Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189049 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)
« Reply #960 on: October 28, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
I had this question bouncing in my head for a while: Would people join a game if it had MS-style long deadlines, and you only had to poke your head once every day or two? Basically a toned down game activity-wise. I'd consider playing something like that myself, so...

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #961 on: October 28, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
I'd play Mafia here, but SkyPal is a jerk and didn't let me sign up to his Anonymafia.

Which is so Anonymous I'm not even sure he's running it.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #962 on: October 29, 2015, 05:26:56 AM »
I had this question bouncing in my head for a while: Would people join a game if it had MS-style long deadlines, and you only had to poke your head once every day or two? Basically a toned down game activity-wise. I'd consider playing something like that myself, so...
I finally get a chance to post this image on Shrinemaiden:

I might still be able to play Mafia, but I basically didn't want to sign up for A PX Game and I kinda forgot this existed when Sky's game got posted (I'm not real fond of his Mafia community tho) and Mitsuki's.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:28:43 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #963 on: October 29, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Since starting full time work it seems I no longer have time to play or even run a mafia game. 

Therefore I must regretfully withdraw my game and wish best of luck to the next moderator who's available. 

I apologise for the delay.  I truly thought I could manage it; it seems three years of part time and casual work has spoiled me. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #964 on: October 30, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »
I'd play Mafia here, but SkyPal is a jerk and didn't let me sign up to his Anonymafia.

Which is so Anonymous I'm not even sure he's running it.
I know it's off now based on SkyP's recent post, but yeah were the signups ever actually open? XD I mean, there was never... really... a post about that... :S

also rip motk mafia
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #965 on: October 30, 2015, 05:53:03 AM »
Funny thing about this: MS is trialling a Blitz Queue, ie a queue where games have a max of like 5 days per game day. ie a Reasonable Queue.

Also Fakegod says anyone who wants to touhou upick can pre-in with him in the next week, so probably starting in a week then!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »
Funny thing about this: MS is trialling a Blitz Queue, ie a queue where games have a max of like 5 days per game day. ie a Reasonable Queue.

Also Fakegod says anyone who wants to touhou upick can pre-in with him in the next week, so probably starting in a week then!
Is it one of those blitz games? I'd play it

EDIT: 9 days, eghhhhh... it's not TWOWEEKS but it's still retardedly long days. Whatever, I could use a Mafia game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:27:22 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
It's 9/2. Shadoweh, Sky Palladium, huh what, Kilga, and myself are in the game so far.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »
I have a 9p Setup ready but that seems unlikely to fill given how most people still need to play that game on MS first
----------
WOOHOO EDITED BC I REMEMBERED TO
(or more like so I won't be called out on being lazy :v)

IDOL HELL MAFIA
If you are into idols, you would know that being an idol pays like shit, you are also expected to keep an oath of celibacy, to vouch to never tarnish your image of a pure, innocent waifu such that fat otakus everywhere can wank off to lewd pictures of you on a dakimakura while feeling super clean and healthy. Kim Kardashian except. But anyway, you are actually in Japan now, and in fact, you are not JUST in Japan, you ARE one of the idols who has been thrown into this variety show that aims to promote cross franchise idols, and by promote we mean 'screw up the other faction's reputation so bad all the fat nerds will consider them unfappable and boycott their goods'. Less fortunately, because you never meet each other in real life because of said busy schedules, you need to actually figure out who to direct your efforts to shame. This may sound all gloomy and all. Yet indeed, the cruel world of IRL idolism is evil and unrelenting. Truly, idolism is war, idolism is pain, being idols are suffering, and you should definitely not be prepared to be thrusted into this cruel world of thievery, backstabbery, ornery and betrayal if you are not mentally prepared.

Though you should join anyway because its fun. Especially if you are new to this mafia stuff, its basically just you and your words, and how well you can manage to deceive others to believe you are on their side (if you are the informed minority with additional secret communication privileges) or figuring our who actually are the backstabbing scumbags (if you are the uninformed majority, who can only post in this thread)

LE RULES
1. 9 Player game

2. Standard mafia rules apply, that means no chatting on steam or stuff or secretly leaking everyone's alignment, this is also a vanilla game, which means no players will have special abilities unless specified in these rules.

3. Games are divided into two sections. Days are 'On Air', and Nights are 'Commercial Breaks'. The two factions, 'Uninformed majority/Town' and 'Informed minority/Scum' will be called 'IM@S' and 'INFERIOR IDOLS' respectively, 'IM@S' faction will get to vote and talk in thread and has 7 players, while 'INFERIOR IDOLS' faction is limited to 2 people who can do everything 'IM@S' does in addition to being able to talk in a secret chatroom during the duration of the game, not that inferior in terms of abilities, eh?

4. 'On Air' lasts for 72 real life hours, during which all players can discuss in the thread and use the command ##Vote: [Playername] to decide who they suspect to be of the opposite faction, and upon reaching a majority, the voted player will be eliminated from the game. Eliminated players cannot post and cannot vote anymore in the thread. There can only be one player eliminated each phase, and their alignment will be revealed. If there is the same number or less 'IM@S' players than the 'INFERIOR IDOLS' faction at the start of a new 'On Air' phase, 'INFERIOR IDOLS' win. If all 'INFERIOR IDOLS' are killed off, 'IM@S' wins.

5. 'Commercial Breaks' last for 24 hours, and are intended for letting players to chill a bit before the next voting phase, in this game, all players can discuss in the thread even during this phase. And the 'INFERIOR IDOLS' faction will also get some time to decide which player to secretly eliminate from the game in their secret chatroom. The evil scumbag faction can only kill off one person too during this phase though.

6. This is a mechanic unique to this game, upon the start of the 'Commercial Break' phase I will post the details for a Event which will change the gameplay of the next "On Air" phase provided it passes a majority vote. Events may actually change the requirement which players need to be eliminated, or may just be pure derp, this is left ambigious so players don't speculate, but don't worry, as this game is intended to also be newcomers friendly, Events are promised to be nothing outrageous. This also means D1 will be a guranteed normal day.

7.To join, just post so in the thread, you may also submit the name of an idol of whom you wish to be playing that in-game role, I will try to write up some fun flavor stuff upon eliminations or start of each phase to entertain players and your idol profile is who I will be basing that upon. Send me who you want to play as by PM or by posting in the thread if you are okay with other players knowing, do note that the mods knowledge of idols basically extends to everyone in IM@S, LoveLive, a few AKB48 girls, some western stuff like Florence and the Machine, Adele, etcetc and possibly some anime seiyuus. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you can include at least one 'IM@S' idol as your main choice, and a 'backup' idol provided you do roll the Informed Minority and needs an extra role, or you will by default get worst girl Yazawa Nico, and if that's taken, second worst girl Dog Chan, or whom I still don't remember her name.

LE LIST OF PLAYERS

Proofreading is for scrubs so I'm posting this now, will keep updated.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:19:02 PM by DNAbc »
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
I was rereading MicroMadness 2 to bide once again on the twoweek funtimes. I'll always remeber the fun I had trolling dormio.

I still giggle when I come to the post where it dawns on me that was a game where the theme was clowns, like, it was such a random thought. Also everyone of Dormio's posts. And Om's.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:32:15 AM by NekoNekoRex »

Bardiche

« Reply #970 on: December 24, 2015, 08:21:42 PM »
What better way to spend the time twixt Christmas and New Years deceiving people and hanging them for it?

Bardiche

« Reply #971 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
No seriously, let's lynch someone.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #972 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »
>Vote Bardiche

EDIT: Main body updated.

Basically modding philosophy this game is intended to pressurize scum as a look at the win/lose history shows that scum tends to be winning more in MotK. So I want to kind of not only just make it a 7v2, but also implement this Event mechanic so that scum are forced to participate more and discuss and discourage the bad habit of scum who tends to lurk and leave too little information for players to parse. Also, because mafia has generally been getting alot of flak before this hiatus as a game that promotes negativity between players, I think my take on improving this aspect will be to have a Event that will not be simply random or predetermined, but chosen from a list based on player activity, current strategy adopted by scum/town or whether it goes against the concept of having fun, etcetc to improve players enjoyment, this also means players will need to have a certain degree of trust in the mod's ability to regulate a game and determine the gamestate, of course that also means which if you don't have trust in me welp w/e. But anyway, this is all somewhat experimental, and I promise nothing will be too swingy, now fire questions at me away!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:08:49 PM by DNAbc »

Bardiche

« Reply #973 on: April 01, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 14 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I am a rebel.

Bardiche

« Reply #974 on: May 28, 2016, 07:22:01 PM »
Post Restriction Mafia

Hi, let's play 5-man Mafia. 4 Townies, 1 Scum. That's two days of game time. We could mix that up by introducing a mechanic whereby Day 1 and Day 2 are spent voting on someone who cannot be NKed, but that depends on whether people'd want it; I'm fairly sure everyone prefers standard lynches.

Rule notes:

Days last 48 hours because there's only five players. We don't need that much time, yo.

Nights last 24 hours.

Breaking your post restriction will result in modkill. Post restrictions are guaranteed to be things that Should Not annoy you immensely and aren't hard to accomplish. I once read a game by Carthrat that had people use bullet point lists or slur their words or stuff, but I think we have to find a happy medium between playing with a post restriction and playing Mafia.

Editing posts is allowed. Retro-active votes will not be accounted for in mod votecounts.

No one can act at night, with the exception of Mafia for a kill.

Town must lynch every day. Scum must kill every night. This means the game will last 2 Days, for a maximum of 5 IRL days. If a lynch occurs before the deadline, extraneous hours can be called upon for a deadline extension. (Ending 15 minutes before deadline yields nothing, ending 15 hours before gives 15 bonus hours for an extension.)

All Townies will receive a post restriction that is not too hard to follow but will result in modkill if not followed.

Scum does not receive a post restriction and will have to fake one. You know this has your name written all over it, Dormio.

There are no roles involved in the game whatsoever.

Town must lynch and scum must kill.

Let's do it. Please confirm signup if you want to play.

Example post restriction guaranteed not to be in the game: (but representative of the type)

Every post must include one pun. Puns may be lame, but must be recognisable.

SIGN-UPS:
1. Dormio
2. DNAbc
3. Serela
4. Patorikku
5. OPEN
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:39:09 PM by Bardiche »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #975 on: May 28, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »
My plate is full right now (sorry Bard ;__;) but this idea looks fun and people should sign up for it.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #976 on: May 28, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »
I'll play if there are 4 others. Send help.

Bardiche

« Reply #977 on: May 29, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
I'll play if there are 4 others. Send help.

THAT'S THE FIRST SIGN-UP.

I realise I never specified how long a Day phase takes so state your preferences and we'll go with the most common denominator.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #978 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:13 AM »
I can fake stupid, and i havent been touching motk for ages, count me #in!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #979 on: May 30, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
Huhwhat tried to get me to join a game but I kept forgetting to sign up so I haven't played mafia in ever WELP I GUESS I'M IN
(oh god this game is almost entirely the parts of the game that I'm ":C" in)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Bardiche

« Reply #980 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »
TWO MORE SLOTS OPEN PEOPLE

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #981 on: May 31, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »
i would make an impulse /in but I'm currently caught in like 4 different rp communities and two fanfictions atm and I probably won't have the attention span for it.

Bardiche

« Reply #982 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
i would make an impulse /in but I'm currently caught in like 4 different rp communities and two fanfictions atm and I probably won't have the attention span for it.

That's OK, I appreciate the interest. Surely we have two more people lurking somewhere.

Paging Shadoweh.

Bardiche

« Reply #983 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »
It's the first of June, a perfect day to be signing up to Mafia games and drinking deep of the fountain of regret.

As an aside, I was considering permitting editing of posts, with a modding method to avoid "retro-active voting."

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #984 on: June 01, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
the amount of suspicion granted to any posted with the big "edited" notifier would probably mostly make it not matter if it -was- allowed :V

Bardiche

« Reply #985 on: June 01, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
Precisely my thinking, and it's a sort of morbid curiosity to see how people would handle the power to fix spelling mistakes.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #986 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:28 PM »
morbid curiosity to see how people would handle the power to fix spelling mistakes.
this is a glorious quote

Bardiche

« Reply #987 on: June 01, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »
this is a glorious quote

You're a glorious quote. Find some people to sign up, 'kay? Poke Shadoweh for me. I have a list of nine post restrictions now that I can randomise.

Crank up the Japan. You must address every player with the -senpai honorific. Bonus points if you get them to notice you.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #988 on: June 01, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
Hell, I've got some time. I'm /in.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Bardiche

« Reply #989 on: June 01, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
Awesome! That means we're L-1 for getting the game started, and for everyone to drink deep of the bosom of joy.

Updating my post with some rules notes as well as noting we have ONE SLOT REMAINING PEOPLE GO GET IT.