi gives a satisfied snicker. "Thought so."

« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »
>Nod slowly. We can play that game, too.
>"Run across the name while you were?"

« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »
>Nod slowly. We can play that game, too.
>"Run across the name while you were?"

>You nod slowly, attempting to match the woman's pace.
>"No," she says simply. "But I haven't spent much time there for many years now."

>Sheska slides the last of her pieces back into place. "Ready when you are," she declares firmly to her opponent.
>Sachi shrugs and turns back around to face the board. "Well, it's yours to lose."

« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
>Let's stand and leave the two to their game.
>Hey, wait. When we were approaching, did it sound like there was any gambling going on around the game's participants and/or audience?

« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2013, 07:23:18 AM »
>Let's stand and leave the two to their game.
>Hey, wait. When we were approaching, did it sound like there was any gambling going on around the game's participants and/or audience?

>You stand up, so as to avoid getting in their way.
>You did not hear anything suggestive of that, nor do you see any signs of it around now; and frankly, your suspicion is that enough odds would be on floppy-ears to make the whole endeavor pointless.

« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »
>Unless she had a bookie and was working the crowd.
>But since that obviously isn't the case..
>"Does that mean you never found a field of flowers that seemed out of place, a garden hidden away? That kinda thing?"
>Memory refresher, Dai told us where that fairy village was and how to get there, right?

« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
>Unless she had a bookie and was working the crowd.
>But since that obviously isn't the case..
>"Does that mean you never found a field of flowers that seemed out of place, a garden hidden away? That kinda thing?"

>As near as you can tell, it's just a friendly game between acquaintances, even if the matchup is a little lopsided.
>"Exactly how out of place are you talking about?" Riza asks.

>Memory refresher, Dai told us where that fairy village was and how to get there, right?

>She did not, though you saw it on a map and it looked straightforward to find. Actually reaching it might be a little more problematic for you than her, as you assume she'd just fly right over the lake, but you can probably figure out alternate transport somehow.

« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2013, 02:39:53 AM »
>What was it Dai said about where she thought the garden might have been, west of her village?

« Reply #298 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:28 AM »
>What was it Dai said about where she thought the garden might have been, west of her village?

>If it was further into the wilderness and quite distant from the village, as she said, your memory of the map would necessitate it being either northwest or more likely west-northwest.

« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »
>Of course, if we knew how out of the way, exactly, we'd hardly need to ask about it, but we can stow the snark for now.
>"Wish I could say myself. But I'm pretty light on the details."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:22:42 AM by Sourtori »