Author Topic: Visiting the Neighbors - Kanako in the Netherworld  (Read 97383 times)

Visiting the Neighbors - Kanako in the Netherworld
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
>The world of Gensokyo is not alone in the universe. It has many neighbors, many worlds, each holding their own brand of wonder, of mystery, of perils. One of the things that all these worlds have in common is that they all suffer the peeping watchful eye of one Yukari Yakumo. Some would say she does this to ensure the safety of her own world. Some would say she's a nosy little so-and-so. Some would say both, but this being Yukari, the truth is likely far to the side of any of these options.

>Her faithful shikigami slave servant Ran understood why she hadn't informed anyone outside of herself of these other worlds. Gensokyo functioned just fine on its own. It didn't need to meddle in other worlds' business any more than other worlds needed to stick their nose into Gensokyo's business. So it was with a great deal of surprise that, on one clear winter's night, when Ran was seated on the veranda of their home, her own Shikigami Chen dozing in her lap as she gazed at the full moon in the sky, her mistress barged out of their front door and declared "I'll be gone for a while, Ran."
>Centuries of discipline meant that Ran managed not to jump in surprise, though she did blink once as Yukari strode past her. "Where are you going, Yukari-sama?"
>"Flonyard first, then Laharl's Netherworld."
>The kitsune's jaw sagged momentarily. "Beg your pardon?"
>"Mind the barrier. I'll be back for the others in a while." was all Yukari said before jumping into a gap and disappearing. Under normal circumstances, she would have sighed in resignation and made ready to pick up her slack. As usual. But the mention of those two names rendered Ran, for the first time in nearly a century, simply stunned. She did think, however, that while she didn't know who these 'others' were, she had a pretty strong inclination that they had some interesting days ahead. At least, she hoped it would remain merely 'interesting', as one could never be sure when Yukari-sama was up to something.

Welcome to Visiting the Neighbors, a Z-adventure. As you may infer from the post above, this game will involve some of the residents of Gensokyo visiting three worlds not their own. To what end? For what purpose? All in good time.
You, the players, shall decide which of these three worlds you wish to explore. Once you have made this decision, you will be able to choose which of the available Touhous you wish to control while she (or perhaps he) is there. Yukari has already decided who shall be sent to each world, but you shall decide whose hand you wish to guide, whose actions to determine. And the three worlds available to you to explore are:

Choice A - The world of Pok?mon
Choice B - The world of Flonyard (Dog Days)
Choice C - The Netherworld (Disgaea 1)

The choice is yours.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:02:32 AM by Sourfang, Guardian of Hope »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: Visiting the Neighbors (Loading Phase - Choose your world)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
Ooh!

>Choice C!
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
The Netherworld. Was there really any doubt?

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »
I'll leave voting open for another day or two, for those of you that wish to jump in at this point of the game.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »
You have chosen: Disgaea route.

Character Selection Screen:
>Kanako Yasaka
>Suwako Moriya
>Yuugi Hoshigami
>Shou Toramaru*
>Shikieiki Yamaxanadu
>Remilia Scarlet*
>Kaguya Houraisan
>Seiga Kaku*
>Rika
>Hina Kagiyama

* = These three characters start with other touhous as companions. If you start as Shou, Nazrin accompanies you as an NPC. If you start as Remilia, Flandre accompanies you as an NPC. If you start as Seiga, Yoshika accompanies you as your NPC slave.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
Re: Visiting the Neighbors (Disgaea Route. Character Selection Screen)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:06 AM »
Why aren't Kanako and Suwako together (and why isn't Sanae with either of them)?

>Kanako

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »
Why aren't Kanako and Suwako together (and why isn't Sanae with either of them)?

Both are very good questions. The first one will be answered during the course of the game, even if neither of those two are the chosen protagonist. As for Sanae, quite simply, someone has to mind the store while the Goddesses are away.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
Kanako. We must abuse Laharl's weakness.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
>Remilia Scarlet

Because hey, three insanely powerful demon kids butting heads due to arrogance and childish naivete? That's standard Disgaea comedy right there!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
Yeah, so shouldn't we mix things up a bit by throwing something different into the mix? Besides, Kanako trying to get faith from all the whackjobs there oughta be fun.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
I still wanna see Remi and Laharl butt heads. :V
Think of the concentrated arrogance and ham! Oh sure, we could get that with Kanako, but due to Laharl's weakness to just what she is, the only ham's gonna be from her.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »
We'll likely run into the others at some point, so there's a pretty good chance that'll happen anyways.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:56 PM »
Either way, I ain't changin' my vote.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »
Wasn't trying to get you to.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Wouldn't have thought you'd want to play Remilia in two games at once, there, Hanzo. :P

Nevertheless, that's 2 for Kanako, 1 for Remilia/Flandre. As before, voting will remain open for a day or two.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »
Hey, the prospect of Remi getting to butt heads with Laharl is a rare opportunity y'know, I can't pass this up!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Yeah, that's another reason I'd rather not play Remilia; we already have a Remilia Quest.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
Ah, but the thing about this one is that once we clear Remi's Route, we can likely play through the OTHER routes.
Correct?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:03 AM »
I still want to play as Kanako.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:22 AM »
Ah, but the thing about this one is that once we clear Remi's Route, we can likely play through the OTHER routes.
Correct?

You pose an interesting question.
All characters in Disgaea will be active at the same time. In my initial inception, I had not considered the 'alternate routes' approach. I'll give it some thought.

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 03:04:43 AM »
I'll vote Kanako to break the vote. Now I'll be lurking this thread if you don't mind.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
I'll vote Kanako to break the vote. Now I'll be lurking this thread if you don't mind.

Lurk or play as you may. Either way, that's 3 for Kanako and 1 for Remilia/Flandre. I'll be starting the game tomorrow sometime. I'm about to launch Lotus Episode 3, and I don't enough gas to make TWO opening posts before I crash.

In regards to Hanzo's question about alternate routes, I'm inclined to say that yes, you can. Treating each protagonist as a seperate playable route is an idea that hadn't occured to me when I came up with this quest, but it's a good one. Once you finish the Kanako route, assuming she wins, then you'll be free to start another one, if you choose.
Of course, you can also choose one of the other two worlds as well, if you wish. Which reminds me, if anyone's interested in seeing the protagonist options from either Pokemon or Dog Days, I can toss them up here if you wish

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »
>You are Kanako Yasaka, Goddess of the Winds, 'patron' god of the Moriya Shrine. Mentor to Sanae Kochiya, partner and friend to Suwako Moriya. By some standards, you are the ruler of Youkai Mountain, but you don't really consider yourself such. Such an impression, after all, tends to give people the wrong idea about you.

>Ages ago, you were one of many warring Gods in ancient Japan, and you carved a niche for yourself after getting the better of the earth goddess Suwako, taking over her shrine and her territory. However, you eventually agreed to let her stay on, and an arrangement formed between you. In business terminology, you would be the front man of the shrine, while Suwako handled the books. This arrangement served you well for many, many years, and now you would consider the frog goddess your friend.
>Eventually, though, you realized that the faith of the outside world could no longer sustain you, so you and Suwako pooled your might and transported your shrine, along with its nearby lake, to the land of Gensokyo, and set about setting up your supply of faith anew. Your plan was not only to revitalize your own shrine, but also unite the faiths of Gensokyo under your banner, thus bolstering the spirits of the people of Gensokyo and ensuring your own prosperity for ages yet to come. Reimu Hakurei, however, had other ideas, and bested not only Sanae but you as well.

>Some years have passed since that day when you first arrived, and you and your family have firmly established a place for yourself in Gensokyo. The Tengu of Youkai Mountain have come to an agreement with you, and while your relationship is cordial, even friendly, there is still a current of 'you stay off my turf, we'll stay off yours'. The Kappa, however, are more friendly towards you, as both you and they share a common interest: Scientific exploration and advancement. Some would consider it odd for a God such as yourself to be more progressive than traditional, but that's how you are. You have no time for being stuck in the past. True, that Utsuho situation didn't turn out quite the way you expected, but Reimu was there to clean up your mess, and the results have been positive, all in all.
>The recent arrivals of the Myoren crew, as well as those Taoists, have caused you some measure of concern. Your relationship with both factions is good, largely due to Sanae's actions, but the arrival of more rivals religions is always a cause for concern. You've vowed to keep a close watch on both factions. In fact, you had been considering going down to visit the Myoren temple yourself soon, to see if they're all Sanae cracks them up to be. You love your shrine maiden Sanae, but sometimes you do need to verify her stories yourself.

>It is summer, early morning, and you are standing by the lakeside behind your shrine, enjoying the reflection of the sun in the water. The wind tells you the weather will be clear today. One of Yukari Yakumo's gaps is opening above the lake waters, and a fish swims by the shore in front of y-
>Wait, a gap? You quench a sigh before it forms. Whenever THAT youkai shows her face, you know things are going to get troublesome.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
Re: Visiting the Neighbors - Kanako in the Netherworld
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
> Prepare the logs onbashira!

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
> Prepare the logs onbashira!

>Never one to be caught unprepared, when you can help it, you call in your trademarked onbashira and lock them on your back.
>It is the sight of a battle-ready Kanako that Yukari sees when she emerges from her gap, which closes behind her. She takes note of your so-called 'gun-cannons', then gives you that smirk of hers that seems to infuriate everyone who sees it. "I'm sorry, have I come at a bad time?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
>"One can never be too careful when you are involved."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »
>"One can never be too careful when you are involved."

>"I'm hurt." Yukari replies, feigning wounded pride. "One would think I was some kind of harbinger of chaos."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »
>Raise an eyebrow in that sort of 'I know how you are' way.
>"As they say in the Outside World, 'If the shoe fits'."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
>Raise an eyebrow in that sort of 'I know how you are' way.
>"As they say in the Outside World, 'If the shoe fits'."

>Yukari heaves a much put upon sigh. "Perhaps I should hire a publicist." she muses as she floats through the air towards you. "Does that mean you've no interest in hearing my proposal?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
>Raise an eyebrow in a slightly interested way. "I know I will likely end up regretting this, but I'll hear it and decide for myself if it's beneficial."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!