Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 187819 times)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Touhou: Awareness of Color Mafia)
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2014, 04:12:43 AM »
Banning flavour talk works to an extent but people will find ways around it. It won't stop people from using it privately to break the setup anyway
Uh, what?

I don't really get why a decent person would do either of these things when the mod has explicitly banned them. Which private communication about the game is basically always banned. I mean, people do it with the dead or people outside of the game anyway on a decent basis, I imagine, but those aren't terribly bad as long as they aren't co-scumhunting or something, doing it with living players with the goal of cheesing the setup is huh?

Besides, if you ban flavor talk then there shouldn't be any "finding ways around it", because this isn't a court of law where you can just loophole. You'd just get yelled at by the mod regardless, and probably wouldn't try to do it in the first place because you -know- the mod would yell at you. When I banned flavorclaims in one of my games there wasn't any issue.

IMO flavorhunting is one of the lamest ways to help get reads and banning it is fab (since obv. if it isn't banned you're going to make use of all tools at your disposal) but I don't care enough to be bothered when people do it... as long as it's not to an extreme amount which most setups wouldn't be doable in. But yeah, when a mod decides to be creative with their rolepms, it tends to get kinda risky to fake the flavor.

Some setups get to a point where you just can't avoid the flavor being very hard to fake without gutting the flavor-fun aspect , and there's not really any issue with that; flavor is supposed to just be for fun, not for scumhunting. IMO, at least. It's in the same lines as giving sample rolepms so the first person to state the town wincon wording isn't cleared, which happens on a decent basis :V There's nothing wrong with a fancy-worded wincon, just like nothing is wrong with fancy flavor, but if you let it then players can try to use it as an unfun-type advantage.

bt's post is the concise way to explain it though `-`
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2014, 04:20:04 AM »
Flavor talk is great for the game in some situations, e.g. if your game theme is Death Note :V
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »
Also i am looking for a replacement for Massaca.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2014, 07:12:24 AM »
I don't really get why a decent person would do either of these things when the mod has explicitly banned them. Which private communication about the game is basically always banned.
*cough* Diablo mafia *cough*. Something like private communication out of game takes an explicit, proactive breaking of rules which is a bit different from what I'm trying to say here. :V And even after that I'm sure people break it fairly often, even if it's casually mentioning that mafia is taking up your free time or ranting to a friend about how stupid people in the game are.

Besides, if you ban flavor talk then there shouldn't be any "finding ways around it", because this isn't a court of law where you can just loophole. You'd just get yelled at by the mod regardless, and probably wouldn't try to do it in the first place because you -know- the mod would yell at you. When I banned flavorclaims in one of my games there wasn't any issue.

That's not what I mean. Let's say you're a townie that knows a bit about the flavour of the setup and also knows that flavour and roles are related in this setup. Even if discussing the flavour explicitly is banned or you're personally against flavourgaming, it's not hard to imagine privately letting some of your flavour knowledge influence which scumleads you pursue, even if subconsciously. Even if flavour claims are banned, people will drop hints accidentally, or use their own knowledge about the flavour to deduce by process of elimination. I would come up with examples but you probably have an idea of what I'm talking about.
I think a valid comparison would be using last active times or online status to try and figure out whether someone is trying to avoid the thread. If something is staring you in the face it's hard for people to ignore it; it'll influence them to some extent even if they despise gaming the setup in that way.

Basically what I'm saying is this. If you're clever enough as a mod to let roles and flavour match up in a way that flows well, you're clever enough to make it so the flavour can't be gamed.

Edit: A better example. Someone claimed their role in a way that you know their role pm can't be town because of the way the role pm is worded. Even if you hate using ~*role pm wording*~ to play the game, how many people are going to ignore caught scum in front of them? This kind of situation is avoided by mod communication/quoting bans and sample wincons, but if flavour is a big part of your setup, then there's a good chance info will leak through just normal game discussion.

Edit2: Another example would be banning player guesses in an anon game to preserve the spirit of the game. But people let their identities slip (and other people are just obvious), and if you figure out that the person pretending to be a newbie is actually an experienced player, then that's going to influence the way you view the game. (That said, it normally wouldn't influence much. I don't have anything against banning player guesses in anon games but my point is that people will still let private player guesses influence them in the same way flavour would influence a person in the original example).

Wow that post got bloated fast.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:22:38 AM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
goddam conq the mafia thread is the other one :V

no but that's pretty insightful and cool and makes a lot of sense.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
*cough* Diablo mafia *cough*. Something like private communication out of game takes an explicit, proactive breaking of rules which is a bit different from what I'm trying to say here. :V And even after that I'm sure people break it fairly often, even if it's casually mentioning that mafia is taking up your free time or ranting to a friend about how stupid people in the game are.

*cough* Kamen Rider Mafia *cough*

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Conqueror

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
Whoops, that's what I meant. :V I always get those two games mixed up for some reason.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
The part that confuses me immensely is the part where you heavily imply people are going to have an idea of other people's flavor :S You say "oh you know what I'm talking about" but I don't get how people would actually know as much about the other player's flavor as you're talking about. I guess I can kind of get why you think people would subconsciously drop flavor hints but if it was explicitly banned I think people wouldn't be in RolePlay Mode? (at least if this is a mafia with character names and those are banned- but people usually only roleplay shenanigan in anonymafia where obv. people already know the character)

I mean, you only know your -own- rolepm, and you can't game flavor off that alone. (And also, I already said people casually talk about mafia outside of mafia :V I just said I imagine they don't like, actually try to do it in a game-influencing manner)

If you're clever enough as a mod to let roles and flavour match up in a way that flows well, you're clever enough to make it so the flavour can't be gamed.
The reason I had to ban it in my game was less that the roles/flavour matched (ala the sample Mokou role pm from this mafia game) and more that several of the roles were too well flavored to just make up on the fly. (3/4th of the rolepms were flavor textwalls and x-tremely serelaey) The people who had to fakeclaim would have been like, fuck, time to get drunk and wait for inspiration, and while it might have been hilarious that's not the kind of game balance I wanted :V Especially with the townies who very possibly could be cleared by having too-convincing roleflavor (Half the roles were probably "I can't make this shit up" tier), which is same tier as the wincon thing >_>

Granted, the more common issue is "Does that power actually match up with the character they fakeclaimed?", but having to very carefully fakeclaim the FLAVOR rather than just worrying about the power is just annoying, the upside is mods usually seem to just outright help the scum with that (up to actually giving them fakeclaims at the start of the game or in rolepm, like Pesco did in Darker than Black, even if some of those fakeclaims were uhhh :V) It just gets worse though when you have to do things like claim names of your powers and etc. Basically the more heavily flavored the mod makes the game, the more likely it is to be abusable, especially when if it's not just based on a familiar series where you can pick a character whose powers are more appropriate for your intended fakeclaim.

this isn't usually a big issue because most games aren't too heavily flavored but when a mod decides to go heavy, yeah. I think in MotK people used to ask for very thorough flavorclaims as part of the standard (which was lame but understandable)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
My games are pretty flavour-heavy and people haven't been able to puzzle out roles/actions based on flavour. 8)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
Learn to reread Serela. DtB had abilities that could be deduced from flavour because all power roles were simply called Contractor and the traditional power role names were actually the mundanes. Scum did not get fakeclaims since their composition was one known enemy, one neutral and one semi-main character. Hele was town and everyone else punished themselves for not believing I'd put a contract maker character in a game with contractors.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
what I remembered one of the scum having some fakeclaim about eating hamburgers

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
Banning flavour talk works to an extent but people will find ways around it. It won't stop people from using it privately to break the setup anyway.

A better way is to make it so that flavour can't break the game by either being creative with fakeclaims or being unpredictable with your flavour-role associations.
I don't see how it could be broken. I put lots of flavor into my role PMS, then included a tl;dr to summarize the role for use in claiming.
The setup itself is sound, as long as nobody reveals the flavor associated with their role.
Hello, welcome to the game , Blorbian Defense Ship
<Immense flavor paragraph describing your role name, you sided with The Rebels just because. Also you don't exist in FTL because I made this up>
Your abilities are:
<Shield Cannon Weapon>, some gun that doesn't exist in FTL
You have this big neato bubble cannon you can use to protect other ships, fire it with ##Shield: Person
You win if you destroy the Federation ships

tldr you're the Town Doctor
Essentially what my Role PMs look like. You could completely ignore reading the roles if you just scroll down to the bottom, and as long as you don't hint at or state any of the flavor stuff above the tl;dr, you're safe. It's also structured in a way that you can't really match roles to particular flavor, although this is due in part to the fact that most of the role options you can get are available on all ships I've put roles for (and even if you tried to do that I would immediately threaten or modkill you anyway)

If I removed the flavor now that would be an immense amount of work wasted.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:30:46 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Conqueror

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »
The part that confuses me immensely is the part where you heavily imply people are going to have an idea of other people's flavor :S You say "oh you know what I'm talking about" but I don't get how people would actually know as much about the other player's flavor as you're talking about.
I think we're talking about different things here. I assume that you're talking about I Wanna Be the Sereliest, where the flavour was completely original and so impossible to guess for normal players. :V I meant more along the lines of flavour that is based on something that you could easily find information about on the internet.

Quote from: NNR
stuff
Flavour is part of the fun in mafia so removing it would be lame yeah. Banning flavour claims in your game would just make the game a normal mafia game with differently named roles, which is also fine I guess. The stuff I typed above made a lot more sense when I was writing it last night, but reading back I think I'm just used to reading games with people who either roleplay or character claim in the course of the game.

Edit: It's like playing a Touhou mafia game where no one can claim their character, even when put at L-1, in which case the flavour might as well be interchangeable with a normal setup unless there are interesting mod scenes (which mods are usually too lazy to do). I guess it feels personally weird to me, but I can see why you would have to do that for a game where the source material is harder to work with.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:18:56 AM by Conqueror »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
I think we're talking about different things here. I assume that you're talking about I Wanna Be the Sereliest, where the flavour was completely original and so impossible to guess for normal players. :V I meant more along the lines of flavour that is based on something that you could easily find information about on the internet.
Flavour is part of the fun in mafia so removing it would be lame yeah. Banning flavour claims in your game would just make the game a normal mafia game with differently named roles, which is also fine I guess. The stuff I typed above made a lot more sense when I was writing it last night, but reading back I think I'm just used to reading games with people who either roleplay or character claim in the course of the game.

Edit: It's like playing a Touhou mafia game where no one can claim their character, even when put at L-1, in which case the flavour might as well be interchangeable with a normal setup unless there are interesting mod scenes (which mods are usually too lazy to do). I guess it feels personally weird to me, but I can see why you would have to do that for a game where the source material is harder to work with.
I plan to do lot of mod scenes (the OP/Rules is completely flavored) and I'll allow people to act how they would for the Townie faction (The Town is a coalition of rebels out to crush the last of the Federation), but as far as flavor claims / flavor roleplay, I can't allow it. There's simply not enough material for three believable fakeclaims. I could manage one at most. Maybe a second one but the material I'm thinking of is difficult to believe to be town with flavor outed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:13:06 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

CF7

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2014, 05:24:58 AM »
Looking for a replacement for Chaore. And this one is kind of urgent.

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:26 AM »
the best way to handle flavor spec / role spec problems is to build up a mod meta where people will expect to be punished for doing so and won't realize they can use it to solve the set-up until it's too late

E: which I guess means just be Pesco, but I would call for a D1 massclaim in a pesco game.
E2: although Pesco more has the opposite problem but that edit was about the qb thing.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
I thought the cutscenes for VA2 were well flavored, and I don't think anybody claimed their PM flavor. Maybe you could have everyone claim publicly one crewmember, as I'm assuming the PM flavors are entire ships?
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »
I thought the cutscenes for VA2 were well flavored, and I don't think anybody claimed their PM flavor. Maybe you could have everyone claim publicly one crewmember, as I'm assuming the PM flavors are entire ships?
PM flavors are entire ships, and the races that built said ships if applicable. Abilities are a weapon or augment that ship type is known for.

And yeah, I plan to do cut scenes and other nonsense for flavor like VA2. The flavor is very heavy, I even replace a lot of common Mafia terms with FTL-themed ones.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:36:27 PM by NekoNekoRex »

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:39 AM »
I.... guess... I'll replace in... :ohdear:

CF7

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
Looking for a replacement for Dan.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
/in as replacement mod

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2014, 01:30:53 AM »
Hi guys, we still need a replacement for Dan.
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »
Hey again guys.  Yeah I can do as a replacement.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:56 PM »
Sent

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2014, 03:05:30 AM »
I can't remember the last time Affinity existed. For some reason it feels like Serela and Affinity are the same person.

To be fair though i sort people mentally by the following list:

Serela:
Serela
Raikaria
Affinity

Not Serela
Bard
Dorian
Skypal
Conq
Polaris
Mitsuki
The other Mitsuki Mitsuki's Girlfriend Vhaltz
Shadoweh
BT
Dan
Other people I can't be bothered to list

im gay:
Prims

A Jerk:
PX
Schezo
Pesco
Edible

Dormio:
Dormio
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:11:51 AM by NekoNekoRex »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2014, 03:16:53 AM »
Oh sweet I don't have Dormio in my tier of matchmaking. Hi5 Edibleh :D

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »
I see that NekoNekoRex has come to appreciate how great I am and realizes that no other being could possibly come close to reaching my level.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2014, 03:50:45 AM »
I've always existed.  Your memory of me might not have, though.

« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2014, 04:09:13 AM »
still better than Raikaria going "who's Polaris" when I was about to host my game B(

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
I'd never played with you D:

Also yay I'm Serela. HI SERELA

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.