Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189051 times)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: FTL Mafia)
« Reply #630 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
Only 3 more then
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #631 on: May 19, 2015, 06:13:36 AM »
Been a week, a little surprised signups are this slow?
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #632 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:48 AM »
put me on the queue for Some Outside Contact Game

you're welcome bbm
you're welcome vhaltzuki
you're welcome whoever wanted to play with paperblade again (anybody?)

« Reply #633 on: May 20, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
At this rate it will never be hosted though.

Once finals end we should actually start skipping games that don't fill given a certain peroid of time (2 weeks?). Sorry because I know it's shitty to get a setup ready and see how it's not hosted, but the alternative is waiting for months for a game to fill, which results in 1. people who want to play not being able to do so 2. people losing interest over mafia, since it's not the same to play/follow games in a continous way than to only have the chance to do so once in a while. To further explain, if you have time to play mafia but you can't you'll eventually move on and spend that time doing something else. If we want to have an active playerbase the way we are going around games not filling is not going to help.

So yeah, we should stop prioritizing the host to prioritize not only the players, but the playerbase itself.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #634 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
I think lowering the upper ante of setups can also be a viable solution. We often have no problem filling up 9 or so slots within a week, so until we have reignited the interest in mafia I suppose we can make 9p setups a tenporary norm for now
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #635 on: May 20, 2015, 02:20:42 PM »
Mitsuki, I think the issue isn't people not wanting to play the specific setup that's being hosted so much as not having enough eager faces in the first place. Switching the game that's up to bat every two weeks just sounds needlessly complicated, and would still most likely result in no one getting enough signups. (Of course, there may very well be one or two people who would consider /in'ing more if it was a different setup, but that's a 'maybe' and the opposite can always hold true as well.)

DNA's suggestion of swapping to lower player requirement setups for awhile could work, though. There just isn't a whole lot of mafia hype right now to easily get 11+ players.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #636 on: May 20, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
I have a ridiculous number of exams and don't have the motivation to play more than one game anyway right now.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #637 on: May 20, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Counterargument to the active playerbase thing: We've had an active playerbase, and it burned out anyway.

I still think it's best to book a game in advance, like, Mr. X hosts a game in month Y, and have the anticipation build up until then.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #638 on: May 20, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
I'll turn my Free! Mafia game into a 7p game instead then. RESERVE A SPOT NOW because we'll wait for weeks for someone to fill a spot otherwise lol lol lol

« Reply #639 on: May 20, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
Eh, skipping games will mean that a lower playcount game eventually comes around though.

It just means that people are rewarded for hosting smaller games instead of doing the usual thing where small fillers get hosted and the queue doesn't progress. The bigger games will still be there at the top of the queue for whenever there's enough people to play them.

« Reply #640 on: May 20, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »
You don't need to come up with a limitation for the number of players a setup can have if games are just skipped. Also if a host can manage to fill a large setup I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Also waiting for months for a game to fill is dumb and you know it

Bardiche

« Reply #641 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
I'm actually serious about turning my game into 7p due to the dwindling player base. It also means I can be lazier about balance, since less roles interacting with each other.

« Reply #642 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
No idea on whether your game would be filled with your original number of players or not but adapting setups seems like a cool idea. And if a game doesn't fill in the given period of time the host could be given a couple of days (not more) to adapt the setup for the number of players that have signed up.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #643 on: May 20, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »
How about you not complain and not tell me to adapt an already delicate (and time-intensive to make) setup if you're just gonna sideline and not join?

We could be playing Mafia RIGHT NOW if the people debating skipping or adapting my game signed up
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:21:27 PM by NekoNekoRex »

« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:37 PM »
Even if people aren't joining that doesn't mean we should just let the MotK mafia community stall.

Nobody said you had to adapt your setup but if you want it to actually run someday you should. It's your choice, though.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
Well I think it's a little insulting for people to moan about 'why is there no mafia' and 'why is this game not starting let's skip it' when they refuse to join my game for no stated reason.

« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:29 AM »
mafia is self-moderated at this point so people don't have to abide by the queue, really - people could just throw up sign-ups here and whoever fills their game first gets to host. like, if bard wants to host his 7p he can just do it. hell, we could do simultaneous games, not that that means it'd be a good idea

E: i feel 9p is probably a reasonable goal still, though, and more fun than 7p
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:24:23 AM by huh what »

Bardiche

« Reply #647 on: May 21, 2015, 01:36:24 AM »
There's such a thing as politeness, huh whatty.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #648 on: May 21, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »
I dont think we arent 'moaning and complaining' out of disrespect NNR, if anything, its out of the respect for other mods that 'well if i am stressful/have no time/have 2 hrs internet a day i shouldnt join and ruin the experience for others.'

Id appreciate the effort to make the setup, but its also a huge commitment of time for players to play too.
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #649 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:12 AM »
I don't think that 13 players is unreasonable but the host really needs to put in some effort into attracting the players. Like nnr have you tried asking conqueror or Shadoweh or hw to join? Have you tried asking around like for example hw's sf friends and see if they want to join your game? You're not going to get anywhere if you just sit around twiddling your thumbs and wondering why your player list isn't filling up or if you just sit around arguing with people that don't want to join your game for whatever reason. Like go out there and look for other people that are interested.

Edit: I mean it's like you haven't even bothered to repost the player list on new pages. So like put some more effort into finding people that will play.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:23:11 AM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

« Reply #650 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:32 AM »
There's such a thing as politeness, huh whatty.
well I mean the mod of the current game already jumped the queue :V

not saying you should queue jump abruptly, but i'm pretty sure it's fair for hosts to ask around like "hey can i start sign-ups too" and do that if people are totally ok with it

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #651 on: May 21, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
I did after asking everyone else in queue if it was okay, though. Most players didn't even have readied setups.

I don't think that 13 players is unreasonable but the host really needs to put in some effort into attracting the players. Like nnr have you tried asking conqueror or Shadoweh or hw to join? Have you tried asking around like for example hw's sf friends and see if they want to join your game? You're not going to get anywhere if you just sit around twiddling your thumbs and wondering why your player list isn't filling up or if you just sit around arguing with people that don't want to join your game for whatever reason. Like go out there and look for other people that are interested.

Edit: I mean it's like you haven't even bothered to repost the player list on new pages. So like put some more effort into finding people that will play.
yeah, I asked them on IRC, Shadoweh is in some mafiascum hell and conq, uh, apparently conq only /ins at the last signup.

I should go ask Refa again though since it's been two weeks
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:45:15 AM by NekoNekoRex »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #652 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
I think it's really rude to act like a host can just get 12~13 players if they just try to. We don't have the signups BECAUSE those people -don't want to (or can't) play-. Most of the last several games had multiple people from elsewhere too padding the numbers iirc? (And not everyone actually knows many people from other places to ask)

Also if a host can manage to fill a large setup I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Like, really, it's easy to say this, but unless you're dragging 5 players in from somewhere other than MotK it's obviously not going to happen right now, and it's rude to keep saying "well someone OTHER than nnr could totally get that many signups instead  :3", esp. when it isn't a realistic statement. (Yes, made slightly ruder, but that's what's heavily implied whether intended or not, and it's necessary to get this point across)

But anyway, the bottom line here is, we clearly don't have enough people with the time/interest for mafia to realistically fill up more than 9p setups at the moment, so there's not much point in trying to host bigger games; it'll just stall in signups for months on end. Even the last game with several out-of-motk players took almost 2 months and there had been pressure at the end for someone to just sign up before people have to start dropping out. NNR should totally stay top of the queue for future signups assuming no complications (although tbh, the fact that he jumped queue is already a minor complication in terms of "um should he stay there after his game doesn't actually go next??" but unless any of the other hosts really care) but either a filler game or someone else's game should go first as 9p (or his gets adapted to it if he decides on that, whatever happens) in the interest of mafia actually happening; we'd most likely be able to play at least one game before these signups finished in any case.

edit:Unless something happens like refa saying yes, etc, and NNR is actually looking at being 1 player away soon. 3 signups away is highly liable of being forever, unfortunately
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #653 on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
What I'm saying is that it's never going to happen if you do nothing but wait for your game to fill up. Like what about asking Dan, PX, Dorian, O4rfish, Raikaria, whoever else?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #654 on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
well he said he's asked people so I just kind of figured he'd already asked the obvious targets (although tbh when you get to really obvious targets it's people who most likely already know about the signups and just didn't really feel like it)

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #655 on: May 22, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »
I think NNR could sell his game better by using some images/being more active in the thread but ultimately it's up to the player base if they want to support a game by signing up. 

In Megatokyo, we auto-sign up players who post in the sign-up thread, regardless of the content (including "I am not signing up" posts). 

This does have some drawbacks (we often have one or two players who completely afk out) but since we have players in this forum who completely afk out anyway perhaps it would work.  That said, I'll be away from the Internet from mid-July to September though on account of moving countries and having no house. 

We also usually don't have a fixed number of signups.  We say "OK x days until game starts" and everybody who has signed up is in the game.  This means setups are usually only semi-completed before the game day. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2015, 03:23:47 AM »
I think NNR could sell his game better by using some images/being more active in the thread but ultimately it's up to the player base if they want to support a game by signing up. 

In Megatokyo, we auto-sign up players who post in the sign-up thread, regardless of the content (including "I am not signing up" posts). 

This does have some drawbacks (we often have one or two players who completely afk out) but since we have players in this forum who completely afk out anyway perhaps it would work.  That said, I'll be away from the Internet from mid-July to September though on account of moving countries and having no house. 

We also usually don't have a fixed number of signups.  We say "OK x days until game starts" and everybody who has signed up is in the game.  This means setups are usually only semi-completed before the game day. 
I mean, I thought the pretty massive flavor wall would be a nice draw, and I was pretty active up until the thread flat out died. I know I can't multipost in the mafia thread so it's not easy to be active if people stop posting.

As far as images, sure, those are easy to come by. I even have a fine collection of my own screenshots, but they're mostly of me winning.

Refa

• The Nameless Monster
  • This is what I can do, from me to you.
    • YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
« Reply #657 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
"I'll be gone from 6/13 until 6/20 for a vacation cruise, but if that's fine with you, then I don't see why not."

PS This is an /in(no scummerino amirite)

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #658 on: May 22, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
I joined the like, last two games when I shouldn't have you know <.< I think it showed that I was distracted!

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
I think it just showed that you're a scrub.