Author Topic: Kuroko's Basketball Doujinshi banned from C83  (Read 12370 times)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
Kuroko's Basketball Doujinshi banned from C83
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/12/08-1/no-kurokos-basketball-doujinshi-circles-allowed-at-comic-market

As the title says, no Doujinshi related to Kuroko's Basketball will be sold at C83 due to threat letters by some guy who, apparently, really doesn't like the series.
I don't know Kuroko's Basketball and I don't have any interest in any of the Doujinshi affected, but it still makes me angry what effects the actions of such low-lives can have. I didn't think much of the threat letters when they first started appearing, but screwing over 900 circles at once for whatever reason certainly does give me an idea of how bad this has gotten.
I understand why the committee would give in to the demands, but it's unfair, plain and simple.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Kuroko's Basketball Doujinshi banned from C83
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
To give a sense of scope on this issue, even /jp/, which is pretty strongly anti-fujoshi, thinks this is fucked up.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
It's a horrible situation with no good answer.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
What was the exact wording of the threat, and did it give any reason why they were threatening?

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
Wouldn't put my hand into the fire for any of the results that popped up on google, but some sources cite messages to the extent of "Tadatoshi Fujimaki is despicable" (http://shinigamilist.com/2012/10/21/new-threat-letter-at-the-kuroko-no-basuke-doujinshi-event-on-october-13/.

This site seems to have a solid summary of the events so far, though, but I have no idea how credible it is:
http://sukikatte.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/naver-matome-updated-1122-kuroko-no-basket-threats-roundup-of-the-posts-by-the-culprit-the-reaper-in-mourning/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:20:18 PM by Lepetit89 »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »

Wow.

What the flying flak.

I'm at a loss for words here.

I hope the police find him and put him in jail. He is doing nothing to help himself and doing everything to spread as much bitterness and impotent rage as possible.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:34:13 PM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Drake

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
It has nothing to do with the series itself; it has to do with a personal grudge (for some undetermined probably fucked-up reason) against the author, the fact that the author got super popular from their manga despite this grudge, and the crazy guy's basketball uniform fetish.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
Yeah, I figured. He's still being total garbage about the situation, though.

I mean, even by the standards of belligerent weirdness that crop up amongst otaku, this is lousy.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:46:15 AM »
I almost want to go on the first day just to see how the circles who were going to sell stuff deal with it. Will it be a ghost town or will they just whip up some books on another franchise they ran off a copy machine? Unfortunately, I'm about 75% sure I'll be working that day so oh well.

Understandably, a lot of JP Twitter is kind of upset, since this implies that anyone crazy enough could shut down anything they wanted at Comiket. There's also concern about how the Comiket planning committee is going to handle the booth fee for the circles involved. Will they get any kind of refund or are they just out that, too?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:11:34 AM »
I HOPE that if Comic Market buckles that easily that the regulars splinter off to form their own event.

Even if there's a lot riding on the line, it just wouldn't do to shut down everything for the sake of appeasing someone who's too cowardly to not hide behind threat letters.

What a mess. :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:14:43 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:58:05 AM »
Crap, this kind of thing comes up on the very Comiket I planned to visit.
That is really sad. Imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if this kind of thing happens to other popular series.
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Edible

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:40:33 AM »
Crap, this kind of thing comes up on the very Comiket I planned to visit.
That is really sad. Imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if this kind of thing happens to other popular series.

The thing is, kurobasu is probably the #1 trend in male-oriented doujinshi atm (I'm sure someone has hard numbers for this).  It doesn't have much comparison in popularity.  This is a massive blow for fans of the series and doujinshi enthusiasts as a whole.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:44:44 AM »
I know Comic Market can't exactly hire their own private army just on the possibility that some deranged loser MIGHT be serious on his threat but at the same time...Dammit, there's gotta be a better idea than this somewhere.

I mean, they didn't stop showing The Dark Knight Rises because of that screwloose shooter, did they?

pineyappled

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:35 AM »
The thing is, kurobasu is probably the #1 trend in male-oriented doujinshi atm (I'm sure someone has hard numbers for this).  It doesn't have much comparison in popularity.  This is a massive blow for fans of the series and doujinshi enthusiasts as a whole.
you mean female-oriented right :V

Edible

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:58:40 AM »
Male-oriented as in it's focused on males, not marketed towards them. :D

Anyway, just checked my sources.  Kurobasu was the #1 series for doujinshi featuring males during C82, and would have been #1 again for C83.  Only two series were ahead of it for either comiket - Tiger & Bunny, which has doujins featuring both men and women (and is very close in numbers  to Kuroko's Basketball anyway) and, of course, touhou (which remains #1 by a mile).

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
and, of course, touhou (which remains #1 by a mile).

Ugh I started thinking of the worst case scenario here :( Nope, let's hope it doesn't happen.

I know Comic Market can't exactly hire their own private army just on the possibility that some deranged loser MIGHT be serious on his threat but at the same time...Dammit, there's gotta be a better idea than this somewhere.
IKR? I was wondering why they can't just throw this guy in jail.
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »
IKR? I was wondering why they can't just throw this guy in jail.

Probably because he's proving more evasive than expected and security issues for a comic convention sadly probably aren't highest-tier on the police list, even though it's one of the biggest conventions.

I hope someone does SOMEthing, though. The only reason I can think of to show mercy on this guy is because he's a petty coward on top of his other horrible issues.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 04:33:15 AM »
He is not even evasive, if you read the Naver site with his confessions, he has leaked all his clothing detail, stuff which when leaked can lead to CCTV footages, he was wearing a dark robe in the broad daylight, in a university no less, with people running around.

He says he has a package, which is neatly wrapped, his face wasn't even covered, just the hoodie like extension of the robe. And here we have police who are busy checking if any old men were asking directions from elementary kids in case they may be asking for 'more'. It is, as I understand it, a manner of priorities, the law has none.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »
Christ, they're stepping up security AND punting out all the relevant circles. And apparently they've been trying to catch this asshole for months despite him posting his appearance.

I hope Comic Market properly reimburses the circles for this, at least.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:59:02 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:51 AM »
Christ, they're stepping up security

Ah fuck, there goes everyone's Tetsuyagumi plans :(
(although I haven't really heard of them kicking people out staying at TBS overnight, chances are this time they might get serious about it)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »
Yeah, Comiket always tries to strongly dissuade people from not staying out all night but there's ALWAYS a line starting as early as 7 or 8 PM the night before. They even fence it off with cones and bars. I guess it's just an "official" stance they have to take to appear respectable.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
next thing you know Touhou is banned everywhere coz someone is angry Comiket is basically Reitaisai now. >:)
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

pineyappled

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
next thing you know Touhou is banned everywhere coz someone is angry Comiket is basically Reitaisai now. >:)
>now
If they wanted to get rid of 2hu, they would have done it a long time ago. :V

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
this is assuming there is no one going 'I will now commit self-immolation at Comiket if you allow any more Touhou doujinshi groups' on this one.
So far, there hasn't been, I imagine it will, one day... I hope not.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
In general, the current outcome as well the previous situation have been quite problematic.

Give in to the demands and you'll open the doors for potential copycats whose lack of intelligence is only rivaled by their complete and utter lack of cojones and the media and a lot of people will probably be angry.

Do not give in and the media will call you irresponsible at best; at worst, you'll wind up with lots of people dead, lawsuits and the media (again).

No matter what the recipient of such a letter does, the instant they receive a threat letter they have already lost; all they can do is minimize the damage or bet on whichever option they're going to pick and then pray it was the right one.

I really can't blame them for picking the option that has the least damage potential, but I still hate to see it when people like the guy writing the threat letters in this case actually get their way; if I were 30 years older, I'd probably ramble about youngsters no longer needing or growing any balls thanks to the internet and hell, I still think that's the case, but anonymous threats have been a problem since long before the internet existed. In the end, this whole situation merely goes to show how low a person we're dealing with here, a person who'd rather sit on a grudge instead of letting it go and terrorize people for god knows what reason, then affecting hundreds of other people in a more than negative way because it's the next best option the guy can take without revealing who he is, because hey, that would require a minimum amount of courage.

No idea why, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Outside of capturing a guy who hides behind a screen and anonymous letters, there's no way to deal with this, that's upsetting, to say the least. I don't think it would make a difference if this threat pertained to Touhou; I'm not upset because of what is being targeted, I'm upset because of what is being done and upset because it affects people who can't do a thing about it. I really, really hope for everyone involved that the police manage to track down the guy and that he will receive the punishment he deserves. 

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
I really, really hope for everyone involved that the police manage to track down the guy and that he will receive the punishment he deserves.
Oh yes definitely '_' it would be really great if they can deal with this guy and make an example out of him so as to prevent possible copycat cases from arising in the future.

Drake

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
Uh Lepetit, you are putting way too much into portraying someone who's demonstrated to be batshit insane as a normal person. You're talking about things like "who'd rather sit on a grudge instead of letting it go", yet even people who aren't insane choose that, never mind somebody who is, and "cowardly and hides behind a screen" is pretty much wrong here to begin with. You're looking at basically all the wrong things in that description.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
Oh yes definitely '_' it would be really great if they can deal with this guy and make an example out of him so as to prevent possible copycat cases from arising in the future.
The copycat cases are the biggest concern to me after they catch this bastard. I'm sure a few people are watching how this plays out and planning how they can do it too to satisfy their personal vendettas. Obvious this is just speculation but maybe the fear of copycats is why we don't know much about this guy.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
Uh Lepetit, you are putting way too much into portraying someone who's demonstrated to be batshit insane as a normal person. You're talking about things like "who'd rather sit on a grudge instead of letting it go", yet even people who aren't insane choose that, never mind somebody who is, and "cowardly and hides behind a screen" is pretty much wrong here to begin with. You're looking at basically all the wrong things in that description.

I don't see why it's wrong to highlight those characteristics when they aren't healthy, neither for insane people nor for normal ones. They irritate me in both cases.