Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189057 times)

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: ???)
« Reply #750 on: July 04, 2015, 01:06:32 AM »
Passive:
- You gain a stack of "On Fire!!" whenever someone votes your vote target within 3 posts after you post (your vote post included). You lose all stacks of "On Fire!!" when you unvote.

Active:
- During the day, you may post ##UNLEASH to unleash your true form! You need to have "On Fire!!" stacks equal to L-2 to activate this ability. You must select a target. That target is immediately removed from the game and their flip is revealed at the end of the current day.
I feel like a bad person for pointing this out but, the best way to use this role is to claim it immediately and get people to vote right after you, then coast because you are a super cool dayvig. <.<

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

« Reply #751 on: July 04, 2015, 01:07:54 AM »
that could be handled with an "if you claim how your activation method works you become vanilla" clause

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #752 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:23 AM »
I am more worried as to what would happen if we don't keep games actively running though. We can't stop people from leaving, but I am of the belief that if there are interesting games happening, we can bring old players back or incite newer ones to join. Dunno if this kind of interest waning has happened before, but I have this impression that if we let an active thread die instead of trying to fix the problem, interest won't spike back up especially when the main problem here is 'players have other platforms to play'.

To be perfectly honest, I too am not too optimistic as to if positive incetivizing must fix all our problems, but while we certainly can all play somewhere else, this place holds a special place in my heart. This is where I started off from being a raging newb and even got my first probabtion from a goddamn game, and it just plain sucks if this has to end because of apathy
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #753 on: July 04, 2015, 06:00:27 AM »
I am more worried as to what would happen if we don't keep games actively running though. We can't stop people from leaving, but I am of the belief that if there are interesting games happening, we can bring old players back or incite newer ones to join. Dunno if this kind of interest waning has happened before, but I have this impression that if we let an active thread die instead of trying to fix the problem, interest won't spike back up especially when the main problem here is 'players have other platforms to play'.
Yeah, you pretty much hit it on the head. It's a problem of a small playerbase that can't support running games consistently and that just leads to a negative feedback loop. You probably won't get many old players back, that's just how it works on every site including this one. The main problem is a lack of new blood, which is only exacerbated by a lack of mafia games meaning interested new players won't want to join mafia. Personally, I think the lack of new players is because
Spoiler:
the Touhou fanbase is waning compared to other ways people can waste their time, which means fewer people on this forum and thus less new blood.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #754 on: July 04, 2015, 06:08:57 AM »
idk the touhou fanbase seems like it's booming, people just don't find their way here because internet forums in general are becoming a thing of the past

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #755 on: July 04, 2015, 08:17:15 AM »
EDIT: Apparently I just cumped everything from the notepad and forgot formatting and describing the setup and everything, ew.

This is essentially what I had in mind, except obviously there will be more vanilla, or more vanilla with watered down abilities that require using Celery to activate, something like that.

Quote from: Sample Town PM
Hi, [playername], welcome to the Great Tricity Celery Hunt, you are a Town Rainbow Shaman (Cop), with a talent for spotting out otherwordly beings.

Abilities:
Alive (Passive)(Factional): You are allowed to speak and vote within the dedicated thread for the Hunt.

Give Celery (Active)(Factional): Activate during the night phase only if you hold more than one ?Celery? item(s). Target a player, and ##Give all Celery items you hold to the targeted player. Celery will be delivered at the start of the next day phase, and fails if you are killed.

Divination(Active): Activate during the night phase by targetting a player. ##Cop them to reveal visions telling of their alignment to you and only you. Results are classified to ?town? and ?not town?.

Unstable Blood (Passive): Your unique lineage response strongly to the presence of Celery. As such, consuming Celery items will cause you to turn albino, therefore appearing coloured white in all future mod posts.

You win when the sole survivors are all of your faction, have fun.
Quote from: Sample Celery
In addition to your aforementioned abilities. You happen to have in possession the ?One Third of an Ovepowered Celery?, which grants you the following abilities;

Bearer (Passive): If you die, this item is destroyed with you, leaving no trace of its existence.

Consume Celery (Active): Target one type of Celery in your possession and ##Consume it. This will remove all Celery items of the same type from your inventory, and you gain its effects for the next 1-3 phases, depending on the amount consumed. This action targets yourself and can only be performed either phase.

Pyrokinesis (SPECIAL): Manifests your rage at plebians into scorching flames that consume their being. As long as you hold this item, you can use the  ##Burn command to obliterate your target completely. Can be activated once during each day and night phase, and also usable along with other actives.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:24:27 AM by Darkninjaabc »

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #756 on: July 04, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
I have been ruminating on an alternative to voting as a way of dealing with afk players.  It's a variation on musical chairs. 

In a Samurai themed game, I had ##serve tea instead of voting.  You could only serve tea once, and you couldn't serve tea to yourself, or to somebody who served you that day phase.  Mafia were only able to serve tea to a fellow scum buddy (in this game, mafia were the Ninja faction) once per day phase.  Once one player remained who hadn't been served tea, that player was the lynch for the day.  Players could also no vote for a phase with ##empty cup which was useful for town who wanted to force a quick end to the phase (guaranteeing that a certain player they thought was mafia would be in the night phase lynch pool) or for mafia to end the phase quickly. 

The most important rule was that once you had served tea, you couldn't do it again on that day phase (so you couldn't effectively change your vote), and illegal tea serving was simply ignored without specifying why it failed - relevant for the new roles in this game. 

What would happen is closer to phase end, there would be a deadlock of two or three players who couldn't serve tea without themselves dying.  The game would then go to night phase, where posting was prohibited except for a traditional vote.  However, only the players who had been served tea were eligible to vote, and they could only vote for players who hadn't received any tea. 

Players could not change their vote, and if they failed to vote by night end then the phase would start again, and the non-voters would be added to the viable lynch pool.  The player who ultimately won the vote through a hammer would be killed off as if they had been lynched in the preceding day phase, and couldn't submit night actions/have actions resolved against them. 

Other than that, there was no restrictions against tea drinkers targeting non tea drinkers etc. 

The mechanic was reasonably successful, however it was only tried once and it was a small game sample size (12 players) so I don't know how scalable it is.  However, the unusual mechanic meant for some very interesting roles that nobody had expected. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Filler)
« Reply #757 on: July 04, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
I still have nightmares about that game, Dan. :<

Now with one extra VT and no roleblocker! ~courtesy of the normal review group

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #758 on: July 04, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
Apparently my queue jump was permanent, so I suppose I'll try and dredge up interest in my Mafia game again. 12 honestly shouldn't be hard to fill compared to other traditionally sized games (13, 14)

Anyway, here's the rules and setup again (click on the image)
Let's get this game going! I promise the flavor and roles will be worth it.

Mods:
-Admiral of the Fleet Nekomimi
-Admiral Elieson
Signups;
-DNA
-Zak
-Dormio
-Serela
-Raitaki
-Bardiche ft. Skypal
-Dorian
-Shalako
-Conq
-SB
-Murrin
-Shadoweh
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:49:25 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #759 on: July 04, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
/in

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #760 on: July 04, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
Did you miss the part where a 9-player game NL twice?
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
« Reply #761 on: July 04, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
An active and passionate mod can push a game through.  Believe. 

Sadly, I'm one week away from moving house to another continent and won't have reliable internet access for about a month, so I'll have to skip this game.  Which is a pity, because I think it looks very exciting, and I'm a fan of the FTL series.  Guess I'll have to settle for shooting Rebel scumbags in TIE Fighter instead. 

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

« Reply #762 on: July 04, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »
I've gotten more interested in showing my support for a game that is no fun and i hate playing.

/in

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #763 on: July 04, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
I've gotten more interested in showing my support for a game that is no fun and i hate playing.

/in

This.

Also requesting hydra with Sky Paladin, so he can be with us in spirit. I shall forthwith ignore all his ramblings, but I just want to offer him the possibility, mod-willing. (Also so he can ez replace me)

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #764 on: July 05, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
I'm going to w/in it this time.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: FTL Mafia)
« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:10 AM »
/in
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2015, 12:57:16 AM »
Come on, dorms, we all know you are gonna end up lynched or killed and never make it past D2

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2015, 03:18:50 AM »
/in
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2015, 03:40:36 AM »
A Bard/Sky hydra? I don't think this forum can cope with that. But there's only one way to find out o/

If NNR is okay with it, I'm down for it.

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #769 on: July 05, 2015, 05:46:50 AM »
Sure, I don't have an outstanding issue with hydras, although I'm going to assume it'll just be Bard posting in the thread or something? Both hydra players posting can get a little confusing, and I know some people in the playerbase don't really like hydras.

Did you miss the part where a 9-player game NL twice?
Reminder that I'm not holding a ridiculous grudge just because you were weird in the last game I played with you. Joinmygame.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:48:44 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Murrin

• cat
« Reply #770 on: July 05, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
Just a note that if I sign up for this game and if there is RVS, I will be participating in RVS.  So ignore that last game I said "I'm not much of an RVS guy." (Main reason: RVS basically revealed who the 2 scum players were Day 1 of Game 46 at MTF, as Sky pointed out to me last game.)

I'm probably going to sign up for this game.  I'm just still thinking about it (considering whether I want to play 2 mafia games at once, since I plan to stay active at MTF). 

Edit: thinking about it, 2 mafia games probably won't be a problem.  My AFK fail last game was a result of playing 3 mafia games simultaneously all during an exceptionally busy week. 

But I'm potentially going to be modding a game at MTF soon.  So I'll see what's happening there and then I'll get back to you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:49:21 AM by Murrin »

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #771 on: July 05, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Sure, I don't have an outstanding issue with hydras, although I'm going to assume it'll just be Bard posting in the thread or something?

This. I'd very much like a subscription to Sky Paladin. Unless people object.

« Reply #772 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:24 AM »
/In

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #773 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
I'll probably spend next few weeks by playing Neptunia 1 through 3, so i'll sit this one out.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #774 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
Internet is mostly down until thursday, but I'll try and see about bugging people on SF to join up, and trying to keep signups updated till then

Hopefully If I can see about getting murrin, shadoweh, conq, SB, maybe dan in this? Who else... Raikaria, Oarfish... uhhh... Refa....
I'll try and think about more people to bug tomorrow if I can get online
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:47:25 AM by NekoNekoRex »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #775 on: July 08, 2015, 02:27:04 AM »
VA2 was sort of fun, and it's my favorite game to remember.  I know NNR can bring the flavor and modding effort.
I just don't think MotK has the Mandate of the Mafia Heavens anymore.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #776 on: July 08, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
What do you mean, Oarfish? There isn't a drive to play?

Will you join up if I get close to full signups?

Edit: Just sent out a PM to a bunch of people. I thought it'd make a good advertising post too.

------

Hey mates, my Mafia game is super awesome and in dire need of signups. Join up and prove there's still a demand for Mafia left on the forum, and that we can still get fun rolling in the RPG!

In FTL Mafia you can:
-Blow up starships!
-Loot them for their gold!
-Have a power role that's guaranteed to not be awful (like Super Miller)!
-Be confused by my enforced flavor terminology!
-Beat the Federation and doom the galaxy!
-View exciting FTL screenshots of blown-up starships!
-Force me to play more FTL in an effort to retrieve screenshots!
-Watch as I fail to spell the username 'Conqueror' 7 times in a row!

All this and more! Join FTL: Faster Then Light: Advanced Mafia, today!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:17:47 PM by NekoNekoRex »

Dorian White

• The most handsome non-vampire diplomat you ever encountered ~
  • With a Gandalf like evolution.
« Reply #777 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »
You know that ?fast? isn't actually my thing. Why isn't there a game named ?Slower Than Continental Drift?? ;_;
But I guess I'm /in anyway.
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2015, 02:27:48 AM »
-Watch as I fail to spell the username 'Conqueror' 7 times in a row!
You tricked me into thinking Conq already signed up. I will in if Conq ins just because I want to see this happen.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #779 on: July 10, 2015, 05:03:43 AM »
That was for when I tried to send the PM in the first place