Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 271392 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #240 on: December 19, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
Can I do it on MoTK?

Yes.

Which board do I post it on if I can?

Akyu's Arcade. See the front page of the site for more information on what the boards are for.

How should I structure the screenshots (as in how many can I have in one post, etc.)?

Images, as per the Rules board, are to be 640x480. There's no specific limit for the number of images you can have in a post, but just don't go nuts with like 20 screenshots in a single post or something.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
Hmm this is something i've seen on the forum but don't understand. what is NSFW cause i suck with abbreviation.

« Reply #242 on: December 19, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
Hmm this is something i've seen on the forum but don't understand. what is NSFW cause i suck with abbreviation.

Not Safe for Work.

It is used to warn the recipient to not open the message at the office or near young children, because the message contains sexual or repulsive content. Commonly, NSFW is used when users like to forward lewd jokes or crude videos to their friends. Considering that millions of people read their personal email/browse the internet at work, the NSFW warning is helpful in saving people potential embarassment with their coworkers or supervisor.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #243 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
@Tengukami: Thanks for the info!
Please watch warmly for first post, then.

@Drakums: Happy now?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:14:34 AM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Drake

« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »
[nforza]IT'S WATCH WARMLY YOU IGNORAMUSES[/nforza]

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
Uuuh, to anyone who played Touhou Pocket Wars 2nd, what is Kasen's theme original song?

Here's the link to those who haven't played the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fds9SncZJAw

« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
Uuuh, to anyone who played Touhou Pocket Wars 2nd, what is Kasen's theme original song?

Here's the link to those who haven't played the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fds9SncZJAw

It sounds like this

Drake

« Reply #247 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Sounds to me there might be elements from a bunch of different songs thrown in and an overlying melody. There are a few parts where it seems similar to things like Evening Star, and the saw wave part sounds like Dream Express. In any case, I don't think there's an original.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #248 on: December 20, 2012, 09:01:37 PM »
Sounds to me there might be elements from a bunch of different songs thrown in and an overlying melody. There are a few parts where it seems similar to things like Evening Star, and the saw wave part sounds like Dream Express. In any case, I don't think there's an original.

Alright, that's kind of what I supposed. Thanks for the response.

It sounds like this

Eeeeeh, somewhat c:

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
I thought Kasen's official unofficial theme song was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcixxFWR5Mk

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
I thought Kasen's official unofficial theme song was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcixxFWR5Mk

There is a rather large resemblance. It's pretty radically different from the other remixes though (who usually sticks to the style of the original), so I guess they went crazy on this one and made a half-original theme.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
Oh hey, I loaded up IN to check on the rabbits again.

Stage 5 started with a bunch of high mobility enemies (always moving, 3 facings) who have rabbit ears and no wings. Every enemy after that is a low mobility enemy (always facing front, fixed movement, has a small magic circle) with wings.

At very least, we can now confirm the first wave of enemies as rabbits. And it's easy to conclude that the enemies after them are all intended to be rabbits. But why do those rabbits have wings?

All rabbit sprites are modified fairy sprites. Perhaps without wings, the animation cycle of those rabbit sprites would look very weird, a problem that doesn't exist for the first wave of rabbits, who moved constantly and may change their facings. So instead of drawing new rabbit sprites that look natural, ZUN kept the wings on them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:59:14 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:17 AM »
Momiji's MoF profile states that she's able to see up to 1000 li/ri ahead, which would translate into anywhere from 400 to 2400 miles.
Is Gensokyo even big enough for that?

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
Probably not. Although I cannot find any direct evidence, using Japanese li, 4000km is longer than Japan itself.
千里眼(lit. thousand li eyes) could mean clairvoyance, among other meanings.
Signature

Drake

« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:47 AM »
The Yatsugatake mountain range itself is about 30km north to south, which would be a rough rough rough rough estimate of Gensokyo's size (i.e. from around there to 100km, but probably less).

« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »
Ok, so I have a Touhou OC, so I have two questions that are relevant to her.

1. First, my OC is a homunculous. Her personality is logical, emotionless (she'll 'learn' emotions later), and she's fairly ignorant in subjects that don't involve science or mathematics, including social skills.

Would my character be regarded as...
A) As if she were exactly human, although maybe as a bit weird.
B) As a sort of yokai race that would be considered 'human' and not viewed as suspicion (like the Lunarians, or theranthropes like Keine).
C) As a sort of midway point neither hated by humans nor hunted by yokai (such as yokai-human crossbreeds like Rinnosuke)
D) Considered to be your stock yokai, so far as the human-yokai dynamic is concerned.

2) If she's considered to be human, then quick question. My character only recently arrived in Gensokyo (she was created during a brief spike in belief in alchemy and homunculi, and ended up in Gensokyo when it wained). So she doesn't know much about the human-yokai dynamic. Therefore, she has concluded: "If  some yokai see humans as being different enough from themselves to be food, then it is perfectly acceptable for me to kill and eat any yokai who tries to kill and eat me. Turnabout is fair play." I was wondering what the general opinion would probably be from humans, and possible consequences from her eating the yokai that try to hunt and kill her.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure she'd just be considered a youkai.

Drake

« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »
Notably, very few (if any) youkai actually hunt, so the whole eating scenario is a bit implausible. They're supplied food in Gensokyo's current state.

« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:57 AM »
If you define homunculus as "human created artificially via alchemy", then it's pretty likely that most people (or rather, most non-people) will regard her as an artificially-created human. Something that seems human but isn't quite so. Probably not full-on youkai, though. Humans themselves are probably not quite as perceptive so they'll probably think she's just a rather strange human.

I'm not really sure if killing youkai is something you can do in the first place.

Drake

« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »
even if you killed a youkai it wouldn't die

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
Rough indeed, as Gensokyo's Yatsugatake is taller than Mt. Fuji...I don't know if that would affect that estimate at all though.

Also, is it ever stated as to how long youkai generally live?

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2012, 02:00:46 AM »
Also, is it ever stated as to how long youkai generally live?
Varies, just as other youkai characteristics. Don't know about younger youkai, elder ones are thousands of years. So, Yukari is 1,200 at least, Watatsukis are about 1500, Eirin is "hundred of millions"...
But generally, since youkai don't advance, there's not much difference in, say, Yuyuko's thousand and Remilia's 500.
Stronger youkai usually manage to live longer. Though, we probably can say, e.g. Cirno is elder than Suika, since she represents cold, and cold is oh so ancient thing, while oni cannot be older than the japaneze people.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Drake

« Reply #262 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:44 AM »
It's difficult to say whether or not fairies actually exist for as long as their natural phenomenon does. It wouldn't be very wise to take the extra step in asserting as such.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2012, 03:06:56 AM »
Stronger youkai usually manage to live longer. Though, we probably can say, e.g. Cirno is elder than Suika, since she represents cold, and cold is oh so ancient thing, while oni cannot be older than the japaneze people.

So if someone kills Cirno all the cold from Gensokyo will end?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #264 on: December 29, 2012, 03:08:32 AM »
So if someone kills Cirno all the cold from Gensokyo will end?
I'd like to see how Cirno will be killed. :3

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Drake

« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
fairies don't die even when they're killed

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »
So, how fast is Aya exactly? I know for one that Youmu is very fast. Her spellcards "Blind Cut "Roukan's Bullet-Cutting Third Eye" and "200 Yojana in 1 Slash" seem to indicate that she can indeed move at very high speeds. Nevertheless, Aya is still 'the fastest in Gensokyo'.  I take it that Aya moves at hypersonic (if not greater) speeds?
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
Not sure if there's even an official source for her being "the fastest in Gensokyo". She is certainly considered fast among other tengu though (PMiSS article).

Something like that shouldn't be taken at face value, though. If such a moniker existed, Aya might only be the de facto "fastest in Gensokyo" just because she's fast in general.

Drake

« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
At some point you have to wonder how to compare speed when said maximum speed are basically impossible to capture in Gensokyo. More than that, you need to wonder how useful that extra speed even is, if it's useful at all. I'd focus more on related skills that compliment that speed, such as reaction time and reflex, acceleration, control, decision-making speed; stuff like that. Your speed is useless if you can't use it appropriately.

« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »
Not sure if there's even an official source for her being "the fastest in Gensokyo". She is certainly considered fast among other tengu though (PMiSS article).

There's an official scene somewhere (I think Silent Sinner in Blue?) that goes something like this.

Remilia:  I'm the fastest and strongest in Gensokyo!

Reimu:  I don't know. I thought Aya was the fastest.

Marisa: And Suika's really really strong.

Remilia:  Shut up!

I forget where else it was brought up, if it was.