Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 45115 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #900 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
>"How often does stuff like that come up, anyways?"

« Reply #901 on: November 28, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
>"How often does stuff like that come up, anyways?"

>"Like what exactly?" she asks.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #902 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
>"Well, all of it. The poachers, the drunks, the customs weirdos, and whatnot."

« Reply #903 on: November 28, 2013, 03:14:51 AM »
>"Well, all of it. The poachers, the drunks, the customs weirdos, and whatnot."

>"To be fair, we don't get many poachers anymore after they stopped getting away with it, but people come across the border every day and about the only ones coming overland are either too poor to buy a ticket any other way or those with something to hide - stolen goods, contraband, or just themselves. Would be a good place to disappear from sight if someone wasn't watching all the time. Sure, about the only thing fired across the battlements these days is paperwork and harsh language, but the weapons aren't all for show either. Or if they are, they still do their job," she adds.
>"What about you? How often do you go chasing after sleeping terrors?"

« Reply #904 on: November 28, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »
>Sigh slightly, then grin a wry grin. "Starting to feel like I've been doing nothing but since I made full Seeker. Apart from when I met those pirates, they weren't so much the 'sleeping' kind."

« Reply #905 on: November 28, 2013, 03:34:30 AM »
>Sigh slightly, then grin a wry grin. "Starting to feel like I've been doing nothing but since I made full Seeker. Apart from when I met those pirates, they weren't so much the 'sleeping' kind."

>"Pirates?" She almost, but not quite, raises an eyebrow.

« Reply #906 on: November 28, 2013, 03:38:51 AM »
>"I had the distinct mispleasure of meeting one Aya Shameimaru and her crew between Estval and here."

« Reply #907 on: November 28, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »
>"I had the distinct mispleasure of meeting one Aya Shameimaru and her crew between Estval and here."

>Sekibanki lets out a whistle. "They don't come much bigger than that."

« Reply #908 on: November 28, 2013, 03:59:35 AM »
>"Yeah. And if you can believe it, she's got an ego even bigger than her reputation. I'm a Seeker, not a soldier, and I know that holding a grudge only hurts business in the end. But I gotta tell you, I'd really love to have a chance to bring her in, if I could."

« Reply #909 on: November 28, 2013, 04:13:25 AM »
>"Yeah. And if you can believe it, she's got an ego even bigger than her reputation. I'm a Seeker, not a soldier, and I know that holding a grudge only hurts business in the end. But I gotta tell you, I'd really love to have a chance to bring her in, if I could."

>The captain chuckles darkly. "You and a few thousand other people. If anyone ever manages it, they could probably buy themselves a whole palace with the reward money."

>At this point, a strait-laced woman with dark hair ascends the stairs behind you with a bundle of rolled papers tucked beneath one arm. She salutes with the other.
>"The charts you requested, sir."
>Sekibanki nods shallowly. "Just leave them on my desk."
>"Yes, sir." The woman steps forward and does so, depositing a series of long and short tubes upon the bare wooden surface. She barely acknowledges your presence, though you do catch a furtive glance in your direction after she unloads. She looks like someone who would consider brewing coffee to be an assignment of the utmost gravity.

« Reply #910 on: November 28, 2013, 04:42:38 AM »
>Extend thanks.

« Reply #911 on: November 28, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
>Extend thanks.

>You offer the woman thanks, which she acknowledges with a perfunctory bow and little else. Duty discharged, she takes brisk leave of the room and descends the stair once again, leaving the two of you to sort through her delivery.
>Sekibanki is at work even before she is gone, unfurling a series of charts one after the other, as though she were dissatisfied with what each prior one had to say.
>"It's in this area somewhere," she says, circling an unpleasantly large region near the far extent of the one of the widest-ranging maps. It is not that dissimilar to the one you examined at the library, to be honest, though some of the others are far more detailed. There are indications of numerous walkable paths within several miles of the fort - probably some of them form patrol routes, though none of these charts seem to indicate anything revealing about the fort's own activities, to the point that you assume it is intentional. Beyond that, the curve of the rivers is indicated with considerable precision, with markers for fordable crossings and barely passable terrain. Both the terrain and the maps themselves grow poorer further out, though you can still spot a few potential routes that avoid some of the worst of the elevation changes, assuming the topographic markings are accurate. The old mining sites you've heard referenced several times are clearly indicated, and are also a fair bit out of your way. There are even some hints of cabins near the Grau and elsewhere, though only a few.
>Sadly, it looks like even an ideal route cannot avoid climbing up and down and around a dozen different hills, if you want to go that far out - so basically what Sekibanki already said.

« Reply #912 on: November 28, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »
>presumably these maps reveal no obvious paths or trails passing through these hills a humanoid could take advantage of?
>Scan the area for seemingly isolated bodies of water unconnected to the rivers.

« Reply #913 on: November 28, 2013, 06:10:28 AM »
>presumably these maps reveal no obvious paths or trails passing through these hills a humanoid could take advantage of?
>Scan the area for seemingly isolated bodies of water unconnected to the rivers.

>There are some relatively level passes, here and there, but even a best-case route looks to leave a lot to be desired. Personally, you doubt even the more explicitly marked trails nearer the fort are much more than vaguely clearer terrain that's been trodden on a bit.
>There are a couple small ponds here and there, but Sekibanki's statement that there isn't much water beyond the Grau seems born out by the map, drinkable or otherwise.

« Reply #914 on: November 28, 2013, 07:02:08 AM »
>Now that we've had a better look at the terrain, is that three-day estimate still looking realistic?

« Reply #915 on: November 28, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »
>Now that we've had a better look at the terrain, is that three-day estimate still looking realistic?

>You definitely think it could be. The clincher will be the final leg of the journey, where the maps are less use and your destination only vaguely known. Well, that and the weather, but it's been clear for a couple days now and will hopefully continue to be.

« Reply #916 on: November 28, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
>That's something at least.
>Still... Sigh once more, then shake our head. "Nothing's ever easy, is it."

« Reply #917 on: November 28, 2013, 07:41:50 AM »
>That's something at least.
>Still... Sigh once more, then shake our head. "Nothing's ever easy, is it."

>"Seems that way most days," Sekibanki says dryly.

« Reply #918 on: November 28, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
>"Still, if the- Oh." Grin. "Shouldn't say that out loud, I'll probably jinx myself."
>Let us not tempt the gods of the weather.
>"Ah, well. Griping about won't help me any more than it did when I was fighting Aya's crew."
>"So apart from Yuuka, what other sort manner of threats can I expect to find out there? I mean in terms of predators, scorpions, snakes, that kind of thing."

« Reply #919 on: November 28, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »
>"Still, if the- Oh." Grin. "Shouldn't say that out loud, I'll probably jinx myself."
>Let us not tempt the gods of the weather.

>You've never met any of them in person, but hopefully none of them are feeling particularly capricious at the moment.

>"Ah, well. Griping about won't help me any more than it did when I was fighting Aya's crew."
>"So apart from Yuuka, what other sort manner of threats can I expect to find out there? I mean in terms of predators, scorpions, snakes, that kind of thing."

>"There's the odd snake, but I doubt any will give you trouble. Too far north for scorpions. Maybe if you're really unlucky, some bear will get cranky with you, but there aren't many of them and they usually mind their own business. You do know how to find your way around a forest, yeah?" she asks pointedly.

« Reply #920 on: November 28, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
>How much water does our canteen hold? In terms of how many days we think we can stretch it.

« Reply #921 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
>How much water does our canteen hold? In terms of how many days we think we can stretch it.

>At a normal drinking pace and without opportunity to refill, you would not expect it to last even a whole day. With strict rationing and a little discomfort, you could extend this a bit. Fortunately, it doesn't look like water will be an issue for the first day of the trip and perhaps even a little beyond, if you follow the Grau as long as you sensibly can. Beyond that, you expect there will still be a scattered stream here or there, and possibly some of the ponds might even have drinkable water, if you can angle for them. As a youkai, you at least have less to fear from drinking from random bodies of water than most, but probably it would still be a good idea to ask someone who might know for sure. Ideally, you'd probably want more water capacity than you have on you at the moment, though.

« Reply #922 on: November 28, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
>Do we currently have enough food for a six-day journey there and back?

« Reply #923 on: November 28, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
>Do we currently have enough food for a six-day journey there and back?

>No. At a well-rationed pace, you expect you have enough to last maybe three days with the kind of exertion you anticipate on this trip. You have no idea how possible foraging will be along the way.

« Reply #924 on: November 28, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
>"That won't be a problem. But I think you're right, water might be an issue. I'm definately gonna need a bigger canteen. And probably some more supplies as well. But nothing I don't think I can't get back in the village. It's time that's my enemy."

« Reply #925 on: December 01, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
>"That won't be a problem. But I think you're right, water might be an issue. I'm definately gonna need a bigger canteen. And probably some more supplies as well. But nothing I don't think I can't get back in the village. It's time that's my enemy."

>"We might have a few things in surplus you could use," she says. "For probably cheaper."

« Reply #926 on: December 01, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
>She said the magic word.
>"That would be superb."

« Reply #927 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »
>She said the magic word.
>"That would be superb."

>"Besides a canteen, what do you need?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #928 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »
>What kind of travel gear do we have onhand?

« Reply #929 on: December 02, 2013, 04:14:31 AM »
>What kind of travel gear do we have onhand?

>While it is arguable what of your current inventory counts as travelling gear, the most obvious things include a compass, a couple days worth of rations, your canteen, a large coil of rope, 2 glowsticks, 2 torches, a small heatstone, a simple grappling hook, and your dowsing rods themselves. You suppose even the umbrella may have its uses.