Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition  (Read 199478 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Shou's second nonspell is really fucking weird, actually.

Sometimes I manage to read it fairly well.

Sometimes I just don't.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the two laser waves come right after another, instead of having a one-second pause between the two.

Why does this happen sometimes? I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong about this.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
Reading Shou's Non-Spell lasers are impossibly hard to read -.- except for her last non spell which is easily cheesed.

Jewelled Pagoda is just a nightmare, bomb at will. 2nd spell, is quite forgiving not too bad but still a fuckery, if you got technique and strategy. Final spell....fuck that, too lazy.

If it's at Normal, sit at the bottom. Neither laser will be able to hit you.

If it's something else, sorry, no way to help.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
@Ace; Yeah no help, playing on Lunatic is just too much, especially after midboss-Nazrin.

@BT; Exactly how i feel, couple weeks ago was 'okay' now i died atleast once during that phase. But hey, I practice like once every 2 days, too much imo just makes me rage and decreases my performance and also exam period :V

« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
The thing about Youmu that makes her playable is that her charge delay is incredibly short (see: frame data).  Only Reimu and Marisa can fire off consecutive lvl1s faster than Myon, and even then it isn't by much.  And those post-spell invincibility frames were all but tailor-made for her lvl1.

Reimu can be effective against the cpu if you fire off successive lvl2s when the cpu has little left in its spell gauge.  But like everyone who isn't Aya or Medi, there are times she'll be devastating and other times where the cpu will breeze past her attacks.  There are some buried motk threads and posts that talk more about character effectiveness (like this and this), which you can find with a tailored google search, but take them with a grain of salt because some people don't know what they're talking about and because everyone tends to omit some critical info.
rage because of how incredibly inconsistent I am
Welcome to the club.
@K.B. - You probably knew this already, but Chiyuri can't bomb when she does a charge attack.
...oh.

I feel dumb now.

That holds for all characters?  It makes sense that it would, but you singled out Chiyuri, so that's why I'm asking for clarification.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
Only Chiyuri and Marisa. Everyone else can bomb at any time. It makes spamming charge attacks on bosses pretty risky.

e: And it's the same for "hypers" or whatever you call them. Those two can't activate it during charge attacks.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:23:13 PM by Zil »

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
Is it just me or are the Fairy Wars B routes harder than absolutely anything else in that fucking game?

I took one look at at the B1 Final Boss's first spellcard, with bullets moving at a speed on par with Mokou's bullshit rings of death non-spell. And I just rage quit the game on the spot. Didn't even bother trying to get further, the speed at which those bullets move just incensed me to such a degree. It was poor balancing when Mokou did it and and time has not sweetened it.

It's absurd. This is Normal mode. Freezing mechanic or not does not give you free reign to pull this sort of shit.

Fairy Wars sucks.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
It's absurd. This is Normal mode. Freezing mechanic or not does not give you free reign to pull this sort of shit.

Precisely why I never unlocked Extra.

Enjoy.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Is it just me or are the Fairy Wars B routes harder than absolutely anything else in that fucking game?
Yep.
I took one look at at the B1 Final Boss's first spellcard, with bullets moving at a speed on par with Mokou's bullshit rings of death non-spell. And I just rage quit the game on the spot. Didn't even bother trying to get further, the speed at which those bullets move just incensed me to such a degree. It was poor balancing when Mokou did it and and time has not sweetened it.
Mokou's are harder to dodge than this, especially since you can dodge 3 or 4 rings while charging a freeze, then freeze then dodge the last 3-4.  Or add a bomb in.
That aside, I agree.
Fairy Wars sucks.
BLASPHEMY

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
Fairy Wars sucks.
Leave. Now.

C2 is easiest route. Go do that.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
Leave. Now.

C2 is easiest route. Go do that.

With some people (Like me) it's not one route they're concerned with, it's beating all of the routes without continuing so that they feel like they really unlocked Extra instead of taking the easy way out (No pun intended) and doing the routes on Easy Mode.

Enjoy.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »
With some people (Like me) it's not one route they're concerned with, it's beating all of the routes without continuing so that they feel like they really unlocked Extra instead of taking the easy way out (No pun intended) and doing the routes on Easy Mode.

This, I have technically unlocked Extra anyway via "Way Of The Coward" but I kinda wanted to do all the routes on Normal anyway.

But after seeing that? Bleh... I feel like my efforts would be better spent playing something less bullshit.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »
To me, it's the difference between beating MoF Normal for the first time by MarisaB (Not fixed) or by ReimuC.

One way will achieve my goal and leave me satisfied with my ability (ReimuC).

One way will achieve my goal only for the sake of achieving my goal but I will feel empty inside (MarisaB).

It's the food-wise difference between a bag of potato chips and a strawberry cheesecake. The bag of potato chips (MarisaB) will be finished quickly and it won't satisfy you as much as the strawberry cheesecake (ReimuC) because there was no structure to the taste, no flavor, and no satisfaction after you finish it. If you're going to eat the bag of potato chips, just eat a big fucking cube of tofu because it's going to taste just as good, and it'll be just as fucking satisfying. With the bag of potato chips you'll just eat more and more and more and there will be no change, but in a strawberry cheesecake there is change in how thick the layers are and how much you're going to have to try to eat them, and you're going to feel really satisfied (And perhaps a little nauseated) after you just demolished that entire fuckin' cake.

Did I just spend the past five minutes talking about food? Apparently I did. But I was comparing cheap accomplishment to satisfying accomplishment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:25:58 PM by Ace »

Enjoy.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
To me, it's the difference between beating MoF Normal for the first time by MarisaB (Not fixed) or by ReimuC.

One way will achieve my goal and leave me satisfied with my ability (ReimuC).

One way will achieve my goal only for the sake of achieving my goal but I will feel empty inside (MarisaB).

It's the food-wise difference between a bag of potato chips and a strawberry cheesecake. The bag of potato chips (MarisaB) will be finished quickly and it won't satisfy you as much as the strawberry cheesecake (ReimuC) because there was no structure to the taste, no flavor, and no satisfaction after you finish it. If you're going to eat the bag of potato chips, just eat a big fucking cube of tofu because it's going to taste just as good, and it'll be just as fucking satisfying. With the bag of potato chips you'll just eat more and more and more and there will be no change, but in a strawberry cheesecake there is change in how thick the layers are and how much you're going to have to try to eat them, and you're going to feel really satisfied (And perhaps a little nauseated) after you just demolished that entire fuckin' cake.

Did I just spend the past five minutes talking about food? Apparently I did. But I was comparing cheap accomplishment to satisfying accomplishment.

Dafuq did I just read?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
Dafuq did I just read?

Actually I was referencing something else (Even though none of my points come from that at all) but my point was still carried, right?

Enjoy.

« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Zil: thanks.

Also: that's really, really weird.  But very good to know.

With this info, in future PoDD sessions, I may be able to keep my blood pressure at a more reasonable level.
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Playing IN lunatic stage 2. Was moving down when i blinked and got hit by a bullet and i completely forgot the consequences of moving down while pressing z and x simutaneously. no deathbomb.
My life is pooey

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
I haven't been this mad at a game in I don't even know how long.

PoFV, normal, 90 FPS, I'm using Reisen.  Standard first 5 stages (no deaths), standard Sakuya (1 death), 1st round Medicine after 3:23.  Effective 4 lives for Komachi and Shikieiki, great.  First rouns over in 1:06, crap, I'm playing bad, but first round doesn't matter anyway.  1:50 later, I lose round 2.  grrrr...maybe I can still win off of score bonus and a good Shikieiki because effective 2 lives going in.  2:04 later, I lose a third round to Komachi.  WHAT THE HELL WHY DID THAT AI GET BETTER FROM ROUND 2 TO ROUND 3???

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »
LLS likes to slow down for a second or two, and then speed up dramatically to match where I'd normally be without the slowdown.

This didn't happen during my Lunatic 1cc last night. :/
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
I'm going to keep this civil but I have to rant again.

UFO is hard for the wrong reasons:

- The UFO system generally is absolutely terrible:
  - UFOs change their colors just before you collect them messing up your plans.
  - Going with the aforementioned thing, they do this just when I'm about to collect the third piece, of all times.
  - When you think you're missing only one piece to have a trio, you notice a fucking blue UFO creeped its way into your inventory.
  - They fly away leaving you with a life/bomb piece less and a not-cleared screen because a shitload of enemies are blocking the way.

- This game has camouflage written all over it:
  - Bullets like to blend in with the environment. (Stage 5, anyone? Of course not, who am I kidding!)
  - Glowing bullets messing up your coordination; hiding behind other bullets and then surprising you.
  - What is with this game's obsession with glowing bullets anyway? Christ.

- Some spells are absolutely terrible:
  - Curvy lasers. No
  - Anchor and fist hitbox. No.
  - Clip-tastic snake lasers. No.

And to top it all, I died during LFO's final slowdown phase. Wouldn't have been a 1cc either way but I finally wanted to get this freaking stage done for once. Slowdown giving you a chance to save yourself my ass, you're basically forced to look at the life meter and calculate the slowdown phase in as to not get a yippie yay yey sudden slowdown OH MY GOD WHAT IS GOING ON surprise. This bullshit doesn't help at all, if anything it just throws you out of focus and gives you a final middle finger to laugh into your face after a long struggling fight.

I hate this game. It's an atrocity. It gives me AIDS, diabetes and hepatitis. And I give up on it for good. May it torture other plays but I'm finished with it.

I hope this kind of ranting is okay but damn no game manages to make me hate it as much as this one does. And that means something.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:32:53 PM by Buu »

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
What slowdown are you referring to during LFS? I think if you're looking at the healthbar, you're spelling doom for yourself from the start. That's definitely one of the Spellcards where you cannot afford to look away.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
I hate this game. It's an atrocity. It gives me AIDS, diabetes and hepatitis.

And yet in none of your complaints is there proof that there's something wrong with the game. Unless you really do think the UFOs purposefully change colors just as you're about to reach them in order to spite, you, personally.

On the other hand, if you feel absolutely no enjoyment from playing the game, then you definitely made the right call in dropping it. Games are supposed to be fun. I will never understand players who keep pounding away at a game out of sheer pride, as some kind of chore, long after they've stopped having fun playing it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
No, nonononono. The game itself is fine, these are just the points that made personally me despise the game more and more because exactly those things happened all the time (I'm not going to condemn the game for these points other than the camouflage part which I feel justified in calling fake difficulty - that may be debatable though so it's entirely okay if I'm alone on this one).

I kind of felt compelled to complete the entire series because practically each game has its own flair that somehow draws me to it (except PoFV but I wouldn't exactly count that one as it's more geared towards multiplayer) but exactly this is not a good idea. I gave it several tries, I tried to reeeeeeaaaally like the game but after these countless sessions, it's safe to say it's nothing for me. Not everything can appeal to me, as much as I'd like them to.

It's this stupid habit of keep pounding away at games until I turn around in disgust instead of simply saying "nope, I don't like this" and leave them as is. Oh well. Point made, now I shut up about it.

What slowdown are you referring to during LFS? I think if you're looking at the healthbar, you're spelling doom for yourself from the start. That's definitely one of the Spellcards where you cannot afford to look away.
It's the slowdown that occurs when you deplete all health and right before the boss explodes. It's not exclusive to UFO though - but I still damn it, it cost me a lot of lives in other games too! :(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:40:45 PM by Buu »

Tengukami

« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
Oh, you don't need to shut up about it. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who do think UFO is broken and seriously flawed, for many of the same reasons you've listed. So I was just making sure about where you were coming from here.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
It's the slowdown that occurs when you deplete all health and right before the boss explodes. It's not exclusive to UFO though - but I still damn it, it cost me a lot of lives in other games too! :(

Ah, I see, I see, I've mostly considered that advantageous since it's slower, but I can definitely imagine situations in which the slowdown could actually throw you off track. However, even with the slowdown, I think you're better off focusing on the pattern, that phase in particular requires your full attention. Usually, that tone that starts when the healthbar is almost entirely depleted is good enough an indicator anyway - try to get used to that, I think it could be a great help if that's what you're having problems with.

Zil

« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
except PoFV but I wouldn't exactly count that one
:(

Yeah, your complaints about UFO's bullets are well founded. I like the game a lot, but I'd still agree that the glowing bullets really detract from it.

Tengukami

« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
ADDITIVE BLEND 4 LYFE YO

« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
Tengukami you are a horrible person.

« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
Nah, he's just not a Lunatic player so he doesn't truly know the horror!

Annoying bullet type sure, though they are pretty.

@Buu: I was in pretty much the same boat as you a while back. The game has fiendishly difficult patterns among them (and I consider some of these patterns to be among the hardest patterns I've played in any STG) and it doesn't show any mercy. To learn the game is a hellish journey but if you keep at it (in manageable intervals) it will reward you in the end when you finally start doing better at it.

So uhh, I advise you don't drop it completely. If you need a break then take one but try coming back for it later.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
Star Sapphire.
Star Sapphire.
STAR SAPPHIRE.

All of your Route 2A spells are the most annoying thing on  this side of the freaking earth. I hate you. You knock my lives from 7 to 0 because of Shooting Sapphire. This is practically the reason I haven't beaten route B1 on Normal. If it weren't for Star Sapphire, I would make it to The Three Fairies with more than one life. You ruin 1cc runs, despite being a stage before the end of the run. Please run into Marisa and collide with every laser she sends at you, every little star she wants to fire, and every broomstick she wants to hit you with.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »
I HATE DEVIL'S RECITATION