Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189059 times)

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: FTL Mafia)
« Reply #840 on: August 05, 2015, 11:35:27 PM »
Re:Bard
Nah just saying that scum self hammers can happen to cut off discussion when you've been confirmed as scum or something. Not normally the best but somewhat viable in some cases unlike the town self hammer.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #841 on: August 06, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
Re:Bard
Nah just saying that scum self hammers can happen to cut off discussion when you've been confirmed as scum or something. Not normally the best but somewhat viable in some cases unlike the town self hammer.

Wasn't sarcasm on my side. Scum can go self-hammer all day long, idgaf, it's when Townies do it that they are Doing It Wrong.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #842 on: August 06, 2015, 02:10:26 AM »
Oh, lol, my bad then.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #843 on: August 06, 2015, 02:34:11 AM »
I don't exactly blame Dorian for self-hammering given the circumstances but it certainly wasn't optimal given people like Shadoweh had said they would have more time to post shortly. Also, imo CF7 should have self-hammered in Filler Mafia because 2 no lynches in a 9p game is JK9 2.0 and beyond awful, so taking one for the rest of the team so to speak might be better. That said I don't even remember if he got to L-1.

if you're town and want to self-hammer then I highly suggest the handy alternative of fakeclaiming hated and yelling at town because they just accidentally lynched you.
We should have hammered you on page 2, smh.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #844 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
Hey hey hey, let's not be crazy now.
I got to enjoy coming home from vacation!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #845 on: August 06, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
/in next

Don't lynch me.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #846 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
Getting kidnapped to Kanada for the next few days, so if the next person wants to throw it up then go ahead, I'll have a set up by 2 days after I get back

« Reply #847 on: August 06, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
Uh, I was having serious problems with this as well because Shalako's fakeclaim didn't make sense with the flavor: I suspected the ability that had governed him was the Super Shields from the Zoltan ship, which made his inventor fakeclaim obvious to me, but felt like I couldn't explain myself.
Yea but that's more because I botched my claim then flavor reasons, I was supposed to claim Rebel Treestump and...I guess hope no one tried to lynch me again or vote me or make me vote I guess?

I was expecting to be counter claimed by a Joat Inventor but Dorian(or Sele?) who actually were didn't do that and no one ever talked about how the claimed Inventor didn't counter claim the Scum who claimed Inventor so it was all kinda pointless rofl.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »
I currently have no house or job, and Internet only when I visit my parents or in laws, which is not conducive to modding a game. Therefore, I'm unable to start my game and somebody else can jump in (or we can wait for PX).
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »
That's BBM, Cheez8 (who the fuck is Cheez8?), Raikaria or me, in that order.

Cheez8

• Derp Imminent
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
That would be me. I played here for a while a year or two ago but kind of vanished after a certain game of mafia on another site left an awful taste in my mouth.

I was actually looking to get back into things but I probably ought to actually do that before hosting (aside from which I can't find anything I wrote down about my setup anyway.)
Someday, I'll have a clue what I'm doing.

Bardiche

« Reply #851 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
If Raikaria declines to host, I'll post sign-ups for mine. It's 8p, guaranteed 6:2 Town:Scum setup. Eyeballing sign-ups low because I know deep down, everyone hates Mafia.

EDIT: In either case, I realise I'm really close to getting a turn at hosting. Will need someone to review setup. Is Free! themed, low-power roles but with some in-game events to spruce things up a little. Basically, you'll have to scumhunt without relying on role shenanigans, but I'll provide some stuff that'll (hopefully) make it so you don't need Day 1 RVS and can proceed from there.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:34:44 PM by Bardiche »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #852 on: August 07, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »
I'll review since I'm the person who complains about setups the most.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #853 on: August 07, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
Wrongly, may I add.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #854 on: August 07, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »
[07/08/2015 12:56:16] SB: i assume you're still not hosting on motk
[00:41:13] BBM: no

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #855 on: August 08, 2015, 02:05:58 AM »

Bardiche

« Reply #856 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
PMed my setup to PX since I know him better than I do O4rfish.

Game features:
NOT A SINGLE ELEMENT OF BASTARDRY. That is to say, all roles are exactly what they say on the tin and include as much information about their use, resolution effects et all. Vanilla players exist, and no one has a role that must first be "enabled". That is to say, no one has to rely on someone using their role on them to be able to use their own role.

There are no docs, no cops, no role checkers, no reviviers, no tree stumps, no day vigilantes, no vigilantes, no gaolers, no roleblockers... You also don't need to post (no anti-lurk mechanics!), and town/scum may freely abstain from using their Lynch/NK.

« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
Is the Day on a Timer?

Bardiche

« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »
Is the Day on a Timer?

72 hour days, as per usual. The game's mechanics/roles may cause this number to be higher, but it will never be shorter. EDIT: The day may end prematurely but you won't get less than 72 hours per Day Phase. If it ends before that time, it's because of ~players~
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:38:33 PM by Bardiche »

Bardiche

« Reply #859 on: August 08, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
Due to lack of Anyone Else Stepping Up, I'm jumping the queue.

Free! Mafia now taking sign-ups!
Free! Mafia is based around the anime "Free!", where four boys frequently strip down and play around in the water. Occasionally these boys achieve things like winning swimming competitions, but for the most part they just want to deepen their bonds and swim freely around the pool. Swimming is, to them, a way to escape the dolour of everyday life.

Free! Mafia relies on the anime for its theme, but knowledge of the anime is not required to "get" the setup. Roles and characters aren't linked, nor are characters and alignments or roles and alignments. I'll do my darndest to make the flavour seem like it was Written Just For You, though! Although I wrote the current roles for specific characters, I'll allow people to select their own character. Any Free! character may be picked, so long as they actively swim in the anime!

This setup has 6 Town players and 2 Scum players, and follows all conventional mechanics of the gameplay. In addition, there are these inviolable rules:

1. Toxicity is expressly forbidden. While toxicity is broad, it generally means any attitude or behaviour that is designed at negatively impacting another person's enjoyment of the game. If it violates the spirit of sportsmanship, it's likely a violation of the No Toxicity rule. You're allowed to lie, cheat and deceive your peers as much as you like, so long as you're not actively trying to keep them from enjoying the game. Violation of this rule results in immediate removal from the game, whereupon the Day will end if you were Scum (without a lynch), or continue with votes wiped if you're Town (and possible time extension in the case of Deadline Geebers). Moreover, you will be reported to forum administration for inappropriate behaviour.
2. Role PMs may never be publicised. Scum may freely share their role PM with each other without issue, but other players are expressly forbidden from quoting any or all part(s) of their role PM. Paraphrasing is permitted, just don't quote.
3. The dead can neither communicate nor rise. In my previous game, the dead were too strong. This game, I guarantee that any player eliminated through game mechanics will permanently and unequivocally be removed from the game. No roles function after dying, and no roles permit the dead to influence the game in any way, shape or form.
4. There is no compulsory element. Day Phases may end without lynch an infinite number of times. ##NoLynch is a valid option and will be passed if Hammered. Night Phases may end without Scum performing the Night Kill. There will be no indication if Scum declines the Night Kill.
5. All role information is given complete, meaning there are no hidden elements to anyone's role. Additionally, no roles have dependencies on other roles. There exist no roles that detect alignment or your role. Outside of Lynch and Night Kill, there exist no roles that can eliminate you from the game. There exist no roles that prevent your action from succeeding. Note: there may be roles that prevent you from using your ability in the first place. However, if you are stopped from activating your role, it will be announced publicly in the thread.
6. There are multiple power roles, but not everyone is guaranteed to have a power role. There is guaranteed to be vanillas in the game. It is guaranteed that at least two players will be vanilla. At most eight players will be vanilla.
7. There are six Town players and two Scum players. There exist no third parties. All Town players win by eliminating all Scum players, or forcing them to surrender. All Scum players win by eliminating all Town players, or nothing can prevent them from doing so, or forcing Town to surrender. There are no roles that are designed to cause a surrender. If a role unintentionally can be used to force a surrender, it will be modified to disallow such use.

The following rules may be ignored through role actions, game mechanics or other events. Unless otherwise noted, they still apply:

1. There is no talking during the Night, except in any mod-sanctioned QTs.
2. Each Day Phase lasts 72 hours, but they will end early if a hammer occurs or it is otherwise ended prematurely. If a Day Phase ends without a hammer, No Lynch will be defaulted. Each Night Phase lasts 24 hours, and there exist no mechanics to end it prematurely. There may be phases that are neither a Day nor a Night Phase.
3. Rules do not inhibit you from employing specific strategies, which is to mean that you do not need to meet any posting requirements. There are no requirements to post length, post content or post frequency. There is no consequence for refusing to post for an entire Day Phase or, in fact, the entire game.
4. It is expressly forbidden to quote private mod communications, though again you are allowed to paraphrase. There may be roles that expressly permit people to quote (parts of) the mod's private communication.
5. Each Day Phase has its own unique mechanic, which alters the way the game is played.

-----------

There's 8 player slots. Characters are on a First Come First Serve basis. Feel Free! to use the following website to determine characters you can pick: http://free-anime.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

1. Kilga // Ran Tachibana
2. ActionDan* // Makoto Tachibana
3. Patorikku // Nagisa Hazuki
4. Raitaki // Aiichiro Nitori
5. DNA // Rei Ryugazaki
6. CF7 // Haruka Nanase
7. Serela // Momotarou Mikoshiba
8. Shalako // Gou

Spectating:
BT
Cheez8

At this time, hydras are not allowed. Also at this time, there are no considerations to increase the size of the game. There will not be any substitutions. Spectators may /in for spectating specifically, and they will receive a special QT (shared with dead players) where they can discuss the game, theorise and whatnot. Inviolable Rule #1 applies to the spectator QT, failure to comply will result in a report to forum administration for inappropriate behaviour.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:10:44 PM by Bardiche »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #860 on: August 08, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »
LEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY JENKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII /INS

I've not actually seen the show (yet), so I'll be Miho Amakata, I guess.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bardiche

« Reply #861 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »
That's one of the non-swimmers. I mean, flavour-wise everyone's in a swimming competition and it'd be a pain to rethink the flavour, so you'll have to pick someone else.

Top four from Iwatobi, all from Samezuka, and the first three from "others" are all safe picks.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #862 on: August 09, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
So, Ran Tachibana, then?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bardiche

« Reply #863 on: August 09, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
Sure thing!

ActionDan

« Reply #864 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:19 AM »
/in as makoto

Also this anime is gay-bait
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:32:18 AM by ActionDan »

Don't lynch me.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #865 on: August 09, 2015, 12:44:35 AM »
Also this anime is gay-bait
Yes, but it's quality gay-bait.

/in as Nagisa

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

ActionDan

« Reply #866 on: August 09, 2015, 12:48:14 AM »
Spoiler:
but not one of them is even gay! Bit of a let down. I guess I'll have to settle for the hottest one

Don't lynch me.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Free! Mafia)
« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »
Will you let me join even if I promise never to post in the game?

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #868 on: August 09, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
The best gay-bait.

Please note that the setup is designed such that scum hunting is still a quality part of the game. If you just wanna see what kind of awesomely cool role you can get to play instead of Mafia, this is not the game for you. Roles complement play, not substitute it. (This is why cops don't exist in this game: they allow you to do nothing all game and still make a massive contribution)

Will you let me join even if I promise never to post in the game?

You must have a commitment to actually play. Although Extreme Lurking is a valid strategy I'm willing to let people employ, that's still something I can change if I feel like it might be too abusable. I'm pretty much expecting everyone to be wearing their Big Boy and Big Girl Pants, but if I get the impression diapers are being worn underneath... Well, I'll just remind you rule #3 of the second set isn't inviolable. I can change it. Maybe even a role can change it. (Addendum: There is guaranteed to be no role that can eliminate you outright for not posting, i.e. conditional dayvig that targets lurkers.)

(Addendum to addendum: I did heavily consider adding that role, but it violates an inviolable rule.)

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #869 on: August 09, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »
/in as whoever. Choose for me after everyone else picked or something.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage