Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189031 times)

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: FTL Mafia)
« Reply #810 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:12 PM »
Something something nnr

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #811 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
Too busy today, won't be able to update till tonight.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #812 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
What's the MotK-M consensus on encrypted posts?

The reason I ask is specifically for defusing Mexican standoffs.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #813 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
I recall Edible or something saying in my first game that crumbs that conceal text or can't be solved without a translator are generally bad form. Encryption probably falls under that.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #814 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
I definitely remember that legendary conq game where qts are super encrypted and everyone was like ##I wish to die a painful radioactive death and dormio was Kingmaker and many jimmies were rustled.
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
On Mofiascum the rule is that if you need a third-party program or something to decipher an encrypted post it's illegal.
If you post something like I care of party puppies even dogs sorta elderly really eventually listen ably (first letter message), it's allowed because any idiot can possibly see the message.

Defcon was beautiful. As far as that being encryption, it only worked as encryption because the scum were able to tell each other what the code was in their QT. Is it encryption if two neighbours say 'in thread if I say Monkey Serela, that means I copped Serela'? I'd say that's still legal.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »
Encryption is game-braking because you just have everyone encrypt their roleclaim into their first post and then scum has no room to fakeclaim anything.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #817 on: July 27, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
What's the MotK-M consensus on encrypted posts?

The reason I ask is specifically for defusing Mexican standoffs.

Could be fun, provided people can decrypt.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #818 on: July 27, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
Defcon will forever be my favorite trainwreck on MotK.

It was beautiful,
like a sparkling space rock
Flying into a sun
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

ActionDan

« Reply #819 on: July 27, 2015, 11:53:36 PM »
That game

Don't lynch me.

« Reply #820 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »
Encryption is game-breaking
This is the viewpoint I've always had.
Messenger Items, Mason Chats etc with Encryption makes them exponentially more powerful. Flat out posting your role into the thread behind a Encryption because you "didn't copy/paste your role" is also a headache I've seen.
Plus it's no fun having people talk and other people can't understand them  in a game based around people talking to each other. :V

Plz link to Defcon

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #821 on: July 28, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »
I believe these two threads are the game in question? I'm gonna read them over later just to see what everyone's talking about on it. Sounds simultaneously hilarious and soul-breaking, and that's my kind of humour.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #822 on: July 28, 2015, 02:51:16 AM »
Put me in queue for Waifu Wars Mafia: You Can (Not) Have Opinions

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #823 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:41 AM »
Remember to make a new thread once this one reaches 1k posts. Not gonna lock it to allow for easy quoting unless people keep posting in it

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #824 on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:03 AM »
I believe these two threads are the game in question? I'm gonna read them over later just to see what everyone's talking about on it. Sounds simultaneously hilarious and soul-breaking, and that's my kind of humour.
Tell me what you think, since I'm the de facto star of the game. Don't forget to read the scum quicktopic!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #825 on: July 29, 2015, 08:31:06 PM »
Didn't occur to me PX meant my game thread, not the General

I still need it unlocked so I can quote myself.

EDIT: Guess it'll have to wait another 8 hours since PX is only quick to respond when locking  ::)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:42:10 PM by NekoNekoRex »

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #826 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
Hey, just in case that was missed in thread, I will need a sub within the next two days. I do want to play for as long as possible though, but if that's being selfish and someone's willing to sub for me only under fairer terms, we can sort this out.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #827 on: July 30, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »
Hey, just in case that was missed in thread, I will need a sub within the next two days. I do want to play for as long as possible though, but if that's being selfish and someone's willing to sub for me only under fairer terms, we can sort this out.
Play for as long as you want and then I'll tag you out.

« Reply #828 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
Remember to make a new thread once this one reaches 1k posts. Not gonna lock it to allow for easy quoting unless people keep posting in it
Is there actually a reason for this besides (rather arbitrary) forum tradition? I thought motk would be running on better software by now.

Bardiche

« Reply #829 on: July 30, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
But muh 2k post threads. :(

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #830 on: July 31, 2015, 02:40:24 PM »
Bt, please sub in. I am sorry for leaving this trainwreck.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #831 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »
Pre /in for next game, whatever it is.

Putting this here too because loading new pages is very expensive, but the reason why I was having such a messy play lategame which resulted in much confusion is because I actually know FTL lore, because this person has a habit of reading wikia entries for games and stuff.

WhIch is why I believe putting in flavor is dandy and whatnot, but the strict ban on using flavor at all is perhaps just a bit of a hassle for players to follow, perhaps you can remove that problem entirely by modifying the setting such that it doesn't exactly follow the FTL storyline.

Moreover, it is especially a problem since I know the Kestrel is a human ship which can buy lots of general augments except the unique alien ones, which made Dorian and Conq the prime scum candidates for me, but with my OCDness I was basically forced also to justify not lynching Dan and serela because their plays were much less stellar than Conq and dorians. I also lost a bit of confidence in the flavorgaming since Dorian flipped town and I had to face some convoluted decision making with conflicted priorities, namely, whether to play to win or play for honor. Since from my perspective, there seems to be a clear lack of variety in flavor, and its very tempting to just follow my better judgement to townclear claims from obvious other not-Kestrel ships such as Serelas sincd Crystal Vengeance is probably the most infamously diffcult to unlock augment for the crystal, and the commuter is very telling of the upgraded stealth with an equally infamous long recharge time whIch would explain the one shot ness, and it puts players such as myself who are familiar with FTL in a very uncomfortable environment since I don't intend to flavorgame, but I can't exactly remove this knowledge, and it ended up hurting me since I was pretty much actively avoiding to flavorgame while rolegaming, and with how flavorful the fakeclaims are, I just skimmed over most of them unless they were brought up, and thusly didn't make the connection it is a low risk manuver for conq to crumb scum.

Besides, I just cant allow myself to push a case on conq, a player whom I honestly couldn't justify myself for play based reason since his play was so much more consistent and normally I wouldnt lynch him before other players just based on how other townies plays, that and Dorian flipped town against all my expectations, so I just never looked back at conq again. Yes, even though I did make quite a few posts highlighting how we should definitely suspect conq if he lives to lategame. And yes, if you did actually read my posts I also complained about the priorities of the mod and rulings concerning flavor inside the game thread, especially around the lategame.

I just find the tricky flavors and rulings made it uncomfortable to play, personally the mods temper is a rather minor annonyance to me only and is something I am used to even when playing to nnr, so theres that

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #832 on: August 05, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »

Putting this here too because loading new pages is very expensive, but the reason why I was having such a messy play lategame which resulted in much confusion is because I actually know FTL lore, because this person has a habit of reading wikia entries for games and stuff.

WhIch is why I believe putting in flavor is dandy and whatnot, but the strict ban on using flavor at all is perhaps just a bit of a hassle for players to follow, perhaps you can remove that problem entirely by modifying the setting such that it doesn't exactly follow the FTL storyline.

Moreover, it is especially a problem since I know the Kestrel is a human ship which can buy lots of general augments except the unique alien ones, which made Dorian and Conq the prime scum candidates for me, but with my OCDness I was basically forced also to justify not lynching Dan and serela because their plays were much less stellar than Conq and dorians. I also lost a bit of confidence in the flavorgaming since Dorian flipped town and I had to face some convoluted decision making with conflicted priorities, namely, whether to play to win or play for honor. Since from my perspective, there seems to be a clear lack of variety in flavor, and its very tempting to just follow my better judgement to townclear claims from obvious other not-Kestrel ships such as Serelas sincd Crystal Vengeance is probably the most infamously diffcult to unlock augment for the crystal, and the commuter is very telling of the upgraded stealth with an equally infamous long recharge time whIch would explain the one shot ness, and it puts players such as myself who are familiar with FTL in a very uncomfortable environment since I don't intend to flavorgame, but I can't exactly remove this knowledge, and it ended up hurting me since I was pretty much actively avoiding to flavorgame while rolegaming, and with how flavorful the fakeclaims are, I just skimmed over most of them unless they were brought up, and thusly didn't make the connection it is a low risk manuver for conq to crumb scum.

Besides, I just cant allow myself to push a case on conq, a player whom I honestly couldn't justify myself for play based reason since his play was so much more consistent and normally I wouldnt lynch him before other players just based on how other townies plays, that and Dorian flipped town against all my expectations, so I just never looked back at conq again. Yes, even though I did make quite a few posts highlighting how we should definitely suspect conq if he lives to lategame. And yes, if you did actually read my posts I also complained about the priorities of the mod and rulings concerning flavor inside the game thread, especially around the lategame.

I just find the tricky flavors and rulings made it uncomfortable to play, personally the mods temper is a rather minor annonyance to me only and is something I am used to even when playing to nnr, so theres that
But since all the flavor was hidden, the best you could do is just guess at who had what ship. I banned flavor for exactly that reason, because you weren't supposed to be able to game the setup. Conq's 'cop' ability could have been anything. Slugs have clairvoyance for example. I put in a decent number of red herrings to justify it. too, like the fact Dorian was a Town JOAT when I have a meta of scum JOATs.

ActionDan

« Reply #833 on: August 05, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
Posts like that are why I'll never take DNA seriously

Don't lynch me.

Bardiche

« Reply #834 on: August 05, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
BARDICHE'S GUIDE TO SELF-HAMMERS
Self-hammers happen a frightening lot. I think it's therefore pertinent to have a solid guide to help people understand when to employ the interesting gameplay mechanic of self-hammer. Thankfully, the guide needn't even be long, as it's very understandable.

WHEN TO USE THE GLORIOUS SELF-HAMMER
  • When your role specifically grants you a benefit depending on you performing the self-hammer (note that in this situation, you should yell at your GM for being a fuckwit)
  • When there is no one else who wants to hammer you and the game going without a hammer would result in a (universal) loss
WHEN NOT TO USE THE GLORIOUS SELF-HAMMER
  • EVERY OTHER DAMN TIME

ADVANTAGES OF GLORIOUS SELF-HAMMER
  • The day ends exactly when you want it to, and you ensure a lynch
DISADVANTAGES OF GLORIOUS SELF-HAMMER
  • You just lynched the one person who you were 100% sure of was aligned to your side.
  • You just reduced discussion
  • Scum no longer need to orchestrate a hammer on you if they aren't all on your wagon
  • You deliver a morale blow to Town by enacting a lynch they might not have wanted (as evidenced by you not being lynched yet)
  • Any power roles that depend on hammers are disabled
  • Seriously, you just lynched the one person you were 100% sure of was on your side BECAUSE IT WAS YOU

There you go! I hope this guide has elucidated the perfect timing for self-hammers so that in the future, you will be able to properly utilise this amazing mechanic.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #835 on: August 05, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »
You should note that that guide applies to when you're town.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #836 on: August 05, 2015, 10:50:59 PM »

Uh, I was having serious problems with this as well because Shalako's fakeclaim didn't make sense with the flavor: I suspected the ability that had governed him was the Super Shields from the Zoltan ship, which made his inventor fakeclaim obvious to me, but felt like I couldn't explain myself.

Also I don't blame Dorian for self-hammering, that day was an exercise in futility for him and just undelaying the inevitable.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

« Reply #837 on: August 05, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »

Spoiler:
no I think flavor bans are stupid too and a way of covering up bad game design but you shouldn't blame the mod for you failing to game the flavor which isn't even a good idea to do in the first place

Bardiche

« Reply #838 on: August 05, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
You should note that that guide applies to when you're town.

Right, because scum self-hammers is w/e. Who even gives a shit about scum?

« Reply #839 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
if you're town and want to self-hammer then I highly suggest the handy alternative of fakeclaiming hated and yelling at town because they just accidentally lynched you.