Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189048 times)

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Filler)
« Reply #720 on: June 16, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »
Spoiler:
Fucking shit. I am a fucking cop. I got a guilty result on a player on N1. It's 14 people setup. There are 3 scum players. And 4 other townies return guilty result as well. What's the point of a cop in that setup? The cop in question has no other abilities.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #721 on: June 16, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »
In this hypothetical scenario, you could trust an innocent result but not trust a guilty result. It does have some utility.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #722 on: June 17, 2015, 09:29:11 AM »
Spoiler:
remeber idolm@ster mafia?
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #723 on: June 18, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »
need a sub for Dan, pm me if you're willing

crossposting

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #724 on: June 22, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
need another

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #725 on: June 22, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
Could've sworn I sent a PM offering to sub as needed.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #726 on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »

Don't lynch me.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #727 on: June 26, 2015, 02:12:09 AM »
I'd love to, but with an intercontinental move in about four weeks, that kind of disruption makes playing a game impossible :C
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #728 on: June 26, 2015, 04:03:12 AM »
Eh. As far as I can tell NNR's been itching to host his mafia game, so I'll play that instead. Unless he's cool with delaying his until after that one, of course.
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

ActionDan

« Reply #729 on: June 26, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
it's on a different forum

Don't lynch me.

Murrin

• cat
« Reply #730 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »
Soo tempted to join Dan's game, but I'm still playing 2 mafia games simultaneously even after being subbed out of SB's game, so I might join if sign ups are still up after 1 or both of those games are over.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #731 on: June 26, 2015, 07:18:24 AM »
Oh man 2 week deadlines? That's 150% speed of a regular mafiascum game

ActionDan

« Reply #732 on: July 01, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
O look. Replacement lylo

Don't lynch me.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #733 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »
I still have nightmares about that game, Dan. :<

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #734 on: July 02, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
I think Mafia on MOTK is full well dead, too many "players" like Dan sign up to games and then refuse to play.

« Reply #735 on: July 02, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
I don't think mafia is inevitably dead but I'm done putting effort into getting things running to be honest. If the couple of games I wanted to play get hosted I'll join, but it's ok if that never happens.

If someone is up to reading mafia games elsewhere and talking about them tell me. I like reading games and it'd be nice to have more people to talk with about them.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #736 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »
Spoiler:
Mafiascum has interesting games for reading if you can get over the length

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #737 on: July 02, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »
I got Dormio to join my SF game and it went perfectly for him which is to say he got lynched Day 1 and doesn't have to play mafia anymore

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #738 on: July 02, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
Easiest mafia game of my life.

PX

• School Idol?
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: ???)
« Reply #739 on: July 03, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »
I don't think mafia is inevitably dead but I'm done putting effort into getting things running to be honest. If the couple of games I wanted to play get hosted I'll join, but it's ok if that never happens.

If someone is up to reading mafia games elsewhere and talking about them tell me. I like reading games and it'd be nice to have more people to talk with about them.
#MotKTown on irc

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #740 on: July 03, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
I could run my setup again but I'm still kinda miffed about people not signing up then complaining that there aren't enough signups.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #741 on: July 03, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
Just make it that people can't mod a game unless they've played 2/3 of the immediately preceding games to completion. Replacing in does count, replacing or being prodded out does not.
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #742 on: July 03, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
Was actually planning on something experimental with no prods, but rewards for players who play well. I.e.

Passive:
- You gain a stack of "On Fire!!" whenever someone votes your vote target within 3 posts after you post (your vote post included). You lose all stacks of "On Fire!!" when you unvote.

Active:
- During the day, you may post ##UNLEASH to unleash your true form! You need to have "On Fire!!" stacks equal to L-2 to activate this ability. You must select a target. That target is immediately removed from the game and their flip is revealed at the end of the current day.

Something like that. Everyone has a power, but the mechanic to unlock that power is related to playing well, getting people to sheep you, posting at a steady pace, not getting lynched, etcetera. Mechanic related to the person, so someone like Sky Paladin wouldn't get stacks for writing walls, but someone like Dan might.

Turning Mafia into a delightful game where everyone plays to their power role and in the process, ends up Playing Mafia Properly.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #743 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
I actually am preparing something similar with my setup with reference to what happened this game. In reductive terms, the mechanic comes down to making everyone an Inventor, and therefore requires you to play good in order to receive items which you can use while having good reads to actually help town instead of scums.

Which would mean town is rewarded for good play but with a higher element of balance. I believe this could work better than plain role madness because not only good play is now a prerequisite to actually gain an edge, it also deters more egocentric playstyles and encourages players to actually cooperate so they can activiely manipulate the game to their advantage, which should too hopefully fix the apathy department and make everyone more civil, what do you guys think?

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #744 on: July 03, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »
I actually am preparing something similar with my setup with reference to what happened this game. In reductive terms, the mechanic comes down to making everyone an Inventor, and therefore requires you to play good in order to receive items which you can use while having good reads to actually help town instead of scums.

Which would mean town is rewarded for good play but with a higher element of balance. I believe this could work better than plain role madness because not only good play is now a prerequisite to actually gain an edge, it also deters more egocentric playstyles and encourages players to actually cooperate so they can activiely manipulate the game to their advantage, which should too hopefully fix the apathy department and make everyone more civil, what do you guys think?
Was actually planning on something experimental with no prods, but rewards for players who play well. I.e.

Something like that. Everyone has a power, but the mechanic to unlock that power is related to playing well, getting people to sheep you, posting at a steady pace, not getting lynched, etcetera. Mechanic related to the person, so someone like Sky Paladin wouldn't get stacks for writing walls, but someone like Dan might.

Turning Mafia into a delightful game where everyone plays to their power role and in the process, ends up Playing Mafia Properly.
While these sound like good ideas, I could argue that it sounds like it only favors one side for doing well against the other team, which only creates more swing in a game when town lynches a scum then gets an extra reward in the form of more power.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #745 on: July 03, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
How about we test to find out? I don't mind offering myself to host a buffer game, and since the setup is not so heavily role-reliant it can work with a flexible playerbase ranging anywhere from 9-14 people.  I am also really curious too as to if having more cooperation elements could fix our town problem with the lack of communication.

My signups are actually refined and ready, thanks to the filler game, so if you are okay with that I can host it right away.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
What is "good play" though?

Not a big fan of qualitative mechanics in a game that isn't really supposed to have them, any more details?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »
if I sign up will I have to get a negative utility incentive to stop me from playing too well

Bardiche

« Reply #748 on: July 04, 2015, 12:30:21 AM »
What is "good play" though?

I'd probably aim them more at encouraging good behaviour. E.g. if someone is a notorious lurker, they can power their role by posting every x time. If someone tunnels a lot, they get points for building legitimate cases, resetting at day end, etcetera. Nothing too hard to achieve, but all things that particular player could be encouraged to do to create a healthier game environment.

I'd still rather run my Free! Mafia game, but I don't know if there's sufficient interest for a normal Mafia game. The interest on MOTK seems to have waned a lot, and those who do sign up don't appear entirely interested in playing. I don't think a "Mafia game that rewards good behaviour" is the answer.

« Reply #749 on: July 04, 2015, 12:35:57 AM »
Hate to be a total downer but I think it's OK to just give it a break for a while until there's another surge in interest. Forcing it only seems to lead to dead/inactive games, even in 9p.

Personally, I don't have much interest in playing here these days because all the fun people either quit or can be found on other sites - my interest in mafia is waning and I want free time for other parts of my life I'm more invested in now, so I just don't have the mentality of "who cares it's mafia time to fill up a playerslot" anymore.