Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Magical Mahjong Mafia)  (Read 189542 times)

Re: RPG Mafia Thread V (Current Game: Draft Mafia)
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
As a player probably something like random cop, As a spectator though I would find all anti-fun roles really fun to watch usually.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »
paranoid gun owning vig

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm posting here because I have a very important question I'd like to ask you all. Which mafia role is the most antifun?
I remember having a role, whose purpose was finding another role (that role was sort of a mafia godfather with some bonus stuff). I did that on N1. The catch? I was forbidden to tell the results in the thread, while other players could post their results.

Also there was a bomb giver in the game. It was said in the rules, that nothing can stop the bomb from killing the player. I got the bomb and happily tossed it at the guy i found. And you know what? I got roleblocked. But the bomb ignores blocks. But the GM said it was a "special" roleblock designed to block actions of the group of the roles i belonged to.
I was kind of not in the mood to play by the rules after that, dropped lots of not so subtle hints about the role of the other player, he was lynched and i was modkilled as a result.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »
Do you mean for that player or for other people?

For the player, I would say anything that gives them expectations which are not met is antifun. The player doesn't get as mad about the role which backfires as they do about the role which does not perform as advertised.

For other people, maybe anything OP or anything designed to screw over a small amount of other people. I guess any role which makes the game not work as expected.

Yeah, having your expectations subverted can be fun but I think it's more likely to not be fun.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:43:40 AM by O4rfish »
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
Supermiller. Miller that scans AND flips red but is town.

Easily ruins games even if you out your own role, because Town is Dumb and will take your flip 100% as shown even if you die screaming you're a miller and they'll be happy to base their meta and setup spec and reads around the wrong flip.

Just go look at the game I was this role and see how true this is.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:04:08 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
Musicboxman.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2015, 02:30:09 PM »
I hate any role with random elements.  I don't mind 'pick from a list of secret options' but anything where the GM actually has to roll a dice or flip a coin just irks me. 

I also hate the Baker role (Baker delivers bread, if the baker dies, players without bread starve and die). 

Lying role pm's are also kind of anti-fun, unless you signed up for that kind of thing. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
I hate any role with random elements.  I don't mind 'pick from a list of secret options' but anything where the GM actually has to roll a dice or flip a coin just irks me. 

I actually think this nails pretty handily the worst roles to have in a game, although I'd include the "player has no control over what he's doing through ignorance" part. Taking control from a player's hands and subjecting it to the whims of the dice, or worse yet, the whims of ~MYSTERY~ (which is almost as bad, except now you can blame the player) is terrible.

Bardiche

« Reply #428 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
We've been on Mafia break since November, are we done celebrating yet?

« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
SB, are you going to open your signups again?
I might join a game next week if some signups are open but I really feel like playing a small setup and even SB's game seems to have too many players.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
I can reopen signups after I get through mocks (so on Thursday).

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
ATTEMPT 2

If you joined before and /in again, send me numbers again anyway even if you don't want to change them.

RULES:
0. As the host, I have the right to edit these rules at any time. If this happens, you will be informed.
1. The game is NOC, meaning you don't talk about the game outside of this game thread while it is ongoing.
2. If you're dead, don't talk to anyone who doesn't have access to the graveyard quicktopic. You can ask to be informed, but please don't spoil the rest of the graveyard.
3. Screenshotting and quoting any information given by the host outside of the thread well result in a modkill.
4. Editing posts is banned, although depending on the severity of the edit punishment may be more lax.
5. Should you be modkilled through any fault of your own, you automatically lose. Tactical modkills are even lamer and will be dealt with accordingly.
6. The game starts on Day 1.
7. Nights last for 24 hours, days last for 72 hours. You may not talk during the night phase.
8. If your action fails or is redirected, you will be informed as such.
9. A hammer is required to lynch. It takes over 50% of the total votes in order to hammer. Failure to achieve a lynch twice will result in universal loss.
10. *YLO will not be announced, as you should be able to figure it out for yourselves.
11. Play to win, but don't spoil the enjoyment of others.

SETUP INFO:
There are 7 townies and 2 mafia members. By default, everyone is a vanilla. Unless stated otherwise, the mafia members can perform the factional kill and use their roles in the same night.

Your role in this game is determined by the drafting process, and I'm stealing the explanation from the mafiascum wiki because it can be kind of difficult to explain.

Quote from: Drafting
1. Each player sends in two numbers to the moderator, between 1 and 10 in the format (x,x).
2. Which ever player sends in the lowest unique first number (i.e. no other player sent in the same first number) gets the first pick.
3. Whoever picked the second-lowest unique number goes second, up until there are no more unique first numbers.
4. After there are no more unique first numbers, the next pick goes to the person with the lowest first number that matched only one other first number, but has a lower number than that other person. After he picks, that other person picks.
5. After the first tied pair picks, the second-lowest tied pair picks, and who picks first is based again on whoever has the lowest second number.
6. After all of the two-way ties are resolved, the three-way-ties are again resolved in a similar fashion, based again on who picked the lowest second number, then the second-lowest second number, etc.
7. If anyone picks *both* the same numbers as anyone else, they are bumped entirely to the end of the list.
If multiple pairs are bumped to the end of the list, the pair with the lower first numbers picked goes before the pair with the higher first numbers picked.
8. Of each pair bumped to the end of the list, they must each roll again separately and the draft operates recursively.

Send me the numbers after you sign up in thread so that setting up the game takes less time. You will learn your alignment as well as the drafting order (as it will be made public) after signups are filled and all alignments go out, and you well send in the role you want then. The mafia may converse pregame while making their choices.

The roles in this game are:

Quote from: Tracker
USER, you have selected the Tracker.

During the night, you may ##Track a player to learn who they visited, but not what they did.
Quote from: Roleclop
USER, you have selected the Roleclop.

During the night, you may ##Investigate a player to learn their role, but not their alignment.
Quote from: Doctor
USER, you have selected the Doctor.

During the night, you may ##Protect a player to prevent all attempts on their life that night. You may not self-target.

Quote from: Roleblocker
USER, you have selected the Roleblocker.

During the night, you may ##Roleblock a player to prevent them from carrying out any night actions that night.
Quote from: Neighbourizer
USER, you have selected the Neighbourizer.

During the night, you may ##Neighbourize a player to open a private quicktopic with them outside of the thread. All neighbours will be added to the same quicktopic, which will close when you die.
USER, you have selected the Jack of all Trades.

During the night, you may ##Strongman Kill another player in place of your factional kill, ensuring that the target dies despite any attempts made to protect them or interfere with your action. Alternatively, you may ##Ninja Kill in place of your factional kill, allowing you to kill a player without being seen by any Trackers targetting you. You may only use these abilities once in the game.

The priority list is as follows (with the Strongman first):

-Strongman
-Roleblocker
-Doctor
-Factional Kill
-Neighbourizer
-Roleclop
-Tracker

SIGNUPS:
1. Dormio
2. Dr Rawr
3. Sky Paladin
4. CF7
5. Raikaria
6. Zakeri
7. Mitsuki
8. Bard

If anything is confusing, tell me so that I can make it clearer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:41:39 PM by SB »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
[08:11:26] <Benio_Dormekawa> @choose join the mafia game or this is a terrible idea
[08:11:28] <Keine-tan> Benio_Dormekawa: I choose...join the mafia game! ^_^V
This is a terrible idea.
/in

« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:29 AM »
/in for some fun

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
« Reply #434 on: January 16, 2015, 12:22:45 AM »
/in

Now to pick two random numbers o/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #435 on: January 16, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »
Sorry, my free time has somehow disappeared. I still like the concept.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #436 on: January 16, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »
Eh, why not.
/in
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:12 AM »
/in

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
Rawr, you need to send me numbers.

« Reply #439 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:38 AM »
man for some reason I find it amazing just how quick the first few signups were.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

« Reply #440 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »
/Imperishable Night

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #441 on: January 18, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
Not sure if Zak's post was an /in or not? But if it is he needs to send numbers too.

« Reply #442 on: January 18, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
/in

Yesterday I played irl mafia and we made a 6p setup with 2 anarchists that were aligned with each other, 1 one-shot BP townie and 3VTs. Probably the most swingy thing ever but god, that was really fun.

Bardiche

« Reply #443 on: January 18, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
/in

Just randomise my numbers for me, idgaf

So Mafia, very game, wow
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:05:58 PM by Pesco »

« Reply #444 on: January 25, 2015, 03:16:06 AM »
You say that but I'm having more fun now than I will after the game starts.

« Reply #445 on: January 25, 2015, 08:29:28 PM »
SB, could you adapt your setup so that it may run with a lower amount of players? I know it's not nice to ask for this but at this rate the game will never start.
Anyways I understand it if you want to keep it like it is.

Bardiche

« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
I'd rather not more games end up in queue, I already wail at the thought of some jerk cutting in front of me when I finally get to host FREE! MAFIA YES NOT HOMOEROTIC AT ALL

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
« Reply #447 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
We could run a small game now.  Once people see activity in the thread, more players may appear for SB's game. 

I am near the front of the queue and would be happy to run with this amount of players.  I could give up my slot and run a game now. 

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

« Reply #448 on: January 26, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
I don't think I'd join another setup, I want to play SB's game.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:51 AM »
I can probably downsize it to 9p and cut a couple of roles out? Which would mean that there'd only need to be one more signup (and Rawr you still need to send me numbers).