Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 47466 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #450 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:45 AM »
>Fair's fair.
>"Well, I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the structure part. I barely got a clear look at it myself before that spider girl attacked me. I can tell you it was a torrii gate, but beyond that, nothing. I never even saw the main body of the temple. If it was even down there. But I can tell you that it was down there a long time, or at least, that's the impression I got."
>"As for the sword, it was downriver from that temple. But I don't think it was where I found it for as long as the temple was down there. The tsuchigumo claimed to have thrown it in the river, seemed to think she'd got rid of it forever. It must have washed ashore, though, I found it on dry land. Where she found it, I don't know."

« Reply #451 on: August 22, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »
>Fair's fair.
>"Well, I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the structure part. I barely got a clear look at it myself before that spider girl attacked me. I can tell you it was a torrii gate, but beyond that, nothing. I never even saw the main body of the temple. If it was even down there. But I can tell you that it was down there a long time, or at least, that's the impression I got."
>"As for the sword, it was downriver from that temple. But I don't think it was where I found it for as long as the temple was down there. The tsuchigumo claimed to have thrown it in the river, seemed to think she'd got rid of it forever. It must have washed ashore, though, I found it on dry land. Where she found it, I don't know."

>You decide to give her a proper answer her question. Through it all, the professor fixes you with that intent gaze of hers, occasionally tilting her head sideways - first to one side, and then the other; it almost seems reflexive.
>"An underground river. Interesting. Can you provide a more specific geographic location where these events occurred?"

« Reply #452 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:37 AM »
>"I can, but, I'd like your word that there won't be an expedition there for a while. Historical import or no, that place is still hazardous. Marisa may have dealt with the youkai, but I bet there's still lots of her giant spider friends down there."
>"Plus, the cave entrances were to have been sealed once Marisa's job was done, to keep the surviving spiders locked up. I'd hate for them to be unsealed so soon after the fact, before the villagers plan for dealing with the spiders has a chance to work."

« Reply #453 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »
>"I can, but, I'd like your word that there won't be an expedition there for a while. Historical import or no, that place is still hazardous. Marisa may have dealt with the youkai, but I bet there's still lots of her giant spider friends down there."
>"Plus, the cave entrances were to have been sealed once Marisa's job was done, to keep the surviving spiders locked up. I'd hate for them to be unsealed so soon after the fact, before the villagers plan for dealing with the spiders has a chance to work."

>"Sealed?" She frowns; you're a little uncertain whether this is from concern or merely disappointment. "I take it matters there are somewhat more complicated than we have already covered. In any case, our field resources are quite tied up with the current expedition, so I imagine this provision would be granted circumstantially, even without specific strictures in place. Nevertheless, I assure you that full caution and discretion will be exercised in any future investigation this might precipitate."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #454 on: August 22, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »
>"My news is a bit out of date, though, so maybe things will be a bit more amenable to exploring once current events settle down."

« Reply #455 on: August 22, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
>Assure her, "Just the entrances, not the caves themselves. It's a long story, yeah, which I'd be happy to tell you, once the more immediate problem is solved."
>And with that said, fill her in on where we found the spider hole.

« Reply #456 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
>"My news is a bit out of date, though, so maybe things will be a bit more amenable to exploring once current events settle down."

>She nods. "Yes, of course."

>Assure her, "Just the entrances, not the caves themselves. It's a long story, yeah, which I'd be happy to tell you, once the more immediate problem is solved."
>And with that said, fill her in on where we found the spider hole.

>She nods again. "We are all beholden to our circumstances, and I appreciate sparing me even this much under your own."
>You provide as accurate directions to the spider caverns as you can manage, given that your own circuitous course to their entrance. You still can't remember much about the trek back, and only narrowly suppress a shudder as you recall that particular journey. It is not a pleasant memory. Not even close. Professor Noritomo listens intently to your directions, occasionally asking for some minor clarification, and nodding as you provide it. She takes no notes, but you're left with the distinct impression she doesn't require them.

>"Thank you very much, um..." She frowns. "I never did catch your name, did I?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #457 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »
>"Nazrin."

« Reply #458 on: August 22, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »
>"Nazrin."

>She inclines her head politely towards you. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Seeker Nazrin. May good fortune smile on your efforts, and I hope perhaps to hear the whole story on some better day. Or, at the least, to know that it has been shared with one of my colleagues; I suspect Professor Kamishirawa could appreciate it rather more than I."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #459 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »
>"Well that's what she gets for being hard to find, isn't it? I tried to tell one of her students, and he wouldn't even give me the time of day. He sure was happy with pawing at my sword, heh. Thanks for your help, Professor."
>Libraryward!

« Reply #460 on: August 24, 2012, 12:30:54 AM »
>"Well that's what she gets for being hard to find, isn't it? I tried to tell one of her students, and he wouldn't even give me the time of day. He sure was happy with pawing at my sword, heh. Thanks for your help, Professor."
>Libraryward!

>The professor frowns slightly as you say this, but makes no further remark, merely nodding once as you gather up your weapon and then take your leave.
>You depart her office and retrace your steps through the hall. Someone seems to have cleaned up the little puddle of water left in the wake of your illusion-thwarting. You give the door a dubious look; it remains smugly impassive. Somehow you're left with the feeling that it's moved again in your absence. Oh well, you have more important things to attend to than recalcitrant architecture. You continue onward.

>The return trip is brief enough and without event; the Academy's population seems content to go about their business and leave you to yours. The interior of the library is also much the same as you last left it - dim, quiet, and well-populated. In fact, you could almost swear that some of the more studious readers haven't moved a muscle in all this time. The woman you spoke with earlier is still at her post; she spares an idle glance in your direction as you enter.

« Reply #461 on: August 24, 2012, 01:33:26 AM »
>Glance around. Does this head librarian appear to have an office in evidence?

« Reply #462 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »
>Glance around. Does this head librarian appear to have an office in evidence?

>There appear to be offices of some sort down the hall past the circulation deck; it's plausible one of them may belong to her, though you're much too far away to examine any for signage.

« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2012, 02:07:22 AM »
>When in doubt, ask.
>Approach the desk jockey once more.
>"Yeah, I'm back. I was hoping to have a word with the head librarian, if that's possible."

« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »
>When in doubt, ask.
>Approach the desk jockey once more.
>"Yeah, I'm back. I was hoping to have a word with the head librarian, if that's possible."

>You approach the circulation desk and inquire after the head librarian.
>The woman nods. "You have some specific business with her, then?"

« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
>"Turns out the information I was looking for here is... obscure, to say the least. I was told she was the woman to talk to about obscure books."

« Reply #466 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:32 AM »
>"Turns out the information I was looking for here is... obscure, to say the least. I was told she was the woman to talk to about obscure books."

>She nods again. "That she is. I believe she should be in her office at the moment." She gestures towards the hall behind her. "Second door on the left."

« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2012, 02:52:11 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Thataway!

« Reply #468 on: August 24, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »
>"Thanks."
>Thataway!

>You thank the woman and proceed to the indicated door.
>While your directions were unambiguous, the door itself lacks a nameplate or any other form of signage indicating who it belongs to. The strikes you as just a touch unusual given the labeling found on surrounding doors; this area seems to contain not only staff rooms, but also several archive and document repositories. One in particular, on the rear of the circulation office, is marked with a sign reading 'Restricted Access'.

« Reply #469 on: August 24, 2012, 03:19:40 AM »
>Maybe she's nameshy. Or just doesn't like to be bothered, Professor Wings back there said as much.
>Knock.

« Reply #470 on: August 24, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
>Maybe she's nameshy. Or just doesn't like to be bothered, Professor Wings back there said as much.
>Knock.

>You knock on the door. There is no response.
>Or rather, the response is delayed just long enough to make you ponder knocking again.
>"Yes." The word that issues from the office is clear and firm and more than a little cold; it doesn't even sound much like a question.

« Reply #471 on: August 24, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »
>Well, Nazrin, you were warned.
>"My name is Nazrin, of the Seeker's guild. May I have a minute of your time?"

« Reply #472 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:43 AM »
>Well, Nazrin, you were warned.
>"My name is Nazrin, of the Seeker's guild. May I have a minute of your time?"

>There is another pause, though briefer this time.
>"Come in."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #473 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
>Enter!

« Reply #474 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »
>Enter!

>You open the door and step inside.

>The librarian's office is surprisingly spartan; there is little furniture, even less clutter, and no decorative or personal objects whatsoever. What few documents and books are in evidence are scrupulously well-ordered; the effect is enough for you to ponder whether the room is in the process of being vacated, though it somehow seems too orderly for this. Sitting at a largely bare desk in its center is a pale woman with pure white hair. She is wearing a blue coat with a brocade collar and holding a large book in her hands, opened to the halfway point. The stare she fixes you with as you enter suggests she would very much rather you be someplace else.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #475 on: August 24, 2012, 04:31:03 AM »
>Don't waver under that stare. She's just going to have if she knows what's good for her.
>"Hello. Professor Noritomo referred me to you to help seek out some obscure information."
>Wave the paper she gave us a bit for emphasis.

« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2012, 04:41:46 AM »
>Don't waver under that stare. She's just going to have if she knows what's good for her.
>"Hello. Professor Noritomo referred me to you to help seek out some obscure information."
>Wave the paper she gave us a bit for emphasis.

>You refuse to waver under her stare, but she doesn't seem about to waver either. You get the distinct impression she's not human.
>You explain why you've come and wave Professor Noritomo's note for emphasis. The librarian briefly shifts her gaze from you to the paper in your hands, though without breaking its intensity. There is a slight pause.
>"Show me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2012, 04:44:53 AM »
>Walk over and hand it to her.

« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2012, 04:59:58 AM »
>Walk over and hand it to her.

>You approach the librarian and hand the note to her. As you do so, she produces a bookmark and inserts in into the leather-bound tome in her hand, then closes it up and places it neatly on her desk. Her eyes don't seem to have left you the whole time; her gaze almost seems suspicious, as if she fully expects you might grab something and run off with it at any minute.
>At least reading the note gives her cause to look elsewhere for a time. In fact, it begins to feel as though she's taking the opposite extreme and pretending you're no longer in the room at all; maybe she's just a slow reader? Would be a little odd for a librarian, though. As you wait, your own gaze falls idly upon the book she just put aside; it looks to be fairly old and the lettering on its cover is faded in multiple places, but you think you can make out the title with a little effort.

>"You wished to see these books?" she interjects in a wintery tone. There's that stare again.

« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
>Does it look like she's indicating the present books, or the ones mentioned in the note?